Spinoff: If your man lost everything...

Question for those of you who are in a relationship now or thinking of getting into one.

Black women have often times been criticized for being gold diggers. Don't pretend like some of you aren't. :look: :lachen: - I saw some of the "he owes me" responses. LOL

In the "pay my bills thread" - everyone pretty much agreed that they didn't expect a man to pay their bills unless you hit some hard times and you really needed assistance.

Anyway, we all know that sometimes life throws curveballs at you and what was given to you is not necessarily promised tomorrow or a month from now.

That said, suppose that you began a relationship with a man who was well off - not necessarily rich but suppose he say...owned his own business and made a pretty good income.

At this point for the sake of argument let's say you've been dating for a year or so.

If he lost his business (through no fault of his own) - lost everything...would you still stick around even if it meant it might take him years to rebuild what he had when he met you.

Or let's say he works for a huge corporation and makes a lot of money - let's call the business Enron...

then it goes under and he's left with nothing...

Would you be willing to help him through difficult financial times even paying a few of HIS bills (if you had the means) the way you would expect him to assist you if you hit a financial hiccup.

Just curious...:perplexed

Also, if you say you're willing to help...how long do you suppose you would feel that way before you finally walked out the door.

I would stay. It would be very hard for me to walk away since we've already established a solid foundation within our relationship. On that note, I honestly don't know how long I would be supportive. If this occurred within a marriage then I wouldn't walk and would do whatever it would take to get through it which includes taking on a larger responsibility in the handling of our finances. In a relationship, it would all depend on how he handles this situation. I wouldn't mind helping him out financially; however, he has to want more for himself and work towards rebuilding. I'll gladly be a source of support to help him get to where he wants and needs to be.

Hmm.

If we were just dating, no. If we were engaged, maybe.

Married? I'd be much more willing to stick it out if the crisis was through no fault of his own. It'd be really hard for me to handle if he lost everything due financial irresponsibility, gambling, drugs, etc.

Back