Spinny ...... $100 engagement ring yay or nay

moda

I know so many women who say they would refuse an engagement if the ring does not meet certain criteria some of them already have their engagement rings picked out :look: and I wonder if they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

So if your boyfriend got down on one knee with a sterling silver CZ would you accept?

lol....you trying to stir stuff up aren't you...:lol:

It doesn't matter the cost of the ring, it's his intent that matters....:look:

It doesnt matter to me either. Funny thing is, I wind up getting the ring that was costly (not 100 grand though) and met all the typical criteria.

ETA damnnear a whole day later: Wow, even though I answered the question properly I sorta misread it. I dont care about big or small diamonds and all that jazz,...that didnt/doesnt matter to me at all... yet I wound up a beautiful real ring waaay beyond my expectations. I do care whether it's real though...I wouldnt want a CZ. I dont wear fake anything...it does not have to be extravagant but HELL YES to authentic.

Last edited:

who me :look: :nono: :lol:

Honest question I hear so many people with the specs on their ring with no man in sight and I was just wondering because it was not really important to me, yet my dh thought it was and I would have rather had that money in my pocket :look:

I know so many women who say they would refuse an engagement if the ring does not meet certain criteria some of them already have their engagement rings picked out :look: and I wonder if they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

So if your boyfriend got down on one knee with a sterling silver CZ would you accept?

:nono2: *gasps* Sterling silver? CZ?? There will be an immediate end to the relationship! :lol:

^LOL I can't help it... I have a type of ring in mind and that ain't it. My ring won't be $5K, but it better be more than an iPad. lol

I also have a type of house in mind, schools for my future children in mind, and type of marriage I would like to have. No harm in putting your desires out into the universe.

Damn all that! :lol:

I don't need some ridiculously expensive, ginormous diamond, but he needs to do better than than that.

I can't wear sterling silver cuz I'm allergic. :lol: :look:

As much as I want a nice ring, I also thing there's something to be said for doing things in order. I'd much rather have an understated ring and some assets rather than a dope ring...and a lease.

My good friend - her man proposed to her with a very (half carat ring in 14K wg) simple ring and a bank statement showing that he had $35K that she didn't know about saved up for their first down payment. They bought their house together, he moved in first and at their wedding he gave her a box with a key-chain and her key to they house they bought. And three years later he upgraded her ring to a 2.5 carat stone. She wears the upgrade on her right hand, and cherishes the humble ring. (They're both black BTW)

I guess ... Come with sumthin...! :lol:

Damn all that! :lol:

I don't need some ridiculously expensive, ginormous diamond, but he needs to do better than than that.

I was being sarcastic...:lol:

Honest answer though, I can't wear CZ....it actually breaks me out so I'd know if it was CZ.

As much as I want a nice ring, I also thing there's something to be said for doing things in order. I'd much rather have an understated ring and some assets rather than a dope ring...and a lease.

My good friend - her man proposed to her with a very (half carat ring in 14K wg) simple ring and a bank statement showing that he had $35K that she didn't know about saved up for their first down payment. They bought their house together, he moved in first and at their wedding he gave her a box with a key-chain and her key to they house they bought. And three years later he upgraded her ring to a 2.5 carat stone. She wears the upgrade on her right hand, and cherishes the humble ring. (They're both black BTW)

Aww, I love it!!!

I was being sarcastic...:lol:

Honest answer though, I can't wear CZ....it actually breaks me out so I'd know if it was CZ.

I knew you were, I'm just saying cuz I know someone will come in here and say it and be serious! :lol:

It actually breaks me out too, I can't do any kind of fake jewelery.

who me :look: :nono: :lol:

Honest question I hear so many people with the specs on their ring with no man in sight and I was just wondering because it was not really important to me, yet my dh thought it was and I would have rather had that money in my pocket :look:

The cost isn't important to me BUT it needs to be real whatever he buys.

This sounds like the most reasonable compromise... bc errrrrm... if you got me a $100 ring because you just have no money all around, nah dude... we gone put this on the back burner (and potentially find other partners eventually depending on the likelihood of your potentiality to develop into some actuality).

Id like to say I would but I know my DH and he'd sell a kidney before he came at any woman like that. He'd buy the smallest, clearest diamond he could afford.

It doesn't matter the cost of the ring
, it's his intent that matters....:look:
We'll see.:lol:

Seriously though, I had a few styles in mind but once I started trying them on the ring I decided on is rather understated. That being said, my understated ring cost more than $100 in OP's post.

Acceptable metals were: white gold, platinum, titanium, yellow gold.
Acceptable stones were: Genuine diamond, ruby, tanzanite, sapphire.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

Now that I'm thinking about it, I would rather have a decent ring than huge wedding. At this point in my life, I could totally go to a Justice of the Peace and call it a day, or a small destination wedding.

I love your honesty :lol:

My man knows not to get me a sterling silver or CZ ring because I would laugh so hard and walk away with him still on his knees. :lachen: He'll be looking around like...:look:

With that said, I don't need a crazy expensive ring or even a traditional diamond ring - I've always wanted a sapphire engagement ring :love2: but a sterling silver CZ ring??? Nah son! He is showing me that he no longer loves me and I can't marry someone that doesn't love me. :lol:

I don't believe in cheap gifts. Simple is fine, but I think cheap (and fake) sends the wrong message. If money were that pressing of an issue, I'd prefer to forgo the engagement ring entirely and just get bands.

I'm just going to sidestep this issue by not dating any men who I could see pulling a stunt like buying a $100 engagement ring :lol:

Yep! :yep: That's what I'm saying. I'd prefer that any day.

I don't believe in cheap gifts. Simple is fine, but I think cheap (and fake) sends the wrong message. If money were that pressing of an issue, I'd prefer to forgo the engagement ring entirely and just get bands.

ITA on the bands idea. I'm not super particular but a cheap fake ring is unacceptable, especially if he's riding around in a nice car with name brand clothes and expensive gadgets with savings (in other words he has the means to do better and doesn't skimp on himself).

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I agree...cheap and fake definitely sends the wrong message. At least give me a dang ring pop so I can eat the ish after I kick you to the curb. :drunk:

Nay, I would actually be offended. If he doesn't think my hand in marriage is worth more than $100 when he probably have shoes that are worth more, then I would kindly tell him no.

Sent from my HTC EVO = TYPO GALORE!

Back