So why doesn't Tyra rock her NATURAL hair?

THANK YOU. People can't stand the fact that Beyonce, seems to "have it all", so they HAVE to find something wrong, hence the obsession with proving she's bald headed:yep:

Well I didn't say anything about Beyonce being Bald Headed..I just said here is her natural hair since someone said Beyonce doesnt wear her real hair because she doesnt have the guts..I dont think shes bald but her hair isn't anything special. It looks thinned out to me but who cares she freaking gorgeous.

I think it just depends on the stylist and if the celeb cares. For example we all know celebs like Naomi Campbell couldn't care less about their hairline, therefore dont care how the wig is slapped on as long as it looks good. Beyonce and Tyra rotate to different phony pony hairstyles and thus need their edges. Thats my theory.

And LMAO these are all i COULD FIND besides this one

Beyonce%2520Real%2520Hair%25202.jpg

I found one... And from the looks of it, it's a weave anyway.

012.jpg

I couldn't find the other one but I know I've seen it on this board before. This picture here looks more realistic like it could be her hair. Way more realistic than the one from the airport.

001.jpg

We've seen her hairline and it's not damaged. Nor is her nape. There were some pictures in OT recently with an updo and you could see it. She's no Naomi Campbell.

I remain skeptical. How can you wear an LF 24X7 and not damage your hairline? No way.:nono: Photoshop or Toppik hair spray (fine keratin hairs that look just like your hairline), I guess.:yep:

I remain skeptical. How can you wear an LF 24X7 and not damage your hairline? No way.:nono: Photoshop or Toppik hair spray (fine keratin hairs that look just like your hairline), I guess.:yep:

They were red carpet candid photos so they weren't photoshopped. It wasn't from a studio photoshoot.

In all honesty, lately her wigs haven't looked like lacefronts to me. They don't have that baby hair on them. They look a HAM, IMO but they could just be regular full wigs. And everybody doesn't use glue or tape on the hairline. You can pin it on like a regular wig. Some members here on the board do this. I think Ediese does. I've never had any of my wigs come off with the combs in them. It's really not that hard.

ETA: Also, some people just don't have problems with their edges. I wore wigs, braids and weaves for years and my edges never got pulled out. And my hair is fine. I did have problems with damage other places but not the edges. My problem spot is below my ear on the left side. Some people have problems with their nape or crown.

Last edited:
How do you know if she's insecure? How do you know that her hair won't grow? Isn't that myth something that we're trying to dispel?

I dont think her cornrows is a lacedfont. On one of her shows, she had her hair braided and it looked just as healthy as it did on this show. The girl is smart. She knows what she's doing. And whether she wears her weave or not, she's just as black as all of us African Americans.

I did not say "her hair won't grow." I said when I've seen it out over the past few years, it has been NL-SL. You inferred what you chose. Had you asked if that were what I was saying, I would have told you no. :)

I think it is a lacefront because when I've seen her own hair cornrowed, it looks significantly different than when she has a lacefront set or hair added in. It looks remarkably and inarguably different. :)

And if you think she is smart, that is fine. I did not say she is an idiot, or that she does not no "what she is doing." I would not make an assessment of her intelligence, because I don't have a basis or report from which to do so. If you thought I did decide she was a clueless idiot, I'd like to know what you thought I was saying she doesn't have a clue about... making money or having healthy hair? I said nothing about her intelligence, or about her blackness. You came to a lot of conclusions. :spinning:

From what I have seen, her hair is NOT healthy. I did not say it can't grow. In the state it's been in each and every time I've seen it, it's not healthy in its condition; I was disregarding length. I referenced her length not to suggest it can't grow, but to point out the fact that she switches it up in terms of styles, color and cut, and that no matter what, I've never seen it as healthy.

ETA: And sorry, I forgot to address one of your questions. I know she's insecure at times about her hair, shape (and other things that are contributed to by her blackness), and that she feels held to intimidating and far-reaching standards because she's admitted to it from her own mouth on shows and in interviews. If you are adamant about questioning it, I can find you references and links. :)

If you have more questions based off what I've actually said, feel free...

Last edited:
Well I didn't say anything about Beyonce being Bald Headed..I just said here is her natural hair since someone said Beyonce doesnt wear her real hair because she doesnt have the guts..I dont think shes bald but her hair isn't anything special. It looks thinned out to me but who cares she freaking gorgeous.
Not you in particular. Just people in general, especially on this board.:yep: People forget, beyonce in the early dc days wore her real hair and it was luscious and thick. Even lately she has been wearing her real hair and it's healthy and very long.

ETA: And sorry, I forgot to address one of your questions. I know she's insecure at times about her hair, shape (and other things that are contributed to by her blackness), and that she feels held to intimidating and far-reaching standards because she's admitted to it from her own mouth on shows and in interviews. If you are adamant about questioning it, I can find you references and links. :)

This is true......

Actually I was thinking those cornrows were a lacefront. I think Tyra has worn a cornrowed lacefront before.
I'm so glad someone finally said this. I'm no expert, but it definitely looked like she cornrowed one of her lacefronts yesterday. All that perfect baby hair in front seemed to match other wigs I've seen her wear.

The part about her being smart was just my personal statement. All of the other stuff that I said still stands. Y'all need to stop the jealousy and hatred.

I did not say "her hair won't grow." I said when I've seen it out over the past few years, it has been NL-SL. You inferred what you chose. Had you asked if that were what I was saying, I would have told you no. :)

I think it is a lacefront because when I've seen her own hair cornrowed, it looks significantly different than when she has a lacefront set or hair added in. It looks remarkably and inarguably different. :)

And if you think she is smart, that is fine. I did not say she is an idiot, or that she does not no "what she is doing." I would not make an assessment of her intelligence, because I don't have a basis or report from which to do so. If you thought I did decide she was a clueless idiot, I'd like to know what you thought I was saying she doesn't have a clue about... making money or having healthy hair? I said nothing about her intelligence, or about her blackness. You came to a lot of conclusions. :spinning:

From what I have seen, her hair is NOT healthy. I did not say it can't grow. In the state it's been in each and every time I've seen it, it's not healthy in its condition; I was disregarding length. I referenced her length not to suggest it can't grow, but to point out the fact that she switches it up in terms of styles, color and cut, and that no matter what, I've never seen it as healthy.

Okay, I might be wrong. You are correct, could be wearing wigs and yes I am familiar with Ediese's technique.

She did wear LF's for a long minute though. She just might have good edges. Thanks girlfriend. Enlightenment is so cool.:yep:
They were red carpet candid photos so they weren't photoshopped. It wasn't from a studio photoshoot.

In all honesty, lately her wigs haven't looked like lacefronts to me. They don't have that baby hair on them. They look a HAM, IMO but they could just be regular full wigs. And everybody doesn't use glue or tape on the hairline. You can pin it on like a regular wig. Some members here on the board do this. I think Ediese does. I've never had any of my wigs come off with the combs in them. It's really not that hard.

ETA: Also, some people just don't have problems with their edges. I wore wigs, braids and weaves for years and my edges never got pulled out. And my hair is fine. I did have problems with damage other places but not the edges. My problem spot is below my ear on the left side. Some people have problems with their nape or crown.

But Tyra is not a model anymore. She retired. Even if she is wearing wigs as a protective style, it doesn't answer why we never see her wearing her natural hair when she's out and about. If you're going to make a show about people accepting their natural hair then at least wear your own hair out once in a while. It doesn't have to be everyday or even every week, but I'm sure she could wear it out once every couple of months while she's out doing some shopping or something.

I have to agree with this.

What's the harm in wearing her hair out every now and then on her show and at public events. Oprah does it, why can't she? Robin Roberts (Good Morning America) does it, why can't she? Tomiko (model) rocks her natural sometimes (see link), why can't she? http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EyCA6TjvWv4/R5y7smc5BVI/AAAAAAAAAwA/kQaabJy05aw/s400/tomiko2.jpg

It's hard for me to swallow that it's an external reason -- society, industry, stylists, etc. -- at this time of her life (post retirement). I tend to feel like it's an internal reason -- preference, insecurity, etc. At the same time, I'm not there with her so I don't know what she's experiencing. I can only speculate.

Now, don't get me wrong. Tyra can go ahead and do whatever she wants to do. We can ALL choose whatever it is we want to do with our hair. I just question if her words were words she merely felt towards her guests and not necessarily towards herself. Your hair is beautiful as is; you don't need the Hannah Montana wig. Lady, your face stands out better in your natural hair than with that wig/weave. Etc. If she feels similarly about her hair - that she too is beautiful in her real hair - then why hide it so much post retirement. And under those super straight wigs. (At least Oprah rocks some curly/wavy ones.) I now understand the importance of listening to your agency and wearing that LF in order to book that show ... but post retirement? I merely wonder ... that's all.

And also, to wear her hair out, does not necessarily mean in a fro as clarified earlier. Real hair does not equal fro. Cornrows, twists, updos, buns, presses, rollersets, strawsets, etc. All of us on the board (I hope) know the versatility of hair - natural or relaxed.

Last edited:
Zara - this post is not directed at you, but I quoted you just so I could respond to the wig/weave comment.

She has said many times that she wears a wig. I remember her talking one day about it coming off when she stayed over somebody's house one night and how she tied her scarf to prevent that from happening. She said in the show yesterday that she wears wig. She also wears weave and talked about that. I think it's funny that everybody scrutinizing her show doesn't even watch it or maybe has caught it once or twice. How can you speak so much about something you really haven't even studied enough to form an opinion about. Just loud and wrong.

Also why does everybody think that just because you're natural (especially those people who are not natural) you have to wear your hair out or in a fro. Everybody doesn't like fros and it takes a lot of preparation and manipulation to get your hair to stand up in a fro. Who has time to do that everyday? And more importantly who wants to deal with the tangles it produces at the end of the day everyday? That's part of the reason why children who are natural keep their hair braided and plaited. To keep it from tangling and shrinking back on itself because nobodies mama wants to wet and detangle from root to tip everyday. Why are people acting like they don't know this? When you wear a child and natural did you wear your hair out in a fro everyday? So why does a grown woman who is natural have to?

Great Post!!!..."Loud and Wrong":lachen::lachen::lachen:

I have to agree with this.

What's the harm in wearing her hair out every now and then on her show and at public events. Oprah does it, why can't she? Robin Roberts (Good Morning America) does it, why can't she? Tomiko (model) rocks her natural sometimes (see link), why can't she? http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EyCA6TjvWv4/R5y7smc5BVI/AAAAAAAAAwA/kQaabJy05aw/s400/tomiko2.jpg

It's hard for me to swallow that it's an external reason -- society, industry, stylists, etc. -- at this time of her life (post retirement). I tend to feel like it's an internal reason -- preference, insecurity, etc. At the same time, I'm not there with her so I don't know what she's experiencing. I can only speculate.

Now, don't get me wrong. Tyra can go ahead and do whatever she wants to do. We can ALL choose whatever it is we want to do with our hair. I just question if her words were words she merely felt towards her guests and not necessarily towards herself. Your hair is beautiful as is; you don't need the Hannah Montana wig. Lady, your face stands out better in your natural hair than with that wig/weave. Etc. If she feels similarly about her hair - that she too is beautiful in her real hair - then why hide it so much post retirement. And under those super straight wigs. (At least Oprah rocks some curly/wavy ones.) I now understand the importance of listening to your agency and wearing that LF in order to book that show ... but post retirement? I merely wonder ... that's all.

And also, to wear her hair out, does not necessarily mean in a fro as clarified earlier. Real hair does not equal fro. Cornrows, twists, updos, buns, presses, rollersets, strawsets, etc. All of us on the board (I hope) know the versatility of hair - natural or relaxed.

She's not retired. She may not walk the runway anymore but she still has a boss at the Tyra Banks show. She is still working. I think she has more control on ANTM than the talk show. She does wear curls and waves sometimes. She had waves yesterday. But she usually wears long hair. She wore a big curly fro during judging on Top Model before. Both looked better than that straight blonde mess she had been wearing the past few months. Also, she is not on Oprah's level. Oprah has been in the talk show business for 20+ years. Tyra is on what year 4 or 5?

I so agree with you :yep:. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when ANYone doesn't practice what they preach. Tyra should be the last one to look down on those parents who decide to do what they do to their children's hair. She herself is a role model to millions of young girls (and she herself acknowledges this) so what else is a young girl supposed to think when they see blonde, long and straight weave wearing Tyra on their TV set?

If Black women as a collective want our younger generations to learn to love their "blackness" we must lead by example and show that we love and embrace what makes us black and beautiful.

I do have to say that when one hosts a Daytime TV show and asks people hard questions and gives them a hard time about their choice of hair style, they should not be surprised when the same question is thrown back at them. She opened the door for this. If she didn't feel comfortable talking about her own hair, then she shouldn't have hosted a show about this particular topic.

Her hosting style is more like Dr. Phil's in that it is "prescriptive", so of course she is going to face criticism the same way he faces criticism.

I am so sick of people accusing others of Hating just because they have a criticism of anyone. Tyra obviously thought it important for black women to wear their hair in the natural state, or else she wouldn't have been trying to do the show for 3 years. So the question about why she does not wear out her own hair is indeed valid.

"JUDGE NOT LEAST, YE BE JUDGED. I think it's intresting that people r going to SPECULATE AND ASSUME , all this stuff. I think there are a lot of undercover haters that need to worry about thereselves and others who ask there opinion . and if u hate fer show so much WHY DO U WATCH it ? Does ur T.V. not turn? I personally think shes a great rolemodel for black woman and think if people would look at the positive things they just might learn something . im going to leave this here, because theres way to much energy being put into this post.:wallbash:

For the most part, I agree with many of these posts defending Tyra. At core, she, like most of us, was born into a world that pretty much from day ONE told us the following:

a) Being pretty is a female's duty.

and

b) "Nappy" hair is ugly.

But for Tyra, it didn't stop there. She went into the BELLY of the beast! The American beauty industry. And, by playing by their rules, became arguably one of the most successful supermodels of them all! The stuff you have to do to get there doesn't just slide off of you. You internalize some of it. You get caught up in stuff. I'm sure she has people "advising" her. Giving her all kinds of conflicting messages. Generating even MORE insecurity.

Divas like Tyra and Beyoncee (and even Oprah and--I dare say--Michelle Obama) are PAVING THE WAY for our Afro-haired daughters of the future by providing a basic CONCEPT of a black woman holding such high positions (ie a lot of whites wouldn't even be able to IMAGINE these things without them). But they are clearly signaling to us via their actions/choices that this society is STILL not a safe enough place for them to feel comfortable showing that part of who they are. It IS a pretty vulnerable part for many of us (especially those of us who were not only told this stuff by our families and friends, but by the AMERICAN PUBLIC AT LARGE!)

So the truth is, the very FACT that they are on TOP of their game, YET don't sport naturals isn't so much about THEM as it is about what is going on at the grassroots level. WE are the foot soliders. If we want to see natural divas, we need to buy more India Irie, Jill Scott, Macy Grey etc. We need to write to the production companies. We need to pull out all the stops! Encourage MORE shows like the one Tyra did. Have our hair dillemmas on the tips of the tongues of women (and men) of ALL races!

Basically, if we don't start a mini-revolution within each of us everyday folk, we won't see change on the stage. Think about it, if, when folks thought of a black woman (whether they were black or white), they EXPECTED to see a head full of beautiful, dense, coils or twists etc., and were actually DISAPPOINTED or turned OFF when they didn't see it, BEST believe those executives would get the message QUICKLY. It's ultimately about the bottom dollar.

Maybe this show was Tyra's cry for help/mobilization. Maybe we should all write her exectives on BOTH of her shows and threaten to boycott if they don't let her show her hair IN PEACE! LOL! Who knows....:drunk: It's possible...

"JUDGE NOT LEAST, YE BE JUDGED. I think it's intresting that people r going to SPECULATE AND ASSUME , all this stuff. I think there are a lot of undercover haters that need to worry about thereselves and others who ask there opinion . and if u hate fer show so much WHY DO U WATCH it ? Does ur T.V. not turn? I personally think shes a great rolemodel for black woman and think if people would look at the positive things they just might learn something . im going to leave this here, because theres way to much energy being put into this post.:wallbash:
:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

For the most part, I agree with many of these posts defending Tyra. At core, she, like most of us, was born into a world that pretty much from day ONE told us the following:

and

b) "Nappy" hair is ugly.

But for Tyra, it didn't stop there. She went into the BELLY of the beast! The American beauty industry. And, by playing by their rules, became arguably one of the most successful supermodels of them all! The stuff you have to do to get there doesn't just slide off of you. You internalize some of it. You get caught up in stuff. I'm sure she has people "advising" her. Giving her all kinds of conflicting messages. Generating even MORE insecurity.

Divas like Tyra and Beyoncee (and even Oprah and--I dare say--Michelle Obama) are PAVING THE WAY for our Afro-haired daughters of the future by providing a basic CONCEPT of a black woman holding such high positions (ie a lot of whites wouldn't even be able to IMAGINE these things without them). But they are clearly signaling to us via their actions/choices that this society is STILL not a safe enough place for them to feel comfortable showing that part of who they are. It IS a pretty vulnerable part for many of us (especially those of us who were not only told this stuff by our families and friends, but by the AMERICAN PUBLIC AT LARGE!)

So the truth is, the very FACT that they are on TOP of their game, YET don't sport naturals isn't so much about THEM as it is about what is going on at the grassroots level. WE are the foot soliders. If we want to see natural divas, we need to buy more India Irie, Jill Scott, Macy Grey etc. We need to write to the production companies. We need to pull out all the stops! Encourage MORE shows like the one Tyra did. Have our hair dillemmas on the tips of the tongues of women (and men) of ALL races!

Basically, if we don't start a mini-revolution within each of us everyday folk, we won't see change on the stage. Think about it, if, when folks thought of a black woman (whether they were black or white), they EXPECTED to see a head full of beautiful, dense, coils or twists etc., and were actually DISAPPOINTED or turned OFF when they didn't see it, BEST believe those executives would get the message QUICKLY. It's ultimately about the bottom dollar.

Maybe this show was Tyra's cry for help/mobilization. Maybe we should all write her exectives on BOTH of her shows and threaten to boycott if they don't let her show her hair IN PEACE! LOL! Who knows....:drunk: It's possible...
LOVE this post!

and

b) "Nappy" hair is ugly.

I like this post a lot. Very articulate and well put. You've made some very good points.

why is it that whenever a woman has an issue with another woman, especially an attractive one, it's because of jealousy? isn't that a bit juvenile? no one came in here and did anything other than call her a hypocrite (and maybe insult some of her weave choices :lachen:). whether you believe her to be a hypocrite is up for grabs, but i don't see the supposed jealousy. she's a role model, and has said it herself i believe, so i think it would be irresponsible for people to just inherently praise everything the woman does.

why is it that whenever a woman has an issue with another woman, especially an attractive one, it's because of jealousy? isn't that a bit juvenile? no one came in here and did anything other than call her a hypocrite (and maybe insult some of her weave choices :lachen:). whether you believe her to be a hypocrite is up for grabs, but i don't see the supposed jealousy. she's a role model, and has said it herself i believe, so i think it would be irresponsible for people to just inherently praise everything the woman does.
i think it's because nobody ever has a substantive counter argument

Why do the majority on here think that she has to have severe personality/acceptance issues just because she wears a wig/weave? Everyone on here knows she's a celebrity, and our hair is "brittle" enough without all that styling they have to go through. I wouldn't wear my real hair either, tbh. There are plenty of you on here who wear wigs/weaves regularly. Not to mention, who knows what the woman does in the privacy of her own home? I'm pretty sure she's got enough money to take that mess out, and have it put back in for her show.

Sorry if it sounds like I've gone on a rant, but I really hate it when it seems like people want to see nothing but negative about a person. It's hateful. At least give the woman props for trying.

Why do the majority on here think that she has to have severe personality/acceptance issues just because she wears a wig/weave?

I think human nature is to rely on stereotypes as they're easier to access and don't require complex or critical thinking on our parts.

The (rather simple-minded) stereotype is that of the Black woman who has a sense of inferiority or self-hatred, who straightens her hair.

When in actuality, the reasons for straightening one's hair are often a lot more complex...but people are often too lazy to give that much thought, so they fall back on stereotypes, instead, to make judgment calls about an individual or about a particular group.

As I mentioned earlier, when my family was in the Nation of Islam and the Black Panthers, the vast majority of the women involved in our locale had relaxed hair...

And they were a lot more "pro-Black" and doing a lot more for their people than anyone on this forum is doing by simply passing judgment from the comfort of their home keyboards.

Wearing your hair natural, relaxed, whatever says pretty much nothing about you as an individual. I've seen "step and fetchit" mentalities amongst both relaxed, AND natural individuals...so I refuse to try to assume that I know anyone's motives for their hair choices.

It's ignorant... (sorry to sound so embittered in the end, but damn I get tired of this weak *** argument over and over again)

Being pro-Black isn't about your hair. It's about your contributions to your people. Our ancestors marched, had police dogs sicced on them, and were hosed down in the streets with firehoses fighting for their children's rights to education and equality. That was being pro-Black.

Today, being "pro-Black" is wearing your hair in a natural state and judging everyone else who doesn't? Give me a freaking break.

Last edited:
Back