article: Natural hair doesn't make you 'Blacker'

I really don't understand why it's such a, I guess shocker, that so many women are going natural! I relaxed until I was 23, a year ago, then I decided to stop. Point blank period. I don't feel any blacker than I was before I don't feel the need to compare myself or put anyone else down because they choose to do something I did for years. For whatever reason this chick is angry that's completely on her. Gtf stop trynna bring everyone down with ur bs! Thx

Chris Rock's Good Hair movie wasn't thought provoking to say the least LOL. This lady needs to stop sniffing the creamy crack and appreciate those in their journey as she is in hers. The pride I have in caring for my natural hair has nothing to do with being more "black" or thinking i'm better. It's the fact that i've always been told I had bad hair and i'm realize after all these years that isn't the case for any of us. I can care for my hair in it's natural state. Natural AA hair is beautiful and far from scary or bad. But she clearly doesn't get it. And what do WW have to do with relaxers? Sounds like she's voicing some internal issues.

Chris Rock's Good Hair movie wasn't thought provoking to say the least LOL. This lady needs to stop sniffing the creamy crack and appreciate those in their journey as she is in hers. The pride I have in caring for my natural hair has nothing to do with being more "black" or thinking i'm better. It's the fact that i've always been told I had bad hair and i'm realize after all these years that isn't the case for any of us. I can care for my hair in it's natural state. Natural AA hair is beautiful and far from scary or bad. But she clearly doesn't get it. And what do WW have to do with relaxers? Sounds like she's voicing some internal issues.
I completely agree and thanks is not enough!

:wallbash: I don't know which is worse: This NEW segregation of blacks (relaxed vs naturals), or the fact that Chris Rock is getting credit for the "natural trend."
SIGHHHSSS!!!!! There will always be complaints of the black community. Damned if we do, and damned if we don't. I'm so sick of it all.

She has a HUGE chip on her shoulder.
Also did anyone notice that she basically said I DON"T LIKE MY HAIR so I perm it. HELLO! not everyone w/ a relaxer is self loathing but...

Last edited:
With that said, I agree that natural hair doesn't make you blacker and relaxers don't mean you're self-loathing. I just object to the comparison to White women and extensions because they are very clearly altering their appearances within the confines of their own beauty traditions. They seldom if ever alter their appearance to venture outside of those bounds.

To say white women with extensions are altering their hair within the confines of " their own beauty traditions" is a subjective, loose statement. "Their" beauty tradition of wearing extensions to have long hair are also "ours" and everybody else's. Long hair is a beauty tradition/concept that affects all races apparently or we wouldn't have this forum.

To her point what I think she's trying to say here is that chemical straighteners are not such a deep race issue. Lots of white women (along with loads of hispanics, Asians and all other women for that matter) go to great lengths to straighten their hair are not wearing their "natural" hair (due Brazilian keratin treatments, hair dyes extensions, etc.)

And to say white women with extensions are altering their hair within the confines of " their own beauty traditions" is a subjective, loose statement. "Their" beauty tradition of wearing extensions to have long hair are also "ours" and everybody else's. Long hair is a beauty tradition/concept that affects all races apparently or we wouldn't have this forum.

Beauty traditions vary more by culture/region than race.

I think what she meant by the bolded is that "we" tend to get hair extensions/weaves/wigs that mimic other races' textures Type 1-2. Typically when European or Asian women get hair extentions/weaves/wigs they are not Type 3b-4b.

I think what she meant by the bolded is that "we" tend to get hair extensions/weaves/wigs that mimic other races' textures Type 1-2. Typically when European or Asian women get hair extentions/weaves/wigs they are not Type 3b-4b.

Indeed but the point of what the writer of the article was saying is that never the less whites alter their natural hair through different means, as do blacks and other races. Race should really play less of a role here.

And actually thinking back to the 80s and early 90s curly perms were quite popular amongst whites and even some Asians. I mean of course they couldn't make their hair as curly as type 3b or type 3c hair but that was in style for a bit.

Back