♥~♥ SINGLE MOTHERS SUPPORT THREAD! ♥~♥

I posted this in the Dave Ramsey thread, but lemme post it again.

I think I may have some good news. I don't wanna count my chickens before they hatch, but it does involve an extensive FBI background check, credit check, residence check and a bunch of other stuff lol. Pray for me y'all and send me good vibes.

Hmmm... I met mom briefly on Halloween. The first thing she did was give my son a big hug and said call me "pink pink" ( that is what her grandchildren call her). We did not talk much because we took two cars and was driving behind the children.

She misses her grandchildren. They have been at my house everyday now for about a week. At first, I thought she was trying to undermine me because Cali would tell her they are having dinner over here and she would go out and buy them McDonald's (yuck! Lol). But now I understand their eating schedule too. They have "lunch" after school and then dinner at 7-8. That is a lot of eating in my book. They already have breakfast, lunch and two snacks at my son's school.

The children get along very well. My son is very protective of his daughter, but he is like that with younger children. Cali was voicing his concerns about his son not including the daughter in play and sometimes our sons gets carried away with video games and stuff the boys do not include her. Well Cali was like I am going to take the children home. I said "bye!" Are you really about to run off?! I asked why and he said he felt his daughter was being left out and that his son should be more accommodating. I told him straight up, wrong! Especially taking them out of the environment, my home!

I told him I was his daughter growing up. My brother was one year older than me and I wanted to tag along and do things with his friends. I missed out on Barbies and things trying to fit in with the boys. And it definitely did not work. There will never be an equality, because boys have their own thing. Though inclusion is nice once in awhile, unfortunately she has to find her own thing and I, as another female, will give her more attention, that is what she needs.

He felt insulted that I compared his daughter to my experience, because he has raised his children by himself for the most part, he knows his children, he must protect them. I said cute babe, but no matter how much you try to protect her, you cannot give her the same thing feminine energy can. Just like when he was telling his son, it is okay to be sad and frustrated, that men do all the time. I said there will always be a disconnect between me and my son, because it has a different energy. I cannot grasp a male perspective. Similarly with men raising young women.

You cannot run because YOU feel your daughter is being left out. Because once we move together, where are you going to run? We have to solve these things here and now.

That day I took her out, we had brunch, I bought her a dress, did her hair, then he came home and she jumped on her IPAD while we caught up with our day then me and her watched SpongeBob, he wanted alone time but was bother the boys were not playing with her. Everyone was chilling and you come in with your anxieties. Fuqq that! I just felt it was ridiculous to want to leave because of that. So I felt my short, angry "bye!" Was warranted. Old me would have said a lot worse. Like yeah, bye neegro...

Anyways, he mentioned this morning he told his mom about that particular disagreement. Neegro! Sigh...what did she say? Madison is right. The children love her, if you love her and want her to be a part of your life, CO parenting is going to happen. Yasssss, mom!

Cali is the reason I give my child so much independence. He was the only child, product of a divorce, like my son and mom coddled, I believe. I give my child SPACE. He has coddled the his son and daughter. It unfortunate that the people we chose as spouses did not work out, but you cannot protect children from all yucky feelings, you handicap them. I remember when I was having a grown up conversation and his son remarked, "I was lazy, I just slept." My son looked at him like "neegro."
So I said, "so I did not run out and buy YOU donuts this morning, wash dishes, clean YOUR room, run to the store to get you a video game, then cook YOU lunch." And you did exactly what today? Move along... one thing I don't do is talk back, or out of bounds questioning. I need to have one on one outings with him too. He is older and may be dealing with female abandonment issues because of his mom. That really hurts little boys so it is important to turn that around. I need to give him more attention too because he is talking out of terms to test my boundaries.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I met mom briefly on Halloween. The first thing she did was give my son a big hug and said call me "pink pink" ( that is what her grandchildren call her). We did not talk much because we took two cars and was driving behind the children.

She misses her grandchildren. They have been at my house everyday now for about a week. At first, I thought she was trying to undermine me because Cali would tell her they are having dinner over here and she would go out and buy them McDonald's (yuck! Lol). But now I understand their eating schedule too. They have "lunch" after school and then dinner at 7-8. That is a lot of eating in my book. They already have breakfast, lunch and two snacks at my son's school.

The children get along very well. My son is very protective of his daughter, but he is like that with younger children. Cali was voicing his concerns about his son not including the daughter in play and sometimes our sons gets carried away with video games and stuff the boys do not include her. Well Cali was like I am going to take the children home. I said "bye!" Are you really about to run off?! I asked why and he said he felt his daughter was being left out and that his son should be more accommodating. I told him straight up, wrong! Especially taking them out of the environment, my home!

I told him I was his daughter growing up. My brother was one year older than me and I wanted to tag along and do things with his friends. I missed out on Barbies and things trying to fit in with the boys. And it definitely did not work. There will never be an equality, because boys have their own thing. Though inclusion is nice once in awhile, unfortunately she has to find her own thing and I, as another female, will give her more attention, that is what she needs.

He felt insulted that I compared his daughter to my experience, because he has raised his children by himself for the most part, he knows his children, he must protect them. I said cute babe, but no matter how much you try to protect her, you cannot give her the same thing feminine energy can. Just like when he was telling his son, it is okay to be sad and frustrated, that men do all the time. I said there will always be a disconnect between me and my son, because it has a different energy. I cannot grasp a male perspective. Similarly with men raising young women.

You cannot run because YOU feel your daughter is being left out. Because once we move together, where are you going to run? We have to solve these things here and now.

That day I took her out, we had brunch, I bought her a dress, did her hair, then he came home and she jumped on her IPAD while we caught up with our day then me and her watched SpongeBob, he wanted alone time but was bother the boys were not playing with her. Everyone was chilling and you come in with your anxieties. Fuqq that! I just felt it was ridiculous to want to leave because of that. So I felt my short, angry "bye!" Was warranted. Old me would have said a lot worse. Like yeah, bye neegro...

Anyways, he mentioned this morning he told his mom about that particular disagreement. Neegro! Sigh...what did she say? Madison is right. The children love her, if you love her and want her to be a part of your life, CO parenting is going to happen. Yasssss, mom!

Cali is the reason I give my child so much independence. He was the only child, product of a divorce, like my son and mom coddled, I believe. I give my child SPACE. He has coddled the his son and daughter. It unfortunate that the people we chose as spouses did not work out, but you cannot protect children from all yucky feelings, you handicap them. I remember when I was having a grown up conversation and his son remarked, "I was lazy, I just slept." My son looked at him like "neegro."
So I said, "so I did not run out and buy YOU donuts this morning, wash dishes, clean YOUR room, run to the store to get you a video game, then cook YOU lunch." And you did exactly what today? Move along... one thing I don't do is talk back, or out of bounds questioning. I need to have one on one outings with him too. He is older and may be dealing with female abandonment issues because of his mom. That really hurts little boys so it is important to turn that around. I need to give him more attention too because he is talking out of terms to test my boundaries.
I don't like the out of boundary questions either and I feel you on the female abandonment issues. I and totally get the giving more attention. But I don't know how, due to mistrust.

I don't like the out of boundary questions either and I feel you on the female abandonment issues. I and totally get the giving more attention. But I don't know how, due to mistrust.

We got into another parenting tiff this morning. Normally, my son gets ready for school, by himself. I inspect and he goes on his way. He is 9. I let him do those things.

Cali was like I notice you get yourself ready, but you never get him ready. You should cook him breakfast. I cook my children breakfast, I drop them off at school etc. They will appreciate it. I remark, I pay for my son to eat breakfast at school, it is a waste of resource or money one or the other. I don't try to stifle my son and he feels just as much love as your children do.

We have very different parenting styles. I am not saying mines doesn't lack. I do recall my granny cooking breakfast for me every morning. I did not eat at school and gave my lunch money to someone who needed it, because I knew, when I got home, my granny would have a home cooked meal for us. So I understand, I do. And my granny would be upset I gave money away, but I wasn't a wasteful child...I am not going to spend money because I can and my son takes after me. When I sit and ask my son what he wants, he is very neutral, like me. He doesn't have strong convictions when it comes to everyday stuff.

Cali has his children come in and do homework right away. They eat two breakfasts and two lunches and dinner at 7-8 and he wonders why he is overwhelmed. I say my son relax, eat a bit, he can cook something in the microwave, de-stress, then attack his homework then whatever. I am coming from work. I am trying to do the same.

Not saying who's way is better, because children are individuals. It's just learning how to co parent. It is interesting he preference the conversation with I like to spoil my two princesses (daughter and I) and princes (our sons).

My thinking is children are special. People are special. People can be special to you and that is alright, but prince and princesses we are not. Nothing is given, except love. We still have to work for the things we want. I am not going to set my son up thinking the world will cater to him. It is a hard knock.

OMG he customizes the meals for the children. I told he I am not cooking 5 different meals for five different people. I will cook one meal and if you eat, you eat. I was at the store and he was like we'll daughter is going to want this, she does eat that so we can cook this instead and...for three folks. I sat in the parking lot for 30 minutes, went back home and ordered a pizza.

These things puzzle me...lol

I feel my son is a reflection of him (only child of divorced parents) and his daughter is a reflection of me (sister close in age to a brother doing their own thing and constantly seeking inclusion). So where does his son fit in in this evolving family unit? We have to give him more attention. He may feel the same way and wondering where he belongs. That is why he is acting out. I am thinking about taking him Christmas shopping with me, just me and him when my son is with his dad.

Also there is a possibility, I am the only woman they have been introduced to and their mom is absentee. They are expecting the same pattern. Just have to reassure I am here. It will be okay regardless

Last edited:
I feel my son is a reflection of him (only child of divorced parents) and his daughter is a reflection of me (sister close in age to a brother doing their own thing and constantly seeking inclusion). So where does his son fit in in this evolving family unit? We have to give him more attention. He may feel the same way and wondering where he belongs. That is why he is acting out. I am thinking about taking him Christmas shopping with me, just me and him when my son is with his dad.

Also there is a possibility, I am the only women they have been introduced to and their mom is absentee. They are expecting the same pattern. Just have to reassure I am here. It will be okay regardless
Have you had to deal with any issues from the mom and the child being used/caught in the mix, or is the mother completely out of the child's life?

Have you had to deal with any issues from the mom and the child being used/caught in the mix, or is the mother completely out of the child's life?

She is completely out. They go to see their maternal grandmother during the summer, but, according to him, she is never around. But again, that is from his perception. I am always wary of men who say women never do. The truth is in the middle, but clearly those children are receiving some psychological effects. They haven't lived with her in 5 years. The baby girl is 6.

Hey Strangers!!!!

I have been off and on the board so much that I forgot about this thread.

My Js have been keeping me busy along with my day job and trying to get my biz up.

My oldest two have graduated and are in college. My baby is a senior!!! I am excited for her to go to college too. It's crazy bc right now I only have one child at home. My son moved in with a friend and I only see him if he needs a ride or mommy attention.

Middle one is away at college but chat with her daily. Plus she's only two hours away.

Just dropping by to say hi and give an update. Will be back soon.

M

hi mom's! y'alls a quiet bunch!

anyhoo so ready for dd dad to take his turn. as usual he ****s with the December schedule to spend more time with his girlfriend family.

then he wants to switch weekends around to sync them up with gf routine. I'm like NOOOOOO. So he finds other manipulative passive aggressive ways to get what he wants. he wears ya down with 5011 tactics. ignore? ok but we need to trade off.

****ing narcissist. can't believe it took me forever to see it.

anyway I'm just tired. it's not just my kid but this seems to be THE house and, with the exception of Christmas morning, every kid on this block been rotating in and out since Friday. my nerves are bad what with being an introvert.

whew! ok that's off my chest.

My son asked me where his dad was.

I was stuck for a moment because he's never asked this question before. It's always been him and me. I think I handled it well.

Him: Where is my dad mom? Is he deceased?
Me: *shocked for a second* Well son, I think deep down inside he was a good man, he just wasn't ready to be a father.

Him: but you're here.

Me: I didn't have a choice. Wait, let me rephrase that: I did have a choice and I chose to love you. I carried you for 9 months in my belly, pushed you out, and cared for you when you were a helpless baby and I still care for you.

Him: *looks like he's about to cry*
Aww, that's my mommy

Then he gives me a hug :cry3:

My son asked me where his dad was.

I was stuck for a moment because he's never asked this question before. It's always been him and me. I think I handled it well.

Him: Where is my dad mom? Is he deceased?
Me: *shocked for a second* Well son, I think deep down inside he was a good man, he just wasn't ready to be a father.

Him: but you're here.

Me: I didn't have a choice. Wait, let me rephrase that: I did have a choice and I chose to love you. I carried you for 9 months in my belly, pushed you out, and cared for you when you were a helpless baby and I still care for you.

Him: *looks like he's about to cry*
Aww, that's my mommy

Then he gives me a hug :cry3:
awww what asweet boy you have. and yes, you handled it well. be prepared for more questions. i'm sure he will want more details as he gets older.

these fathers, i swear. cant win for losing. they stay around, they cause or bring drama. they leave it causes strife and drama too. lawd! :pullhair:

awww what asweet boy you have. and yes, you handled it well. be prepared for more questions. i'm sure he will want more details as he gets older.

these fathers, i swear. cant win for losing. they stay around, they cause or bring drama. they leave it causes strife and drama too. lawd! :pullhair:
Aww thanks :D
I don't know why they have to make life so difficult.

Workplace vent... So, I'm sitting at my desk minding my business and my co-worker comes by to tell me about some speaking engagement going on Wednesday evening and then he proceeded to tell me that I can't go because of childcare.

I told him that childcare isn't an issue for me and that I could attend if I wanted to. What a jerk... don't assume that because I'm a single mother that I don't have adequate childcare. That's none of his concern!

Workplace vent... So, I'm sitting at my desk minding my business and my co-worker comes by to tell me about some speaking engagement going on Wednesday evening and then he proceeded to tell me that I can't go because of childcare.

I told him that childcare isn't an issue for me and that I could attend if I wanted to. What a jerk... don't assume that because I'm a single mother that I don't have adequate childcare. That's none of his concern!
Wow. How presumptuous!!

I'm dating someone now and my 7 year old feels threatened. He told me this morning that he doesn't want me to have a boyfriend because he's scared I won't love him as much anymore. :cry:
awww your wee man will adjust in time. just make sure you guys squeeze in really good quality time alone to make him feel reassured.

Hey y'all I'm bumping. It seems this thread was activr at one point but kinda fizzled. Single mothers have unique challenges when navigating through dating, coparenting relationships. etc. I was pretty actively putting myself out there but have fizzled out. After my vacation next week I plan to really make an effort to go out and socialize

Hey y'all I'm bumping. It seems this thread was activr at one point but kinda fizzled. Single mothers have unique challenges when navigating through dating, coparenting relationships. etc. I was pretty actively putting myself out there but have fizzled out. After my vacation next week I plan to really make an effort to go out and socialize

Good luck!

I've gone quiet too. Concentrating on other things. IDK if I want to be out there again any time soon.

I completely understand. I see why single mothers just stay single. lol. Raising a child, is exhausting. Add an adult male in the mix and you rethink why you're even dating
True. My guy and I are still going. I’ve had some moments when I wanted to call it off in order to keep control of my life, but I’ve managed to calm myself down.

We start premarital counseling this week, and I’m looking forward to putting everything on the table. He’s not a fan of counseling at all, but it’s a non-negotiable for me so he’s onboard. :look:

True. My guy and I are still going. I’ve had some moments when I wanted to call it off in order to keep control of my life, but I’ve managed to calm myself down.

We start premarital counseling this week, and I’m looking forward to putting everything on the table. He’s not a fan of counseling at all, but it’s a non-negotiable for me so he’s onboard. :look:
Congrats!

I completely understand. I see why single mothers just stay single. lol. Raising a child, is exhausting. Add an adult male in the mix and you rethink why you're even dating
My neighbor, ww single mom, didnt bother after her bd left. I came along when her daughter was 14. She seriously never had a man.

The dd now 21. As soon as her daughter hit 18, mama ran right out and found a man. i mean it seemed like literally the next day!! lmao. Theyre still together too. Both late 50s. I really dont want to wait that long tbh.

Do you guys introduce your children to the men you date? Personally I feel a bit odd about that, my son has never seen me with a man and I won't introduce them until I find someone who I feel is serious, long term partner material.

Do you guys introduce your children to the men you date? Personally I feel a bit odd about that, my son has never seen me with a man and I won't introduce them until I find someone who I feel is serious, long term partner material.
That was my view until I met my current guy who has two kids (I have one). His thought was to get everyone together to see how we mesh. He said he and his kids are a package deal so no use moving forward if I hate them. So we all met around 3 months in I think. We’re going on 2 years now.

Back