"Protective Stylin" for the last 3 months CHALLENGE!

Checking in!
I've been bunning my hair almost every single day! :reddancer:
I wore my hair out twice, once last week Saturday, and once yesterday. I'm at that point in my stretch where there's enough new growth to give the hair some volume, but not so much that I look a HAM with my hair out, so I've been enjoying that in between place. :lol:
Besides bunning, I haven't been doing much to my hair. I shampoo, DC and rollerset once a week, and I pretty much try to keep my ends moisturized and sealed in between rollersets. At night, I braid or bantu-knot my hair, because I find that the texture that I get when I take them down in the morning makes my buns look less anorexic. :grin:

Well...I was twisted up for the beginning of the month, and just braided my hair on thursday...I expect these to last two weeks:yep:

haven't used heat since last december and don't plan on it anytime soon:drunk:

this is so exciting...my first challenge! :spinning:

Hey guys, checkin in! :wave: My hair is doing great. I'm wearing box braids under my wig instead of cornrows. I like that I can moisturize and seal my ends this way, just as if my hair were loose; only no detangling to worry about.

Wanted to post a pic of my remi wig that I'm rockin right now.

remi.jpg

checking in: Still wearing my pixie braids :) I redid the front but they got messy again (they get messy fast! I don't really mind the frizz though.) The only thing is, I don't really feel that pretty with them in unlike my twists. I don't know, they're very thin unlike my twists and I''d like to just get a kinky weave so I can look cute without worrying about my hair. (Also the new engineer that I'm assigned to work with in my group just happens to be very cute:rolleyes: so this may be the reason why I'm fighting to not take out these pixies and just do a nice twistout during meeting days...)

My hair is pretty short so I'm not really sure if having it in pixie braids is protecting the ends or if I HAVE to put it in a bun...

p_00109-vi.jpg

p_00111-vi.jpg

Sooooo cute Rei!! I would trip an old lady for pixies that full! My hair is super duper fine. I think your pixies are definitely protective, but you must be careful as your ends are still exposed. After moisturizing be sure to seal with something super heavy like castor oil; or even, dare I say it?! Vaseline :shocked: :grin:

Now about this cute engineer. Don't forget, we've got emergency passes; sounds perfect for those meeting days :yep:

updating:
last week i clarified, did a protein treatment (aphogee two-step) and DC'd. I re-braided my hair in one cornrow (going in circles as if I was getting a sew in). This will stay in till mid December. So far I'm four months post and yeah, I can see why it's hard for people to transition after that last wash. But, fortunately my hair will be braided, and I won't be dealing with these two textures till next year.

Other than that, I'm still recovering from a set back, but yet, I can still see A LOT of growth. I'm waiting to do a length check in December.

Checking in :grin:

So The first pic is my starting photo. I straightened my hair in late sept and did a light trim. I am currently in a natural weave and will keep it in till the end of oct.

I wash with shampoo every 2 weeks and I moisturize the hair underneath every other day. To blend the weave I spritz my hair with a water and glycerin mix, I flatwist my hair and seal my ends with castor oil daily.

My hair at the Begining of this challenge
DSCF2107.jpg

Current PS
DSCF1998.jpg

Close up to show blending and hair texture. (ignore my brother in the background)
DSCF2001.jpg

Checking in.

Wore my hair straight for a week (oh, the reversion!). Washed and Dc'd last night, no noticeable heat damage. Rather than cornrowing my hair, I did two cornrow from ear to ear (as an anchor for my half wig) and did 6 braids, which I then cornrowed. This way, my application of moisturizers/sealants at night will be more thorough but my hair and ends are still protected in braids. The front section of my hair is out, of course.

OMG PPG0069, what kind of hair is that?!!! I LOVE IT!!! I need specifics, girlfriend! Maker? Cost? what length is that? OMG, I must have that look for my cruise. Must have, you hear me?! hahaha

Checking in. Still PS'ing. My stretch is going smooth so much. NG in the back is getting a big more coily and thick but the front and middle are still wavy so combing is still not a problem. Ya'll PS are pretty!

Wow this so FUNNY! Ive been doing this myself on my own without even knowing their was a challenge. I co wash every morning and bun. AT night I rinse out the kinky curly and massage my scalp and add Ovation (megaTek when i run out) or MN and a little EVOO. I only gave myself 4 heat passes. but I dont even think Im gonna use all of those! SO im definitely down. Im trying to hide my hair so that in January when I color my length and Color witll be a surprise and I'll have Lots of healthy hair!!

-My protective style of choice is bunning.
-I will PS for ALL months
-I promise to adhere to the heat rules! Yes and I will NOT use all the heat passes!
-I will update at least once every two weeks! Yeah I might slack on this one but I'll try.

checking in....a lot has happened since I did the BC. Sometimes I'm glad and sometimes I'm sad but I just stepped out on faith, prayed about it and did it myself. Rather I did it right is the big question but it's ok. I can ask my aunt to shape it up at thanksgiving. lol.

Right now I'm still rocking my half wig but as a full wig and wearing headbands and scarves with it. Today I just have the wig on but it's cute. I'm not discouraged about my BC because even after a week I can see growth but my scalp has been itchy and my hair is dry in some places. Don't know if it's scab hair or not and the nape is just wow, it's not curly, wavy, straight or kinky it's just there. lol. But I know that my hair is going to grow the way it's suppose to grow - curly.

I haven't used any heat, still co-washing (although I'm thinking about co-washing everyday but it's about to get cold so I'm still thinking), started using sulfate free shampoo by L'Oreal, using leave-in cond, baggy every night with shea butter sealing with evoo.....I finally found Giovanni in Target last night so I'm going to pick up some of their Claifying shampoo since that's also sulfate free. My sister and I are sharing products now so she's also following the baggy method, using moisturizers without mineral oil the only difference is she's going to stay relaxed. Ok got get back to work.

Last edited:
Hey Sheba1!!! The hair I used is called "Indi Afro Curl" its made by Model Model. I used the 12" in 1B and it was 54.99 and my local BSS. it comes in 14" and 18" as well. I used one pack, but I have a really small head :grin: so judge accordingly.

I am finding that this hair needs moisture so I Co-wash it every couple days and to keep down on tangles I let the hair dry in 4 to 6 big twists... Glamazini on youtube has some great tips on how to care for this hair and the website you can buy it from... I will provide a link!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do4GVGj1cq4

Hey Sheba1!!! The hair I used is called "Indi Afro Curl" its made by Model Model. I used the 12" in 1B and it was 54.99 and my local BSS. it comes in 14" and 18" as well. I used one pack, but I have a really small head :grin: so judge accordingly.

I am finding that this hair needs moisture so I Co-wash it every couple days and to keep down on tangles I let the hair dry in 4 to 6 big twists... Glamazini on youtube has some great tips on how to care for this hair and the website you can buy it from... I will provide a link!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do4GVGj1cq4

PPG you are the bomb!!! Thank you so so much for info and the links!! This is so going in my head like by the end of next week. Oh yeah! :lol:

@mz.new-new: your wig is so darn cute!!
small update on me: I'm still in the same sew-in. i finally got brave enough to wash it, so hurray for that. here's a pic-not a really close one, but you get the idea-it's an angled bob. the hair was regular old cheap BSS brand-i'm a college student on a budget. :sad:
freshmenyearuofi006.jpg

Got large cornrolls almost two ago. Oil almost daily with castor oil. Gonna take down this week henna treatment-deep condition and back in braids I go ;)

Hope am not late for this..i agree to do protective styling. I will use cornrows and i will check in every 2 weeks. I dont ever use heat anyway.

What PS? LOL am still new

Add me in pls.

Quick Question:

Okay, I know that certain styles are considered protective, but is there some definition? For instance, I know that a bun is a protective style. I assume it is because there is little manipulation over time and that your hair is up. However, is there a list of protective styles or just certain criteria that the style has to meet?

I am bunning currently, but I can see myself getting very bored with this before December. I am not into wigs and weaves because I will scratch my scalp off, but there has to be some other things I can do with my own hair. I miss my twists and curls, but maybe that is considered protective...I just really do not know.

Oh yeah :grin:, I am absolutely loving my Good Hair Day pins.............should have gotten these a whole lot sooner but I was just able to find them! I will definitely be cutting back on making my buns with a pony, even if it is with a Goody Ouchless elastic band.

Girls i am doing the best protective style right now.
I have my hair part in 2 done in pigtails i tuck those suckers underneath put on my silk scarf and put mu cute hat over it and vuala styling done
I have really gotten into lazy man mode so i only comb my hair once every 2 weeks and thats when i wash it but i do mn my head every night i know nasty but its cold in NY i cant be bothered

Back