"Protective Stylin" for the last 3 months CHALLENGE!

Count me in!!! I'm really pushing for APL by Dec 31st so I need to retain as much as I can
-My protective style of choice is bunning till Thanksgiving or till Oct 31st. Weave from thanksgiving or the 31st till Dec 31st
-I will PS for 1, 2 or ALL months: all 3 months baby!
-I promise to adhere to the heat rules (I have an engagement party to attend on the 18th of this month so ill be using one of my heat passes...lol)
-I will update at least once every two weeks.
APL HERE I COME (fingers crossed)

Last edited:
It has only been a week barely and everything is going great for me so far. I love my wigs...I like the diversity to be able to change my look whenever i want. I am currently 11 weeks post relaxer and am shooting for 30 weeks. So, I think it s time to up my DC treatments. How are you other ladies doing so far?

Ok, I just wanted to share a little something something. I was at the BSS picking up some Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer because a friend recommended it for laying down my edges with my buns. Well, I have been a little bummed because I have not been wearing my hair wild and free (I know only 3 days in). This lady buying a weave or a wig turns to me and says: you have beautiful thick hair. It just confirmed for me that no matter how I am wearing my hair, it is still beautiful (as long as I take care of it).

Thanks I needed that b/c I am so weak and I want to wear my hair down so bad. I see all these girls walking around with their fly hair cuts. Gotta be strong!!:spinning:

Sade'

No problem. I am still holding strong too. That night I went out again and a cashier at Walgreens said..."You have such pretty curly hair." I was 2 for 2 that day. She asked what I did to it and I told her I stopped relaxing my hair and gave her some info (websites). We may have helped another young lady discover how beautiful her hair is with or without a relaxer.:grin:

Since signing up I have been bunning using one of those donut forms you find in the BSS that is wrapped in synthetic hair so even if I don't spread my ponytail out as well no one can tell. I also picked up some S Curl no drip activator which is laying down my new growth and making my bun look smooth and neat. I'm likin this PS thang.

Okay so I am rocking my usual bun today(goody ouchless elastic band, ends two strand twisted, wrapped around the pony and pinned).....I may mix it up a little with my flexi-8 (I like to use those to pin up a single plait). Today my bun is lower centered so tomorrow I will go for a higher off center bun.........I try to switch up the location so that I do not put excessive stress on one location.

I really need to try and find the Good Day Hair Pins so that I can start doing more buns without the ouchless elastic bands.

i hope i can still join?

-My protective style of choice is twists / braids / buns
-I will PS for ALL months
-I promise to adhere to the heat rules

Update 1:

This is the half wig that I will be wearing as a protective style.
IMAG0676.jpg
Braid w/ side bun
IMAG0681a.jpg

I straightened my hair today to do a length check. This is the first time I've attempted straightening since beginning my HHJ. I stretched my hair overnight, then blow dried and flat ironed it today. I was sort of heavy handed with the heat protectant, as I'm deathly afraid of heat damage. I then did a silk wrap and went under the dryer for 15 min - doing so was counterproductive bc my hair started to revert (and is continuing to do so as I type). I should have taken pics before the silk wrap:ohwell:, here are the pics taken afterward:
IMAG0701.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg
I will be wearing my hair in a bun for at least a couple of days, then I will braid it up and go back underneath my beloved half wig. I don't know if I'll straighten again at the end of the challenge. I don't really have a desire to straighten my hair and am weary of the amount of direct heat required.

A month ago, I had a setback as a result of The Great Knot Debacle of 2009.
Here's pic from one of the affected areas taken today:
IMAG0703.jpg

i got a sew-in weave done on saturday and then got it cut into an angled bob at the salon down the street. the lady was used to getting weave cut requests, it seems, cuz she didn't bat an eye when i was explaining it to her. :grin:
this is gonna be great-now i don't have to worry about hair for a while...and i'll still be looking cute. :grin:

Update 1:
I straightened my hair today to do a length check. This is the first time I've attempted straightening since beginning my HHJ. I stretched my hair overnight, then blow dried and flat ironed it today. I was sort of heavy handed with the heat protectant, as I'm deathly afraid of heat damage. I then did a silk wrap and went under the dryer for 15 min - doing so was counterproductive bc my hair started to revert (and is continuing to do so as I type). I should have taken pics before the silk wrap:ohwell:, here are the pics taken afterward:
View attachment 43922
View attachment 43920
your hair looks great, rosa!!:grin:
i really like that half wig as well

I'm in!

-My protective style of choice is pixie braids in a bun until I get paid, and then a sew in
-I will PS for ALL months
-I promise to adhere to the heat rules: This will be easy, I don't even use heat :grin:
-I will update at least once every two weeks. :drunk:

Can I still join puh-lease!!!!! I'm gonna need to PS in order to make sure I get to APL by the end of the year

your hair looks great, rosa!!:grin:
i really like that half wig as well
Thanks so much, Rocky! You don't know how much that means to me. My hair was a h.a.m. before I started transitioning (I was getting relaxers every 4-8 weeks, using flat irons and curling irons almost everyday, never moisturizing, rarely dc-ing), so I was pleasantly surprised to see the progress I made when I straightened my hair today. I know I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

I really like the half wig too:love:. I didn't even try it on in the store, so I was elated to see that it looked so nice, esp after I did some finger combing.

I wish you much success on the PS challenge! That angled bob cut sounds fab! (And weaves were my first love:giggle:).

My update: Sorry No pics yet

Still in Kinky twist 2 weeks in --- will DC and do a steam treatment. Hair feels great but I do have to redo my edges my hair is growing! whooohooo!!!

I'm seriously hoping for Shoulder length come December. :)

Next week I have to take a new photo for my jobs website and I can't take it in a bun nor do I want to wear a wig and my hair is not in photo condition right now. Although it has length my ends are thin and it probably needs to be cut up to my chin. I was going to wait until after this challenge to get it cut so that hopefully it wouldn't have to be cut so short but looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet. I made a hair appt for in the morning. This sucks because it ruins my stretch and I may have to drop out of the challenge if I end up with no hair on my head. :cry::cry2::cry2:

I did some braids took them out yesterday. If I get the time tomorrow. I will put my twist in. I decided to wait on the sew but I will see how I feel.

is it to late to join?

-My protective style of choice is BUN
-I will PS for 1, 2 or ALL months ALL
-I promise to adhere to the heat rules YEs
-I will update at least once every two weeks. YEs

I'm In.

• -My protective style of choice is sew- in weaves. I will also be doing corn rows, tree braids, and two strand/kinky twists.
  • -I will be protective styling for all of the 3 months, so that when the new year year comes, I can start something new.
  • -I promise to adhere to the heat rules(5 heat passes).
  • -I will update at least once every two weeks.

Just a small update...

I was waiting for my Qhemet order to come in the mail so I could use it to twist my hair. I don't like it for that purpose. I think I will stick with using shea butter.

Now, I know I said I was going to do three months, but I am really going to have to start on this weekend. School has prevented me from being able to do my hair. I will have to actually start this Friday-since class is canceled:grin:.

Ladies, you can join at any time before we're halfway into DEC. Just remember to post your stats. :D

Been on break from work so I've just been lounging @ home w/ my silk scarf chillin on my head ALL the time.

I an rocking a bun right now and have been for the past two weeks. Got tired of my half wig. But can I tell you, this bun is sooo boring!!! What are you ladies doing to spice up these buns?? I may get a domincan rollerset this weekend for my DD's 1st birthday party. We will see.. I am in the hide your hair challenge as well, lol so that goes a bit against the rules..

I'm a little late on this one, but I'm in.

I'll be protective styling as of this coming Saturday.

-My protective style of choice is two strand twists
-I will PS until the New Year
-I promise to adhere to the heat rules - can we blow dry every three wks?

Checking in....I took my first pass for heat tonight because I wanted to see my length and I am going to the Maxwell Concert tomorrow so I did not want to rock the bun for my man. Here are some pics of my hair blow dried and flat ironed and then one with a little bit of curl. I will be back in a bun probably by Saturday/Sunday! I also cannot wait to see my length at the end of the challenge and if nothing else my health hair. I might get my ends evened out the weekend because they are not raggedy but a slight trim will not hurt.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 8
I want to JOIN!!!!!

I will be using twist and braids as protective styles.
I will Protective Style for ALL MONTHS!!!
AND....plan to use 1 heat pass for Christmas. That is all!

**UPDATE**

I took my kinky twist extensions down early! :look: I just had to feel my real hair, sorry ladies. But, I just got finished doing two-strand twists on my hair and will be retwisting every week. :yep:

Back