"Protective Stylin" for the last 3 months CHALLENGE!

-My protective style of choice is a full head weave
-I will PS for 3 months
-I promise to adhere to the heat rules =)
-I will try to update at least once every two weeks.

Just checkin' in.
Today i did my first doughnut bun. Was a little worried because my hair is fine so I went to the BSS and bought a doughnut with hair wrapped around it. It works great. Lovin' it. DBF even complemented me on it and he only likes when I wear my hair straight. I was thinking about getting a weave or buying a wig but he refuses to go anywhere with me if I do (and he is serious).:nono: Both him and his brother have a thing about weaves and wigs.:ohwell: Oh well, trying to think of a different style. Any suggestions?

I was thinking about getting a weave or buying a wig but he refuses to go anywhere with me if I do (and he is serious).:nono: Both him and his brother have a thing about weaves and wigs.:ohwell: Oh well, trying to think of a different style. Any suggestions?

You should wear whatever makes you feel comfortable, not your DBF or his brother. Its your head, not theirs. Find a style that suits you. :yep:

I used one of my heat passes today on a blow dry and flatiron after I washed my hair, so I am down to 4. I get my hair done tomorrow afternoon (sew-in). I might post pics...

i finished my 14 wk stretch today:weird::yay:
i used one of my heat passes today because my stylist bumped my ends after trimming. I have an event to attend tomorrow so i wont be protective styling then but i will on Tuesday (my co-workers haven't seen my real hair since June because Ive been protective styling with weaves...so they are bugging me to keep my hair out at least on Monday before it goes into seclusion for the rest of the year)

Once my sister gets in from school i'll have her take a pic of my hair as my starting point to this challenge (even though i joined earlier this month)

ttyl ladies!!!!

Update 1:

This is the half wig that I will be wearing as a protective style.
View attachment 43926
Braid w/ side bun
View attachment 43924

I straightened my hair today to do a length check. This is the first time I've attempted straightening since beginning my HHJ. I stretched my hair overnight, then blow dried and flat ironed it today. I was sort of heavy handed with the heat protectant, as I'm deathly afraid of heat damage. I then did a silk wrap and went under the dryer for 15 min - doing so was counterproductive bc my hair started to revert (and is continuing to do so as I type). I should have taken pics before the silk wrap:ohwell:, here are the pics taken afterward:
View attachment 43922

View attachment 43920
I will be wearing my hair in a bun for at least a couple of days, then I will braid it up and go back underneath my beloved half wig. I don't know if I'll straighten again at the end of the challenge. I don't really have a desire to straighten my hair and am weary of the amount of direct heat required.

A month ago, I had a setback as a result of The Great Knot Debacle of 2009.
Here's pic from one of the affected areas taken today:
View attachment 43928

My hair is just like this in a certain spot. What are you doing to correct it?

Checking in.........
I've bunned for the last 2 weeks and haven't used any heat. I was looking through my stash and found some bunning and hairogami accessories that I bought from Claire's ages ago. I'll use thse to switch it up a bit.:yep:

Is it to late for me to join? Ive been in kinky twist sine the middle of September. Im going to rock them to either the end of the month or first week of November.

Checking in:

Bunned all week, but today I'm giving my nape and edges a break with a loose 1/2 up, 1/2 down style.

Checking in...

Last weekend I did my schedule length check. It was a pleasant surprise! I've been bunning ever since. Today was wash day and I'm airdrying in a pony tail then tomorrow I start bunning again!

hello. im still in.
i just took my twists out last night and did an overnight oil treat with evoo and co washed today with TR TT conditioner.
i will be deep conditioning, co washing and re twisting tomorrow. everyday i will spray my hair with a leave in(right now im using and loving ojon mist) and then seal with an oil like coconut, vatika frositng, evoo or jojoba. once a week i will use a cream, either shea butter or shea amla by afroveda.
i did that with this last set of twists and when i took them out last night they were so moist and i could have worn the softest twistout if i wanted to.

oh and let me say, my pass wont be for heat, it will be for me wearing a puff. i actually used that pass today. but i wont do that all the time because its getting cold and my puffs are always a result of w&gs and of course i wont be doing that this winter.

the twists i do tomorrow will be flat twists on one side going to the other and then individual twists on the other side. like a side mohawk lol. i cant wait. i will be using afrodetangler leave in, afroveda shea amla butter and ohm sweet hair pudding.

still wearing the same weave-i haven't even bothered to wash it yet....and I don't plan to very soon.:look:

Checking in: I'm in a twistout but I'm kind of at a loss at how to wear it out without too much manipulation so tomorrow or more than likely sunday I will try out my bentonite clay followed with a henna and dc and then either do plaits of twists.

I've been doing protective styles since sept 2. started with pixie braids, wore those for about a month, then i took each one down then two strand twisted it. i'll wear these for a a week or so more then i might try crochet braids.

Checkin in..I ended up cornrowing and wiggin it sooner than expected. At this point in my stretch bunning was getting difficult for me and I want to minimize manipulation of the two textures, so after washing and air-drying last week I moisturized, sealed, cornrowed, applied BT and bought a full cap (adjustable straps, no combs) human hair wig. It's a cute bob cut wig and I've become attached to the style on me (yay!) so I can see myself succeeding on my stretch with it. I also love that I can wash it and hot curl it, which I've done already.

I plan to wash, DC, and redo my cornrows every two weeks for the rest of the year. I'm moisturizing and sealing the ends and applying BT every other night. Once a week I'm placing saran wrap under the cap to "baggy" underneath the wig.

Attached you will see my starting pic. i plan to be at the 3.5 mark by new years....with pray, growth aids and ps-ing.

Attachments

• October Growth.jpg
    October Growth.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 13
Well, I took my hair out for a wedding. I got my step sister to put in cornrows. Didn't like how she did the back, so I took it out and did box braids with my hair.

quick update- i just got through doing some twist which i am going to leave in for the week. Ill take down and wash on a weekly basis. I just put the twists into an updo. I

Checking In!....I started the challenge with braids, but instead of human hair like i normally use i used kanekelon and braided all the way down. I have been diluting non sulfate shampoo with distilled water and washing the legnth of my braids with that, and diluting Suave coconut conditioner and cleaning my scalp with that...so far so good! I will be transitioning over to a wig next week when I take these braids down. I plan on doing a hard protein then a DC. I might order some henna and give it a try, and since its winter i plan to start baggying under my wig too.

I didnt officially join this challenge, but I would like to take part in it now. I will not be using direct heat, only the hooded hair dryer. I will be wearing weaves and my starting point is below.

checking in: I did alot to my hair...

I had my hair in pixie braids for two weeks then in a twist for a week with twistout for two days so it was massively tangled. Yesterday I used some castile soap followed with some bentonite clay on my hair to clarify. After that I hennaed it overnight and rinsed it out.

I tried a banana dc but I guess it didn't blend smoothly enough because I had chunks in my hair. SO, I had to dc with Fructis 3 min undo but that had little kernels in it too. Then I detangled with HE totally twisted. That somewhat helped and then I had to fine tooth detangle with some aloe butter/coconut oil. I twisted the sections then braided up the twists. Hopefully I have everything out. It was so tiring not a pamper type day at all.

I may leave the twists in or just convert them into box braids so that my second set of twists will be nicely stretched. My hair feels so moisturized albeit oily but the bits from the banana bothered me until no end. That and my curls kept tangling around them.

I plan to wash, DC, and redo my cornrows every two weeks for the rest of the year. I'm moisturizing and sealing the ends and applying BT every other night. Once a week I'm placing saran wrap under the cap to "baggy" underneath the wig.

SvelteVelvet, how many cornrows do you do? I tried to go wig shopping yesterday and my cornrows were too thick/big - the wig was sitting on top of my head. :lachen: The lady at the shop gave me a look :nono:

Checking in: My hair is in one braid in the back, tucked under in a bun. Covered with a wig. Haven't done anything special to my hair:look:

Back