My Boyfriend Thinks I Don’t Trust Him. I Think He’s Overreacting.

You are right to stand your ground on that issue. I have had several guys invite me to get together as though there is absolutely no pandemic going on. I said no. I've got my mom to think about so no, no way Jose.

Let your boyfriend cool off a bit. Tell him you trust him, but explain how terrible you would feel if you exposed her to the virus because of taking too many chances. It is not about him and he needs to repect your decisions about your family.

If he doesn' t....time out.

Your bf is completely out of pocket. All of his line brothers could be asymptomatic and he could literally bring something back home to you and your grandmother by breathing. That he's talking about trust when we are in a pandemic shows he ain't serious about life.

He can be mad and stay mad just as long as his part of rent keeps getting paid. YOU are not in the wrong here not one iota.

How old are you guys? It doesn’t sound like he’s taking this pandemic seriously. Good for you for having the right discernment to leave. I can imagine a lot of elderly people got the Corona Virus becuase their family members or caretackers were not taking it seriously. He can be mad, he’ll get over it. Don’t worry yourself about it. Let him be careless with his own life. He doesn’t need to get other people involved. You’re doing the best thing for yourself and for your grandmother.

He's being really selfish and manipulative right now. You were right to prioritize your family. If he never comes around, you wouldn't have missed much. It might be time to move on.

Coronavirus transmission has nothing to do with trust. It’s not an STD. There’s no way for him to know if he was exposed, so you’re right to take steps to protect your grandma. Honestly he sounds like he’s either guilty of something, or he’s not too bright.

All this.

Does he believe there is a virus? Does he believe that is it killing people? Does he believe that you can have it but not have any symptoms? Does he believe that someone that does have it and has no symptoms can give it to someone else and make that person very sick or cause that person to die? Because if he believes all of this, I don't understand why he is upset.

He's not only putting your grandmother at risk, he's putting you at risk too.

ETA I wouldn't even call him. There are many boyfriends to be had. If he cant understand something so basic I'd be reevaluating our relationship.

Dont let this stress you. You aren't being unreasonable. He has put seeing his lone brothers before you.

I'm so glad you left. He must not have had anyone close to him or anyone close to a family member or friend pass away from this. There are still way too many unknowns to take the slightest bit of risk.

Why couldn't he and his line brothers do a Zoom call like the rest of us?

He said he wouldn't have gone if he felt it was unsafe.

Unfortunately, the Corona virus does not respond to feelings.

I'm trying to understand why he got that upset with you and I don't get it. This isn't the time for ego trips.
What screening did he use to determine whether or not the gathering was safe to attend? It's your prerogative to stay or leave after his selfish decision.

If he cant understand something so basic I'd be reevaluating our relationship.

Dont let this stress you. You aren't being unreasonable. He has put seeing his line brothers before you.

We talked about it the night before they were supposed to meet up and when I questioned why they were still meeting up given the current state we’re in he jokingly said “Alpha over everything.”

It made me wonder...if a group of non-greek friends were having a gathering would he have gone. Highly doubt it.
But his LBs were worth the risk? Make it make sense.

I’m definitely using this time to think about things. This is a very serious situation we’re living in and he made an irresponsible decision.

Last edited:
I'm so glad you left. He must not have had anyone close to him or anyone close to a family member or friend pass away from this. There are still way too many unknowns to take the slightest bit of risk.

Why couldn't he and his line brothers do a Zoom call like the rest of us?

Another factor is that he doesn’t have any family here. He has no one that he’s afraid of spreading the virus to.

I’m still around my mom and grandma since we’re moving my grandma into my moms house. I have them to think about. He has no one to consider. Clearly not even me.

He said he wouldn't have gone if he felt it was unsafe.

Unfortunately, the Corona virus does not respond to feelings.

I'm trying to understand why he got that upset with you and I don't get it. T
Because she (rightfully so) put her grandmothers safety and her own common sense over his janky :moon: judgement. I did not say all that I want to say about this dude because grown folks gotta grown for themselves but umm yeah, I'm very glad that somebody in the OP's household chose her grandmothers well being at a time when people are dropping like flies.

Some damn line brothers. Maynnnnnnnn

Makes me wonder if he wasn't trying to take a coward's way out of potentially ending your relationship. I just can't get with him equating your concern for your health and that of loved ones with a lack of trust. COVID-19 doesn't give a poo about trust or not.

Me thinks something else is affront. Tread very carefully, OP.

You made the right decision. Even if your grandmother was not a factor he could still transmit it to you! I would have to do some serious thinking about how to move forward. I don't play Russian roulette with my life and I would expect my partner do take as much care as I do

My gut says he’s up to something. But if not, I think this speaks to you two fundamentally having different belief systems and approaches to serious situations. I honestly don’t think he was wrong or bad for meeting up with friends. But I personally wouldn’t do that, nor would I want a boyfriend or husband who was that careless. But it’s good that you now know how he rolls during a pandemic. My other thought is that he may be chauvinistic and think he gets to lead the both of you when it comes to making major decisions. Keep your eyes open, pay attention, and continue to stand your ground for what you think is right. But don’t explain and explain your feelings. You don’t have anything to justify. At least half of the population would have made the choice you made. You are a smart, kind, and loving young woman. Good job!

Also, I think he may be jealous of your love for your family and the relationship you have with them.

Back