Possessive Men...

Wow, he elude to buying me a new phone that way I wouldn't miss his phone calls and why don't I carry my phone in my pocket like him...I said I don't have pockets....he said oh ok, I'm going to "buy you pockets"
:perplexed
Girl, I learned the hard way. A man who wants to buy you a phone to use for just him is more often than not possessive and controlling. Once he has you locked down with that phone, it's like he's put a GPS tracker on you or something. It is a way for him to control and locate you any time he wishes. The idea of a phone just for us sounded romantic, and can be romantic with the right guy, but with my guy--I should have never taken that phone he gave me. He damn near destroyed my sanity with it.

Wow...ok I think I dodged a bullet:ohwell:

he wanted to see me days in a row.....like if we are out Sat....he is like, what are you doing tomorrow:look: my inside was like .....oh boy...

Well I'm glad that you got out early before it got to deep or too late. I had to exit my relationship with a getaway plan and a restraining order :nono:

I think the very first sign of a possessive guy is when he doesn't want you spending as much time with your friends, and sometimes even your family. He might also bad-mouth your friends and tell you they're not even good friends anyway.

I was with a possessive guy a few years ago for 9 months. He was a nut job, and he made my life hell when I was ending our relationship - so much so that I moved into my aunts house for almost a month so he wouldn't know where I was. The number 1 sign I look out for now is how well he gets along with my friends, and how he feels about me spending time with them.

No matter what happens between her and that guy, you need to be there to tell her what's what, and to catch her if she falls. It's so easy to get caught up in a bad relationship and ignore things that you know are wrong.

Another sign....

Isolating you from friends and family....making you believe that they don't love you as much as he does :nono:

Girl, I learned the hard way. A man who wants to buy you a phone to use for just him is more often than not possessive and controlling. Once he has you locked down with that phone, it's like he's put a GPS tracker on you or something. It is a way for him to control and locate you any time he wishes. The idea of a phone just for us sounded romantic, and can be romantic with the right guy, but with my guy--I should have never taken that phone he gave me. He damn near destroyed my sanity with it.

Yeah, at first I'm thinking "oh how sweet he is so generous" then now I'm like I would still miss calls if it happens like that......that is tricky

Well I'm glad that you got out early before it got to deep or too late. I had to exit my relationship with a getaway plan and a restraining order :nono:

Yeah, that is so scary....I'm glad you were and are safe and wiser now.

Yeah my ex had ALOT of these traits. The main one being, he would blame everything on me, I mean EVERYTHING. I am so glad it's over between me and him :yep::yep::yep:!

CCD, he sounds like he was gonna be a mess. I'm glad you're not involved in that situation anymore.

I KNoooooww...the thing is him seemed so cool and really into me which was nice to feel but at the same time something about it was making me feel like:perplexed not sure....one thing is for sure the instincts are on...women !!!don't ignore the weird feelings if they are there....

I am reading some of these posts and this relationship (i use that term loosely) that was just ended had some of those signs. My instincts told me not to pursue it, but I ignored it since I felt good that I was getting attn and someone wanted to be with me. The signs in this recent past relationship that I was in included:

He wanted me to dress a certain way-no pants/just long skirts
He wanted me to move in
He spoke about marriage at the first date (not a huge sign but something to be aware of)
He wanted to be my boyfriend stat-and have that title rather quickly (after a couple weeks)-at first I thought whooaa-slow down, but then I got mixed up and thought he was just that smitten with me :nono:
He wanted me to act on his sexual advances even when I told him I wasn't ready
He wanted me to stay over his place all the time
He would call or text a lot but would not like if I did the same
I stayed over his place overnight one time and after work the next day he was aggravated that I didn't launder his sheets or do his dishes
From the jump he stated a relationship with him would 60-40 with him having most of the power (mind you-we were not together long, there was no justification behind it, it was just because)
For all my little actions/nuances he would criticize and try to control them.
He would embarrass me in public (talk about my body-like I'm a piece of meat to his friends :nono:)
Overall he really wnated to move too fast too soon. Although typing this gives me some type of release, I wanted to add to some of the examples just in case someone is experiencing anything similar.

It hurt when I told him never to contact me again cause I wanted to be in a relationship and I liked having someone there who wanted me. However, the thought of me compromising myself and potentially my safety was too much to handle. Watch out ladies-and listen to your instincts. We deserve better!

Sigh- this thread is upsetting to me, because I have a good girlfriend whose boyfriend exhibits ALL of these signs. She just moved in with him last week.

I have thought for a while now, that it's only a matter of time before he gets physical with her. As far as I know, he had never touched her- but all of the signs leading up to it are there. :nono:

If I were to tell her what I thought, surely she would start avoiding me. I guess I'll hold back until/if she comes to me with something.

Sigh- this thread is upsetting to me, because I have a good girlfriend whose boyfriend exhibits ALL of these signs. She just moved in with him last week.

I have thought for a while now, that it's only a matter of time before he gets physical with her. As far as I know, he had never touched her- but all of the signs leading up to it are there. :nono:

If I were to tell her what I thought, surely she would start avoiding me. I guess I'll hold back until/if she comes to me with something.

I'm sorry to hear someone you know is going thru this....
what kinda things make you think he/she are in an unhealthy relationship?

How long have they been dating?

You ladies post a lot of good advice here. And I'm taking notes for my two daughters. I hope your friend gets out of this before it's too late. It can be very disasterous for her.

Don't forget to give us an update.

What are the signs?

I was just discussing this with a friend of mine. I fear that her current SO is going to become an abusive man. She thinks I’m overreacting. What are the signs of a possessive/jealous/abusive SO/spouse? Actually, she thinks it’s cute that he’s always so pressed to know everything she’s doing, who she’s talking to, etc. He calls her like a million times a day. She says no guy has ever taken such an interest in her! I’m like :eek::eek: that’s because all the other guys you’ve dated were NORMAL. I honestly think at this point in her life, she’s starving for attention. I worry about her!

This is my friend!!! She actually had the nerve to say that I was jealous cuz he did this with her!! :shocked::evil::wallbash: (Females can be sooo effin stupid & thas y I don't have many friends)

here's another site on the signs of too: http://www.enotalone.com/article/4112.html

have you met the guy and how does he treat you as her friend?

that sudden shower of attention can temporarily blind a person, but it is usually the first sign that something is "off".

I really hope this is not the case with your friend's SO.

After reading the list, these signs were on point about my friends SO. :perplexed

It's sad, but when your self-esteem is sooooooooo low, you can't help but feel this way!

some actions that i find questionable are.....

he says hes in love w/ u/wants 2 marry u/wants u 2 move in (which may not sound so bad but kinda scary if u've only known each other for only two weeks)

u r to have to male friends

he alone runs tings

he must be able to account for ur whereabouts 24/7

shows up @ ur doorstep ALL HOURS of the day/night

calls u 30+ times in an hour because he couldn't reach u

abused/killed dogs

wants u to tattoo his name on ur cooch

becomes upset because another man asked u for the time

........umm yeah theses r just off the top of my head

some actions that i find questionable are.....

he says hes in love w/ u/wants 2 marry u/wants u 2 move in (which may not sound so bad but kinda scary if u've only known each other for only two weeks)

u r to have to male friends

he alone runs tings

he must be able to account for ur whereabouts 24/7

shows up @ ur doorstep ALL HOURS of the day/night

calls u 30+ times in an hour because he couldn't reach u

abused/killed dogs

wants u to tattoo his name on ur cooch

becomes upset because another man asked u for the time

........umm yeah theses r just off the top of my head

sounds like my friend's BF.....it's so cute (to her) tho :rolleyes:

Back