Mega-Tek/OCT Challenge November 2008

Thanks for the moisturizing tip...also, i have noticed that my growth has seemed to "slow down". i was reluctant to purchase more OCT because i was thinking that it was not working for me (I've been using it since early September, a little over two months). i'm going to order some more tonight and hopefully my growth will pick up by May (I wanted to be SL by December 16, 2008 and i'm close, but not all the way there. I figured i should have a healthy full bouncy SL mane by May 9. ok back to OCT...)

However, megatek has been giving me major thickness!!! I'm transitioning and you can see where the relaxed ends are super thin and scraggly and the new growth is super thick!!! I can't wait for it to start growing down.

Also, I have some rought looking ends (I'll try to take pics tonight and post them) they bother me because when i do decide to straighten my hair, it looks raggedy, like dry and raggedy. I've been sealing with coconut and castor oil whenever I OCT or MT, but it seems to not be doing anything for me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

well i took a break from MT-ing to relax my hair and now im going to start back tonight =)
i got great growth i plan on stretching this relaxer as long as possible, but i dont think i can go past 8 weeks because thats when the breakage started and i had to relax.
so far so good, it really does the job:yep::yep:

Hey ladies,
Everyone who revealed had great progress to me but I only got to page 17.
I could go through these threads all day long :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I just got my bottles of MT yesterday and can't wait to see the progress.
I must admit that you guys are making me want to check out the OCT also.

Right now I am in braids so I mixed my MT with Aloe vera juice,glycerine,and some emu oil. I'm placing it primarily on my scalp and the ng that is sticking out all over the place. (Last relaxer May 22nd, box braids in for 8 weeks)
I'm still moisturizing and sealing with a mix of AVJ/Glycerin and rosemary oil then I'm sealing with EVCO.

If anyone thinks I should adjust this regi, please advise. TIA

By the way can anyone tell me where to get the creme rinse for the MT?

LondonDiva I definitely see the progress!!! You Grow Girl!! :up:

Hey ladies,
Everyone who revealed had great progress to me but I only got to page 17.
I could go through these threads all day long :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I just got my bottles of MT yesterday and can't wait to see the progress.
I must admit that you guys are making me want to check out the OCT also.

Right now I am in braids so I mixed my MT with Aloe vera juice,glycerine,and some emu oil. I'm placing it primarily on my scalp and the ng that is sticking out all over the place. (Last relaxer May 22nd, box braids in for 8 weeks)
I'm still moisturizing and sealing with a mix of AVJ/Glycerin and rosemary oil then I'm sealing with EVCO.

If anyone thinks I should adjust this regi, please advise. TIA

By the way can anyone tell me where to get the creme rinse for the MT?

Try your recipe for awhile and if you are not seeing the desired progress then tweak it a little. There is no one size fits all remedy when working with MT....you can get the cream rinse from the same website(s) that sells MegaTek. :yep:

Has anyone added a pinch of sulphur to their MT mix? If so, what are the results? Do you think its overkill??

Is anyone's scalp sensitive (almost sore to the touch?) and itchy? :look:

I don't have bumps or anything but goot lord it's itching and growing. :ohwell:

I'm shedding.... long hairs. Finally got a curb on the breakage.... but I haven't gotten it to stop completely. I had been taking garlic all along so I could imagine if I weren't. :look:

Along with the bumps this was also happening (itching, soreness) to me so I no longer put it on my scalp

what moisturizing conditioner are you using? I'm transitioning (need support to keep me from relaxing) and I cant seem to find a good moisturizing deep conditioner for these new growth that I have.
These all work great for me-
Silk elements luxury moisturising conditioner
Tresemme thermal recovery
Neutrogena triple moisture mask
Keracare humecto
Joico moisture recovery balm

I notice that any conditioner with quaternary ammonium really works for me. Silk elements and the tresemme has it (the polyquaternium 80). Not all quaterniums are good though stay away from polyquaternium 15 as it is carcinogenic.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,
It has been a minute since I checked in :wave: but I am beginning Week 6 Post-Relax using my MT/Oil Mix. First, I have to say that I have NOT been keeping up with it like I should…I am on average applying it only 2 times a week. My goals was/is to have 2 nights of application followed by my co-wash, twice a week. I will do better for these last 4 week…But I am definitely seeing my edges and matching bald spots “fill in” which I am tooo excited about. And my hair is stronger (no more hair popping off at the slightest pull..YAY!!! :yay:) and I think I have overall increased thickness but it is hard to tell with all the NG!!

Anyhoo, usually by this point in my relax cycle, my new growth is starting to be unmanageable, but since the MT/Oil, it has come in pretty soft and curly and comb-able…LOL Also, I think I will have length just by virtue of 1) my hair growing and 2) retention, which I credit the MT/Oil mix with but also, rolling, wrapping and bunn-ing my hair, using a 1 minute silk reconstructor, moisturizing and sealing my ends and my co-washes with LeKair Shea Butter (which I highly recommend for ladies to try, it leaves my hair really soft), using a leave in and a heat protectant for drying etc. So my overall regimen is getting 2 thumbs up from me!

Also, I know ya’ll were talking about this earlier, but I am definitely going to keep using the MT/Oil mixture indefinitely because I think it is also keeping my scalp moisturized and healthy and I like what it is doing for my hair…Also, I will be starting to add the OCT to this mix shortly (maybe after this next relaxer) because although the thickness is great and healthy, I would really like to see some more length.

With respect to stretching, I am aiming for between 10-11 weeks this time around. After my next relaxer in December, I will post my progress pics. My immediate goal is to make it to 12 weeks for the next relaxer go’round.

Thanks for listening ladies!!

Mandy4610, you have a lot of growth there, Well Done Mandy! and your hair has a lovely gloss and shine. Very pretty.

*ahem* i couldnt hold it any longer so i did it. So y'all remember last week, i attempted to cut layers into my hair without washing it or anything? thanks to youtube the results look good. So today, i relaxed and FHI'ed .....i believe this is what i layered cut is supposed to be. Hair is back to APL but i dont care..it will grow.
before:
CIMG1379-vi.jpg

CIMG1380-vi.jpg

what i cut:
CIMG1413-1.jpg

after:
CIMG1429.jpg

CIMG1430.jpg

CIMG1427.jpg

:wow:That's so amazing! You got skillz, girl! Your hair looks so lustrous and healthy after cut!

kudos to everyong who is getting results. but am i the only one not seeing anything? no extra thickness; no growth. NOTHING:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

These all work great for me-
Silk elements luxury moisturising conditioner
Tresemme thermal recovery
Neutrogena triple moisture mask
Keracare humecto
Joico moisture recovery balm

I notice that any conditioner with quaternary ammonium really works for me. Silk elements and the tresemme has it (the polyquaternium 80). Not all quaterniums are good though stay away from polyquaternium 15 as it is carcinogenic.

Thanks girl! I've been hearing great things about the keracare humecto. right now I have some ORS replenish in the big bottle and some aveda dry remedy, I may try mixing my ORS with some honeyquat that I have left (I'm turning into a serious mixologist LOL).

this stuff works!!!

Wow diva!!! Looking really good, your progress is fabulous!! I have 4 more weeks to wait, I can only hope I got half as much thickness and growth. CONGRATS!!!

Oh and are you mixing OCT in with your MT?

<---------Running to put some MT in her hair right now!!!

I just started using mega tek on Nov. 16. Here is my beginning pic. My update will be a month from now.:grin:

Attachments

• hair album 009.jpg
    hair album 009.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12
this is what i do...i take a hair skin nails vitamin daily it has biotin in it and i take an odorless garlic supplement cuz i heard this mega-tek stuff caused shedding so i wanted to already be on it...i got them from like cvs or walgreens

i alternate ovation and mega tek weekly

on ovation week on day one i wash my hair shampoo apply ovation cell therapy let it sit for like 2hrs i think thats what the bottle says for intense treatment do at least 1-2hrs...i put that stuff all over my hair and massage it in..then i rinse with the ovation cream rinse..im gonna get some V05 conditioner when i run out of the ovation cream rinse ...cuz i hear thats not really the stuff thats making it grow...then i put a some leave in conditioner (elasta qp h-two) 4.00 and i moisturize it with HAWAIIAN SILKY 14-1 miracle $5.00 it comes in a bottle with a pump look it up on the forums someone has a photo of it...or ask TIFFERS its creamy..i spray that especially on my ends and then i protective style...no blow dry no heat no anything...i try to do my hair at nite so when i go out in the morning its not as wet...I USE OVATION EVERY DAY...the next 6 days i just put it on my hair and let it sit minimum 30mins...i wanted it to work...and then i cream rinse and protective style...

now on mega tek week which would day 1 of the following week...id deep condition my hair..i did not shampoo just deep condition...with pantene prov relaxed and natural defense breakage deep condtioning mask ($5.00) then id rinse and apply mega tek like i would if i was greasing my scalp...i didnt put on all the way down the strands of my hair just part and apply...i was heavy handed at first cuz i was like grow but its kinda thick so no need...but i parted and put it everywhere i left it in a min of 30 mins sometimes i left it on all day...it left a white residue so dont be heavy handed...then id rinse it out and use a conditioner to co-wash..i use mane n tale moisturizing conditioner only cuz i need to rid of it..the next type i will buy will be motions or pantene pro v thats just what my hair likes... if i didnt rinse it out that day the next day after i applied more id rinse it out id still wait at least an hr...i did see shedding...but i believe its due to the fact my hair was growing faster so the cycle of some hairs were done...it made me nervous but i had faith..and proof was in the budding...

i couldnt keep my hands out of my hair!!!! ...but i wouldnt use heat at all...i wanted to but u i told myself no no no no no..im gonna try and go 5 weeks before i blow dry and flat iron it again to view progress..

oh also make sure u do detangle with wide tooth comb i lost hairs by not detangling with wide tooth comb..but i try to keep it low to no manipulation.

this stuff does work i promise i cant believe it...im gonna try to see how to use mega-tek with my roller set style...ill prbly only apply it every other day and rinse on the last day...

Question: I know we're not supposed to use other products that contain protein while using MegaTek. Do you think it would be ok to use Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks (Strawberries & Cream) moisturizing conditioner (it has soy milk protein)?

If not, what are you ladies using to co wash?

Last edited:
this stuff works!!!

WOW! Lady, your hair looks amazing and your edges have filled in so beautifully. I am so happy for you. I will admit. I am kinda jealous. Your edges grew in so nice and even. Mine are growing in nicely, but it is spotty. No matter what I do I cannot seem to control this.

No matter, I just wanted to say how absolutely excited I am on your progress. I see from your later post that you are working hard and that hard work sure is paying off. Congratulations.

Back