Married in the eyes of GOD

I guess I just don't understand the point of a committment ceremony for straight couples. They can cost just as much if not more than a legal wedding. So what really is the benefit of one of these? I'm really trying to understand this...

There's all types of reasons really. Some don't feel its fair that people though straight people can marry and, other people can't. Some of don't like the thought of the state being in their business. And then there's the folks who tried you traditional state bound marriage and it didn't work out for them.

Theres lots of straight people who have them for a variety of reasons.

Some can be extremly extravagant church ceremonies, some can be a simple backyard gathering for friends and loved ones.

So even though they can cost just as much as a traditional state bound marriage can but if the two who are making the comment to each other and God feel this is what they want and how they want to do it, there's nothing wrong with that fact.

Is it different? Sure it is! However, I don't see the two involved as being any less committed because they don't have a piece of paper on file with a state somewhere.

-A

Yeah...but is a commitment ceremony seen as marriage in the eyes of God? Isn't is something that is secular?

I would say no it isn't. Well, I take that back, there are those that are athiests and well...you know:look:

at any rate, there are lots of commitment ceremonies performed in churches for those who choose to go that route.

I don't know about down south but up here its not that big of a deal.

I had a friend who had her destination wedding first, came back to the US then had a civil wedding at their local court house.

Now of course they could have done it the other way around but again it was totally their choice to go this route.

I think as long as the couple talks about what they want and how they want it, who's to say its the wrong thing to do you know? God requires people to love each other and to love him first and foremost. Even if you do it under a tree in the backyard, who's to say that God wouldn't be pleased by it, right?

-A

Okay, I guess I thought because the title said "in the eyes of God" that we would be concerned with what God thinks. A commitment marriage in my mind is something else as we have established (and not legal)
but this is the research that I found (from a biblical perspective). Feel free to IGNORE if you aren't concerned with the eyes of God. I've learned a lot to bare with me. ;)

While marriages throughout most of biblical history involve some type of public ceremony (and celebration), such a ceremony is not required for a biblical marriage to have taken place. In the case of Isaac and Rebekah and others, no ceremony is recorded (Genesis 24:67). But a common ingredient between common-law marriage and the one involving a ceremony is a public expressed intent to be married. Two people living together without that expressed intent does not constitute a common-law marriage, just cohabitation. Isaac and Rebekah did not just begin living together, there was a clear expression of intent that their union be of a permanent nature (marriage). Another common ingredient between common-law marriage and the one involving a ceremony and license is its legal standing. In order for a common-law marriage to be dissolved, a legal divorce must be pursued. (Again, in God’s original intent for marriage, there should be no divorce.) Another ingredient in these biblical marriages that did not involve a public ceremony as compared to those that did is that there was no sexual activity prior to their marriage, no cohabiting.

From a biblical perspective, there are a few issues that bothers me about a common-law marriage. Two of the biblical purposes of marriage are to (1) use the union to serve Christ as a new unit and (2) to represent the greater reality of the union between Christ and His church. Historically, common-law marriage came into being because there were small villages in England where a church official or a government official was not able to travel to on a regular basis. Therefore, if a couple desired to get married, they could legally do so without the presence of either a church official or government official. But still there would be the component of a public declaration of their intent to marry before cohabiting. During World War II, there were common-law marriages that took place in Japanese prison camps between prisoners by a similar public declaration of intent. But for a Christian, under normal circumstances, a public ceremony in a church enables them to begin their union before family and friends with a testimony of their intent to use their marriage to serve Christ and with a public witness of salvation from sin that is available through Christ.

Secondly, as the Bible states that a Christian is to “provide things honest in the sight of all men” (2 Corinthians 8:21; Romans 12:17), it is important that their marriage do the same. Common-law marriage has a connotation in most people’s eyes as being less-than-honorable (under normal circumstances...not being in a prison camp, etc.). It should be a Christian’s desire to live above reproach so that Christ can be honored in all that he/she does (1 Corinthians 10:31). For this reason, common-law marriage (under normal circumstances) falls short of honoring Christ; and a public, church ceremony with a good testimony for Christ and a good presentation of the gospel is to be preferred.

This is what I meant when I said it is illegal for an officiant to marry a couple without a license:

North Carolina law:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]51-7[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Statutes and Session Law[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Chapter 51. Marriage.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Article 2. Marriage Licenses.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]51-7 Penalty for solemnizing without license.[/FONT]
§ 51-7 Penalty for solemnizing without license.

Every minister, officer, or any other person authorized to solemnize a marriage under the laws of this State, who marries any couple without a license being first delivered to that person, as required by law, or after the expiration of such license, or who fails to return such license to the register of deeds within 10 days after any marriage celebrated by virtue thereof, with the certificate appended thereto duly filled up and signed, shall forfeit and pay two hundred dollars ($200.00) to any person who sues therefore, and shall also be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (R.C., c. 68, ss. 6, 13; 1871-2, c. 193, s. 8; Code, s. 1817; Rev., ss. 2087, 3372; C.S., s. 2499; 1953, c. 638, s. 1; 1967, c. 957, s. 5; 1993, c. 539, s. 415; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2001-62, s. 7.)
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Lawriter Corporation. All rights reserved. The Casemaker Online database is a compilation exclusively owned by Lawriter Corporation. The database is provided for use under the terms, notices and conditions as expressly stated under the online end user license agreement to which all users assent in order to access the database. [/FONT]

Also there are logistical reaons why the state requires marriage licenses:

One it confirms identity, age, makes a record of the marriage in case you are a bigamist :lachen:, makes sure you are of sound mind and body (at the time you sign your marriage license) to decide to be married, etc.

So it's not like there aren't reasons behind the legal requirements of getting a marriage license.

However, OP, if all you want is a commitment marriage, as I explained above and your country allows that without a license, then that's not a problem. We have different laws in the US here so you'll have to ignore me on some of my points. :perplexed

Commitment

Isn't that what Brandy did?

Sounds like a very private affair where 2 people commit to each other because in the eyes of most if the state hasn't sanctioned the marriage, it's not a marriage.

ETA: I've always thought of this concept of being a man's way to get a woman to stay with him, when he's not ready to make the commitment of marriage and it's a concept that's promulgated by hip hop culture with constant references to the main girlfriend as wifey or with lyrics like, "you don't need a ring to be my wife" (Mary J. & Method Man - You're All I Need To Get By).

Last edited:
Here's California's:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]FAM. § 350[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Statutes and Session Law[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]FAMILY CODE[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]DIVISION 3. MARRIAGE[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]FAM. § 350 [/FONT]
FAM. § 350

PART 2. MARRIAGE LICENSE
(a) Before entering a marriage, or declaring a marriage pursuant to Section 425, the parties shall first obtain a marriage license from a county clerk.
(b) If a marriage is to be entered into pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 420, the attorney-in-fact shall appear before the county clerk on behalf of the party who is overseas, as prescribed in subdivision (a).
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Lawriter Corporation. All rights reserved. The Casemaker Online database is a compilation exclusively owned by Lawriter Corporation. The database is provided for use under the terms, notices and conditions as expressly stated under the online end user license agreement to which all users assent in order to access the database.

and

There's more but of course, I don't want to bore you. :lachen:
[/FONT]

adequate, you're talking about a legal marriage, AKA a state sanctioned marriage.

there are those who prefer to not only not have them, but don't even want them.

I've made the distinction between legal and non legal commitment ceremonies.

I've made it very clear that though not illegal, commitment ceremonies is not considered a legal marriage.

For you to go on and on about a legal marriage is pretty moot.

-A

Last edited:
adequate, you're talking about a legal marriage, AKA a state sanctioned marriage.

-A

I'm trying to show that in the statute of at least ONE state. Having a marriage ceremony at all without a license is considered to be a misdemeanor. I'm not saying the D.A. would brother to prosecute as it routinely does not prosecure "unimportant" cases but it is still down as a misdemeanor.

I'm trying to show that in the statute of at least ONE state. Having a marriage ceremony at all without a license is considered to be a misdemeanor. I'm not saying the D.A. would brother to prosecute as it routinely does not prosecure "unimportant" cases but it is still down as a misdemeanor.

Im pretty sure that if such a thing went to court it would also be tossed out. You can't stop anyone from celebrating their relationship, no more than you can stop someone from celebrating a birthday.

I think if you try to make a non legal ceremony BECOME legal I.E., you "divorce" and want half, that the to court and say y'all was married when civally you werent, then yeah I can see that not exactly working.

-A

Im pretty sure that if such a thing went to court it would also be tossed out. You can't stop anyone from celebrating their relationship, no more than you can stop someone from celebrating a birthday.

I think if you try to make a non legal ceremony BECOME legal I.E., you "divorce" and want half, that the to court and say y'all was married when civally you werent, then yeah I can see that not exactly working.

-A

True but an action which would likely not get prosecuted doesn't make it legal. So while I agree with you, that is argumentative. I'm just stating what the statutes ARE - not what a prosecutor/DA/ADA/solicitor, etc. would actually try to enforce.

Anyway....OP lives in the UK :grin:
:grin::grin: Well then I guess it goes by whatever works in the UK. My understanding is in most european countries you have to have a civil ceremony in order to make any marriage legal, though not a big deal to have a non civil one, its just not a legal union.

but hey what do I know:look:

-A

-A

Isn't NY allowing a lesbian couple to go forward with a divorce right now even though they cannot be legally married in that state?

There's all types of reasons really. Some don't feel its fair that people though straight people can marry and, other people can't. Some of don't like the thought of the state being in their business. And then there's the folks who tried you traditional state bound marriage and it didn't work out for them.

Some can be extremly extravagant church ceremonies, some can be a simple backyard gathering for friends and loved ones.

So even though they can cost just as much as a traditional state bound marriage can but if the two who are making the comment to each other and God feel this is what they want and how they want to do it, there's nothing wrong with that fact.

Is it different? Sure it is! However, I don't see the two involved as being any less committed because they don't have a piece of paper on file with a state somewhere.

-A

thank you... my sentiments exactly, this was what I was trying to get at when I started this thread

Anyway....OP lives in the UK :grin:

as do i. and i've never heard being "married in the eyes of god" meant you were considered "officially"/legally married.

i think many over here believe if you do not have that marriage certificate, you aren't married. this is how it should be, imo. if we assume being "married in the eyes of god" is as legally binding as actually having the paperwork to prove it, this creates a whole host of problems when it comes to separating and splitting up of assets.

in this day and age, it's very hard to separate the law from marriage. i think a couple can say they are "married in the eyes of god" and have every right to do so if they choose on never have the law play a part in their married lives. god forbid they get divorced or someone dies and the partner cannot be given the assets of the other because the law believes them to be boyfriend and girlfriend.

Last edited:
Are you talking about some kind of commitment ceremony just between the 2 people getting married? Honestly, I don't see the point. Take the $25 dollars and go get it done at the court house.

What burns me is that so many men use that crap talkin bout 'girl we married in the eyes of God, we don't need any paper to show our love' but when he gets killed, or sick where he can't speak for himself, you are S.O.L. because you are not LEGALLY his wife.

I have learned from my own marriage that the real deal is NOT "you aint got a thang if you aint got that rang" BUT "sign that paper today, protect yourself for tomorrow".

Are you talking about some kind of commitment ceremony just between the 2 people getting married? Honestly, I don't see the point. Take the $25 dollars and go get it done at the court house.

What burns me is that so many men use that crap talkin bout 'girl we married in the eyes of God, we don't need any paper to show our love' but when he gets killed, or sick where he can't speak for himself, you are S.O.L. because you are not LEGALLY his wife.

I have learned from my own marriage that the real deal is NOT "you aint got a thang if you aint got that rang" BUT "sign that paper today, protect yourself for tomorrow".

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title, that some dude would totally use that to lie to a woman.

I would say that marrying someone without the legal aspect of it is sad, because in as much as you want to say you are committed to each other, you deny your SO the respect and entitlements that come with the title "husband" and "wife." You know most people won't buy the married in God's eyes spiel. Also, you open up your spouse to be left high and dry when you die. I don't think God would appreciate that.

as do i. and i've never heard being "married in the eyes of god" meant you were considered "officially"/legally married.

i think many over here believe if you do not have that marriage certificate, you aren't married. this is how it should be, imo. if we assume being "married in the eyes of god" is as legally binding as actually having the paperwork to prove it, this creates a whole host of problems when it comes to separating and splitting up of assets.

in this day and age, it's very hard to separate the law from marriage. i think a couple can say they are "married in the eyes of god" and have every right to do so if they choose on never have the law play a part in their married lives. god forbid they get divorced or someone dies and the partner cannot be given the assets of the other because the law believes them to be boyfriend and girlfriend.

If you look back to my OP I asked whether some people would have such a cremony to avoid the legal implication... I can certify that such a ceremony would be void in law - I was not trying to see whether it would be legally recognised I think I lot of people misinterpreted that point, so saying things like you might as well just go to the court house etc does not relate to the point I was originally asking. I was trying to find out whether anyone had committed a wedding ceremony in the eyes of God i.e. without the legal bits. I know many people have stated there is no point... that's what men say when they don't want to commit/ or to mess around etc - but that was beside the point.

Although if you choose to marry a dog (even in the formal sense) it does not guarantee that he will commit or not mess about, and although many do not see the point of not commiting the eyes of the law - well many people co-habitate long term without wanting to get the married; the only difference is that you are making a commitment promise to one another.

Also, I don't see why a ceremony without the legal validity would cause some people to feel as though it wouldn't be recognised by God. God sees your heart, I don't think he is looking for the legally/ man given proof to determine whether you are truly married or not. The law on marriage could change tomorrow which could render marriage ceremonies completely contrary to Christian/ religious principles - would God still consider this man made validity of marriage then in the eyes of God? When I look at a wedding ceremony (in the formal sense) I consider the couples to be married in the eyes of God when they make their make their heartfelt promises to one another in front of God - not when they sign the certificate of marriage or whatever.

If you look back to my OP I asked whether some people would have such a cremony to avoid the legal implication... I can certify that such a ceremony would be void in law - I was not trying to see whether it would be legally recognised I think I lot of people misinterpreted that point, so saying things like you might as well just go to the court house etc does not relate to the point I was originally asking. I was trying to find out whether anyone had committed a wedding ceremony in the eyes of God i.e. without the legal bits. I know many people have stated there is no point... that's what men say when they don't want to commit/ or to mess around etc - but that was beside the point.

I read the OP several times and I still dont get it. You keep saying, "that's besides the point." Would you please enlighten the rest of us and tell us what "the point" is?

Although if you choose to marry a dog (even in the formal sense) it does not guarantee that he will commit or not mess about.

The difference is the dog who got legally married now owes his legal wife the rest of his life should she choose to take it. What does the other man owe his woman? Nothing. He can just get up and go taking with him the family's entire livelyhood.

I know nobody likes to think about death but you really need to consider what will happen should one of you die without being legally married. Who gets his life insurance? Who gets his share of the house you own? His estate and if you aren't legally married you better pray all of his next of kin likes you. Otherwise that will be one heck of a legal battle. I'm not sure God wants to see a man's "wife" thrown out on the street with no rights to her "husband's" estate.

It sounds like a cop out. IMO, it holds no weight, it sounds like someone is trying to use God to make an invalid "union" valid. If the couple is under the leagal age of consent, then, it's a nice promise of commitment, but if these are adults involved, IMO, it's a cop out.

A real and bonafide commitment involves God, witnesses and the law of the land.

What is the point of a commitment ceremony?
There's all types of reasons really. Some don't feel its fair that people though straight people can marry and, other people can't. (1) Some of don't like the thought of the state being in their business.(2) And then there's the folks who tried you traditional state bound marriage and it didn't work out for them.(3)

Some can be extremly extravagant church ceremonies, some can be a simple backyard gathering for friends and loved ones.(4)

So even though they can cost just as much as a traditional state bound marriage can but if the two who are making the comment to each other and God feel this is what they want and how they want to do it, there's nothing wrong with that fact.(5)

Is it different? Sure it is! However, I don't see the two involved as being any less committed because they don't have a piece of paper on file with a state somewhere.(6)

-A

I just wanted to add another perspective on the points made in the above post.

(1) Personally, I have always found this answer against marriage licenses as bogus. The government does not have the power to dictate who can be together and who cannot. Free citizens can do as they please under the law. The government can only DEFINE what "marriage" is. Those unions not meeting its definition are still able to unite under another term.

(2) This answer strikes me as coming from the chronically paranoid, maybe the illogical, (or mentally ill) :look:, as it is HIGHLY improbable to keep the government out of one's business or stay off of the grid AND lead an ordinary life. If someone owns a house, has a bank account, or rents a room, Uncle Sam knows about it.

(3) I've gotta say it: BOGUS! :nono: If a "traditional" marriage didn't work out, it's unlikely that the cause of that was having it publicly and/or legally recognized. I have only personally heard this excuse used by those who wanted the benefits of a relationship without having to GIVE ANYTHING UP. They use the "non-traditional" route now as a way of avoiding responsibility and, thereby, liability.

(4) And if one is willing to go to all this trouble, why is legal recognition unacceptable?

(5) Actually...there is something wrong with it. Adequate has done a "more than adequate" (no pun intended :look:) job of explaining it already, so I won't rehash. The point is this: if money is not an issue, and shame is not an issue, and backing out/reneging is not an issue, and you will be surrounded by those who will keep you loyal to your commitment by their witness, and "it's no big deal because it's just a piece of paper" then why is it so important NOT to be legally recognized?

(6) See, I wanna agree with you, but people are fickle. We make decisions and sometimes change our minds when we realize that everything isn't as we want. Instead of making difficult decisions or sacrifices, we can sometimes become overwhelmed. Some of us then run away from our problems instead of facing them. This is why government was created! To keep us loyal to our agreements and obligations in those weaker moments.

If one party of the couple in your scenario realizes that their dearly beloved bites their toenails instead of clipping them, they might opt to play dead and skip town instead of going through the "work" of a divorce. If they were actually married, there will be a PUBLIC RECORD of that union. If not, then he/she can just move to North Dakota and hook up with a rancher and start all over. That "piece of paper" is sometimes all that keeps people loyal.

P.S.

OP, I see where you were going with this thread, but in checking the link you posted, I noticed it was for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. If I am not mistaken, birth certificates in Mexico are not handed out manditorily as they are in other countries. There is a charge for them, and not all Mexican born citizens have them because they can not all afford them. When I scrolled down on your link, they noted that a birth certificate was required for the civil ceremony, where it was not for the alternative "spiritual" one. This might be why they offered two types.

So, all things considered, if you qualify for a license and want to be united...get married, throw a party, and call it a day.

If it boils down to cost and you can't afford it, you probably shouldn't even be dating. People should be mature in all ways; physically, mentally, spiriturally, financially, and otherwise before engaging in something that could render them responsible for another human life. Just my two cents.

God sees your heart, I don't think he is looking for the legally/ man given proof to determine whether you are truly married or not. The law on marriage could change tomorrow which could render marriage ceremonies completely contrary to Christian/ religious principles - would God still consider this man made validity of marriage then in the eyes of God? When I look at a wedding ceremony (in the formal sense) I consider the couples to be married in the eyes of God when they make their make their heartfelt promises to one another in front of God - not when they sign the certificate of marriage or whatever.

Hi. :)

I thought about this comment... and the thing I'll say in rebuttal is that throughout history (including Biblical history, since we're talking about "God"), people have always had some form of "formal" recognition of marriage. Whatever each specific community considered as formal, that's what was done.

We use marriage certificates, but people back then might have considered a "real" marriage as one in which various village elders witnessed it, or money/property changed hands, or whatever...

My point is, folks never really did this, "Well, we consider ourselves married in the eyes of God because he knows our heart," thing. People have ALWAYS had some sort of formal recognition of their unions, and if we want to talk about God, when marriages are mentioned in the Bible, there was always a mechanism for them to be recognized, and that was considered marriage in the eyes of God.

Personally, I have no problem with adults doing what they want to do. If both are cool with a non-married relationship, I'm cool with it too. But I think that if that type of couple says that they're married in the eyes of God, they're doing nothing more than putting their own spin on something that's technically inaccurate... because throughout history, being "married in the eyes of God" INCLUDED formal recognition of that relationship.

I say if you (general you... not anyone in particular) don't want to get married, then don't get married and leave the "God" part out of it.

I read the OP several times and I still dont get it. You keep saying, "that's besides the point." Would you please enlighten the rest of us and tell us what "the point" is?

The difference is the dog who got legally married now owes his legal wife the rest of his life should she choose to take it. What does the other man owe his woman? Nothing. He can just get up and go taking with him the family's entire livelyhood.

I know nobody likes to think about death but you really need to consider what will happen should one of you die without being legally married. Who gets his life insurance? Who gets his share of the house you own? His estate and if you aren't legally married you better pray all of his next of kin likes you. Otherwise that will be one heck of a legal battle. I'm not sure God wants to see a man's "wife" thrown out on the street with no rights to her "husband's" estate.

exactly. i'm sure god "sees your heart" without all the legal paperwork. but in this day and age and on earth, where we live with the rest of humankind, the law exists. it is hard to separate the law/state from marriage. by all means, one can get "married" in the eyes of god; profess your love and commitment to each other etc. however, as much as both people can be true in what they are saying at the time, they do not know god's plan. god's plan could be for them to be madly in love for 15 years and then to fall out of love and move on with their lives.

if they did only professed their love to each other at the time so that they could be man & wife in the eyes of god but never made it legal, then there really is no telling how property etc will be divided up in a lot of cases. a lot of relationships end up bitterly even if the couple are religious; we are all humans and make mistakes and i wouldn't put it past another mere mortal to be in love with another for how ever long but then will try and short-change them should things go awry.

to me, i think the idea of keeping the law out of your marriage and to be married only in the "eyes of god" is very idealistic...to a fault. one may well hold how their marriage being viewed in the eyes of god as more important than how it's viewed by the state. however, to make things legal, it really isn't that difficult to sign some paperwork. no ceremony is needed to sign anything and it doesn't take long. this is a non-traditional route of keeping the "commitment" ceremony and the legal part seperate. or the couple could go the traditional route and have it all done at the same time. regardless, declaring wanting to be together in order to please god should be the most important factor and it's not worth making signing paper a big deal when this should play a more minor role in the grand scheme of things. however, it will be a worthwhile thing to do, should things unfortunately go sour. it seems like a type of silly rebellion that will only come back to bite you in the arse to not sign the paperwork.

Last edited:
ok it clear that everyone has expressed they don't like the idea <--- this is beside the point. The point is has anyone ever had one of this commitment ceremonies (for whatever reason, maybe including some of the reasons you have all mention ... whatever).

You perhaps do not consider it ideal, no offence but that I don't care about that. I wasn't trying to get your opinions but merely wanted to know whether anyone had done it or not!!!

n.b I agree that if you divorce or one spouse dies you won't get anything unless you have drawn up wills or something even I know that lol - but that wasn't what I was getting at; If I was I would have said something like "If someone performs a mere commitment ceremony will they get the house/ money if the other spouse dies?"

And again, I am not trying to do this, I was merely curious (as I have already stated already).

Someone mentioned in biblical times there would be an exchange of property or something.. I would accept this as being a promise before God... so has anyone expressed their commitment to one another in this form or similar form (I.E. NOT THE LEGAL/ TRADITIONAL ROUTE)???

I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't understand whats so hard to understand!?

The point is has anyone ever had one of this commitment ceremonies (for whatever reason, maybe including some of the reasons you have all mention ... whatever).

<snip>

I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't understand whats so hard to understand!?

You know I was going to ask you the same question! You keep refusing to answer the question I have been asking. We have already given you millions of reasons NOT to do it but you have yet to give us one reason to do this. Thats what I'm looking for. I mean since this is YOUR question one would hope you'd know WHY you were asking it... :ohwell:

Are you serious?

You know I was going to ask you the same question! You keep refusing to answer the question I have been asking. We have already given you millions of reasons NOT to do it

Do WHAT!? As I said before I am not trying to get married or do anything!!!

but you have yet to give us one reason to do this. Thats what I'm looking for. I mean since this is YOUR question one would hope you'd know WHY you were asking it... :ohwell:

As said before, the reason why I am asking this is because I AM MERELY CURIOUS as to whether anyone else has done this before... that is all. I was after the million reasons why not to do this; I wanted to know whether anyone has done this before and not so I am decide whether I would do this. If I wanted to do something like this I would go ahead and do it, I do not need approval or justification from anyone else.

I'm not even interested in the answers anymore, I'm done with this thread

Are you serious?

I'm not even interested in the answers anymore, I'm done with this thread
I think if you had asked... "Has anyone had done a commitment ceremony before? How did you do it?"

...and not mentioned the legal/civil parts this thread would have went in an entirely different direction. But since you put that part in there, it became a debate between legal marriages and those that are in "God's eyes" only.

Back