Lessons you have learned in relationships

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
Don't forgive a man for being disrespectful to your friends. If you find yourself saying more than once " oh he's usually not like that. He's really sweet on the inside" just be ready for when his disrespect turns on to you.

A man who truly cares about you will put his best face forward when dealing with people you care about.

Don't assume anything and don't expect your mate to read your mind. If you have an issue, bring it to the table, discuss and find a mutual resolution.

Also DO NOT involves outside parties in your relationship.

Never rush things for convenience. Financial, or emotional.

Move in for convenience. Move city for convenience (or in my case let men move city for convenience:look:). Change plans for convenience.

Make sure you are absolutely sure.

Watch what you say on social networking sites and to other people-not everyone will be happy for you and look for ways to undermine your relationship

Not everything you feel needs to be voiced

Don't play the whole damsel in distress, you've saved me it comes back to haunt you

Dont keep running back to him

You must love yourself completely before you can love anyone else completely.
Never tell everything about your past,some things are best to be taken to your grave.
Know how to please and be open to being pleased.
GIRL SECOND POINT IS THE ONE
Damn the things that were used against me!

Follow your instincts!! If you having doubts or feel things not right with the relationship, trust yourself and react on it. Don't drag on more days of reluctance and uncertainty.

read between the lines, men don't talk much so when they do listen and if they say something that sounds strange coming from them, they might be listening to someone else.

I learned until you love and nuture and accept YOU, you will never be happy! I spent so much of my life serving others, thinking love was about giving and making others happy. I was in relationships, being angry, resentful and envious of my partners. One day I realized that I was angry at myself because I was so busy loving others, I never took the time to love me. I had never accessed what it was about me that I loved. What MY wants and needs was and what I wanted for MY life.

I spent years making sure I was pleasing to friendships, family and relationships that I looked up and realized I didn't even know what LOVE was or being In-Love felt like. I was so busy being everything to others, that those moments and feelings were oblivious to me. Now...I spend life nurturing me and giving me what I need inside. I no longer worry about being the best friend, daughter, sister, or wife. The relationship I concentrate on is the one with ME. Sadly enough it took me 30+ years to get here but its a weight lifted and it feels pretty darn good!

So the greatest lesson I learned is to heal the relationship with myself so I can be in a great relationship with others!

Last edited:
meet the family as soon as possible. All kinds of things about him will come out, what ever they are accusing other family members of such as being a liar, cheater, acoholic etc is usually present or possible in your man.

if he is from a small town you would be surprise to hear the town gossip about him and or his family, however you will still have to find out for yourself.

Things I've Learned in Relationships

The biggest thing I've learned is that nothing is guaranteed to last forever. This can be a scary and pessimistic idea, but when you think about it, there are many more reasons why a relationship could go bad than good. Your chances of staying together are definitely heightened after marriage, but many marriages these days go under too. I think the best thing you can take from this is that you need to put your emotional energies more towards the good memories & lessons you share with your partner and less towards the negative ones. If it isn't going to last, then at least make the best of your situation and create a relationship you can leave feeling proud of yourself. I think the mindset also prevents a lot of regrets from happening, like falling into pressures to do things you dont want to do in a relationship. If it's not going to last, you're less likely to sacrifice your dignity over it. This idea can also save you (but not make you immune from) a lot of heartache.

You cannot change or control other people, only yourself! This goes for any type of relationship (friends, family, etc.) You can cry, beg, plead, you can approach with determination, rage, optimism...but changing someone is impossible if the individual does not do it for themselves. Even if they do make the effort to change for you, the change will be short lived because they are not doing it for themselves.

Its important that if you choose to be with someone, you need to accept them for all of their entirety, even their annoying tendencies or quirks. As long as their quirks do not conflict with your values and personal safety, you should accept them--and yourself--as complex, flawed, but essentially unique human beings.

In a relationship, you need to learn to DO YOU. A lot of relationships die early because the two love birds spend way too much time together. There's only so much you can talk and laugh about before you run out of topics, so if you spend some time apart, you learn more about each other over time and not all at once. Also, spending time apart is important because you need to focus on making yourself a better person by relishing in your own hobbies, spending time with friends and family, learning new skills, etc. These are things that make you an even more attractive person.

Don't be discouraged when you're *not* in a relationship. Know that there are billions of people in the world and there's no way that not one of them could not like you. Don't let any negativity that past partners or others have said about you traumatize you into doubting or hating yourself. Use your time as a single person to indulge in yourself (see DO YOU) and also expand your horizons to meet new and interesting people (aka potential boos!)

I know many people may not agree with this one so I will just speak for myself: as a woman, it's okay to be feminine if you so desire! I know as black women/women of color we aren't typically represented or expected to be feminine as much as we are presented as hypersexualized. However, I think one of the things I love about my current relationship is that I feel very feminine and cherished without feeling like I've lost my independence or sense of self. In fact, I've actually taken it upon myself to explore and learn more about my own femininity just because this is the first relationship where I really feel proud to be the woman in the picture. I'm not promoting that all women put on a skirt and become part of a girly monolith, but if it's something you're considering, don't be afraid to do things that make you feel more like "a lady" (have your partner pay on dates, be chased and not have the one chasing, wear makeup/get your hair done, etc.) Some people will argue that you are falling into traditional gender roles, but at the end of the day, it's your choice.

Be upfront about what you want in a relationship right away. If you're looking for something long term, don't act like you're just "here for fun." If you think it's time to meet the parents, let your partner know! As long as they are reasonable, don't be afraid to share your wants/needs with your partner. I think as a younger woman, I was afraid to tell some of my first boyfriends that I wanted more than to just fool around. I felt disgusted by my relationship and with myself for never really staying true to my standards and expectations. There are some things you can compromise on, but your standards are not one of them. On the flip side, it's really unfair to your partner to expect them to just know what you want without ever communicating your needs. Communication is everything, and if you've done all the talking you can do and your partner still doesn't comply, considering ending the relationship because someone so selfish is probably not for you.

Thanks is not enough. This almost exactly how feel and view my current relationship in reference to femininity.

Avoid men who have no friends, especially friends of the same sex. This means either he's not easy to get along with, anti-social, or might become clingy. On the flip side, pay attention to the types of friends a man keeps; birds of a feather flock together. If he hangs around scum, it's safe to assume he's flawed as well.

Men that talk about past girl friends as the problem are actually the ones with the problem

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I learned until you love and nuture and accept YOU, you will never be happy! I spent so much of my life serving others, thinking love was about giving and making others happy. I was in relationships, being angry, resentful and envious of my partners. One day I realized that I was angry at myself because I was so busy loving others, I never took the time to love me. I had never accessed what it was about me that I loved. What MY wants and needs was and what I wanted for MY life.

I spent years making sure I was pleasing to friendships, family and relationships that I looked up and realized I didn't even know what LOVE was or being In-Love felt like. I was so busy being everything to others, that those moments and feelings were oblivious to me. Now...I spend life nurturing me and giving me what I need inside. I no longer worry about being the best friend, daughter, sister, or wife. The relationship I concentrate on is the one with ME. Sadly enough it took me 30+ years to get here but its a weight lifted and it feels pretty darn good!

So the greatest lesson I learned is to heal the relationship with myself so I can be in a great relationship with others!

:yep: This was my experience too.

Lessons learned:

Pay attention to your body. If you're getting sick more often it's probably because someone in your life is stressing you out. Even if your mind refuses to acknowledge the truth, your body always does.

Never ever settle. Settling is different than compromising. Don't date someone you're unequally yoked with and this can mean many things - spiritually, mentally, intellectually, maturity. At least don't do these things if ur close to 30. By then try and find someone that has their life together.

On a more positive note, from all of my relationships I've learned - u should never ever have to question if a man is into you. If he is, there will be absolutely no doubt abt it. Look at how he treats other people and handles situations it will give u insight into his moral compass. Little things a man does is very telling of their character.

Look at who their close friends are. I do this with everyone tho.

Look at how he treats his mother and strangers.

Lessons learned: Pay attention to your body. If you're getting sick more often it's probably because someone in your life is stressing you out. Even if your mind refuses to acknowledge the truth, your body always does.
Truth
Truth
Truth

Particularly if you're sensitive. Your body will let u know oftentimes before ur rational mind.

I've learned that God brings some people in your life and allows others to exit out of your life, it all works together and benefits you. I used to try to befriend peeps for so long that I thought should be in my life, popular, prestigious, whatever, but like spirits gravitate to like personalities and we should not allow ourselves to feel any less of a valuable person when someone WE esteem does not gravitate toward us. Im so much more at peace now not begging at the door of someone's little morsel of selfish friendship. I have kept the few and made new friends of those who can mutually enrich my life. Some people think they are doing you a favor to throw you a bone of their presc:look:ence or company, granted I know people are busy like myself but life is short and the only thing that really matters in the end is people.

Even if the relationship goes down hill, never regret it because it gives you wisdom for the next. If you find that a lot of the family members are crazy, there are big chances he is as well. If he doesn't take you into consideration with everything he does, then your not important. I can't be with a smoker

Big lesson I've learned - I don't grow to be in love with someone. I can grow to love them and care about them deeply as a person/hv their well being in interest but not grow to be in love with them. The two are vastly different. I love my mom, my brother, our dog --- I am not in love with them. The love I have for my SO should be different and if this is missing then this is not where I need to be.

It takes a lot for me to be in love with someone. I don't fall in love real easily. I may fall in lust and that will come and go quickly - and I let the relationship go easily bc :look: but falling in love and really loving the person is a total different story.

Sexual compatibility is important - very important.

*I* need a man who is a leader. I no longer think this is a preference but has become a need and a quality I will scout out going forward. Interestingly enough, a dating compatibility quiz told me this a few years ago. I also *need* someone that is big on personal development, growth, and is a deep thinker. Someone that has wisdom / depth / insight.

Men that talk about past girl friends as the problem are actually the ones with the problem Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Yep! An ex fr a few years ago always spoke abt how horrible his ex was and blah blah blah... True pansy he was! Overly sensitive, head in the clouds, no type of accountability for anything. I dropped him with no qualms at all! Oddly enough he hit me up this morning totally out the blue to confess his transgressions lol. he wanted to talk to me face to face but I declined that offer.

Back