How do you feel about members creating their own sites and charging?

I'm positive Robin and Chicoro are not the same person. If you go to robin's site, she says she is relaxed and grew her hair out using braids. Chicoro is natural and grew her hair out by baggying and wearing buns/ponytails (if I recall correctly).

Chicoro's book is called Grow it!. Maybe the previous poster got the two titles mixed up.
ok yeah it was the site I was thinking of years ago

and as I stated in my now edited post

I saw pics of the creator and a live vid years ago. It's not Chicoro

JMO...I joined this site because...

A. The info given and the search feature is just great.
B. I love all the different forums.
C. I love opinions I don't always want just the good or bad, I want reality.

and to me this is what makes LHCF. I pay my $6.50/yr just for that...now on the flipside if it got too catty, threads stopped making sense, or somehow LHCF just burst into flames I would go somewhere else and if I had to pay $10.00/mo, then so be it as I am not a hair guru. I don't have the niche for hair thats why I pay for the help. When it comes to my health, hair and really just me period I am willing to invest in someone else for their experience, mentoring and education especially if you are where I want to be...you invest in schools, stocks/financial, work, etc...to me my haircare is no different.

Looking at my PJ stash...Hell if the haircare companies is making money off of ya'll recommendations...cause grant it I base most of my purchases off of what ya'll experiences are and ya'lls unofficial marketing ya'll be doing on here...sheez I would imagine more of ya'll would be making websites/forums than making threads...IMO

...and to sum it all up I am paying for the convenience of having all the haircare information I need in one place. I do research all day at work I don't have time to be all across the web looking for hair info as good black haircare info is pretty scarce anywho...
Contradiction

if we weren' t making these threads then you wouldn't in turn have the forum

I don't see the big deal. If we want to go into all that then:

What about the lurkers (yes, not even paying members) who have made Partner on youtube using content they learnt from here and are getting money for it, however little?

What about the bloggers who might have learnt some of the things they share from here and make money from ads and however else bloggers make money?

At the end of the day, people are thinking and doing what they have to do. Respect the hustle!

Contradiction

if we weren' t making these threads then you wouldn't in turn have the forum

No contradiction to me as I am speaking in the money aspect as I think the knowledge given here is worth more than its weight in gold. There are several of ya'll that if ya'll told me that you were going to venture off I would follow...I say that because in my 25 years of having hair (according to my mother my first two years I was bald-headed until she took me to the church alter and had my hair prayed on with the prayer oil...:lachen:) my hair practices were just wretched. Ya'll really have undone my unhealthy hair care practices and my hair thanks ya'll in its HHCJ.

My mother passed away when I was 12 going on 13 so she didn't have a chance to really teach me about my hair as my dad up until he passed kept all of us gurls in salons and thats when my hair just really fell off of a cliff. If I would've found this site sooner maybe my hair experience would be different. But, I didn't until Sept/October of this year find this community of women who are teaching me different. So to me all this info here is just priceless...

And let me add when I tell everybody about this site (yeah I need me a LHCF T-Shirt) I tell them the price as well and they are like "really?"..."that's it!"..."***** get outta here!" because what I've learned from here got my hair blinging, swanging, and sounding like an expert when I talk about my hair and I only paid $6.50/yr. So maybe LHCF is undervalued...lol Heck if a hairdresser can charge me $75-$80 *which is what I paid to my beautician and my hair still wasn't healthy...than why shouldn't you gorgeous tresses charge and make money for yourself?

Last edited:

No contradiction to me as I am speaking in the money aspect as I think the knowledge given here is worth more than its weight in gold. There are several of ya'll that if ya'll told me that you were going to venture off I would follow...I say that because in my 25 years of having hair (according to my mother my first two years I was bald-headed until she took me to the church alter and had my hair prayed on with the prayer oil...:lachen:) my hair practices were just wretched. Ya'll really have undone my unhealthy hair care practices and my hair thanks ya'll in its HHCJ.

My mother passed away when I was 12 going on 13 so she didn't have a chance to really teach me about my hair as my dad up until he passed kept all of us gurls in salons and thats when my hair just really fell off of a cliff. If I would've found this site sooner maybe my hair experience would be different. But, I didn't until Sept/October of this year find this community of women who are teaching me different. So to me all this info here is just priceless...
oh ok I FEEL you....

I wasn't getting what you were saying

haha I was like :giggle: AND :lachen: at your mother having you prayed over with oil as a baby!

but hey prayer works! I have had a hair miracle or two or three:yep:

I think this kind of thinking is short sighted. How many products do you use that are the product of someone taking another's idea and making it better. You wouldnt have a choice of car if folks allowed Ford to be the only one's making cars, Im sure you are on Facebook, that isnt original either. Its about business and competition is good for everybody, and there is room for more than one person in a particular niche, and you as a consumer take advantage of this principle every time you get a chance to have product variety. LHCF is a wealth of info, and this is no slight to Bev, but someone could make a killing doing LHCF a lot better(from a user experience point of view). So no I dont have a problem with people taking info from here and creating something else, I would hope they are adding a twist tho or it could be a waste of time and resources if there isnt effective product differentiation. For example, I cant think of the name of the lady that has the other board for 99 dollars and the rollerset dvd, she is not in direct competition with this board. She offers a niche service this board does not, and is able to charge a premium. She is well within her rights to do so.

Last edited:
Just chiming in: I feel that if anyone has something helpful to offer and if people are willing to pay for that information (seeing how there's nothing really new under the sun) then good for them.

I do, however, feel sad for someone I know who recently decided to subscribe to the site of a lady who mostly gives good hair advice for people with her own hair type. My friend is a 4bcdefg and the site is a 3b/c haired woman. Her tips just do not work for my friend...and because she doesn't know any better, she thinks this LHCF member is the bees knees.

I tried to tell her that if she came here, she would get info on ALL hair types PLUS be able to ask and answer questions in a community of women who are dedicated to healthy hair for women of color.

I wish the site owner big-upped LHCF the way she did her own business.

Oh well...I can't have it all, can I?

cj

And let me add when I tell everybody about this site (yeah I need me a LHCF T-Shirt) I tell them the price as well and they are like "really?"..."that's it!"..."***** get outta here!" because what I've learned from here got my hair blinging, swanging, and sounding like an expert when I talk about my hair and I only paid $6.50/yr. So maybe LHCF is undervalued...lol Heck if a hairdresser can charge me $75-$80 *which is what I paid to my beautician and my hair still wasn't healthy...than why shouldn't you gorgeous tresses charge and makemoney for yourself?
Just saw your edit!!!

:lachen::lachen:

girl........shhhhh :sekret:

and to the last statement I think just about everybody has thought about it:look:

This is the only site I have paid for. I will not pay for another site. I can find what ever I want and if I want a spend on the info, all I have to do is read through the threads. Everyone does something diff!

I never understand the insistence that stuff/information should be free.

Nothing is free.
Yeah along with acting as if just because one person has a board that board is just like this board. :nono:Two black women can both have hair boards and be doing something totally different with them that may warrant a change in price. A Yugo is not the same as a Mercedes but they are both cars. So I dont get why folks keep harping on the prices others are choosing to charge, especially if youre not a member over there and dont know exactly what ppl are getting for the fee. I hope the ladies who are starting new boards for more money are putting in value added features that make it worth it. Just because two people own a board doesnt mean the level of service or the product is the exact same. You'd look like a fool going to the Mercdes dealer telling them charge you reasonable Yugo prices since they are both cars and can take you to the same place. The bonus is in the details.

Last edited:
I just heart this ...

And let me add when I tell everybody about this site (yeah I need me a LHCF T-Shirt) I tell them the price as well and they are like "really?"..."that's it!"..."***** get outta here!" because what I've learned from here got my hair blinging, swanging, and sounding like an expert when I talk about my hair and I only paid $6.50/yr. So maybe LHCF is undervalued...lol Heck if a hairdresser can charge me $75-$80 *which is what I paid to my beautician and my hair still wasn't healthy...than why shouldn't you gorgeous tresses charge and make money for yourself?

Incredible. So let me get this straight, you're okay when LHCF charges you $6.50 annually to be a member of this board but when another young black lady decides that she'd like to do the same and create a site catering to people interested in her expertise now you're up in arms and have a problem?

Golly, I wonder why Black businesses have such a difficult go of it.

Every mega board had to start somewhere and they werent all that and a bag of chips when they first came on the scene till they were able to build a reputation and a following. It seems to me certain businesses are still seen as more viable then others because we just love to tear eachother down.

I am happy to see any brotha or sista decide to take a chance and become enterprising and entrepreneurial. MaCherieAmor has a video tutorial where she teaches people to rollerset, some people will benefit from that and order it, and others wont. Its supply and demand, capitalism. If you don't feel it will be helpful or you feel its redundant then keep it movin, but don't tell me the sista is wrong for starting a business just like the one you regularly patronize.

Also there are certain things I've come to realize that you can't just type to people like for example, some people don't know how to cornrow, some people dont know how to flat twist properly, some people dont know how to properly do a self press of their roots without burning themselves, some people don't know how to do a straw set, some people don't know how to put in braid extensions and twist extensions, I know how to do all of those styles because I taught myself or if I see someone do a style or technique once, then I know how to do it. When I came to this site I realized not everyone is like that. If you have such a high volume of people that are interested in your expertise or your particular technique, then I say go for it and live your life helping other people gain knowlege and skill.

Thats how I feel.

Last edited:
The same way I feel about people mixing up sh*t in their kitchen, selling it while biting off the same ingredients in a million other things and claiming it's manna from heaven.

I just don't care!! lol!

I crack the hell up when I see people charging for advice. But hey, everyone has a hustle...

Incredible. So let me get this straight, you're okay when Nikos Dimopoulos charges you $6.50 annually to be a member of this board but when a young black lady decides that she'd like to do the same and create a site catering to people interested in her expertise now you're up in arms and have a problem?

Beverly, a black woman, owns this board and is the one charging 6.50. Nikos does the technical maintenance.

Incredible. So let me get this straight, you're okay when Nikos Dimopoulos charges you $6.50 annually to be a member of this board but when a young black lady decides that she'd like to do the same and create a site catering to people interested in her expertise now you're up in arms and have a problem?

Every mega board had to start somewhere and they werent all that and a bag of chips when they first came on the scene till they were able to build a reputation and a following. It seems to me certain businesses are still seen as more viable then others because we just love to tear eachother down.

I am happy to see any brotha or sista decide to take a chance and become enterprising and entrepreneurial. MaCherieAmor has a video tutorial where she teaches people to rollerset, some people will benefit from that and order it, and others wont. Its supply and demand, capitalism. If you don't feel it will be helpful or you feel its redundant then keep it movin, but don't tell me the sista is wrong for starting a business just like the one you regularly patronize.

Also there are certain things I've come to realize that you can't just type to people like for example, some people don't know how to cornrow, some people dont know how to flat twist properly, some people dont know how to properly do a self press of their roots without burning themselves, some people don't know how to do a straw set, some people don't know how to put in braid extensions and twist extensions, I know how to do all of those styles because I taught myself or if I see someone do a style or technique once, then I know how to do it. When I came to this site I realized not everyone is like that. If you have such a high volume of people that are interested in your expertise or your particular technique, then I say go for it and live your life helping other people gain knowlege and skill.

Thats how I feel.

Nikos only maintains this site. I think Beverly owns it.

Beverly, a black woman, owns this board and is the one charging 6.50. Nikos does the technical maintenance.
Nice! I've never been so glad to be corrected in my life:grin: Yay!

I shall edit:yep:

Okay I edited the first sentence thanks maysay and ceecy29

Last edited:
i was alittle disappointed to click on a members link and was taken to thier blog that they charge for. this person was a friend on my fotki and i had look forward to reading info and seeing thier updates. I wasnt mad just disappointed. Its like how my hubby is, people give him stuff, if someone else needs it he will give it to them for free, because he is not losing out on anything either way. Thats what i call a good heart.

I already have an idea for a side hair hustle

it aint on the internet though

have a product idea too, but have not shared it with a soul

don't know how to start tho.......

Since I haven't spoke on this yet, not everybody has to pay to give our secrets, techniques , regimens, share what we have learned etc etc ETC. We have done it by choice, I could go on lamenting about that or I can stop , but we are not here by force, and lhcf will go on without any of us

some ladies have really really put alot into the forum over the years, and have actually done what feels like 'real work' helping others, while it's not fully seen openly just how much that person might even be doing off board as well, on fotki, pm's, emails, youtube , other boards/forums etc. It can get tiring

I can relate to someone not wanting to do all that for free

Last edited:
I just heart this ...

This pic was taken about 4 1/2 months I was prayed on according to my mother...:lachen: And I still have that baby fine hair till this day!!!***And look at that big ol' ribbon in my damn head...My mama was trying though...***
29x6xeg.jpg

oh and anyone that put anything INTO this forum, cannot lie and dip in and and out of here and say they got nothing in return. Cause we all got plenty too.........But we can't look at these ladies as though they 'owe' this forum to keep giving to it because they got, because they don't. Also they GAVE plenty too :yep:

but of course nobody has a patent on the information,

ok that's my 2cent's

Ahhhh. Precious. Perfect. Beautiful. Both of you.
Thank you for sharing.

Girl, look, prayer works. I live off prayer, so I'm with Mama all the way! You see it worked, didn't it? :yep:

This pic was taken about 4 1/2 months I was prayed on according to my mother...:lachen: And I still have that baby fine hair till this day!!!***And look at that big ol' ribbon in my damn head...My mama was trying though...***
29x6xeg.jpg

29x6xeg.jpg
awww adorable and cute!

girl what you turning this thread into , the 'hair story from day one thread'??? :lachen::lachen: I got one too

CAPTION

And it all began with this little 'tuft' :lachen:

mommynme-vi.jpg

Back