How do you feel about Nappy edges and lots of new growth with relaxed hair.

QueenNefi said:
I wrap and tie my hair down with a satin scarf every evening. I have 4b hair that has a mind of its own. I see 4 b ladies that have perfectly smooth hair but the trade off is often at the sacrifice of the health of their hair.

Welp, if it doesnt bother you as the wearer...and we are not related, it wont bother me.
Now if you were my cousin & nem, Id probably urge you to go natural & offer to style your hair in a way that camoflauges the issue.

I wouldn't dare comment about someone's edges unless they asked and I was their stylist. Anyone who comments about mine without me requesting the commentary better watch the hell out!

Do I get offended by it? NO
But sometimes people need to practice better styling options to make the textures blend better. It's all about the styling IMO.

i don't care about anybody else's new growth. But for me..rough edges with a slicked back style can really mess a hairstyle up.

how do you define nappy? most women on this board stretch their relaxers and manage to have a well groomed, polished look. nappy new growth and all. do you feel nappy edges and relaxed hair don't look good together? folks who stretch, or transition are walking around looking a hot mess?

tumblr_m80h0n3laf1rqcu9eo1_500.png

This is my hair at 20 weeks- I stretch 25 weeks. I wear air dried buns everyday, so my new growth is pretty tame, but I'm 48 ( Aug.3rd B-day ) and despite the gray streaks throughout, it's not too bad. My edges have always been on the thin side--castor oil( Jamaican Lavender ) and rosemary e oil are helping them to grow.
I also put in some pictures after my March relaxer.

White t-shirt recent, sweaters - after march relaxer

Last edited:
Why are some ladies offended by lots of new growth when someone has relaxed hair? It doesn't bother me one bit but women around me make comments or remind me that I have two different textures. My edges fell out six months after the birth of baby. I am nursing the edges back to health so I don't dare put gel on them. I live in Florida so I sweat out flat ironed hair within days. I always stretch my texturizer as long as possible. Any suggestions? What do you think?

I am texlaxed and I can relate to you completely QueenNefi. I like my edges no matter how much new growth I have. My hair edges look somewhere between 3c and 4a but the middle of my head is like 4b-4c. Strange I know, but it's true

I use KeraCare Edge Tamer on my edges when I pull it back in a bun and I tell you honey, this product works magnificently on taming my edges after moisturizing and oiling them.

It does not have any mineral oil or petrolatum in it and I love it love it loooooove it! I will order 2 jars of it on my next order. Also you don't have to use a lot of it either.

New growth....meaning edges and relaxed hair is not a cute look boo:nono::nono::nono: especially if the ng is greying:nono::nono::nono:. It looks unkempt.

Back