He Did Not Contact Me For Mother's Day

PrettyBrownEyes

The guy I am seeing did not contact me for Mother's Day to wish me "Happy Mother's Day" and I feel some kind of way about it. I'm not the mother of his kids but he knows I'm a mother.

Opinions?

You are not his mother and you are not the mother of his kids. IMO he didn't do anything wrong.

I lean towards this line of thinking.

Did he know how important Mother's Day is to you? Did you mention how you were looking forward to the cards and stuff from your children?

For some mothers, it's not a big deal. For me, it's a little bit of a deal. I mention it in the weeks coming up (not overly talking about, but I bring it up here and there) and therefore would be hurt not to get an acknowledgement.

I lean towards this line of thinking.

Did he know how important Mother's Day is too you? Did you mention how you were looking forward to the cards and stuff from your children?

For some mothers, it's not a big deal. For me, it's a little bit of a deal. I mention it in the weeks coming up (not overly talking about, but I bring it up here and there) and therefore would be hurt not to get an acknowledgement.

No, he didn't. I was just surprised since he always asks about my kids and has even asked me if I would be open to having one more if we get married.

Mother's day is a celebratory day for many but a hurtful day for enough. Everyone remembers Mother's who get props. However deceased parents, deceased children, miscarriage, fertility issues, history of unfit parents, children with issues, etc are painful triggers that are usually overlooked on mother's day. I always try to be considerate of the full picture of how parents, women, children and people in general are impacted by mother's/father's day good, bad and complicated.

Last edited:
He may have happily celebrated with his Aunt and the Mother of his children. The OP doesn't say what he did that day, just that he didn't wish her a happy Mother's Day.

He definitely did not celebrate with mother of his children. Lol! His aunt lives out of state.

It may not be a deal breaker but you should take heed. Even if Mother's Day is not a big deal to him, even if he is grieving on that day, he could have said hey hope you have a nice Mother's Day. I'm not sure I'd even mention it. I'd just keep observing and taking mental notes. Let him show you how he feels and who he is. See how he treats you on holidays and day in and day out. You've only been dating a few months. IMO you don't really know him that well yet. IMO it is not your job to train a grown man. It's his job to learn you, to pay attention, to be kind. The explaining how important every little thing is to you gets old real quick. Mother's Day is not some random, odd holiday. I wouldn't explain anything to him. Watch and observe.

I'm on the fence... Practically, he did not do anything wrong. But he is showing you "his best" during the courting phase, so just take note that he likely will not acknowledge you on Mother's Day moving forward.

Meh. Holidays bring out the "Pick Me" in people. There's so much backstory that wasn't provided. She said she was "seeing" him for a few months. Is it exclusive? How does he view holidays in general?

Why not just mention that you feel a way about his actions?? Rough time or not, if this becomes something serious wouldn't you want to know for future reference?

Yes, just ask and report back.

ETA: I'm not a mom of a human (I have a pup) but even I was wished Happy Mothers Day from people who didn't know if I was a mom or not. There is no excuse.

Last edited:
I dunno. I would find it a little strange, random people on the street will tell you happy mother's day, so I would assume a guy I am dating would as well. But I am particular about those types of things.
This is what I came in to say. People wished ME a happy mother's day yesterday and I'm not even a mom. How difficult is it to just say it knowing that someone is a mom?

You are not his mother and you are not the mother of his kids. IMO he didn't do anything wrong.

Apparently some men do feel this way- that Mother's Day is a day to celebrate their mother and maybe the mother of their children but not all women who are mothers.

His mother died when he was young as he was raised by an aunt. How does he feel about Mother's Day? Does he have an issue with holidays in general or this day in particular (maybe it brings up sad memories)? You should tell him how you feel and allow him to tell you how he feels,

Back