Do you believe everyone that claims they are "natural"?

what is considered natural hair to you?

• hair that is not chemically altered to become straight

Votes: 185 94.9%
  • hair that has: chem color, perm, texturizer anything besides shampoo/condi

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • hair that: is shampooed with chemicals I wash my hair with water only!

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
isis77
misleading them with your chemically texlaxed hair.....dam dam dam lol!!!!! joking some us may have fibbed a bit about our tresses in the past. it's funny because with men you can tell them anything about your hair and they will believe it they don't know what women do to their hair lol!!!!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

What can I say? I tried to educate the people but I've found that most will believe what they want to anyway. Now if someone took the time out to really ask and try to let me explain a texlax to them, then I'd absolutely rep the texlax I have for now! :lachen: But no one outside of LHCF really gets the whole texlax thing. Your either straight= perm or curly= natural...no in betweens. (at least w/ the people I've been running into)

I think people lie though like someone mentioned earlier b/c of the whole "good hair/bad hair" myth. I too was very confused by the celebs in hair mags who had "natural" hair but was then shown in a salon chair with a relaxer the next day :spinning:. Haha! even a family member of mine has tried that -ish on us before! But I think some people feel that if they have pretty hair relaxed, it will make them look even better if they say "oh yea! it's all natural! no perms! it just lays down!" when, like everyone else has said, it doesn't matter!

healthy hair = pretty hair, natural OR whatever! :lachen:

no, what I usually see is someone saying they are 75% is saying they are not bone straight. Like 100% is relaxed bone straight so what they are saying is that they have only broken down their cortex only about 75% and it wasn't completely stomped into submission.

:lachen: That percentage thing gets me too! I don't understand it. I figure since I'm transitioning that no matter to what "%" a certain spot on my head is texlaxed, it's all chems and it's all coming off when I BC!

As you can see, there are many definitions of natural. :lachen:

I base my opinions on alteration/retention of your hair's natural texture/curl pattern/coil pattern. If you permanently straighten your hair or always wear your hair straight, i don't think you're natural...you just don't have a relaxer.

I use Joan from Girlfriend's as an example. when the show first began she was natural, although her hair had highlights. Years later, she either relaxed her hair or constantly wore it straight so I no longer consider it natural b/c i could no longer see her natural culr pattern.

I don't fit anyone's version of natural, so I'm honestly not that concerned with labeling other people's hair:lachen:

jmho

:lachen: Thanks. Yeah, I guess there are many different types of natural hair. I think we should all just think of ourselves as whatever we want. I remember my friend and I used to joke around (she BC'd so she's completely natural now) back when she was a relaxed head and say "My hair is 100% natural--it grows from my scalp, don't it?" :lachen:. And I remember this one lady at my job asked me "is that your natural hair" and I didn't know what to tell her because I didn't know if she was asking if this was my "real" hair (aka no weaves) or was my hair virgin hair (no relaxers). Turns out she was really trying to ask if my hair was a weave or not, so it gets kind of confusing at times.

I know that many consider natural as different things. For me, I don't consider pressing to be natural because you are causing a chemical alteration in the way your hair pattern is, even if it is temporary.

They may be natural since you never see most of their hair anyway. It's usually under wigs, weaves and what not. I guess they mean their real hair is natural. LOL.

it's not chemical though...just a physical alteration which can lead to permanent straightness :)

chemical breaks the bonds in your hair so they don't kink up

LOL Makes you just wanna throw some water on their hair doesn't it? :lachen:

But seriously, I dont know why people would lie. Maybe they think as natural as being their real hair. And ofcourse you have the folks giving people "silkeners" and not telling them its a chemical. And lets not get started on the naturalaxers.

I knew a girl who claimed she was au natural. But something didn't seem right. When I was at her house I found a Mizani perm in the refridgerator. :blush:

LMAOOOOOOOOOO your so silly :lachen:

:lachen: Thanks. Yeah, I guess there are many different types of natural hair. I think we should all just think of ourselves as whatever we want. I remember my friend and I used to joke around (she BC'd so she's completely natural now) back when she was a relaxed head and say "My hair is 100% natural--it grows from my scalp, don't it?" :lachen:. And I remember this one lady at my job asked me "is that your natural hair" and I didn't know what to tell her because I didn't know if she was asking if this was my "real" hair (aka no weaves) or was my hair virgin hair (no relaxers). Turns out she was really trying to ask if my hair was a weave or not, so it gets kind of confusing at times.

i forgot about that caveat. In that scenario I think your response should've been yes, if you were weaveless. :lachen:There are way too many definitions.

the hair boards tend to have harsher criteria for everything anyway and we make up words. Texlaxed wasn't a word I used prior to LHCF, it was just underprocessed:ohwell:. I didn't know that someone would aim for underprocessed hair. :lachen:Yet, I did, but I never used the word texlaxed in my every day life, I just said that I didn't relax my hair all the way straight. I was just relaxed IRL, but on LHCF I was texlaxed.

i get questioned a lot IRL. when flatroned by a stylist my hair is super sleek and shiny and looks like i have a relxer. most dont believe me if they never saw my bush. my hair is super thick , but relatively easy to straighten and doesnt revert much.

no, what I usually see is someone saying they are 75% is saying they are not bone straight. Like 100% is relaxed bone straight so what they are saying is that they have only broken down their cortex only about 75% and it wasn't completely stomped into submission.
Which still raises the question of how do they know to what % the hair is chemically altered. To each their own I guess. And what about the other 25%? j/k. :look: just askin.

heat stretch or not my hair is natural( second year transitioning) and I have the hours, hardwork, flat iron, and fear of rain to prove it!
I'll be relieved once I relax it...or find another way to deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it really matter?

If THEY think they're natural...then THEY are, who are WE to question or castrate another grown woman?

Personally, I have previously colored, heat-damaged pieces of my hair and 5 different textures, am I liar? No. Do I have to prove myself to anybody? No. And if you think differently, you better ask somebody.

i didn't kno people lied about being natural. i automatically believe them if they say it..y lie.

To me texlaxed is nowhere near natural. its still a relaxer
not natural=relaxed, texlaxed, texturized, perm
i always wonderd why people even say texlaxed. They are still relaxed. ..just not bone straight...u can't say you're natural or even near it when u have a chemical in your hair.

I never questioned it. Never thought about it until this thread because I didn't think people would actually lie about it.

Honestly I don't put much thought into it...I couldn't care less. All I do is look for hair similar to mine...and what products/styles works best on hair like mine. To each his/her own...you like it...I love it. And what does it matter if they are lying? LOL If that makes their ship float...so be it. LOL

i forgot about that caveat. In that scenario I think your response should've been yes, if you were weaveless. :lachen:There are way too many definitions.

the hair boards tend to have harsher criteria for everything anyway and we make up words. Texlaxed wasn't a word I used prior to LHCF, it was just underprocessed:ohwell:. I didn't know that someone would aim for underprocessed hair. :lachen:Yet, I did, but I never used the word texlaxed in my every day life, I just said that I didn't relax my hair all the way straight. I was just relaxed IRL, but on LHCF I was texlaxed.

:lachen: Wow, it's all so confusing. I'm just going to take continue to take people's word for it. It takes too much brain power and investigatory skills for me to figure out what's natural and what's not :grin:.

What about people who change their texture permanently with henna, baking soda, or coconut/lime? These things are natural but cause a chemical change in your hair. I just had to say that even though I think that we have beaten this conversation to death.

My hair reverts and I have mad shrinkage - doesn't make me natural.
When people IRL say something about my hair being natural I just say "No my hair isn't natural" they look confused but usually don't care enought to ask for an explanation.
If I was to go around IRL talking about my relaxed hair, people would look at my like I had lost my mind.

I am happy to be texlaxed (and all that implies) when I talk to the LHCF family. For the uninitiated (IRL) I am texturized to keep it simple.

Bottom Line: You just do you, imma do me.

Very good points, but what about BKT & Thermal straightening??

Pardon my ignorance, i dont know alot about bkt, but if you are refferencing the brazilian keratin. then i still would have to say that though it straightens the hair coil, it is still temporary. it is for a longer time than pressing flat ironing ect.... but still temporary. if i am correct, after a couple months or so the hair starts to revert. unlike the perm that has to grow out and does not revert. if the outer layers of the hair are not broken down to cause the straightness to the hair shaft, like relaxers do then why is it not considered natural??

If the TEXTURE of your hair is not PERMANENTLY altered then i consider you natural.

I consider dyed hair, natural textured hair.
I consider thermal straightened hair, natural textured hair.
I consider the BKT, natural textured hair.

and so on....

I think some people are just so militant about this whole "what is natural hair" and "no chemical" thing that they run too far with it.

An aphogee treatment causes a chemical reaction to the hair, doesn't mean one isn't natural.

However texlaxed, texturized, under processed hair is NOT natural. IMO.

Pardon my ignorance, i dont know alot about bkt, but if you are refferencing the brazilian keratin. then i still would have to say that though it straightens the hair coil, it is still temporary. it is for a longer time than pressing flat ironing ect.... but still temporary. if i am correct, after a couple months or so the hair starts to revert. unlike the perm that has to grow out and does not revert. if the outer layers of the hair are not broken down to cause the straightness to the hair shaft, like relaxers do then why is it not considered natural??

I didn't say this wasn't natural, I responding to someone else's post. I don't know what is and isn't natural, actually.

I always considered natural to be someone who doesn't relax their hair. I never heard of most of these other processes until I joined this board. I was kind of going back and forth and joking about the topic yesterday because it's so silly to me & I found it amusing that we all have such different opinions.

Last edited:
If a relaxer, silkener or texturizer has touched your head you are no longer natural by any means, I don't care if it still resembles natural hair.

As for anything else I'd say natural. There are many different ways to wear natural hair, so for me wearing your hair pressed is just another option/style to wear your hair natural straightened sans chemicals.

Came into this thread, read a few pages and got a pounding headache, lol! just wanted to say I never thought about this topic so thoroughly. Quite frankly, cut some people some slack. As mentioned by other posters, a person's definition of "natural" might be different from another person's. It's clear that this is the case from the responses in this thread alone.

I totally agree. If someone is relaxer free to, me that means natural. So if someone says they are natural I believe it to be no relaxer. I just love your hair ZZirvingj! You are one of my natural inspirations!

There are different levels of natural hair. I will give you that. I meet the criteria for the basic 2nd level. I have no chemicals in my hair. I do occasionally straighten my hair and I detangle which eliminates me from being the "true" natural. :rolleyes:

I have no reason not to believe them. With all the variations in our hair, I would be hard pressed to tell if their texture was altered by a pic or two on the internet. Might not even be able to tell in real life, so why would I bother with that? It would be a waste of time.

Back