Do you believe everyone that claims they are "natural"?

what is considered natural hair to you?

• hair that is not chemically altered to become straight

Votes: 185 94.9%
  • hair that has: chem color, perm, texturizer anything besides shampoo/condi

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • hair that: is shampooed with chemicals I wash my hair with water only!

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally Posted by Gin
Natural = Relaxer Free IMO
So true Gin!

Originally posted by chicacanella
know that many consider natural as different things. For me, I don't consider pressing to be natural because you are causing a chemical alteration in the way your hair pattern is, even if it is temporary.

They may be natural since you never see most of their hair anyway. It's usually under wigs, weaves and what not. I guess they mean their real hair is natural. LOL.

...heat manually stretches out a coiled hair strand...
Here is my natural hair in its natural state:
morephonepics030-1.jpg

and in my siggy is my natural hair straightened. Why is my hair not natural in my siggy pic? I don't understand your logic. Pressing the hair using heat IS NOT A CHEMICAL ALTERATION!

Last edited:
Well I had a friend who told me she was natural, but texturized......this was obviously before I actually thought about a texturizer still being a chemical. But whatever, I guess.

natural in my opinion = no relaxers

If you press, blow, dye your hair, you're still considered natural. If you want to be technical none of us are really natural, if you wash your hair with tap water, because there are chemicals in the water, if you go outside, there is chemical in the air, if you used store bought hair products, there are chemicals in there.

Some people say their natural hair meaning they put no weaves in their hair and its thier natural real hair.

White people say there natural if they don't color their hair. African Americans consider natural meaning no relaxers....

Do I believe everyone who says that they are Natural? :look: Honestly, I don't really care if you are natural or not, or lying about it or not. :lachen:

I think it's amusing, when it comes down to it, that you are so insecure about the choices you made that you have to lie about it, but that's just me talking.

LMAO!! :lachen:
If you tell me you're natural I'm going to believe you. If my opinion of you is THAT important that you have to lie, then good luck to you LOL The only hair I care about is the one growing out of my head. :drunk:

LOL Makes you just wanna throw some water on their hair doesn't it? :lachen:

But seriously, I dont know why people would lie. Maybe they think as natural as being their real hair. And ofcourse you have the folks giving people "silkeners" and not telling them its a chemical. And lets not get started on the naturalaxers.

I knew a girl who claimed she was au natural. But something didn't seem right. When I was at her house I found a Mizani perm in the refridgerator. :blush:

:lachen::lachen:now thats something

natural in my opinion = no relaxers

If you press, blow, dye your hair, you're still considered natural. If you want to be technical none of us are really natural, if you wash your hair with tap water, because there are chemicals in the water, if you go outside, there is chemical in the air, if you used store bought hair products, there are chemicals in there.

Some people say their natural hair meaning they put no weaves in their hair and its thier natural real hair.

White people say there natural if they don't color their hair. African Americans consider natural meaning no relaxers....

^^^What she said :grin:

I've noticed in magazines and youtube videos that some call their hair natural, meaning that it's not a weave.

I don't think people lie I just think their definition of "natural" may not be my definition of "natural" (relaxer- free).

Interesting... I just tell people that I do not have a relaxer and that is only if they ask.

Although I consider myself natural I dont use this term with others because I wear my hair straight 99.9% of the time.

And when they ask me about my stylist I give them the disclaimer:

It will take time, care, and patience to have your hair turn out like mine. I have beat mine into submission over time... That way they won't visit her expecting a miracle.

I don't know why they would lie either, but they do.

I remember meeting this girl several months ago with a fierce twistout. The ends were very smooth and she claimed she did it on wet/damp hair.

Man, I went out and purchased the products she said used and tried her technique and my hair came out looking nowhere near like hers. I came to the conclusion that she was either texturized or relaxed and lied about being natural.

I was pissed. It's the fact that I went and bought products that does NOTHING for natural hair that really gets to me.

ugh could it possibly be that maybe you guys just didn't have the same hair type...and what worked for her will not work for you:perplexed

For me natural just means NOT relaxed...
some people get silkners... I consider them naturals
too... it's complicated.

aren't silkeners basically texturizers/chemical process? you still have to get touched up no?

A natural person to me has not applied any chemical (silkener, texturizers, relaxer, etc) to their hair.

I'm not sure if people know what natural means because I asked a lady that I met one day if her hair was natural. It was cut in a very cute kinda fade. She said yes and then in the next breath said that she got a texturizer :ohwell:

That's when I learned that some people in my neck of the woods think that "natural" only applies to really short hair.

ugh could it possibly be that maybe you guys just didn't have the same hair type...and what worked for her will not work for you:perplexed

No. She was a 4a. We had the SAME texture, but I did notice that her roots and ends were too smooth, especially the ends.

I've seen plenty of twistouts from REAL naturals in their fotkis and my hair basically looks like theirs.

Sorry, there are peeps that just feel the need to lie about their hair. There have been several so-called "naturals" that were caught out there for being texturized. I don't care if a person is texturized, just admit it, so that those of us who do NOT have chemicals in our hair don't follow your routine.

I know that there are a lot of natural women out there, honestly I don't have to perm but I honestly mostly in the summer like my hair really straight.

I am just noticing that everyone on tv and other places claim to be natural, i don't really believe some of the folks that are claiming to be natural. Why do some front?

what do you ladies think?

i think some people on this board lie about being natural, but hey who am i to judge?

well, i never the term "natural hair" except on hair boards. so they would just say "i don't have a perm on it" lol

now the famous folk that say they're natural, i kinda believe them. they stay under wigs and weaves so much, it makes me wonder if they really are takin the time out to put all the chemicals and such on hair that's gonna be covered back up.

as for average people lying? its usually too obvious to believe them. i was told by somebody that they had long hair w/ no perm on it. her ish was chopped up and bonelaxed!:lachen:

eta:to me, natural means the texture isn't chemically altered. colored, heat stretched, changed by msm, etc is still considered natural to me

Last edited:
So true Gin!

...heat manually stretches out a coiled hair strand...
Here is my natural hair in its natural state:

and in my siggy is my natural hair straightened. Why is my hair not natural in my siggy pic? I don't understand your statement.

Pinkskates, your hair is absolutely lovely, just gorgeous, in both curly and straightened.

Natural = no permanent texture altering chemicals ( relaxed, texlaxed, silkened, wave nouveu (sp), jherri curl, etc.)

I have seen some people on fotki that may be lying about being natural. Their hair looks like a underprocessed relaxer.

What gets me are those who say they are natural but did something to make it look different than their "raw" natural hair. For example, pressing it and wearing it as a braid out but saying that's the natural behavior of their hair. Then you throw water on it and it's just like mine. It's when people are trying to be something they're not that makes me wonder. But as a whole, I really don't care if someone claims natural and they're not. I just worry about me and my reality checks and keeping it real for MY sanity...

I generally believe people when they say they're natural unless it's really obvious that they're not.

Natural to me is hair that has no chemicals that change the texture (relaxer, texturizer, silkener, naturalaxer, texlax, curl, etc), no color, and is not heat stretched (pressed/flat ironed).

Everyone has a different definition of natural so if I really want information from the person I'll ask them about their hair care habits to determine if I can do the same thing with my hair.

why does dye and heat stretching make a person not qualify for the "natural" label? i don't get it

LMAO!! :lachen:
If you tell me you're natural I'm going to believe you. If my opinion of you is THAT important that you have to lie, then good luck to you LOL The only hair I care about is the one growing out of my head. :drunk:

Ithink it has less to do with our opinions of ppl, being important to them, and more to do with the fact that although ppl try and say that good hair bad hair miseducation is not an issue with them .It obviosly is. Hence they lie. it is sad that we are still here @ this point in development.but it is what it is.

anyhow heat stretching is not chemical alteration as i heard one poster say. it is not a chemical change but rather a thermal change. coloring is chemical and alters the color not the coil of the hair, which is why a natural is still considered natural when colored. the only thing that chemically changes natural hair to relaxed hair is relaxer/ texturizer jherri curl ect.....

I don't know about the heat stretching thing but dye is a chemical to me and the hairs has been permanently changed if it is a permanent dye.

To me natural = virgin hair and when I buy virgin hair for a sew-in that stuff better not have been dyed before.

No. Especially after coming to this board and learning about Naturals.

I don't think "trained" (heat damaged) hair should be considered truly Natural. I don't like when folks gloat about thier trained hair. Your hair didnt grow out of your head straight so why are you still claiming natural?

It gets controversial. Some folks feel coloring your hair isnt natural, some say heat-training your hair isn't natural, some folks consider their texlaxed hair "partly" natural..

All i can do is look at their hair and wonder..

I don't think I could EVER be natural by this definition. Even when I was a little girl I got my hair pressed & if I stopped getting relaxers, I would still flat-iron all the time. Why not? If we cut out all chemicals/ altering then I guess only Rastas are "natural."

I totally agree. If someone is relaxer free to, me that means natural. So if someone says they are natural I believe it to be no relaxer. I just love your hair ZZirvingj! You are one of my natural inspirations!

^^^^^^ What she said.

I don't care if people lie or not. I personally find it funny when people who have, in the past, been relaxed/ texlaxed/ dyed/ weaved up, etc. do a BC and suddenly they have this "natural" revelation. :lachen:I'm like, um...weren't you bone straight yesterday?? :look: No offense to anyone, but really.....

I am relaxed and if I ever "go back natural" (whatever that is) it would be for the health of my hair and not for some deep cultural reason or because I care what people think. I once got into a debate with a good friend who has locs because I told him that "locking" the hair is a process in itself, so...he's not really natural, either. :rolleyes: Since then, I'm really over it.

why does dye and heat stretching make a person not qualify for the "natural" label? i don't get it

I look at it this way, if I dye my hair red then my hair is no longer natural because it did not come out of my scalp that color. If I straighten my hair then my hair is no longer natural because it didn't come out of my scalp straight.

I only use this definition for myself though. If other people use a different definition for their hair, that's fine. I know people who say their hair is natural because it's not a weave but it is relaxed, colored, and straightened on a regular basis. If they like it, I love it.

This whole subject always makes me go :huh:

1) WHY is it that anyone would lie about being natural as if it gets you more black points or is somehow better than not being natural.

I have noticed some texlaxed looking people saying they are natural, however I can't prove it, I can't say with 100% certainty that it's not their texture. It's just that if they are lying, that's just plain sad :lol:

2) How can someone with chemically altered hair be considered to be natural? Colored hair isn't natural.

Say I get a bottle of orange juice that says "ALL NATURAL, fresh squeezed, not from concentrate" but it's purple instead of being orange. Adding color = not natural.

That just seems LOGICAL.

Not that I care about what people choose to do with their hair. I don't make assumptions about why people choose to wear their hair a certain way either. It just leaves me perplexed that so many people play so damn dumb over something so simple :lol:

ETA: I also don't get why straightening your hair temporarily makes you "not natural" Even if your hair is a little heat damaged (not until the texture is completely different) your hair is still natural. People wouldn't say that because your hair has been damaged by sunlight, swimming, mechanical manipulation, etc... that it's not natural.

Heat stretched to the point that it doesn't blend in with your natural texture... imo you don't use chemicals, but that's obvious that you don't have your natural texture anymore.

Last edited:
I don't think I could EVER be natural by this definition. Even when I was a little girl I got my hair pressed & if I stopped getting relaxers, I would still flat-iron all the time. Why not? If we cut out all chemicals/ altering then I guess only Rastas are "natural."

^^^^^^ What she said.

I don't care if people lie or not. I personally find it funny when people who have, in the past, been relaxed/ texlaxed/ dyed/ weaved up, etc. do a BC and suddenly they have this "natural" revelation. :lachen:I'm like, um...weren't you bone straight yesterday?? :look: No offense to anyone, but really.....

I am relaxed and if I ever "go back natural" (whatever that is) it would be for the health of my hair and not for some deep cultural reason or because I care what people think. I once got into a debate with a good friend who has locs because I told him that "locking" the hair is a process in itself, so...he's not really natural, either. :rolleyes: Since then, I'm really over it.

Okay!!! I notice that alot.

Well, people have different definitions of natural. I know some people irl who consider texturized thair to be natural. Like Chicanella I didn't consider hair that was always pressed to be natural, either, but that's because of the way I grew up with most of my family getting straight hair via the hot comb. When I went nappy, they referred to me as "the natural" so that's how I continued to see it. Even when I sometimes straightened, it was temporary. It's like even though they got their straightness from heat, they wore it straight 100% of the time so in that sense it was permanent in terms of what people saw. So coming to the hair boards I've learned to call contant straight hair wearers via heat "natural", and I guess that's okay, just a different perspective. And as others have said, some people think as long as it's growing out of your head (i.e. not a weave) that it is natural. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that they may not be lying, they might just have a different perspective on what natural is.

I think the places where you see the real lying is those black hair magazines. Actually, I never read them, but I hear people all the time talking about how celebs talk about their regimens when the pictures are not even their hair. I think that's wrong because it sets up all sorts of false expectations and false information on how natural hair is supposed to behave and what you can expect from it. And we all know that the last thing we need is more false information about natural hair.

And yes, I bolded it, lol.

Last edited:
Back