Do you believe everyone that claims they are "natural"?

what is considered natural hair to you?

• hair that is not chemically altered to become straight

Votes: 185 94.9%
  • hair that has: chem color, perm, texturizer anything besides shampoo/condi

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • hair that: is shampooed with chemicals I wash my hair with water only!

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess some people would say that you aren't natural because you color, and other people would say that you aren't natural because you use shampoo with chemicals instead of rinsing your hair with the juice of some berries that you bought from Piggly Wiggly and blended together in your Juice Master. And then others would say that you aren't natural because the berries weren't organic and you used modern technology to mash them up instead of grinding them together between two rain washed rocks into a bowl made by an Ayurvedic Indian healer. :rolleyes: Then someone else would say that the rain in your area was polluted with chemicals and therefore your rocks were not natural and so your hair isn't either. Really who cares? Decide for yourself whether you are natural or not and tell people how you define natural if they want to know.

As for me, I'm texlaxed and loving it.:yawn:

I typically think about natural as being someone who doesn't chemically relax/texlax their hair. I hadn't put any thought into it more than that. Honestly, I don't believe everyone who says they're natural, neither do I care if they really are or not. They have nothing to prove to me, so I don't see the point (but I know it happens). It's their hair and whatever they decide to do with it, more power to them.

I consider natural as hair that hasn't been relaxed, texlaxed, curly perms, etc--basically chemicals that are used to purposely alter hair texture. I do consider color-treated hair as natural--it can alter texture for some, but it doesn't for all.

Also, I don't understand how someone who'd been told another person's hair is natural--just "has some feeling" that they may be lying, etc. Natural hair is so diverse. I just don't see how anyone would just assume someone's hair may not be natural----or why it would be of any concern to them anyway.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion...when I think "natural" I think "no perm, relaxer, partial/baby/mild relaxer or texturizer", but I know everybody's definition is different so when I ask people if they're natural, I usually follow-up with do you texturize?

I think of "real" hair as hair that grows from your scalp, no weaves, wigs, or transplants. And I think of "virgin" hair as hair that's never been chemically altered (permed, relaxed, colored, or heat-damaged). Like little kid's hair. Not combing or shampooing are too drastic for me to even consider.

Once I texturized, I did not claim natural anymore, but I know people who still considered me "natural" because my hair texture pre and post application was very similar, and I wore my hair out in it's curly/kinky/coily (albeit chemically-altered) state.

In the end, as long as your hair is healthy and you're happy, I don't care what you claim...

I personally don't. People think I'm natural when I wear it out and the only people who go on believing that I'm a natural are the silly ones who don't want to listen to me when I tell them I have a certain type of relaxer in it! :lachen:

But I personally don't consider myself natural, or else I wouldn't be transitioning.

me too. I'm texlaxed but If i wear a wash and go, people swear i'm natural :lol:

I guess some people would say that you aren't natural because you color, and other people would say that you aren't natural because you use shampoo with chemicals instead of rinsing your hair with the juice of some berries that you bought from Piggly Wiggly and blended together in your Juice Master. And then others would say that you aren't natural because the berries weren't organic and you used modern technology to mash them up instead of grinding them together between two rain washed rocks into a bowl made by an Ayurvedic Indian healer. :rolleyes: Then someone else would say that the rain in your area was polluted with chemicals and therefore your rocks were not natural and so your hair isn't either. Really who cares? Decide for yourself whether you are natural or not and tell people how you define natural if they want to know.

:giggle: This thing still has a pulse???

:dead: :lachen:

Back