Dating For Marriage: Advice, Tips, Suggestions

Going back to this question, since the majority of the men I meet and date are divorced single fathers

-Any childless ladies who dated/married men with children willing to share their experiences?
-Red flags
-Would you honestly do it over?
My current boyfriend has a child. I'd never dated anyone with a kid before, and the first few times I heard "I can't do xyz right now, I'm with my son" I threw a little bit of a tantrum. I'm used to being with guys that I can call and say "I'm bored, come get me." But now I've gotten used to it, more or less.

Red flags to look out for: not being involved enough with the kid, or being too involved with the mother.

Would I do it over? Idk. I'm not a kid person, to be honest. My boyfriend's son is a good kid but he's 6 and he talks your ear off from dawn till dusk. I like peace and quiet. But being with someone who already has a child allows you to see what kind of father he'd be to any potential children you would have.

What do you all think of the concept of dead zoning communications during the weekend? Basically, in the early stages of dating, if a man hasn't made plans to see you over the weekend, you're unreachable until Sunday evening. So no casual chatting or texting from Friday evening to Sunday evening. I'm usually not big on strategies but this made me think of men who engage women in endless weekend chat fests but it never goes anywhere. It's definitely a strategy for modern dating. If you have a full weekend schedule and have built up a nice rotation then the unavailability during the weekend makes sense, but what if you are free that weekend? According to The Rules, he's not supposed to know that. He's supposed to wait and wonder what you're up to until you finally respond to him on Sunday evening. I guess fake it til you make it? What do you all think?
If you're "chatting" with a guy who hasn't made weekend date plans with you, stop talking to him. Why waste your time? He's definitely not serious. Men who want to date you will blow your phone up on the Monday before the weekend and won't stop until you agree. Keep it moving ladies.

My mom just told me about a friend of ours whose doctor boyfriend drove from Germany to Sweden to surprise her after work last week! Lol!!! That's so cute, but it's true - men will do crazy things just to spend time with you when they're in love.

I love this thread. I need to start dating soon...sadly, me and SO have decided to part ways after 12 years. It's a tough situation, but I'm determined not to spend the rest of my life alone (like my mother).

I want my next man to have a big heart and a big wallet and a big you know what...
I am sorry to hear that Flowerhair. I hate divorce:(

My mom just told me about a friend of ours whose doctor boyfriend drove from Germany to Sweden to surprise her after work last week! Lol!!! That's so cute, but it's true - men will do crazy things just to spend time with you when they're in love.

I love this thread. I need to start dating soon...sadly, me and SO have decided to part ways after 12 years. It's a tough situation, but I'm determined not to spend the rest of my life alone (like my mother).

I want my next man to have a big heart and a big wallet and a big you know what...
I'm so sorry. And life isn't over. :kiss:

I needed to read the posts about lukewarm men. Thank yall. Already cut off 1, cutting off the other right now. My ex used to drive 7 hours just to see me and to take me to the mall and out to eat. I should know better
Another point I want to make about lukewarm men, somewhere along the way we've been taught that those are the ones to hang on to? That's why some of these men get to be lukewarm, cause y'all do all the work. Men have it made.

This girl I was dating coaching said she had a guy who was driving 8-9 hours from Ohio to GA on the weekends. Now she worked 7-3, Fri, Sat, and Sun. so he had to basically sit there and wait ALL DAY just to spend a few hours with her after work then he would drive all the way back. She said she didn't have a burning passion for him:rolleyes: and he was too nice:rolleyes: and was moving too fast. For whatever reason, we have decided that it's not good love unless you're chasing the man down and waiting on his rotation of women. Burning passion, Burns out. Go with the person who worships you. They'll never be lukewarm, they'll get hotter.

Another point I want to make about lukewarm men, somewhere along the way we've been taught that those are the ones to hang on to? That's why some of these men get to be lukewarm, cause y'all do all the work. Men have it made.

This girl I was dating coaching said she had a guy who was driving 8-9 hours from Ohio to GA on the weekends. Now she worked 7-3, Fri, Sat, and Sun. so he had to basically sit there and wait ALL DAY just to spend a few hours with her after work then he would drive all the way back. She said she didn't have a burning passion for him:rolleyes: and he was too nice:rolleyes: and was moving too fast. For whatever reason, we have decided that it's not good love unless you're chasing the man down and waiting on his rotation of women. Burning passion, Burns out. Go with the person who worships you. They'll never be lukewarm, they'll get hotter.
I think we need to get better at being self-centered. Not selfISH, but more like '... and how does this association benefit me?' Cuz if you think about it, the girl you were coaching had a nice set up: unusual hours and somebody willing to bend to them*. Why would she be actively looking for a person who made her waste her little bit of free time tracking them down? Like, that don't even make no sense. :spinning: But that's because she wasn't thinking about herself. Would you rather have a good three hours with a guy who been waiting (read: feening) all week, so you know he planned something, or some guy who's like, 'Wait, let me check my phone.' :rolleyes:

*This reminds me of something I wanted to share. I think it applies to this thread, but you tell me. SO has had unusual hours for much of his career, Asia don't run on our time. His (yt) coworkers were always like, Oh, that's awesome to have somebody waiting for you with breakfast when you get home, how do yall manage that? And he'd be like, 'o_O Um... she doesn't work.' As the years pass, me and the boss' wife (who also doesn't work) are the only ones still there. Finally, it was like, :think:. Now all his co-workers are looking/ have found women who are the SAH type. Tbh, they mostly end up getting with white latinas since those are the only ones they can find willing to meet the conditions. And the one female co worker found herself a guy who works from home. :lol:

I think the point here is something like, be realistic with how a future mate fits into your life and your schedule. We coulda been head over heels in love with each other, but if, a, I was unwilling to bend to his time restrictions and, b, he didn't respect the sacrifice I was making, we wouldn't have made it. Or he would have switched specialities, leading to less money. :nono: I also probably would have lost a little respect for him. :look:

You should seriously write a dating book for black women. I am not joking.

I think we need to get better at being self-centered. Not selfISH, but more like '... and how does this association benefit me?' Cuz if you think about it, the girl you were coaching had a nice set up: unusual hours and somebody willing to bend to them*. Why would she be actively looking for a person who made her waste her little bit of free time tracking them down? Like, that don't even make no sense. :spinning: But that's because she wasn't thinking about herself. Would you rather have a good three hours with a guy who been waiting (read: feening) all week, so you know he planned something, or some guy who's like, 'Wait, let me check my phone.' :rolleyes:

*This reminds me of something I wanted to share. I think it applies to this thread, but you tell me. SO has had unusual hours for much of his career, Asia don't run on our time. His (yt) coworkers were always like, Oh, that's awesome to have somebody waiting for you with breakfast when you get home, how do yall manage that? And he'd be like, 'o_O Um... she doesn't work.' As the years pass, me and the boss' wife (who also doesn't work) are the only ones still there. Finally, it was like, :think:. Now all his co-workers are looking/ have found women who are the SAH type. Tbh, they mostly end up getting with white latinas since those are the only ones they can find willing to meet the conditions. And the one female co worker found herself a guy who works from home. :lol:

I think the point here is something like, be realistic with how a future mate fits into your life and your schedule. We coulda been head over heels in love with each other, but if, a, I was unwilling to bend to his time restrictions and, b, he didn't respect the sacrifice I was making, we wouldn't have made it. Or he would have switched specialities, leading to less money. :nono: I also probably would have lost a little respect for him. :look:
You make a good point. Dating and choosing a partner is a lifestyle fit much like jobs are a cultural fit. DH has irregular work hours and it's a great fit for me because I like my free time :look: Anyone with a different personality or expectations wouldn't work for either of us.

I don't think people find what I have to say interesting :lol: not enough to buy a book anyway. And The trend now is Boss women who are SM queens and Part-time ministers :lol:

I think it's "boring" because its all been said a million times over. I'll speak for myself and the many who just never applied the advice and/or never knew how to use the info.

I'm experiencing a slow (but steady) come up, so ive been able to see and experience these things from different angles of the female experience.

Ive mentioned before, some of the stuff the women like you preach can't be understood until experienced or until the results are seen. Some of it is even counterintuitive, so in comes the fear of making a false move and "ruining it". There are plenty of great resources on the topic, its just a matter of truly "getting it".

Just my two cents.

Sorry to hear this. 2017 has certainly been a stand out year for you. Hope 2018 is much better and you get what you wish for.

I think it's "boring" because its all been said a million times over. I'll speak for myself and the many who just never applied the advice and/or never knew how to use the info.

I'm experiencing a slow (but steady) come up, so ive been able to see and experience these things from different angles of the female experience.

Ive mentioned before, some of the stuff the women like you preach can't be understood until experienced or until the results are seen. Some of it is even counterintuitive, so in comes the fear of making a false move and "ruining it". There are plenty of great resources on the topic, its just a matter of truly "getting it".

Just my two cents.
I'm glad you explained that so succinctly. It makes sense to me now. I'm guilty of getting aggravated with women who say they want help then, reject every single thing I tell them.

Taking my time reading through this thread. Started slow with the advice. So I’ve been making eye contact and smiling at people all day, with both men and women. Men have been responding sooo differently. Telling me how beautiful I am, following me to my car, telling their boys to look at me. These aren’t the kind of men I’m looking to marry, but it’s great seeing such an immediate change. Thank you ladies. As always, y’all be knowing

Sorry so long...

The way I work is once my husband promises to do something, I (silently) hold him accountable to it and will not "pick up the slack" if he defaults on that promise. I know it sounds wrong, and yes occasionally he's defaulted in big ways but I'm in this for the long run. I can handle temporary inconvenience for a long term behavior change.

Example...My husband was really bad about filling up the gas tank in my SUV. He had no problem pumping the gas but he liked to wait until it was running on fumes before pulling into a Shell station. One year, the night before Thanksgiving, I nagged him about the gas and he decided to wait. To myself, I was like "This is THE LAST time I'm going to remind him. We just gonna have to run out of gas one day!"

Do you know that this man ran out of gas on the highway that night?! When he called I simply paused for about 10 seconds and was like "Baby, you need to preserve your battery life so call me once you've refueled and are safely on your way back home." I never had to gloat, or say "I told you so."

That night the car battery ended up dead because he left the flashers on thus requiring him to call Geico's roadside assistance for a jump but when the guy arrived his jump box wasn't charged. Geico then had to tow my precious vehicle to a lot that had the proper equipment to for a jump.

Even though his repeated phone calls to cuss/vent about the situation plus Geico calling me to verify each step of the process had me up all night I sat at home cute and unbothered like...

enhanced-26298-1432220843-2.jpg

I say allllll of that to say that sometimes men have to learn the hard way and in the situation with your SO needs to know what it feels like to miss you. He's not carrying through on his promise to make more time for you so get busy. Fill your personal schedule with random mess so you become a little more scarce when he does have time. If he's a good dude, he'll start to learn that when he says he's going to make time for you he needs to actually do it.[/QUOTE]

This is the second year of my new marriage and I will reread this to keep it in mind...my DH is a Sag and has problems following up on things at times....taking notes!

Not sure why my reply removed the original post...SMH

Last edited:
I'm glad you explained that so succinctly. It makes sense to me now. I'm guilty of getting aggravated with women who say they want help then, reject every single thing I tell them.

The other thing is that dating well and being a good gf doesnt come naturally to everyone. Just like social skills, some of us could use the pointers that'll get us ahead.

Side note: attracting the right men and maintaining a relationship seems to be a matter of a certain mindset. Using a list of "do's and don'ts" helps (ex. The book Why Men Love *****es) but your mind/philosophy needs to be right.

1) I agree with @IslandMummy 100% about not being able to change them. You can influence them to change some of their bad habits, but even that isn't foolproof.

2) I'll also say that respect is very important to men, especially if they're black. I grew up with a smart mouth and an attitude. My mom told me the sharpest weapon a woman has when it comes to men is her tongue and I took that to heart. Dh had to check me a few times in the beginning when I forgot but for the most part, I have not brought any of that into my marriage.

3) You can either be right or you can be happy. It might feel good in the moment to win the debate/argument but what did you really gain? Save the arguing for the internet or your besties.
This^...I am working on this

Dating a guy who wants to move things along is pretty new to me, and quite refreshing. After 3 months of dating, we became official. I expected the pace to slow down, but it hasn't. We are now 9 months in. He is pretty consistent and persistent. He plans all of our dates, some of them are planned months in advance. The other day he reminded me of all the things we're supposed to be doing this winter. We're also planning a vacation in the spring. I wasn't expecting him to become lukewarm, but I was expecting things to be a little less intense after I became his gf. Nope. He believes in his heart of hearts that I'm his soul mate and that god sent me to him...his words. I wasn't sure about this at first, but I am flattered and I am behind this 100% :yep: Just last night he was telling me that he wants me to see him at his best and he working towards that. He's adorable :love2:

things have been easy because he does everything a man is stereotypically supposed to do even though he has "won" me over.

I get it now. I also think once we've had certain experiences we start to expect more.
giphy.gif

Girl....

:cheers: I am so ridiculously happy for you. He sounds soooo sweet :2inlove:

Just added 3 dudes to my rotation in the past 2 weeks alone. One is all talk, no action. He texts a lot but didn’t make plans. I kept my text convos short with him. Ain’t nobody got time to text all day. He asked me last night to take me out... last night. Hell naw! We’ll see if he’s a time waster. Another dude called and asked me out properly for Friday night. That’s better. The last dude is a classmate who is professional swimmer and he offered me free swim lessons. This should be fun!

Just added 3 dudes to my rotation in the past 2 weeks alone. One is all talk, no action. He texts a lot but didn’t make plans. I kept my text convos short with him. Ain’t nobody got time to text all day. He asked me last night to take me out... last night. Hell naw! We’ll see if he’s a time waster. Another dude called and asked me out properly for Friday night. That’s better. The last dude is a classmate who is professional swimmer and he offered me free swim lessons. This should be fun!
I'm just quoting you to emphasize the texting point. Good job keeping it short. :yep:

I want someone to try this out. I keep telling y'all don't reply to texts. :lol: I promise it works. Just pretend you didn't get them. They're either forced to call or drop off. AND the ones who are serious still call you, like I promise, promise. And like a PP said, I'm sure some worry like well I don't want him to think I'm not interested. Blah, it's just not the person for you. Dudes steady texting WYD to 5 people and still single.

Taking my time reading through this thread. Started slow with the advice. So I’ve been making eye contact and smiling at people all day, with both men and women. Men have been responding sooo differently. Telling me how beautiful I am, following me to my car, telling their boys to look at me. These aren’t the kind of men I’m looking to marry, but it’s great seeing such an immediate change. Thank you ladies. As always, y’all be knowing
Yay!!!! I think sometimes just using the tools and experience is necessary to see that really you control the way people respond to you. :yep:

I'm just quoting you to emphasize the texting point. Good job keeping it short. :yep:

I want someone to try this out. I keep telling y'all don't reply to texts. :lol: I promise it works. Just pretend you didn't get them. They're either forced to call or drop off. AND the ones who are serious still call you, like I promise, promise. And like a PP said, I'm sure some worry like well I don't want him to think I'm not interested. Blah, it's just not the person for you. Dudes steady texting WYD to 5 people and still single.
I’m gonna take you up on that no replying to dude’s random texts. You’re right. The serious ones WILL call.

I needed this thread. I mostly meet his online and the bleep-ery that goes on is insane.

Basically just hook ups. No courting involved whatsoever.

How do you meet guys in real life? I go to meet ups, go to bars, brunch, etc. Nothing.

I asked my male friend what was wrong and says he feels like I'm intimating because I'm tall and I'm shy.

Yoooo this happened to me yesterday. Dude been texting me since last week with random foolishness. I stopped answering because I became busy with work.

Guess who calls yesterday? Same guy

Maybe this has already been said but I would also suggest you rethink how you think about the availability of good men. When your gf gets engaged or is being properly courted watch your thoughts. Are you like omg she is soooo lucky! I wish I could meet someone like that :blah:? Or are you like oh good for her and HE is a lucky guy? And KIM.

The minute you think a good guy is a unicorn you are putting him on a pedestal. Please do not put anyone on a pedestal or believe decent men are scarce. You still have to Vet Vet Vet but that’s because you are precious and can’t let just any ol’ body have access to you and your life. In your heart you have to believe that good, kind men exist and are not a rarity. While also accepting there are also lots of jerks too.

Back