Would you date/sleep with your friend's ex?

MissMasala5

If you had a friend who was in a relationship with a man that later ended, would he be fair game for you down the road? And if so, would you tell your friend about it, especially if it were just a one time hook up?

Thanks for the responses. On the flip side, what if a friend of yours slept with your ex after you all broke up? And told you about it? Would you be wrong for feeling salty even though the guy has been out of your life for ages and you are currently in a LTR with someone else?

For me its just an unwritten rule you don't date your friend's ex. If it was done to me and you say its been years down the line and I'm in another relationship....hmmmmm my first reaction would be salty but then i would have to check myself, those are two grown people they can do what they want, besides I'm in my own relationship why should i care.

For me I just couldnt do it.

Thanks for the responses. On the flip side, what if a friend of yours slept with your ex after you all broke up? And told you about it? Would you be wrong for feeling salty even though the guy has been out of your life for ages and you are currently in a LTR with someone else?

For me its just an unwritten rule you don't date your friend's ex. If it was done to me and you say its been years down the line and I'm in another relationship....hmmmmm my first reaction would be salty but then i would have to check myself, those are two grown people they can do what they want, besides I'm in my own relationship why should i care.

For me I just couldnt do it.

Re: the bolded, good point. You shouldn't care. But would it change your perception of the friend or the friendship?

I wonder if the 'ex's are off limits is a black thing? I havent and dont think I would but I after seeing this movie with Wesley Snipes some years back I wondered always why black girls think its wrong? I mean if he is a nice guy...things didnt work out between them and you are compatible....who knows he coulda met the wrong girl at the wrong time...hmmm...random thoughts......

I don't think I would be able to sleep at night knowing that the same things he has done to me, he has done to my best friend. I would not be able to kid myself into thinking that those special moves he uses on me in bed were not just used on my BFF just weeks or months ago.

Someone a friend dated casually (just a few dates) keeps asking me out. I have turned him down, saying that I don't feel comfortable (nor am I attracted to him). He somehow does not see anything wrong with it.

Actually, if it is someone I dated casually, I actually don't mind if someone I know dates him down the line. Ok, we went out a few times, we weren't compatible, maybe she'll be compatible with him:ohwell:

If I had had a serious relationship with that person, then no. And vice versa.

Maybe a decade down the line it will be fine.

I would not date a friends ex... its the priciple of the matter

I can't control if my friend dates my ex, but honestly, I could not be a good friend to her... again, its the priciple of the matter

If my friend was ok with it, then maybe it would be ok...

(did that even make sense?)

But for me personally no.

I was in loooooove with this Kappa hottie all senior year of college. We liked the same music, hobbies, and he was mad funny. But I knew he used to be bed buddies with one of my good friends (who was a ho. a sweet kind ho. but a ho nonetheless..) so I could never get with him. I could never get the image of my sweet super-ho friend getting down with him...so we just stayed friends.:rolleyes:

Wow your really coming with the questions to make me think. My 1st reaction to that question was no...then i paused and thought, then my answer was I'm just not sure because i haven't really been in that situation. I can say what i think I'm going to feel but i won't really know.

I would hope to think that my answer is still no, years has passed and my ex may be the one for my friend and if she is really my friend i should be happy for her right?

Re: the bolded, good point. You shouldn't care. But would it change your perception of the friend or the friendship?

Last edited:

Hell yes it would.

If she could sleep with my ex-boyfriend, then what's stopping her from sleeping with my current beau? That'd be just SOME of the things I'd think about.

Plus, it's just an unwritten rule. You don't touch other people's things (in this case, exes). I sure as hell wouldn't even feel comfortable doing that and I certainly would hope that my friends have the same amount of integrity to not do that to me.

Ex or not, its someone I once had feelings for as he did for me, that's ALWAYS going to be a touchy subject.

Here I go with the anecdotal exception: A friend of mine from college dated this guy for some months, maybe a year and he ended up being a royal jerk. The jerk had a roommate that was peeping the whole situation. Eventually, my friend and the jerk broke up. Enter the roommate. He asked her out, they began dating and have now been married for almost 10 years.

If either of them had thought the other was 'off limits' they could've missed out on their soulmates.

Here I go with the anecdotal exception: A friend of mine from college dated this guy for some months, maybe a year and he ended up being a royal jerk. The jerk had a roommate that was peeping the whole situation. Eventually, my friend and the jerk broke up. Enter the roommate. He asked her out, they began dating and have now been married for almost 10 years.

If either of them had thought the other was 'off limits' they could've missed out on their soulmates.

Were the jerk and the roommate really good friends? How long did they know each other?

I consider your example a tad bit different from the OP.

Ew...that would be like sharing your girls used panties.

No, there are other men out there for me. Ima wear someone else's used drawers.:lachen:

That is just drama waiting to be unfolded.... I cant with that... Although, some women dont wanna hear it, there are too many guys in the world for me to be eyeing a friends former beau... Thats not my MO by far....

I think it is lame and desperate

No, never.

I don't think it's a Black/White thing either. A white, female coworker's BFF (white female) ended up married to her ex husband (white male). Even years later, my coworker wants to kill the woman and nearly slapped the new wife (former BFF) in the bathroom at a funeral earlier this month.

I wonder if the 'ex's are off limits is a black thing? I havent and dont think I would but I after seeing this movie with Wesley Snipes some years back I wondered always why black girls think its wrong? I mean if he is a nice guy...things didnt work out between them and you are compatible....who knows he coulda met the wrong girl at the wrong time...hmmm...random thoughts......

NO! I COULD NOT DO THAT. For the simple fact that she is my friend and that is her ex-boyfriend. Their should be a line drawn between certain situation and this is one. No, exchanging friends leftovers.

Last edited:

I totally agree with the bolded......................................as long as its not MY ex.:ohwell:

That's just 'stank'. I would NEVER do it. Even if I was broken up with the guy and probably married, I don't think it would be in good taste for my 'friend' to date my ex. If it was just an acquaintance/associate, then that's okay. However, if it was a 'true friend', I would have a problem with it.

Back