Why is healthy and long hair important to you?

How important is your hair/hair journey?

• It's just hair, and a hobby of mine.

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • I enjoy looking and feeling good, and therefore I strive to keep my hair game tight.

Votes: 142 67.3%
  • My hair journey is a spiritual journey for me, and much deeper than the superficial.

Votes: 38 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pink219

For the ladies that want long & healthy hair (MBL and beyond) why is it important to you?

In the whole scheme of things, is this REALLY important to you personally?

Is hair important to who you are, or who you want to become?

For you, is attaining long hair something more, something deeper (for some it is), is it spiritual, is it self-esteem related, etc.?

Why all the fuss over hair (I have my reasons, but I'm interested in other opinions/perspectives)?

Some people might think this is a silly thread, but I know that some people are hardcore about the love of their hair.

Last edited:
I want long healthy hair because after years of wearing everybody else's hair, I want to wear my own. I also think long hair is sessy!

Last edited:
I guess because I have had longish hair all of my life and seeing it get longer and longer is like the coolest thing ever. I'm doing it to see if I can really be consistent with something and have positive results. Also I want to prove to my niece that her hair can grow past ear length if she takes care of it and nurtures it.

Waistlength is my goal and the girls on here have inspired me to attain this goal.

We shall see...

I find it a fun way to challenge myself.

I've never had short hair my hair was always just past APL that was my "normal" being at MBl is new and really fun for me because I love the way it looks on me I love the way it cascades down the front of my body and my back I love the way it effortlessly swings when I walk. Its all great. I'm having a great time and I love giving tips to ladies that ask me how I did it here and irl.

My ultimate goal is waistlength because then my shrunken twists will have finally reached APL. I have this goal because I think long hair really suits me and I love inspiring others who never knew type 4 hair had this much potential for length and versatility in styling.

I would also say way back when I was making my mental transition during my hair's transition I really evolved and learned to love myself and no longer resent it for its natural tendencies like I did growing up. It was an experience of maturing evolving and spiritually coming into my own. My hair journey to get where I am has aesthetic aspects and profound aspects as well. Now its all just chilling allowing my hair to thrive and having fun with all the various ways I can rock it and reinvent myself.

Last edited:
For the ladies that want long & healthy hair (MBL and beyond) why is important to you?

In the whole scheme of things, is this REALLY important to you personally?

Is hair important to who you are, or who you want to become?

For you, is attaining long hair something more, something deeper (for some it is), is it spiritual, is it self-esteem related, etc.?

Why all the fuss over hair (I have my reasons, but I'm interested in other opinions/perspectives)?

Some people might think this is a silly thread, but I know that some people are hardcore about the love of their hair.

I'll bite:look:

For me it's about several things.

1. I have a responsibility to care for my body (in my case a temple of the Holy Spirit) in a judicious way. Attention to my hair is an expression of this responsiblity.
2. Unfortunately, most people form opinions about you based on what they see. Grooming plays a large part in 1st impressions. Well kept hair is especially important as a woman. For me, as a woman in corporate America, the way I present myself aesthically sometimes partially determines my success in professional settings.
3. Sadly, my own vanity is a motivation for wanting long, healthy hair. :sad:
That's all I've got...:rolleyes:

well you the saying people want what they don't have... well that's the deal with me and long hair. and i think long hair is sexy as hell!:yep:

I want healthy hair. Thats most important. I was tired of having chewed up see through ends. I dont see anything wrong with wanting healthy hair. Its the same as wanting your skin and your body to look right. Nothing wrong with wanting to look your best.

I do want longer hair. My goal is APL. I can't see myself with anything longer than that. To some people on here APL is short but I dont want super long hair. My hair was always short. The longest it ever was was SL. I do think a longer length would look better on me.

Attaining long hair was something deep for me. All my life I was teased about having short 4b hair and it did have an effect on me. As a result, I take this hair thing too seriously sometimes. Now I'm just telling myself, it's just hair. There are more important things to focus on:yep:

For me, it's a personal preference in the same way that my clothes, car and makeup are my personal preferences. Seriously, I'm fully Diva no matter what the length or condition of my hair. It doesn't make or break me either way. But, I enjoy being able to pursue and achieve whatever goals I choose for myself and having the right to make those choices. There are some things outside of our control. Hair is an easy one. JMO.

I want longer hair because I haven't had it in my adult life. Like BMP said, I like the way it feels on my back. I gotta get over feeling self conscious about doing the hair flip. Been getting looks from other females.:grin:

Also, I want it cuz I've been told all my adult life that I can't have it. I've never done well with being told I can't acheive a goal I set for myself.

It was a personal challenge for me at first as I NEVER had long hair before (below SL). Now, it’s more like the way I see myself, I learnt to enjoy healthy hair, I love the way it looks on anyone, black, white, short or long, doesn’t matter the length or texture. I don’t think I’ll ever settle for anything less that.....:nono:

Healthy and consequently long hair is important to me because its my crown and glory. Hair is a major part of one's physical appearance and if its wrong, then everything else is thrown off. I would rather have healthy, long hair than wear a weave or braids or a wig or any other foreign object in my head. It's deeper than looks for me. I've been through a lot with my hair these past 5 years or so and it would mean the world to me to get my hair back where it was before it broke off from my first weave because my hair has not been the same since. Hair is important and it greatly impacts self esteem, confidence, and all those kind of things. So I know for a fact that once my hair, MY HAIR, is back on point, I will feel more confident in the way I look and feel.

For me, my hair has changed my outlook on life. It changed the way I dress and my overall approach to taking care of myself.

I have to admit, I'm not trying to grow my hair only for the "right" reasons (or probably not right to others:look:).

Part of me just wants to prove my family wrong, since they were the main perpetrators of all of the hair horrors I went through growing up. They are the ones who told me my hair was bad, gave me horrible chemical treatments, and made fun of me when things didn't work out, and I ended up to' up from the flo' up. So it feels good to have more hair than most of them, I'll admit.

I know I must sound so bitter, it's usually not that deep on a day-to-day basis. My hair journey has been fun, and I love my natural hair. It's just kind of fun to show off at family reunions, while my family members try to figure out when I acquired Dat Gud Hurr!:rolleyes:

Well, I have always had long hair. But I have never been longer than MBL and I severely damaged my hair with heat. I want to see how long my hair will grow with proper care. I have never been waistlength and would love to be that long. I also think long hair is beautiful and my husband always supports me but was so happy when I told him I was growing my hair out. When I had our second son, I cut my hair from about BSL to chin length with layers in the back. I have to resist the urge to cut, because I still think bobs are super cute and versatile.

I feel I will look more attractive. I have round face, and short hair makes my head look big. I have my daddy's head and he liked to say I got his big head when my hair is short. :rolleyes: smdh.

Having healthy hair is important to me, because like healthy skin, nails, eyes, etc; I feel it's a reflection of what's going on inside.

Healthy hair looks good, feels good, and you can do more with it.

Long hair is important, but not as much as healthy hair. I've always had long hair, but never as a natural (not counting childhood, I mean) and I want to have long hair, but shiny, healthy curls is more special to me.

Because I'm tired of people assuming that Black women can't grow long, healthy hair. I'm tired of these weaves/wigs/whatevas and want to have my own hair laying down my back.

I want to be one of many of the women on this board and elsewhere who have a gorgeous head of hair and know that I'm responsible for making that happen.

There are 2 answers:

1) Well, I was teased quite a bit about my hair during my early years of high school so ever since then I have been borderline obsessed with healthy, pretty hair.

2) I have seen my hair when it is broken off and extremely damaged. It isn't cute and you definitely don't feel good when your hair isn't looking good. Plus I would like to see my hair past SL.

I want to grow my hair healthy and long and stay natural because I want to break that mentality of our natural hair is a burden and not a blessing. Our hair is beautiful but so many of us experience our hair only in a negative manner and not in a positive. Every women on this board that grows their hair long and healthy and breaking societal stereotypes and stigmas about our hair that no other race really experiences.

Because I like to stand out and long hair on a black woman stands out. (Sorry if that's shallow.)

I look better in my own personal opinion with long hair, and I get a lot more compliments with long hair.

It's fun to have a lot of styles to try with long hair.

I want to see if it's possible to grow my hair to MBL.

Overall, it's fun and it's something I enjoy. I put the effort in and I get results...there's a satisfaction that comes with that.

Personal challenge. Boredom. Knowing that I am capable. I've never had long hair before, so this is new & exciting for me. :grin:

I actually don't care about the length of mi hair. But more so the health. If it happens to grow during the process I'm not gonna stop it lol :) But for me it's a journey, a spiritual thing.

I enjoy looking and feeling good, I like my hair long, striaght, and curly. I've had short hair for a few years, now its time for me to have long hair.

I've never had long hair, but I've always wanted it. I feel like finding this site is a chance of a lifetime to work towards and acheive what I've always dreamed of.

Longer hair gives me more options, more styles etc, and I want to be a part of that exclusive club...

I have had long hair all my life. It's mostly been kept at BSL and I've been waist length twice in my life. Having long hair use to not be a big deal to me it was just a personal choice, but now after seeing so many shows and reading so many negative things about black people not being able to grow healthy long hair, I have made it my personal mission to prove those stereotypes wrong.:yep:

I've always dreamed of having long hair but never had it, now that I have the opportunity (thanks to LHCF) to grow long hair, I'm seizing it. Also, it's a spiritural journey and I hope that the patience that I have developed in caring for my hair will be transferred to other areas of my personal life (e.g. losing weight, achieving my goals in life,...).

Back