How important is it to have good smelling hair?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I never realized until this weekend how important it is to have good smelling hair. For the first time ever, my husband told me my hair smells good and he kept sniffing it. I asked him if it was important for me to have good smelling hair and he says "yes" it's very important. We have been married for almost 10 years and he never stressed this before. I asked him why and he says "you always have that taken care of"!

Ladies, how important is it to you to have good smelling hair ?

What products do you use to keep your hair scent turning heads?

Last edited:
When I was a high school freshman there was this senior on my bus who always told me that my hair smelled good. I think at the time that I was using Suave Strawberry shampoo and conditioner.

I would like my hair to smell like chocolate or cinniman, but I can't find any hair perfumes or anything at the store. Does anyone know what I should use?

I love for my hair to smell good. I remember when I used herbal essences for a conditioner and monoi oil as my daily oil. I went over this girl's house and when she took my hair down she was amazed at how good it smells.
I have a terrible memory. One time I was doing a female's hair and when she took it out of her ponytail it smelled soo bad and she had flakes in it. It was really really nasty.
And then I'm a person that likes to sniff my freshly washed hair. I know....it's crazy.

Very Important. That's why I love daily conditioner washing so much. My hair smells like coconut...and Suave Milk & Honey. Both scents are yummy.
smile.gif
I also use Ego Boost...and that kinda smells like hard cherry candy to me.

Blue Flower, maybe you could try adding some cinnamon to your conditioner. I add it to my milk and honey and it enhances the smell of it.

As a female, I think I'm supposed to smell goo period. I like scents that fruity...I cannot stand for my hair to stink. It HAS to smell nice. I use essential oils like sweet orange and lemon...I also like honey and coconut and combos of various scents.

It's very important to me also. I just ordered some frangrance oils to add to my butters and carrier oils. I can't wait for my hair to smell like a fresh cut red rose or a juicy mango...

I love fresh smelling hair..my boyfriend comment once when I used some pomade in my hair that I smelled like a "black" girl...and he liked the scent..I was so tickled but I LOVE Natural Oasis Oil..it smells so nice!

[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:

I have a terrible memory. One time I was doing a female's hair and when she took it out of her ponytail it smelled soo bad and she had flakes in it. It was really really nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

See now this is why I didn't need boards to tell me to wash my hair more often. I CANNOT stand dirty hair. Ugh !
nono.gif
On the other hand, I love Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal conditioner for condition washes and boyfriend told me it stinks. But I am gonna keep on using it.
cool.gif

I don't know how people can go w/o washing for more than a week. After a week you can rub your fingerstips on your scalp and that mix of the natural oils on your scalp and days and days worth of hair products mixed together is gross. And it's even worse when people use heat on dirty hair and that burned smell gets scorched into the hair. The smell from a combination of all these things is enough to make you vomit.

I am taking notes hear. I am reading some good ideas. The scented oils idea sounds good. I already use Monoi jasmine oil but I don't care for the smell too much. I would like to smell more like a sweet flower of have more of a fruity smell for my hair.

Is there such a thing as hair perfume?

Re: How important is it to have good smelling hair

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
I am taking notes hear. I am reading some good ideas. The scented oils idea sounds good. I already use Monoi jasmine oil but I don't care for the smell too much. I would like to smell more like a sweet flower of have more of a fruity smell for my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a hair perfume, persay, but I have heard of a product by Salon Selectives that claimed to make that smokey club hair smell go away.

My roommate always has the best smelling hair. Now that I've switched products and wash my hair (shampoo &/or co washes) 3 or more times a week my hair now smells wonderful too. I absolutely love Suave's Milk and Honey and Profectiv's Long n healthy since they both smell like honey.

One of the best things about frequent hair washing is nice-smelling hair!!
smile.gif
There's nothing like it!!
grin.gif
Whenever my hair is freshly washed, my BF loooves to snuggle up and smell my hair all the time!!
up.gif

I like my hair to smell good, too, and I add fragrance to my oil blends to enhance the scent
smile.gif

I agree! Hair that smells good is just as important as a body that smells good! It's a sense of cleanliness.

I love all the Pantene products! Don't they smell great? I really wish they could possibly come up with a body wash with the same scent.

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a hair perfume, persay, but I have heard of a product by Salon Selectives that claimed to make that smokey club hair smell go away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this and it does work but it has tons of alcohol in it. It is called Air it Out.

DSD, I can't believe you've been married for 10 years! You don't seem a day over 21! You look great!

Wow, I actually never knew how important it was, until very recently. I passed by someone and I was thinking to myself how wonderful her hair smelled. I actually grew up with the salon--I would wash my hair maybe twice a week or wait til I had my hair did at the salon. So my hair would never smell good... more like Pink Oil Moisturizer all the time. I always thought that great smelling hair was a 'white girl thing'. But those days are long gone. Now that I'm grown and have been caring for my hair, through LHCF I've learned to wash atleast once a week. Recently, I can't do without washing atleast twice a week. But due to CD products I barely smell my conditioner at all.

scratchchin.gif
One day, I'll wash with a really good smelling conditioner and very few styling products on top of it, and see if my b/f says anything
wink.gif
Thanks for these ideas ladies!

very important. good clean fresh smelling hair is sexy. for a male(i think). so he can run his fingers through your hair without having to wipe off his fingers afterwards

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:
very important. good clean fresh smelling hair is sexy. for a male(i think). so he can run his fingers through your hair without having to wipe off his fingers afterwards

[/ QUOTE ]

... or hug him without greasin' up his cheek
lachen70.gif

Guilty as charged
grin.gif

I actually gte a thrill ot of my hair smelling good. I will not use a product if it doesnt leave its smell behind, LOL, crazy isnt it

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this and it does work but it has tons of alcohol in it. It is called Air it Out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's it! Thanks CBJ.
smile.gif

Hair that smells good is very important, especially if you work out. My hair is braided now, but I wash it every weekend. During the week I use, Seabreeze on my scalp, and I also use Air It Out on the braids. If I'm in the mood, I'll use different scented oils on my braids. I always get compliments that my hair smells good.
smile.gif
I know this girl who NEVER washes her braids because she thinks her hair will grow long that way. I can't even describe the smell, it's like a cross between old, funky hair grease and an attic. That's not cute, just like you wash yo tail, you have to wash yo head!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetyb said:
I always thought that great smelling hair was a 'white girl thing'. But those days are long gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think that way too.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
moonpower said:
I can't even describe the smell, it's like a cross between old, funky hair grease and an attic.

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif

It is very important to me to have clean, fresh-smelling hair.

The only thing is, I have no SO to appreciate it. Oh, well. LOL!

I use: Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Formula Shampoo, Kenra Deep Penetrating Moisturizing Conditioner, Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, Motions Oil Sheen Spray, Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural Wrap and Set Lotion, and Keracare High Sheen Glossifier.

northernbelle

I mix pepperming oil in my hair oil. It drives my hubby crazy. He thinks that it is soo intoxicating. He absolutely loves peppermint candy, we can never keep any in the house b/c he eats it all.

My husband told me that one time he dated this girl and he took one sniff of her hair. He said he almost choked because it smelled so bad that he never called her again
smile.gif

Back