Why is healthy and long hair important to you?

How important is your hair/hair journey?

• It's just hair, and a hobby of mine.

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • I enjoy looking and feeling good, and therefore I strive to keep my hair game tight.

Votes: 142 67.3%
  • My hair journey is a spiritual journey for me, and much deeper than the superficial.

Votes: 38 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it has helped me know that if I'm consistently working at anything I eventually get the results that I want.

Plus I like the fact that I can rock extensions for a new look/vibe/style as opposed to neccessity.:yep:

It's not that serious to me. I simply want longer hair because when I was younger I was under the impression that only biracial girls could have long hair. I was also under the impression that my pass SL hair was long hair because most girls I was around did not have that.

I will say that my second transition is more special to me because I'm making the mental transition I thought I did the first time.

For me I could never get to Apl period I could grow my hair past my shoulders but never Apl. My hair has always been healthy except when I did a dye job in my senior yeah of high school, my hair broke off like nobodys business. I think healthy hair is most important, then how long it is next. I know a lot of AA women with long hair, but it is not healthy. My hair is healthy and long.

Because I've never had long hair in my adult life and it's time for a change. I've sported a EL -SL bob for 11 years (I cut my then BSL hair in '98). My front and sides NEVER got beyond SL in my entire life. My bangs have never been longer than my eyes and now they're at my chin. Quite an accomplishment for me.

I also just want to feel beautiful. I find the older I get the more fem I get. Long hair is very feminine and that's why I've gotta have it. :-)

eta: health is definitely #1 then length is #2. I'd be happy with very thick blunt APL hair.

Last edited:
It's important to me because I've never had hair past SL in my life. I was somehow taught to believe that only those with "good" hair could have long hair. My hair was always referred to as bad and nappy so I just want to prove to myself and others that it can be done.

I want to prove the naysayers wrong-
Long hair looks better on me-
I want other women around me who want long hair to have some proof and inspiration that they can have healthy, long hair if they wanted it.
I also enjoy finding new information that can be beneficial to my hair health.
when I first started my journey, my husband would get mad that I was washing my hair twice a week, now let me get to day 5/6 and he tells me you need to wash your hair, stick to your regimen. His mom has long MBL, 3c hair, he never thought my could grow that long but i plan to show him this year- im trying to get all six of my inches in 2010!

Healthy body, healthy hair. It's a symbol of health and femininity. Always has been, always will be. If your hair is healthy and on point, your whole swag is on point.

Nobody looks good with ate up hair.

long hair suits me--then again ive seen my head shaved as low as a cesear and grow out and saw how i would look at diff lengths--i was pleased--i dont want hair that is beyond mbl--i have a oval face so if my hair is too long wouldnt work--i just like healthy hair--long or short--healthy hair is a great look-- long enough when i can do any styles i choose
im not tryna prove anything to anyone or etc---at this point as long as my hair is healthy im good

from the time i could remember the weave comments i realized whether its mine or a weave its my bidness..as long as it looks fly!!! when i see a woman staring a hole into my scalp im like lol

Healthy hair is important to me first and then length. I always had long hair growing up but I am lazy for one, so its more versatile the longer it is. I can throw it in a ponytail or bun and keep it moving. I love, love, love short cuts- but I'm too lazy for a short cut so I prefer longer hair on me.
Also, I will admit, it does feel good for people to see ladies with BSL and longer hair and comment because they haven't seen many women with long hair thats real. It does act as an inspiration.
Lastly, hair is a hobby to me. I do youtube vids and my hair will look nice and every other day I look a hot mess honestly. It's a hobby to me to play in my hair for video or to talk about on forums.
Also, which is something that I don't necessarily like, when my hair is big and curly and shrunken I get alot of attention because it stands out...but when people see my hair straight- they treat me so different and better. Its the same head of hair! I don't understand that but people respond to the appearance of length with my hair straight vs curly and shrunken.

Because I never knew that I could get it, and I consider it a personal challenge. I also feel it would make me look sexier and OLDER (yup, looking young is not always a good thing :rolleyes:)

I first began my transition because I was tired of the relaxer, fried hair, and started experimenting with weaves. Every time I re-installed I noticed that my hair was thicker, stronger, and much longer than the last time I saw it. This really excited me and prompted me to begin researching and learning about maintaining long healthy hair. My hair became an obsession after that and really intrigued the people around me. Now more than ever I am motivated to reach my goal of MBL hair because of comments made by my family (why you want to walk around with nappy hair....you can't do anything with that) and the most hurtful one from my granny of all people " Cec,you know a black woman's hair only grows so long. You just can't help that". I was really hurt by those comments and made it a personal goal to grow my hair out as long as I possibly can while keeping it healthy and strong! Strong and Healthy MBL hair here I come!!!!!! Happy Growing ladies!

Healthy hair is important to me because I believe it is a reflection of who I am..A healthy person! Aaaandd... I want to get my apl length from my childhood back!

Because I never knew that I could get it, and I consider it a personal challenge. I also feel it would make me look sexier and OLDER (yup, looking young is not always a good thing :rolleyes:)

ITA! I can't even count how many times someone doesn't "believe" i'm in college. Some fools even try me and say I look like i'm 15 or 16 :look:

my hair journey came with a lot of emotional baggage. it has nothing to do with length as i always had length (though from 13-23 it was ate up length lol). having healthy hair that is natural had more to do with loving me and shedding all the negatives said as i grew up with this hair. with healthy hair, the length will come

I want to see what I can achieve with hard work and God's grace! ;)
And I want people all around to realise that black women can have thick, long hair! :woot:

My goal is to have healthy and long hair. I had healthy and bsl hair as a child until I got a bad perm. As an adult I want to be able to say that I can grow my hair long. Also I know I look good with long hair and I want it without the aid of fake hair.

1) I'm sick of people thinking black people hair can't grow long. (Oh and I was one of those people)

2) Healthy Long hair just looks good on me, and I would prefer it to be my own.

My journey started because I was trying to repair/ fix. I was suffering from broken, damaged, dry hair and was NOT happy about it. My hair has never been long but its always been healthy and looked nice even when I didn't really do much to it. However, when I began my journey I had been lazy and was using the wrong products. Then I did research, and stumbled across LHCF and realized not only could I attain maximum health, but I could work towards the long "dream hair" that I've always wanted...I became hooked immediately!

My goal is APL. I've never been there, I'd like to see what that's like. I am enjoying the journey because on the way to APL I'm experiencing the common side effects like thicker, shinier hair with swang and bounce! I feel like thick, healthy hair is pretty at any length so even if I just get between full SL and APL but its thick, healthy, swinging, and shiny I'll be happy!

I just wanted healthy hair, which pretty much signifies good overall health which is needed especially in order to maintain it. The length is a bonus.

I always had decent length hair....betweenSL and APL with minimal effort because I was always in braids

Although it was long... it was never healthy thick and even and I had no clue how to care for it.

Now I want to achieve the same length and longer but I want to be able to self style and have thick full even hair :)

It is important to be an example to other black women/girls that we can have and maintain thick, healthy long hair. :yep:

Last edited:
I use to have thick healthy hair when I was a little girl.

Through my school years I have always had a love hate relationship with my hair.

Wanted to understand a part of my body that was always, mystical and elusive to me.

Just want to be a poster child for thick, lucious, long healthy natural hair. Each one teach one right?

Healthy hair is my first priority and the length is second. I've always been into hair since I was a little girl. It's branded into a little girl's mind that long flowing hair is pretty and girly. Since then it became a part of of who I am and first impressions which I think are really important.

Through the years the more I learned about my hair I began to realize that society has been wrong about Afro textured hair and it began to upset me. I noticed not many products worked for me and wondered why? With all of our technology why couldn't I find a good moisturizer? And why was it that my hair always broke off at a certain length. In looking for those answers I realized everything I had been taught about my hair was either a lie or mis-information. Then it made me want to break out of the mold. So now i'm doing it because I know how to care for my hair and have person goals. And to let others know we have gorgeous hair. Esp little girls that watch T.V, play with dolls and read magazines. To some it has lowered their self esteem and I feel that needs to be corrected.

healthy is just better overall, it was always important to me

as far as long...well it kinda became a wintertime hobby for me. During the spring and summertime I love to garden and I kinda look at my hair the same way i look at plants (i'm a bit of a plant junkie.) It's relaxing to take care of- to just put in time and effort and watch it grow. It's rewarding and there's kinda a miraculous element to see growth and progress with energy, time and patience- and it just makes me appreciate life and God that much more (well i'm more in awe with plants growing, but its the same idea on a smaller scale with my hair) Anyway, I truly appreciate and enjoy taking care of my hair

Plus i've had short hair for many years now. I'm over short hair

It's just a personal preference. I like how long hair looks on me. There's no deep reason over this way.

As far as healthy hair, well, I like my body to be healthy overall, so of course I want my hair to be healthy as well.

I have to admit, I'm not trying to grow my hair only for the "right" reasons (or probably not right to others:look:).

Part of me just wants to prove my family wrong, since they were the main perpetrators of all of the hair horrors I went through growing up. They are the ones who told me my hair was bad, gave me horrible chemical treatments, and made fun of me when things didn't work out, and I ended up to' up from the flo' up. So it feels good to have more hair than most of them, I'll admit.

I know I must sound so bitter, it's usually not that deep on a day-to-day basis. My hair journey has been fun, and I love my natural hair. It's just kind of fun to show off at family reunions, while my family members try to figure out when I acquired Dat Gud Hurr!:rolleyes:

You don't sound bitter! Part of the reason I want long hair is to prove to all the people that didn't think it was possible, that I can have that (especially natural 4b hair). My hair journey is also deeper than that as well and is becoming a spiritual journey too.

I just think it looks good on me. I don't have any deep reasons and I don't care about proving anything to anyone.

I've always loved my hair, I just never considered the fact that it could be waist length until last year.

I want long healthy hair because I have always loved long hair (healthy). I've always been into hair, I feel its one of my better features. I never thought it was possible for me to have it longer and healthier, and now I know I can, I'm gonna go for it.
Its also very feminine to me.

Last edited:
When I started it was a personal goal for me, cause I always had short hair, and when I finally did get it to a reasonable lenght I had to cut it due to heat damage. So once it got to my neck and it never went past there, I made it a personal mission to grow it long. Health is something that comes with it, what good is long hair if it isn't healthy and flawless. Ive always loved long hair, i've always loved the way it looks on me So hey, I gotta have it!!

Back