What/Where Would You Be Without LHCF?

I wouldn't know about 99& of the products I use now.

I wouldn't CW every day.

I would probably still be trimming.

1) i'd still be going to the salon every 6 weeks or so to wait my turn for about 3 hrs only to leave with overprocessed hair (it always looked fly to me but i never retained length)

2) i'd still be using a curling iron every single day, sometimes twice a day to look "presentable"

3) i'd still believe that stick straight hair was the only way to go

4) i'd still be stuck at shoulder length

5)i'd still have the mindset that i could never ever ever have hair longer than shoulder length

My hair was healthy before I joined LHCF, but here are some things that I would NOT be doing:

1. Co-washing everyday
2. Using conditioner as a leave in. This has made a HUGE difference in my hair.
3. Using only natural products(Pure unrefined coconut oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil) in my hair. I always used them for my skin but never thought to use it for my hair.
4. Holding off on trims at every touch up.

Which nation? :)

Apachee, Comanchee, possible Cherokee on my other's side but they've no proof. There's some on my father's for Cherokee...mainly Apache and Comanchee. They're REAL cowboys on his side, who settled in the west to escape Jim Crow....

Now back to topic. :look:

Before this wonderful site, I didn't know about:
  • co-washing (never heard of it)
  • not rinsing out all of the conditioner (never thought to do this)
Now, I knew about the following, but never thought they would be part of my life:
  • cheapie conditioners (thought stuff like V05 and Sunsilk was for white people only ... ridiculous, I know)
  • going natural (never even considered it because I didn't know how to take care of it)
  • protective styling (sure I knew about the concept, but I used to wear my hair down like it was my friggin' job!)
Four years as member here, and I'm STILL amazed by the things that I learn from this site. It's beyond awesome!! I wish it could win some kind of award.

LGL, what difference did you see? I usually get my touch-ups every 6 weeks, but I am trying for 8 this time. I know it's better for the hair; but exactly what "difference" did you see? I am trying to stick to my promise to myself to wait; but my hair is saying something else (only cause my hair is soo dry from protein).

TIA

Less overlapping, my scalp somehow responded better -less burning. I think the 8 weeks fit in with some type of cycle my body/scalp had with my shedding phases and what not. It's hard to explain.

The main benefit though was less overlapping, my hair was stronger (due to less overlapping) and it made me more gentle with my hair dealing with more NG. Not enough to make life difficult, but enough to make me take notice.

Every little bit helps, I suppose.

I DID stretch to twelve weeks. ONCE. And yes, the lack of overlap was awesome, but it was a pain. :wallbash:

I was learning my hair and was able to grow it to a good length using protective styles. But I was never able to keep the length. I was using crappy products that were not doing anything for my hair and probaby making it worse. Without LHCF I would never have made it past SL.:blush:

I'd probably still be putting tons of grease in my hair and laying it down with the brown gel!!! Plus my hair would be super dry and overprocessed!!

Less overlapping, my scalp somehow responded better -less burning. I think the 8 weeks fit in with some type of cycle my body/scalp had with my shedding phases and what not. It's hard to explain.

The main benefit though was less overlapping, my hair was stronger (due to less overlapping) and it made me more gentle with my hair dealing with more NG. Not enough to make life difficult, but enough to make me take notice.

Every little bit helps, I suppose.

I DID stretch to twelve weeks. ONCE. And yes, the lack of overlap was awesome, but it was a pain. :wallbash:

Wow, very informative.

That's the motivation I need to get me to 8 weeks. And I need my hair to be stronger. That may explain why my hair was still breaking after my protein/moisture balance was perfect, and I had chelated too.

Thanks a lot LGL.

1. Still listening to whatever my hair stylist suggested :rolleyes:
  2. Relax every 4-6 weeks
  3. Using the flat-iron/curling iron every damn day (w/ no heat protection, sometimes no moisture) :blush::nono:
  4. Would have no clue to what my hair type is :sad:
  5. I know my hair will be breaking off shorter & shorter :(
  6. Using "black" products only
  7. Wouldn't appreciate natural hair at all :sad:
  8. Would be a greasy, stiff mess

Last edited:
  • still experimenting with my hair (cutting, coloring, whatever) whenever i got the urge or went through some event, good OR bad.
  • not knowing that i could get my hair to grow past SL.
  • still greasing my scalp with cheap hair grease.
  • not knowing the truth about SLS, shampoos in general, petrolatum/mineral oil, or that you DON'T have to trim for growth.
  • in the dark about how to care for sew-ins, which is why i went from SL to ear length with my last one instead of SL to APL.
  • clueless to what SL, APL, etc stands for!!!
  • i have discovered protective styles, baggying, DCing, cowashing, and a plethora of other things that are very easy to do and have such great effects on my growth and retention.

Ditto. Even the hair book that I bought didn't provide all this info.

1. Wearing weaves 24/7/365 as promised to myself... I said my hair would never see the light of day again. I was at one point fed up with it and didn't believe black women could have long hair that grew from their scalps unless they had "good hair."
  2. Self-relaxing and running the thing from root to tip each "touch-up"
  3. Frying my delicate hair daily with curling irons and flat irons.
  4. Using the above instruments with hair spritzes and hair sprays
  5. Using Let's Jam and/or Brown Gel to slick back my hair, and comb or brush it out later on, and do the same thing again the next day.
  6. Relaxing @ every 4-6 weeks (refer back to #2).
  7. Never deep conditioning whether on my own or at the salon.
  8. Believing that while at the salon my stylist was trying to get me to spend more money by telling me to DC.
  9. Frying the hair I left out while in weaves, and realizing that it's breaking off and not understanding why even though I use heat protectant... UM THE FLAT IRON IS TOO HOT DUMMY AND YOU DON'T USE IT EVERYDAY!:look:
  10. Not being totally IN LOVE with my hair as I am now.
I LOVE THIS SITE! And I really appreciate all of you here. You all inspire me from TWA to WSL, relaxed to texlaxed to natural, you all are such inspirations!!

I used to use heat too; not even knowing about heat protectants. I even used to press my entire head when I didn't want to perm; cause I was tired of my hair falling out. But I wasn't using protection for that either!! My goodness, what we have to learn the hard way. :sad:

Now that I know more about hair and how to care for it; I love it more too.

BTW, Foxie, you and your hair is an inspiration. Your hair looks gorgeous in your siggy. You've made some great progress.

I would not be natural.
I would still be relaxing, which itself is not bad, but I would probably we flat ironing more than once a week

Before this wonderful site, I didn't know about:
  • co-washing (never heard of it)
  • not rinsing out all of the conditioner (never thought to do this)
Now, I knew about the following, but never thought they would be part of my life:
  • cheapie conditioners (thought stuff like V05 and Sunsilk was for white people only ... ridiculous, I know)
  • going natural (never even considered it because I didn't know how to take care of it)
  • protective styling (sure I knew about the concept, but I used to wear my hair down like it was my friggin' job!)
Four years as member here, and I'm STILL amazed by the things that I learn from this site. It's beyond awesome!! I wish it could win some kind of award.

I know right; and some people should win awards too for their dedication in helping others.

Ever so often, I think about the women I've encountered in my life with beautiful hair, who didn't want to share a single tip. But on here, many woman are willing to share ALL their knowledge and want to genuinely help. I appreciate them so much for that; and this site for allowing us to help each other.

1) i would still be apl (been that way for 7 years:perplexed)
2) my hair would continue to get thinner and thinner.
3) i would have never found my staples (keracare,paul mitchell and redken)
4)i would have never known that dominicans can do hair:lachen:
5)would have never known about co washing
6) would have never found dominican products
7) would have never known the real definition of deep conditioning (i use to sit with a cheapie suave on my hair for 15 minutes w/o heat)

I would still have dry, shedding hair.
I would be still in between shoulder and apl.
My hair would not be as wavy and soft as it is now.

I would most likely still be relaxing, lol! I don't think I would have stretched, transitioned, and then BC'ed without the support and help from people at LHCF. And now that I am natural, I am learning how to care for my new texture :grin: Thank you!!!

I would most likely still be relaxing, lol! I don't think I would have stretched, transitioned, and then BC'ed without the support and help from people at LHCF. And now that I am natural, I am learning how to care for my new texture :grin: Thank you!!!

I am grateful for this site too.

I feel better about myself; cause a woman always feel better about herself when her hair is beautiful. It brings out the beauty of a woman. I am not the same when my hair is not doing "well". :yep:

1.Knowing that I wanted longer hair, but not knowing where to start
2.Not moisturizing enough
3.Still getting relaxers
4.Pulling my hair out and not caring, because I know I could go back to short hair
5.Treating my daughters hair any kind of way
6.No knowledge about haircare!

Back