What is your greatest Hair Fear???

I don't think I will ever do a weave, I fear that when taking it out the person will snip my real hair and I will lose my length. It is to hard won for me to let that happen. Therefore I will keep on bunning my own hair and rarely wear out my own hair. One day I can but I need to be patient.

Last edited:
That my hair won't grow past shoulder length when straight. Or that my curls will look too kinky instead of curly. That going natural would have been for nothing.

That I will never have healthy shoulder or arm-pit length hair and will have worked hard for 2-3 years with no progress to show for it.

Excessive post natel shedding when I have children, I don't know why i fear this, dont you just shed all the hair you didn't shed during pregancy?
To help i'm compliling a list of things that help with shedding including garlic suppliments, garlic oil, coffee rinses and amla oil...hopefull not all at once lol

Apart from that I fear my satin scarf coming undone during the night leaving my hair exposed to harsh cotton and my rough sleeping lol and waking u with dry and splitting hair like it used to be lol

That I will become lazy and inconsistent with my regimen only to see all my progress break off.

I visit the boards and read threads once a day to stay motivated.

my greatest hair fear is that someone will chop it off. I thwart this by keeping my hair in front of me when I wear it out. I don't know how to prevent this when it's in a bun or a braid though :(

oh that after i transition that i won't like my natural hair :/

had my greatest fear come to life...

permed an colored my hair too soon...my entire head fullof bsl hair came out in the shampoo sink at the salon...i cried out as if someone was killing me..every lady in the salon rushed over and --it was a a huge GASPPPPPPPPP--omg..i cried for about 2 months---didnt leave the house---bought a $1100k lace wig since this is when they first came out--wore the LF for a week and then woke up like **** this--i gotta get over this--its just hair--wen to the barber cut off allllllll of the pieecs of hair that was still on my head--rocked a twa for a month---then my hair divas and i got creative in regard to making sure i still looked good despite my hair trauma....remember that incident like it was yesterday--till this day i am sorta scared to put a relaxer in my hair--even though im texlaxed---when u see all of your thick long hair in a sink coming out---its a life changing exp---lolol but it was my own fault for doing too much...

anyhoo u live and u learn lmaooo
:eek2: Girl! :thud:

I was gonna say my biggest fear is protein overload. I had a mild protein overload that caused my hair to rip when I tried to comb thru it in the shower. So, my fear is massive protein overload causing major breakage and not being able to get it under control. But uh.... Perfect28's response is sheer terror! :eek2:

To avoid protein overload, I'm using it sparingly and keeping my moisture up while checking my protein/moisture balance with shed hairs regularly.

For me, my greatest fear is that having just joined this site (Jan 2010) at NL, you will still see me on this site ( Jan 2013) still at NL.

So what is your greatest hair fear and how are you going to ensure it doesnt happen?

THIS is my fear! I joined this site at sl (with strands at apl) and I dont want to still be at this same lenght in 2012 or later! I am taking vitamins, applying my sulfur mix, drinking more water, protective styling in braids (low manipulation) and using better products to prevent this from happening.

My biggest fear is since I stop going to the salon, my hair will stop growing completely and that I'm doing more damage than good trying to maintain it myself.

I had this same fear, but I just took a 5 month break from salons and my hair is the healthiest and longest its been in a while. BUT, I also have not used hardly any heat at home. I am still afraid of using heat on my own. I'm going to work on it though, if I can master a good flat iron, that would be the bomb.com and I won't have to rely on stylists when I want straight hair.

If it was only one, I'd say Alopecia. Everything else I can work with- it would grow back.

Pet peeves would be :
a TWA (don't ask how it would happen)
Having to transition again

I have two fears:

1. That detangling with a brush is causing mechanical damage that will necessarily mean my ends will break off at some point, preventing me from reaching collar-bone-length when completely dry/shrunken.

2. That even with a ton of my length, my hair will never start to "lie/fall" down. My hair grows up to the sky in an afro. I am hoping at some point that gravity/weight causes my hair to hang at SOME point . . . perhaps at full BSL or full WL. I fear that I will just have a SUPER HUGE afro.

Last edited:
1) A stranger coming up and chopping off a chunk of my hair.

2) Lice. I worked in an orphanage during an infestation and the white girls working with me all caught it. Naw son.

I have none at the moment. If it falls off, wigs are great. There are so many options out there. I decided that I will no longer cave in to fear but grasp the gift of power, love and sound mind that is mine. It will be what it will be. Glory to God Almighty anyhow.

Is caffeine (topically) in your routine? I believe I read somewhere that alopecia is caused by DHT, and that caffeine blocks it. Oh, and pumpkin seed oil.

No i havent used caffeine. thanks for sharing that. Do you mean coffee rinses? I have been trying to understand the DHT factor as well, but I dont understand what i can do to combat it. Dr. Axe did suggest saw palmetto.

Hair dye giving me an allergic reaction. I love permanent super duper black dye and I know it has bad stuff in it but I love the end results. I fear that my luck will run out and I will end up with a swollen pie face.

Back