What keeps you motivated to continue your hair journey?

What is your motivation?

• Growth/Retention

Votes: 170 73.0%
  • Discovering new products (ex. oils, butters, etc)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Being on the varies hair boards

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 32 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have multiple things that keep me motivated:

1. Progress - friend of mine had not seen me for about a year and a half. When she saw me it was total shock and awe.
2. Compliments (at the risk of sounding vain)
3. New Products (I'm a closet PJ, always trying new things then going back to staples)

seeing all of these fotki's and pix of hair motivates me. i see where i want to be and it makes me more determined to get to my ultimate goal.

Amazing progress and the rewarding feeling of knowing that the health of my hair is in my hands and NOT my stylists'.

I'm determined to be an old lady with a single braid that touches the chair when I sit down, that has always been my dream and it's what keeps me motivated.

I'm determined to be an old lady with a single braid that touches the chair when I sit down, that has always been my dream and it's what keeps me motivated.

Me too!! I always say that when my hair starts turning gray i hope it all turns snow white...so i'll look like this majestic old woman with a long snow white braid.

I voted for the hair boards. Seeing the Feature of the month and reading everyone's posts keeps me engaged and makes me want to stick to my hair goals.

Soul Train.

Seriously, since the weather has changed, there are days when I want to go hack it off, get a perm:look: and rock a Halle Berry.:lol:

Those are the days I look to Soul Train, and see all of the lovely nachals bouncing down the Soul Train line.

Seriously.

Seeing the progress in health & length has kept me motivated in continuing my journey. Even if I go off track ( we fall down but we get up!) I know what to do to get back!

I'm still like a newbie at this, but here goes:

This forum: I found this forum last year when I was complaining about my relaxed hair. Now, I'm transitioning to natural, and the wealth of information (can't say support cause I mostly lurk) is wonderful.

Fotkis: I don't have one, but for those who do, I love looking at pics to keep me motivated on this journey, cause I DO get a little depressed about my hair, like everyone else from time to time.

Products: This is a toughie for me, but I'm learning as I go along. I read reviews about products ppl use, and read lables (never in my life until now, lol) to see if/how my hair will react to it. So far...shea butter my hair likes, and oil my hair hates.

Thanks for letting me share.

LHCF definitely got me serious about my hair growth, but the prospect of length and retention is now my ultimate motivator.

I'm transitioning and my natural friends support me. Looking at fotkis, this board, and some famous folks and my friends with beautiful, natural hair inspire me a lot...I also saw a little curly of my own with just a little gel and conditioner and I was wowed....:yep:

The people who thjink black hair won't grow motivate me.

The haters who said that maybe my hair isn't meant to be long motivate me

My family members, none of which have had hair longer than NL (including me) motivate me

My desire to be a good beautician and keep my clients hair healthy motivates me

My own progress that I have made motivates me

All of the journeys that I have followed on this and other sites motivate me

My 3 y.o. daughter motivates me, I want hair to be the least of her worries

I have a lot of motivation. Healthy hair is the stepping stone of great style

For me the inspiration of other sucessful natural ladies and the constant progression I see every month with my hair! Growth and retention are a wonderful combination! Amazing:yep::grin:

The two pictures are from my bc in Dec 08 and Jan 09

Attachments

• 09 jan.jpg
    09 jan.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Growth/Retention and LHCF/Fotki
I've had BSL (maybe a little longer) hair in the past and I thought I was the ish. Then I get on this board and see folks w/ WL hair!!!! I think of my hair as a 'project' now and I want the project to be a successful one.

Hi KittyMeowMeow,
I love your vibe your are so positive! I agree with everything you said in your post. Thanks for the positive attitude!

Seeing results (!!!)- in length, fullness, overall look even after just a few months.

Loving and appreciating what I've already achieved, even as I dream about what's to come.

Having fun figuring out what my hair loves. I see growing my hair as a fun challenge.

Enjoying other's progress- whether they are reaching SL after being CL or above their whole life or going from WSL to HL and beyond, I love seeing others reach their goals.

Seeing my overall health improve because of the internal things I'm doing for my hair.

Having positive people in my life who support me in my hair journey.

And believing and knowing that I can achieve my hair goals- it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of HOW. Seeing that this is the case with my hair is inspiring me in other areas of my life, and I love it!

I agree with you these ladies really help to encourage each other grow hair to new lengths, I love it!

Before suscribing to LHCF, I was a skeptic of AA women having hair longer than APL. I thought it could happen, but when you don't see it on a regular basis, it's hard to actually BELIEVE it. After seeing everyone encourage each other (AA women not being catty about hair, something I'm definitely NOT use to), I'm now trying to show my family and friends that it's possible with the right techniques.

My motivation for having healthy, long hair is to be proof for those close to me that it actually can happen. My only dilemma is whether or not I want to remain relaxed, or transistion to natural so I can grow dreads... :wallbash:

These bald head chicks that think they cute with their 18 inch outré premiums I'm motivated to Show them how thick and long my hair really is!!!! Watch out haterz!

Same here!!! I love when people tell me I cant do something...:boxing: I just nod pleasantly,, :rolleyes: but in my head im like watch this !@#$%!!!! :evillaugh:

LOL, I'm terrible about that. I've got the "Did you just call me a chicken?" syndrome. On the first day of class I challenged my English Comp II professor to NOT give me an A. She was just talking too much smack about how tough her class was. I got it by the way.

If someone wants me to do something, all they have to do is tell me that I cant. Then it is SO ON...within reason of course.

Oh, and I'm on this journey because at my age (35) I REALLY should know how to take care of my hair.

my motivation right now is my myscene doll sitting in the corner of my room her hair is all the way down to her knees ...........i wanna be just like my doll shes so cool:blondboob

Honestly its fun and empowering. I love doing things to my hair and I feel so good knowing how to take care of it ON MY OWN. I was so over feeling like I either had to go to the salon or look a HAM. I love discovering new things about my hair, products and techniues to make it even better. Of course my progess is also a great motivating factor.

My main motivation is proving everyone wrong. Most people here truly believe that someone like me (not mixed and with 4B hair) canot grow long hair.

Back