What keeps you motivated to continue your hair journey?

What is your motivation?

• Growth/Retention

Votes: 170 73.0%
  • Discovering new products (ex. oils, butters, etc)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Being on the varies hair boards

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 32 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All of the 4a/b Naturals that have never had hair longer than SL. And seeing my progress keeps me motivated as well as the simplicity of my regimen. Also when i randomly find a strand of hair that is between APL and BSL. And I literally say wow! nobody can tell me that I can't have long hair because that strand proves it's possible. And the overwhelming desire to stop wearing braid extensions (I have been wearing them since I was 5 with a week or weekend in between for breaks, people that have known me for years have never seen my hair)

I voted growth/retention. Having the knowledge that my hair is/will be healthy and have a beautiful swang to it.

Good question (*family feud cheers*)! Likewise, the challenges, new discoveries, and progress in motion are what inspire me. I wanted to reach new lengths and I just knew there was a way to do it. Discovering new oils and butters that actually penetrate my hairi and soften it has been unbelievable. I thought it was jsut that my hair texture was perpetually hard and untouchable. I get excited thinking about coming home to add hair butters and oils to my hair! Scraggly hair women walking around everywhere - and women who think we have to "perm" our hair also motivate me to keep me on my journey.

what keeps me motivated is believing that i can and will have mbl or longer natural hair.
sometimes i do want to give up because of new found tangles but i see what others have achieved in lets say 2-3 years and i know that i can too. i love seeing my hair transform and grow and become healthier.
i love buying new products to see what they will do for me but i know my hair will and can survive and thrive with shea butter and oils.

I voted other because for me its all the above!!:yep:

I love watching my hair grow even longer than it was when i was 8 years old...my hair was about BSL then. I love being able to go to a grocery store, a drugstore or a Target store...which is all of them really..:grin: to buy my hair products bc i'm no longer under that...i can only get my hair care items from the black hair store :nono:...spell.

Although LHCF is really the site where i mainly post...i do visit other hair sites...i like the different atmospheres...some feel like home/family and others feel like a lounge/coffee shop. I ALSO like that i can do my hair like the yt girls and i learn some of my bunning techniques from them:yep:

Everyday u learn something new about your own hair...i'm even thinking about starting to transition next year.

Its all fun and i love challenges.

it's sexy and I can rub it in people's face that its not a weave. plus, I want my boyfriend play with it.

At this point it's like 'if this is how you want your hair to look this is what you have to do.' so taking better care of my hair became just part of what I do.

It would be the dot over the i for me.
I am tall, slim, dress well, pretty and I think that long hair will just make me extra gorgeous...Yes, I said it and I mean it.
I think long and healthy hair is very feminine and i think it reflects how a woman takes care of her self.
Besides, I don't like short hair on me.

Definitely growth/retention. Sometimes I will think I am doing so-so on my journey. And then I will take some pictures. And I honestly cannot believe that is my hair. I sometimes go and look at my starting picture and compare to my recent pictures. And I am just amazed.

What keeps me motivated is seeing all the progress from the ladies on this thread. That and knowing now that i don't have to be a slave to a hair stylist. In just three months from joining this site I saw a tremendous change in the health and length of my hair.

Haters are my motivation. People that knock being natural and those that don't understand why I cut all my hair off to grow it long. I think once I reach my goals they'll understand it all. Oh and to continue to dispell they myth that black hair can't grow.....

Having the hair of my dreams is what keeps me motivated. I know that I can achieve it since finding this board.

Honestly, I am mostly motivated now because my hair is starting to break off (from my laziness) and I'm having mini setbacks.

I was having some pretty steady progress and then it hit bsl.......I got lazy, starting feeling myself a lil too much (#dontjudgeme) and decided I could put everything on cruise control and fogetaboutit.....NOT!!!! (And did I mention that I'm transitioning???)

So seeing clumps of hair in my hand really motivated me to get back on the wagon and not take anything for granted.

Seeing the ladies with their manes lets me know that what I am seeking is attainable so I keep up the effort. Me getting closer and closer to reaching my goals is its own reward.

my progress... proof positive that what i'm doing works.... and of course i want long hair

I personally love being natural, I love the thickness, the strength, and personally think Everyone looks the most beautiful with there God given hair. I love and respect All textures and love to see woman not only accept, but embrace there natural beauty.I m not ever tempted to go back, and often wonder what took me so long ? Happy hair growing everyone!

Hearing all the hispanic girls say "I thought black girls hair couldnt grow":rolleyes:

O0H GIRL, OHHHHHH GIRL I FEEL YOU, this burns meee :angry2:
:angry2: UPPP. and thats the main reason why my hair is long in the first place, to prove them wrong :grin:

other then that, i couldnt care less if my hair was long. lol im all about proving my pointS.

what motivates me to continue this hair journey is that i had long hair my whole life before my two bcs. i would love to see my natural hair at my old lengths. i like having long hair too because it makes me feel good. ♥

Last edited:
Back