~~~waist Length Dreams~~~ Challenge 2018

I got my first sew in! I plan to leave in for at least 8 weeks. Yesterday I clarified, hard protein, deep conditioned, and moisturized.
I'm happy with the results.
That's cute. I've had a couple sewins back in the day. Thinking about going back to give my hair a break for a month at a time. How do you do the bolded in the sewin? Your hair doesn't stay wet and get yucky/overmoisturized?

Thank you @Froreal3

I washed it with Vo5 strawberries and cream. Used Aphogee two step, dc with Darcy's botanical pumpkin seed conditioner.
Moisturize with SheScentIt coco cream leave in and SM curl enhancing smoothie, avocado oil to seal.
I put up into a bun.

If I left it in that bun it would take two days to dry. At take down its moisturized and beach wave light and flowing.
After my last step of sealing, if it feels mushy, I know I need to re wash with clarifying shampoo.

Mush only occurs when I use moisturizing shampoos to wash with, and have too much buildup.

For my sew in , they did wash it again, and blowed dryed.

Thanks sis. I've been over the obsession. My hair only grew significantly the first year of my hair growth journey. This was in 2012-2013 when I became informed and serious about growing my hair out. It grew 4" that year. It hasn't grown much at all since then. The longest my hair has been was 14" in the front and 12" in the back. I'm at the point where if it grows, it grows. If it doesn't, I'm good because I have enough to do things with and look good.

See the above post. My hair hasn't grown much in years, and I'm clueless as to why. I do everything right. I had a Komaza analysis and they said I need more protein. I've done that. I use the protein treatment every two weeks. I keep my hair in twists that I bun or pin up. I moisturize every couple days when its dry. I DC weekly, shampoo weekly to every other week.

I've had my iron levels checked (they are fine), my vit D (low, but hair hasn't retained much since I started taking vit D3). I've used sulfur, MN, etc. My hair doesn't seem to care about the extra protein intake or exercise like that. I'll work out just to maintain my body, but I'm not gonna be choking down 3 Blender Bottles of shakes just to get the protein to my hair. I just don't gaf enough anymore. I'm looking for a braider now so I can go back to my cute cornrowed extension hairstyles, braids etc and keep them in for a month each time. Maybe the problem is that my older ends can't take the weekly washing etc. Hopefully it grows with less manipulation and I just started this new Surge mess. But if it doesn't, I'm good.

ETA: I'm going to restart taking my Megafoods Blood Builder because for hair growth, iron levels should be higher than what mine currently are (even though my dr. said they are within "normal" limits). I'm also going to continue taking my vitamin D. We'll see what happens.
Also consider a liquid vitamin. I found my body doesn't have a great absorption of vitamins from food and regular vitamins. However I can tell the difference with liquid vitamins and some have iron. They are pricey but I think it may be worth a 90 day test.

I was too busy/lazy to wash my hair last week. Now I have so much product build up, that it's tacky to the touch, almost sticky. I'm about to hop in the shower and poo with this organix coconut milk I picked up yesterday. But next I want to try the elasta qp everyone keeps mentioning.

Thank you @Froreal3

I washed it with Vo5 strawberries and cream. Used Aphogee two step, dc with Darcy's botanical pumpkin seed conditioner.
Moisturize with SheScentIt coco cream leave in and SM curl enhancing smoothie, avocado oil to seal.
I put up into a bun.

If I left it in that bun it would take two days to dry. At take down its moisturized and beach wave light and flowing.
After my last step of sealing, if it feels mushy, I know I need to re wash with clarifying shampoo.

Mush only occurs when I use moisturizing shampoos to wash with, and have too much buildup.

For my sew in , they did wash it again, and blowed dryed.

I mean how do you wash, moisturize and seal in the weave? You use diluted shampoo with an applicator bottle? How do you moisturize the hair under the weave?

This is my very first weave.
In two weeks I will use an applicator bottle with diluted shampoo, massage gently in between braids.
Rinse and do the same with conditioner, without massage.

Once I rinse that out apply whatever oil I have on hand, coconut, avocado, grape seed, or sweet almond oil in between braids.
Then sit under dryer for a bit.

I never took care of a weave, but read different ways others care for theirs to keep it healthy.

I'm glad you posted this because I got a weave 2 days ago and I was going to research how to care for my hair. This is only my second weave ever. The first was back in 2000 and I only had it for 2 weeks, so never learned to to care for it.
This is my very first weave.
In two weeks I will use an applicator bottle with diluted shampoo, massage gently in between braids.
Rinse and do the same with conditioner, without massage.

Once I rinse that out apply whatever oil I have on hand, coconut, avocado, grape seed, or sweet almond oil in between braids.
Then sit under dryer for a bit.

I never took care of a weave, but read different ways others care for theirs to keep it healthy.

@HappyAtLast

What kind of weave you have?

The stylist informed me the scalp can get really itchy underneath and drive one crazy.

She said I can put a mixture of water and witch hazel into a applicator bottle and squeeze into braids.

Braid spray can relieve itching too. You can pour braid spray mixture into applicator bottle to really penetrate the scalp under the braids.

My style is just like this. BRX braid spray served me well when I had braids, so I heavily moisturized with it before install and will use it throughout. I'll try it with the applicator bottle. I'll also be oiling my scalp. I used human hair, and I plan to leave this style in 6-8 weeks.

I already have witch hazel, so I'll try that as you suggested. I bought something called 8 in 1 (or something like that) to moisturize the weave hair, as recommended by the girl in the BSS.

I find washing my hair while wearing gloves easiest and with the least disruption to my style when I was in braids (and now weave). It's just very smooth.
@HappyAtLast

What kind of weave you have?

The stylist informed me the scalp can get really itchy underneath and drive one crazy.

She said I can put a mixture of water and witch hazel into a applicator bottle and squeeze into braids.

Braid spray can relieve itching too. You can pour braid spray mixture into applicator bottle to really penetrate the scalp under the braids.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-11-02-35-22-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-11-02-35-22-1.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz.
  • DC'd with Entwine for 2 hours under heat cap.
  • Scrubbed scalp with CC's Natural Lavender Chamomile, CW'd with TVO Apple Cleanser, Reconstructed with SSI Okra, 80% R/O with ACV & V05 Free Me Freesia.
  • LCOB'd with L = Jakeala Pineapple, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = DIY mix, B = Hairitage Hydration Caramel Frappucino on scalp.

This is after my olive oil prepoo for around 4 hours. Then shampoo and conditional w Suave Professionals. My hair always behaves nicely after this process. I have to say the longer my hair gets the more petrified I am of having it professionally "trimmed." It took me too long to get here to have someone just hack off all my progress. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 14 Aug 16 Hair Journey.jpg
    14 Aug 16 Hair Journey.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 50
My hair feels like straw. That coconut milk shampoo is no good. I'll just use it to clean my combs.

It's amazing how bad your hair can feel from using the wrong product.
I agree. That's why it's good if you find something that works to stick w it. Especially if it doesn't cost that much. :)

What i also found was that sometimes my hair feels filmy in the shower and so sometimes I just water rinse and let it breathe. I think that's been helping too. Especially if you're going to do plaits bc just the water w the braids keep the moisture in too.

This is after my olive oil prepoo for around 4 hours. Then shampoo and conditional w Suave Professionals. My hair always behaves nicely after this process. I have to say the longer my hair gets the more petrified I am of having it professionally "trimmed." It took me too long to get here to have someone just hack off all my progress. Any suggestions?
Beautiful! It's grown so much!

I agree. That's why it's good if you find something that works to stick w it. Especially if it doesn't cost that much. :)

What i also found was that sometimes my hair feels filmy in the shower and so sometimes I just water rinse and let it breathe. I think that's been helping too. Especially if you're going to do plaits bc just the water w the braids keep the moisture in too.

Yeah. Baking soda as shampoo has been working for me, but I was getting lazy and wanted to find something that was already premade. Once I find a good one, I'll stick to it.

I got 2 compliments on my hair yesterday. :) A man drove by and stopped and yelled out 'nice hair' and then drove on. Then a woman at Trader Joe's told me nice hair too. It's just 2 sloppy flat twists on either side of my hair, and I swear the picture doesn't look that cute to me. Still, I will probably be wearing this for the rest of the week because of those compliments :giggle:

I got 2 compliments on my hair yesterday. :) A man drove by and stopped and yelled out 'nice hair' and then drove on. Then a woman at Trader Joe's told me nice hair too. It's just 2 sloppy flat twists on either side of my hair, and I swear the picture doesn't look that cute to me. Still, I will probably be wearing this for the rest of the week because of those compliments :giggle:
omg that's too funny!! The man stopping and yelling n all :lachen:

Yeah. Baking soda as shampoo has been working for me, but I was getting lazy and wanted to find something that was already premade. Once I find a good one, I'll stick to it.
I hope you can find something cheap that smells nice. I feel really bad that u have to use baking soda. :( My Suave Professionals works nice and it's so cheap. It has Keratin Infusion and the Olive Oil Prepoo works wonders and protects my hair from the shampoo. Plus I can use it to cook too. :D

I hope you can find something cheap that smells nice. I feel really bad that u have to use baking soda. :( My Suave Professionals works nice and it's so cheap. It has Keratin Infusion and the Olive Oil Prepoo works wonders and protects my hair from the shampoo. Plus I can use it to cook too. :D

I wasn't using baking soda because it was cheap, I like it because I think it helps my conditioner work better. But mixing it up every week was just getting tedious. I used to prepoo,but I've gotten lazy. Maybe the shampoo I bought wouldn't have been so bad if I had prepoo'd first.

I think the root of my problem is that I've gotten lazy with my hair.

I'm going to be getting cornrows and weaves to leave in from at least 3 - 5 weeks (braids) anad 4 - 6 weeks (weaves). I just want something different and I'm tired of messing w/my hair. Hopefully touching my hair only once a month will contribute to better retention.

Anyway, my problem is that I will be working around horses till December (don't ask) and they kick up dirt etc. I won't be grooming horses or anything, but dirt will be flying everywhere to the point that I have been warned that dirt will be coming out of orifices I didn't even know existed (picture black snot) :nono: So do you still think it's a good idea to get into these styles? I mean, I'll still be washing the weaves once a week using an applicator bottle.

I'm going to be getting cornrows and weaves to leave in from at least 3 - 5 weeks (braids) anad 4 - 6 weeks (weaves). I just want something different and I'm tired of messing w/my hair. Hopefully touching my hair only once a month will contribute to better retention.

Anyway, my problem is that I will be working around horses till December (don't ask) and they kick up dirt etc. I won't be grooming horses or anything, but dirt will be flying everywhere to the point that I have been warned that dirt will be coming out of orifices I didn't even know existed (picture black snot) :nono: So do you still think it's a good idea to get into these styles? I mean, I'll still be washing the weaves once a week using an applicator bottle.
Im just jumping in. I would stick to the. Cornrows and wear a plastic cap and a head covering to keep your hair dirt free.

Then maybe switch over to the weave later.

But if you can get a weave style that is easy to tuck away that will work too. You just need to be able to hide your hair under a plastic cap while working around the horses.

That could work out and sounds really good. An idea that popped into my head was that you could wear cute kerchiefs to protect your head from so much dirt. :look: Do some research if possible to make sure you're not going to ruin the hair that you have now w these styles. And if you can afford it sure why not. It's important to feel good about yourself.

Last edited:
Im just jumping in. I would stick to the. Cornrows and wear a plastic cap and a head covering to keep your hair dirt free.

Then maybe switch over to the weave later.

But if you can get a weave style that is easy to tuck away that will work too. You just need to be able to hide your hair under a plastic cap while working around the horses.

That's an idea. I am definitely going to wear a scarf with plastic cap underneath to this place. I usually get shorter styles like bobs or shoulder length hair.

That could work out and sounds really good. An idea that popped into my head was that you could wear cute kerchiefs to protect your head from so much dirt. :look: Do some research if possible to make sure you're not going to ruin the hair that you have now w these styles. And if you can afford it sure why not. It's important to feel good about yourself.

I've had weaves in before and I've never been bald afterward. :lol:

That's an idea. I am definitely going to wear a scarf with plastic cap underneath to this place. I usually get shorter styles like bobs or shoulder length hair.

I've had weaves in before and I've never been bald afterward. :lol:
Ok good!! So then I don't have to worry about you, lol

At a certain point I was really considering one but the expense of it made it impossible for me and the reviews scared me or maybe I scared myself on purpose bc I could not afford it.
:lachen:

Back