~~~waist Length Dreams~~~ Challenge 2018

I've done weekly buns, weekly halo twists, 2-4 week mini twists (own hair), box braids, and faux locs and nothing has compared to the length retention I get with a sew in.

I attribute this to my hair being braided up and protected COMPLETELY from ALL harmful elements AND for a good length of time. My hair flourishes and you can't beat the low maintenance of it all. More hair and less effort child please I should've stopped being boogie and started wearing weave a long time ago :lachen:

Been watching videos lately on how to do a sew in yourself. I would love to be able to take down and redo monthly in an effort to scrub this scalp more often (these itches :mad:) Saving a few coins and not having to depend on someone will be a plus. Will be attempting my sisters sew in early next week so we'll see how that goes.

Day 3 of trying to rehydrate my hair. It's getting better but it has definitely not recovered. This is so frustrating.
I am so sorry. Your hair looks so perfect in your signature picture. How did you get it like that? Omg I would be googling my tail off trying to get answers. Do you think it's just the heat? A lot of people are having problems because of the heat a lone. I hope you get answers soon and you're hair can be hydrated. I'm very sorry you're going through this.

I am so sorry. Your hair looks so perfect in your signature picture. How did you get it like that? Omg I would be googling my tail off trying to get answers. Do you think it's just the heat? A lot of people are having problems because of the heat a lone. I hope you get answers soon and you're hair can be hydrated. I'm very sorry you're going through this.

Thanks @Caramel74

In my picture I was prepooing with AOHSR and oil, washing with baking soda poo, using one of my 3 standard conditioners and finishing with an ACV rinse.

I'm pretty sure it's the shampoo that dried out my hair. I went 2 weeks without washing instead of one so I think I was too enthusiastic about trying to get it clean. This weekend I'll go back to my full routine with a good prepoo. Hopefully that will bring it back to normal. I won't panic until I try that.

Keeping up with my Thursday wash day routine.

Tomorrow

Prepoo: HQS Greaseless moisture
Shampoo: Elucence moisture benefits
Condition: Tresemme perfectly undone
Moisturize & Style: Shea Moisture Low porosity leave in

Putting it in 2 braids

Thanks @Caramel74

In my picture I was prepooing with AOHSR and oil, washing with baking soda poo, using one of my 3 standard conditioners and finishing with an ACV rinse.

I'm pretty sure it's the shampoo that dried out my hair. I went 2 weeks without washing instead of one so I think I was too enthusiastic about trying to get it clean. This weekend I'll go back to my full routine with a good prepoo. Hopefully that will bring it back to normal. I won't panic until I try that.
Sounds like a good plan. I think you'll be back to your regular beautiful hydrated hair after that. :eyebrows2:

I've done weekly buns, weekly halo twists, 2-4 week mini twists (own hair), box braids, and faux locs and nothing has compared to the length retention I get with a sew in.

I attribute this to my hair being braided up and protected COMPLETELY from ALL harmful elements AND for a good length of time. My hair flourishes and you can't beat the low maintenance of it all. More hair and less effort child please I should've stopped being boogie and started wearing weave a long time ago :lachen:

Been watching videos lately on how to do a sew in yourself. I would love to be able to take down and redo monthly in an effort to scrub this scalp more often (these itches :mad:) Saving a few coins and not having to depend on someone will be a plus. Will be attempting my sisters sew in early next week so we'll see how that goes.
Have you considered crochet braids? Maybe it would give you the best of both worlds. And it's something you can learn to do yourself.

Have you considered crochet braids? Maybe it would give you the best of both worlds. And it's something you can learn to do yourself.

I have considered crochet braids but I definitely need to do more research. Thanks for reminding me.

What kind of styles can you achieve with this style ? I've only seen faux box braids and twists and curly hair. Can I achieve straight hair ?

If you want straight hair, I say go for the weave:yep:

Yeah I think that is what I figured when considering crotchet. I remember watching a video were a girl tried straight hair but she said it kept slipping out. Will definitely try crotchet though if I wanna try curly hair or faux locs again.

I've also considered U-part wigs. That way I can simply sew and unsew around the perimeter every so often to get to my scalp. Looking into that too.

I have considered crochet braids but I definitely need to do more research. Thanks for reminding me.

What kind of styles can you achieve with this style ? I've only seen faux box braids and twists and curly hair. Can I achieve straight hair ?

You can achieve straight hair. I find these videos helpful with making crochet installs look natural.

Straight hair crochet install:

Invisible part:

I tried this on blown out marley hair. I might be biased but I just wasn't feeling it. I loved my curly crochet installs.

Yeah I feel you. The look of it is a little off.

Some don't, but I do! I needed my scalp clean!

I put my shampoo in an applicator bottle to apply the shampoo to my scalp. Depending on the thickness of whatever shampoo I was using at the time, I might have to water it down a bit so that it slides/flows out of the applicator bottle.

The hair doesn't tangle and mat ?

Some don't, but I do! I needed my scalp clean!

I put my shampoo in an applicator bottle to apply the shampoo to my scalp. Depending on the thickness of whatever shampoo I was using at the time, I might have to water it down a bit so that it slides/flows out of the applicator bottle.

I did like you. I was suprised it was so easy. Funny but that was the only PS I felt comfortable enough to wash my hair in (eww lol). Didn't wash my hair half as much back when I was transitioning.

Does the curly hair tangle when you wash it? I could try that I've never had curly hair before I might like it. Do you have pictures by any chance?

As long as you don't have HIH then he curly hair is amazingly simple to deal with and doesn't tangle when washed (even rodded marley hair- although that is a little higher maintenance than say bohemian / water wave).

Mine didn't. I'm sure some hair does. And . . . it did dry the hair out a little. I wore the crochet braids for 6-8 weeks at a time. I washed every two weeks.

Some say an alternative is to use baby wipes on the scalp. I've never tried that.

Thats the problem. I HAVE to wash my scalp and often. This is the only issue I'm having with sew-ins. Scalp be on fire even washing every 10-11 days.

I've only started wearing any kind of fake hair last year so I'm still trying to get use to it. Right now I don't fell comfortable at all unless no one can tell my hair is fake (not counting box braids and those type styles) and no one does with my partial sew in not even family. I have plenty styles to try and a lot to learn.

Thats the problem. I HAVE to wash my scalp and often. This is the only issue I'm having with sew-ins. Scalp be on fire even washing every 10-11 days.

I've only started wearing any kind of fake hair last year so I'm still trying to get use to it. Right now I don't fell comfortable at all unless no one can tell my hair is fake (not counting box braids and those type styles) and no one does with my partial sew in not even family. I have plenty styles to try and a lot to learn.

I am just like you!

I NEVER, EVER, EVAH, EVAH only once wore fake hair before. I needed my crochet braids to look like my own hair. I think my second stylist got very close. I had it installed pretty thinly (not dense). It was NOT a crazy length. I had a short/small part right down the front. I had her braid my cornrows for the part VERY close together. When my own hair grew in a little into the part, many strangers thought my crochet hair was my own.

I strongly dislike the smallest indicators of fakeness of hair. It was a HUGE departure for me to get a crochet install. That let's you know: I desperately needed a break from caring for my natural hair. :laugh:

I am just like you!

I NEVER, EVER, EVAH, EVAH only once wore fake hair before. I needed my crochet braids to look like my own hair. I think my second stylist got very close. I had it installed pretty thinly (not dense). It was NOT a crazy length. I had a short/small part right down the front. I had her braid my cornrows for the part VERY close together. When my own hair grew in a little into the part, many strangers thought my crochet hair was my own.

I strongly dislike the smallest indicators of fakeness of hair. It was a HUGE departure for me to get a crochet install. That let's you know: I desperately needed a break from caring for my natural hair. :laugh:

@morgandenae,

P.S. Funny story: When I got my crochet install cut out, the other ladies in the salon thought I was getting my hair cut off! They were whispering, staring, etc. They thought I was big-chopping. :look:

I am just like you!

Yaass girl I'm with you. I bought 3 wigs last winter and still have yet to step out the house with them. Some girls can wear them and they look natural and great I haven't reached that point :lol:

Yes you can do straight styles. It's really not that different from a weave. You just aren't sewing it in but using a crochet needle to attach it piece by piece.

Back