~~~waist Length Dreams~~~ Challenge 2018

I recently went on a trip to Texas for school. Annndddd it was great! I love the Dallas/Arlington area and I really enjoyed my whole trip. Now about my hair: I normally wash my hair 2x times a week(wed and sat/sun). My flight for Dallas was on Thursday, so I end up doing my hair super late and my flat twist wasn't dry by the morning. So by the time I got to my aunt's house in Dallas,my hair was ultra dry mess. I had to m&s all over again. I co-washed on Saturday and did my usually flat twists. Fast-forward to now: I had to do my Saturday hair routine between Monday and Sunday due to a paper being due on sunday. So my flat is still under my bonnet in flat twist that I'll take out for a flat twist tomorrow. I also plan to get my hair cut in August before I install some box braids. I want her to cut of about 1 1/2 in to help get rid of my damaged ends.

• Pre-poo'd for 45 minutes under the heat cap with Neutrogena Clean Normalizing & Zero % Conditioners.
  • CW'd with Honey's Handmade Pumpkin & Safflower Apple Butter.
  • 80% R/O with SM Black Soap Balancing Conditioner.
  • LCOB'd with L = Ion Reparative Solutions, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze, B = Hairitage Hydration Horsetail on scalp & Siamese Twist Vanilla ButterCreme on ends.

• Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz & EVCO.
  • DC'd with mix of Blue Roze Cocoa Coffee Rhassoul & Kachi Kapur Ayurvedic Powder under heat cap for an hour.
  • Poo'd with TJ Tea Tree Tingle, CW'd with TVO Apple Cleansing, Reconstructed with K. Moore Growth Repair, 80% R/O of ACV & SM Black Soap Balancing Conditioner.
  • LCOB'd: L = Ion Reparative Solutions, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze, B = Hairitage Hydration Horsetail Butter on scalp & Siamese Twist Vanilla ButterCreme on ends.

• Pre-poo'd twists for 30 minutes under the heat cap with Zero % & CW'd it out.
  • LCO'd with L = Ion Reparative Solutions, C = Oyin Hair Dew & O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze on length & Keravada Green Tea on scalp.

• DC'd for 30 minutes under the heat cap with Honey's Handmade Tropical Carrots & Coconut Milk Conditioning Cream & Zero% Conditioner.
  • CW'd with Terra Veda Organix Apple Cleansing.
  • 80% R/O of SM Black Soap Balancing & V05 Free Me Freesia Moisturing Conditioners.
  • LCOS'd with L = Cozy Moments Vanilla Waffle Cone, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze on length & Keravada Green Tea on scalp & S = Africa's Best Textures Shea Butter Curl Defining Cream.

• Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz, Queen of Curls Revitalizer & Siamese Twist Light Protein Reconstructor on ends.
  • DC'd for an hour under the heat cap with a mix of ST Detox & Entwine.
  • Poo'd with TJ Tea Tree Tingle, CW'd with TVO Apple Cleansing, Reconstructed with SSI Okra & 80% R/O of ACV & V05 Free Me Freesia.
  • LCOB'd with L = Cozy Moments Vanilla Waffle, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = Embrace the Natural You Trinity Glaze, B = Hairitage Hydration Caramel Frappucino on scalp.

Hi ladies. Long time. Been busy with school. Anyway, still trying to hang in there. I've upped my vitamin D3 intake and will have a blood test next week to see how much they've risen. Not sure if that may contribute to hair growth. My hair growth seems to have stalled. My next plan is to try to just leave my hair in long term protective styles. Right not I wash it and twist it up once a week. That may be too much manipulation. We'll see.

I feel like I have been out of the loop for a while, so today I tried to catch up really fast. My update is that I'm taking advantage of the summer heat. Meaning, taking a break from even blow drying. Except for today, lol. Just a quick tension blowdry that'll most likely end up a waste, lol.

Looking forward to a dominican blowout in about October and trimming myself. I've been trying to get others to join LHCF. You'd be surprised how many sisters don't know about it.

Hoping I get a summer growth spurt or something.

I pulled my soaking wet hair to see where it reaches like a week ago and it looked like it was under my boob. I could be tilting my head & being delusional though lol

Next time I refresh my color which is probably next month I'm going to wear my hair bone straight to see the length and measure it.

Hoping I get a summer growth spurt or something.

I pulled my soaking wet hair to see where it reaches like a week ago and it looked like it was under my boob. I could be tilting my head & being delusional though lol

Next time I refresh my color which is probably next month I'm going to wear my hair bone straight to see the length and measure it.

Okay so maybe I'm not being delusional. Just looked at a pic of my hair from March 2nd, blow dried prior to me installing my mini braids. Not far fetched that it's "under boob" now lol it was almost there in March

Unfortunately that also means I barely retained. This was 4 months ago :/ I did cut some in June so maybe that would've made a bigger difference. My ends looked like crap though so it was needed.

Okay so maybe I'm not being delusional. Just looked at a pic of my hair from March 2nd, blow dried prior to me installing my mini braids. Not far fetched that it's "under boob" now lol it was almost there in March

Unfortunately that also means I barely retained. This was 4 months ago :/ I did cut some in June so maybe that would've made a bigger difference. My ends looked like crap though so it was needed.
Actually "under boob" is really long though.. that's about at least MBL right? If you're ends needed a trim then they needed it. What's the point of having long hair if it looks too rough or like you said like crap. Plus you'd get more shedding too if you didn't trim. The goal should always be healthy and MBL is really long. :heart3:

Actually "under boob" is really long though.. that's about at least MBL right? If you're ends needed a trim then they needed it. What's the point of having long hair if it looks too rough or like you said like crap. Plus you'd get more shedding too if you didn't trim. The goal should always be healthy and MBL is really long. :heart3:

Lol my hair is low density so it never looks like a lot of hair plus I have hairnorexia. I remember my hair being apl & random people were calling my hair long. I said I'm not calling my hair long until I'm bsl. Noticed it was bra strap and didn't consider it long. Said I'm not calling my hair long until it's MBL. Here I am possibly grazing MBL and saying it's not long.

Don't mind me. I clearly have issues.

Btw I cowashed my hair today and moisturized with Camille Rose Curl Love. My new favorite product

Lol my hair is low density so it never looks like a lot of hair plus I have hairnorexia. I remember my hair being apl & random people were calling my hair long. I said I'm not calling my hair long until I'm bsl. Noticed it was bra strap and didn't consider it long. Said I'm not calling my hair long until it's MBL. Here I am possibly grazing MBL and saying it's not long.

Don't mind me. I clearly have issues.

Btw I cowashed my hair today and moisturized with Camille Rose Curl Love. My new favorite product
I understand. I think I have the same issues. I'm about an inch and a half away from BSL that's not really stretched, just wet. I get happy when my hair looks like it's filling in. Because i have this one part of my hair that shrinks all the way up the NL and it gets depressing. But I work with it and try to just concern myself w health. Because it's nice and full so when I sleep on it and get up and it's shrunken to SL but it looks nice. I'll take it. It's still the longest it's ever been from what I have learned w LHCF besides being pregnant or being a child and for my age too. I'm 42.

So I just got a new pair of shears and cut two inches all around. It's back to 10" pretty much everywhere (except some parts of the left side crown, which is shorter). I've pretty much given up on retaining anything. I know I won't make WL by next year December. My goal is just to keep it healthy and looking halfway decent. After this challenge is done, I won't join anymore. I'm going to install some cornrows and keep them in for a month each install. I'm just over the whole hair thing now.

So I just got a new pair of shears and cut two inches all around. It's back to 10" pretty much everywhere (except some parts of the left side crown, which is shorter). I've pretty much given up on retaining anything. I know I won't make WL by next year December. My goal is just to keep it healthy and looking halfway decent. After this challenge is done, I won't join anymore. I'm going to install some cornrows and keep them in for a month each install. I'm just over the whole hair thing now.
Maybe you're just getting over the obsession, which is fantastic in itself. I just wanted to support you bc number one, 10 inches of healthy hair is a lot. You can do a lot with and enjoy that. Another thing is being concerned with just health the length might sneak up so it's a win win situation.

I waited too late to wash my hair so I ended up not prepooing & shampooed & conditioned without sections.

The thing about styling on soaking wet hair, I really never know if it's going to look good or like a disaster in the morning. I like styling wet hair but wet & soaking wet are completely different. Squeezing hair out as much as I can before getting out of the shower vs straight out the shower no squeezing/wringing

If it's a mess, oh well. I got home hours ago & should've done it then.

@Froreal3

Why did you cut 2 inches off? I remember you and I have about the same length of hair.
My hair has stalled too, but I believe to pregnancy hormones.

But it's slowly growing, as an inch every 3-4 months.
I plan to also go into protection styles, short weaves to start.

I also have to consider I do not drink as much water as I need to, consistently everyday. Haven't did a protein treatment in months. Don't get me started on exercise. Can't remember last time I broke out a sweat.
These things maybe why my hair is not growing well.

But I did a protein treatment today lol, in preparation of starting my protection style tomorrow!

What have you been doing with your hair? Are you still on an high protein intake? Give us the whole scoop, haven't heard from you in a while.

Maybe you're just getting over the obsession, which is fantastic in itself. I just wanted to support you bc number one, 10 inches of healthy hair is a lot. You can do a lot with and enjoy that. Another thing is being concerned with just health the length might sneak up so it's a win win situation.

Thanks sis. I've been over the obsession. My hair only grew significantly the first year of my hair growth journey. This was in 2012-2013 when I became informed and serious about growing my hair out. It grew 4" that year. It hasn't grown much at all since then. The longest my hair has been was 14" in the front and 12" in the back. I'm at the point where if it grows, it grows. If it doesn't, I'm good because I have enough to do things with and look good.

@Froreal3

Why did you cut 2 inches off? I remember you and I have about the same length of hair.
My hair has stalled too, but I believe to pregnancy hormones.

But it's slowly growing, as an inch every 3-4 months.
I plan to also go into protection styles, short weaves to start.

I also have to consider I do not drink as much water as I need to, consistently everyday. Haven't did a protein treatment in months. Don't get me started on exercise. Can't remember last time I broke out a sweat.
These things maybe why my hair is not growing well.

But I did a protein treatment today lol, in preparation of starting my protection style tomorrow!

What have you been doing with your hair? Are you still on an high protein intake? Give us the whole scoop, haven't heard from you in a while.

See the above post. My hair hasn't grown much in years, and I'm clueless as to why. I do everything right. I had a Komaza analysis and they said I need more protein. I've done that. I use the protein treatment every two weeks. I keep my hair in twists that I bun or pin up. I moisturize every couple days when its dry. I DC weekly, shampoo weekly to every other week.

I've had my iron levels checked (they are fine), my vit D (low, but hair hasn't retained much since I started taking vit D3). I've used sulfur, MN, etc. My hair doesn't seem to care about the extra protein intake or exercise like that. I'll work out just to maintain my body, but I'm not gonna be choking down 3 Blender Bottles of shakes just to get the protein to my hair. I just don't gaf enough anymore. I'm looking for a braider now so I can go back to my cute cornrowed extension hairstyles, braids etc and keep them in for a month each time. Maybe the problem is that my older ends can't take the weekly washing etc. Hopefully it grows with less manipulation and I just started this new Surge mess. But if it doesn't, I'm good.

ETA: I'm going to restart taking my Megafoods Blood Builder because for hair growth, iron levels should be higher than what mine currently are (even though my dr. said they are within "normal" limits). I'm also going to continue taking my vitamin D. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
@Froreal3
You're more than welcome sis! :rose:

I know how you feel believe me. I still have the middle of my hair that like never grows and I could never just do a wash and go ever it looks ridiculous. I could try cutting back up and if I keep on getting shedding that is in fact what I am going to have to do. I don't think I will ever get layers again. But you can't really say that at my age bc who ever knows. Sisters sometimes have to get them for receding hair lines (bangs) etc. to look like a full head of hair. Or God forbid cancer or something and people have to shave their heads.

Best case scenario is that my terminal length is APL, and APL all one length thick hair would be just fine by me. So, I'm just going to keep on doing what I have been doing bc the length difference right now is ridiculous. The front's like almost BSL and the back is SL. Smdh.
:freakout:

Im in crochet braids again. I'd give the braider a B-. She was gentle with my cornrows, but put too much hair in my head and stuffed pieces that were too large in, so my scalp was really hurting. I asked her to make them smaller but she said the hair would get frizzy. I should have been more adamant, but she was right, the hair is frizzing up pretty fast and its only been 2.5 weeks. My plan was to last 6-8 weeks, but I think I will take them out after 5. I work out a lot and its hard to stuff in a ponytail, its just annoying. If I had the money I'd fly back to Bmore every 3 months and have my homie install my crochets, my hair look real when she did it, NO ONE could tell.

I'll probably stay in crochets the rest of this year if I can find someone I like. I really want some braids, but then I think about the take down and detangling time, and I change my mind.

My hair is slowly recovering from the 4 inch "trim" in december, but I feel like its not growing as fast as it used to. I haven't been taking great care of my ends (lots of blow drying with comb attachment this year) so the ends are kinda thin. I won't worry about a deep trim until I straighten it, and I have no idea when that will be. I will just dust in a few months and do a better job of keeping them healthy. My goal is to have 18" with healthy ends (measured from the nape) by the end of this year. I'd like 20" (waist length on me--full/blunt ends) by my birthday next august.

You could be right about weekly washing @Froreal3
Maybe unnecessary manipulation.

Even though I wash weekly. My hair seems to do just fine with washing biweekly.
Hope you soon find what works best growing out your hair.

I think I finally found a gel that speaks to my heart! I'm going to use 4 more times, but it's wash and go season. My Eco styler is #1, but my hair is soooo thick it takes forever to dry. This new gel I scrapped my pennies together for works with every single leave in conditioner I own including the generic one. It goes one like water too.

I say all this to say it's time for a trim and this one rapunzel patch at my nape has hit BSL. Drinking more water and actually getting more greens, yuck, in my diet along with this scalp spray are working. This pic is like a month old and I can't remember if I uploaded it sorry if it's a double. The of the top of my head is new growth over 2 and 1/2 months and it's not breakage.

What's the name of the gel? TIA!

Back