Vote for YOUR flatiron and post a review!!!

Which flat iron has given you the BEST results?

• Maxiglide

Votes: 128 22.8%
  • CHI

Votes: 122 21.7%
  • FHI

Votes: 78 13.9%
  • T3

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Sedu

Votes: 88 15.7%
  • Other ceramic iron (please list)

Votes: 83 14.8%
  • Other tourmaline iron (please list)

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Other iron (please list)

Votes: 27 4.8%

• Total voters
First, I'll say I voted for Chi. I have a 1", Chi Ceramic Tourmaline flat iron. Tourmaline is a crushed crystal that they apparently put on the heating rods that allows the iron to heat up and keep a constant heat even while pressing your hair. What happens with non-tourmaline irons, is the iron heats up to your desired setting. As you're flat ironing your hair, the heat is transferred from the flat iron, to your hair, causing the ceramic plates to cool down, meaning the iron must again reheat. So the iron is constantly in a state of flux, heating and re-heating to maintain a consistent tempature. While a Ceramic Tourmaline iron uses the tourmaline crystals to keep the heat of the ceramic plates consistent. No re-heating necessary.

I'm a 3c/4a natural head (about bra-strap length) and have found that generic irons do nothing for my hair. I would start with the back and move forward and by the time I had the front ironed, the back would be frizzing. NOT cool, after 1.5 hours of work. The Chi, despite it's price, I love. My hair was flat ironed in half the time, it didn't frizz and it made it through some all night club session in Vegas (you know - the heat on the back of the neck). What I found to be key was KMS' Anti-Humidity Seal. http://www.diamondbeauty.com/shopping/pricelist.asp?prid=20308

My take on the whole flat iron thing: it's not so much the brand but the composition of the hair iron. Notice folks are pretty much down to Sedu/Maxiglide (which are straight Ceramic Flat Irons) and Chi/Fhi/Solia (which are Ceramic+Tourmaline flat irons). Note: with Chi, it depends, because they make both a Ceramic (Chi Turbo - the black and red) and Ceramic Tourmaline (Chi Ultra).

When flat ironing, also make sure you're using some sort of silicone complex that protects the shaft of the hair and replenishes moisture after flat ironing.

I'm going to try the FHI for a comparison. The maxiglide, just ain't for me....but that's MY opinion.

I have also tried Solia and Hai Flat irons (Solia is tourmaline, Hai is not). Both worked well, but the Solia left my hair feeling super silky. The thing that's great about Solia is it also has balanced plates (that are able to shift with the way you're pulling the iron through your hair) to prevent snags.

Went out and bought the Maxiglide. I am not good at flat ironing but my hair loves it. My last touch up was Dec 18 and it look liked I had just gotten a touch up even though my roots were not all that straight but they straighten out enough to see the length. I was at brastrap. I have not used it anymore because my hair stayed straight for a week and I will be getting my touch up this weekend. I need her to see my new growth. I really want to get a Sedu for the roots but I rarely use heat.

Warning!
I bought my Solia on 2/17/06 and it worked very well! I plugged the **** up on 4/16 and it wouldn't turn on. I packed that ish up and mailed it right back to Folica.com....In spite of their 30 day return policy...Somebody gone do something!:mad: I dun wanna have to get ethnic!:mad:

Maxiglide!

- effortless... literally glided through my hair. (I went from airdried curly frizzy to sleek in seconds!!)
- got a nice press even with the iron "OFF"!! (turned it on to warm; turned it off then pressed my hair)
- detangling pins are the best!

Chi and I went to Armstrong Mcall Beauty Supply and bought a comb attachment and it is even better. It is compatible with the original Chi.I had my Chi for 5 years and if it breaks I would gladly purchase another!!!:cool: I purchased the Maxiglidde but returned it. I love the steam and my hair was soft and felt healthy but it was just too big for me. I only Chi once a month after fresh wash. If that.

Last edited:
I use KMS' Flat Out Heat Protectant Spray.

Heat setting?? I have the Chi Ceramic Tourmaline iron that has no heat setting (I know can you believe it?). I LOVE it.

I'm a 3c/4a, natural, bra strap length.

JamericanGurl said:
Warning!
I bought my Solia on 2/17/06 and it worked very well! I plugged the **** up on 4/16 and it wouldn't turn on. I packed that ish up and mailed it right back to Folica.com....In spite of their 30 day return policy...Somebody gone do something!:mad: I dun wanna have to get ethnic!:mad:

The same thing happened with my Solia, except mine gave me about 4 months use..... I am still waining on my return instructions from folica.com....:mad:

Needless to say, I did NOT wait for them, I got a BABYLISS PRO, and I absolutley love it!

Thanks to my sis for turnign me on to this flat iron...... It's great! One pass is all it takes, and it doesn't burn my fine 3c/4a hair.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Last edited:
I voted other ceramic. I have the replica of the CHI made by Sally's BSS. Only cost me 49.00 on sale. I think the original price is 69.00 compared to the 100.00 price for the actual CHI. It does a great job at straightening out my NG on a low setting. My Jiberes didn't do such a good job. I had to go over the same area twice. I'm sure if i had turned them up I could have had the same results but I don't like using too much heat.:ohwell: I understand the CHI does not have a setting for heat and the replicas do.

Okay... I know there are some CHI and FHI (sp?) lovers out there, but I absolutely love my jilbere tourmaline iron from Sally's. I thought I would at least try it before going out to buy a more expensive one. After one glide, I was convinced that I need no other. I apply Redkin Heat Glide, slide it over (once does the trick) and it looks like I just stepped out of the salon. It heats up QUICK and has 25 heat settings. I usually only use it on 5 or 10 and that's enough to get my hair super straight and shiny. For all those who want a GREAT iron, but don't want to dish out $$, try this one first!

I've never purchased a flat iron before. I'm a total newbie. What should I look for? I have 4a/b hair. I'd like to know more about the chi and maxiglide if anyone could tell me about these. Where can I look to purchase them and how much could i expect to pay? Also, I have two left hands so which one is the easier of the two to handle?:look:

I LOVE the Chi iron, and found it far superior to the T3 that I own.

I paid about $80 for my T3 online, and initially chose it over CHI because I heard CHI did not have a temperature control and I was concerned that I might fry my hair.

Over the months of using the T3, I found it did not really get my hair straight, and it took too many "pull throughs" to even get it reasonably straight.

After having one HECK of a bad hair day in court, I marched to the mall and purchased a CHI for $129.00. It was worth every penny!

Not only does it straighten my hair in less time, it even allows me to curl it under a little. I never knew how happy I would be getting the right flatiron. I do not flat iron my hair very often (once or twice a month) but I DO need it to work well when I do.

I am giving my T3 away to my sister......

I recently purchased the 1'' solia flat iron. I really do like it. My hair has not reverted and I was able to get it straight w/out w 1 @ the most 2 swipes. I paid $88 at folica for it.

I love my Maxiglide. The steam feature is amazing and I like that the plates are wide so it takes even less time to do my hair. I can use it on setting 1 and get great results with it in one pass. :cool:

CynamonKis said:
I LOVE the Chi iron, and found it far superior to the T3 that I own.

I paid about $80 for my T3 online, and initially chose it over CHI because I heard CHI did not have a temperature control and I was concerned that I might fry my hair.

Over the months of using the T3, I found it did not really get my hair straight, and it took too many "pull throughs" to even get it reasonably straight.

After having one HECK of a bad hair day in court, I marched to the mall and purchased a CHI for $129.00. It was worth every penny!

Not only does it straighten my hair in less time, it even allows me to curl it under a little. I never knew how happy I would be getting the right flatiron. I do not flat iron my hair very often (once or twice a month) but I DO need it to work well when I do.

I am giving my T3 away to my sister......

Which T3 were you using? TIA :)

I absolutely love my maxi and miniglide and I just purchase a HAI elite digistick ceramic flat iron. It is absolutely wonderful heats up extremely quick, no waiting and a has a cute design. I rate both of them 5 stars. They both get my hair really straight and shiny without much effort.

Lucia said:
Maxiglide, no work no blow frying no hasle, just let air dry in twists/braids and then glide and steam each section straight. The best flat iron ever.
ITA. Not only that it doesn't revert when I go outside.

devin said:
Awwwww man....now I don't what flat iron to get! I should never have read this thread! *Sighs and shakes head in confusion*:confused:

This is the way I'm feeling right now:(
I want a flatiron for when i take out my braids.
This is not helping me at all.:cry:

Sistaslick said:
Ya know! The CHI is old and played out... the FHI... now thats what you wanna go for...FHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII do or die...:lachen: when all this maxipad hype...oops, I mean maxiglide hype fades the FHI will still be on your side.:lachen: All hail the blazing red plates :notworthy :notworthy When you step out the door after a trist with your FHI, its gonna be :Flahsssss b/c thats how fly you will look:lol:

certified FHI rep# 3439772320

:eek::eek::eek::eek: :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Sista, you got me dying over here. i laughed so hard i almost fell off my computer chair!!

brownsugar9999 said:
FHI 207....life saver..although...I have collected a FEW flat irons....

**clearing my throat** you purchased only a few??:lachen:

I had that many irons when I was doing hair in a salon, wow, your bathroom looks like a mini salon:lol:

FHI all the way. I own two (1 1/4 inch variable heat) and was blessed enough to get my second one for 17.99 on ebay (brand new, INCLUDING shipping). I think everyone was asleep that day. My hair looks and feels just as soft, healthy, silky and bouncy as it did when I was a weekly salon addict. People always ask me who does my hair and I proudly say ME. FHI is the absolute BEST!!!

I have been using my CHI irons for almost two years. I think they are the best thing since sliced white bread!!! The arent bulky and they work wonders, even on natural hair!!! Just air dry and use my CHI irons and thats all I need. I wouldn't trade them for the world. :grin:

Wellllll.... I read all the posts :spinning: .... There are less comments about the FHI (to compare between the maxiglide and the CHI) but 100% positive comments except for the defective one... In other words, I see that FHI users are the most happy ones! I also definetly wanted tourmaline in my
flat iron.

So I'm gon' get myself a FHI :D !!!

Thanks for all the great reviews!

One last thing: what is the differce beween FHI 205RVI and 207RVI ????

Back