Vote for YOUR flatiron and post a review!!!

Which flat iron has given you the BEST results?

• Maxiglide

Votes: 128 22.8%
  • CHI

Votes: 122 21.7%
  • FHI

Votes: 78 13.9%
  • T3

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Sedu

Votes: 88 15.7%
  • Other ceramic iron (please list)

Votes: 83 14.8%
  • Other tourmaline iron (please list)

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Other iron (please list)

Votes: 27 4.8%

• Total voters
After reading this thread I decided on the FHI with the variable temp. control. I just used it for the first time and WOW! My hair looks great. I used it on 300 degrees and it came out nice with only one pass.

How are you protecting your ends? I bought a ceramic iron but the ends and the rest of my hair is still frizzy, any advice?

ebonyhall1999

CHI

I had a regular ol' Cheapie Ceramic Conair that I got at WalMart.

I upgraded to a CHI but It makes my hair stink :nono: (smells burnt) I'd like to know what you all use when you flat iron your hair with the high quality irons.

Does your hair smell over-cooked?:confused:

I never had stinky hair with my trusty old Conair. :perplexed

H E L P ! ! !

Wow, :spinning: I can honestly say my brain hurts! :hammer: I thought I was almost sure of what flat iron I wanted to get prior to reading this thread. It was gonna be either Sedu or Solia. The only thing I needed to negotiate was the size (1" or 1.25"?) But after making my way through the thread, Sedu is no longer even an option. I know I want the tourmaline plates, so Solia's still on the list...now buddied up with FHI.

The thing is, I've already tried Solia, so I already know I'll probably like it. The only reason I'm unsure is because the demo I got was in a salon where the stylist used the Solia after she went over the hair with an oven iron. So I can't really say if the Solia is the real deal or not. :confused: Anyway, FHI got impressive reviews from some fellow hair types...So I guess I'm leaning more towards that one. These irons are too expensive to be purchasing the wrong one! I'll have to do a lil' more research. :fan:

I like the Jilbere ceramic flat iron which I've only used once so far on my natural hair. It's very easy to use and didn't damage my hair. After I washed my natural hair, my hair texture reverted back!

I hated the Maxiglide! I used it once back when I was transitioning. It was too big to maneuver. I sold it after using it once.

meaganita said:
Wow, :spinning: I can honestly say my brain hurts! :hammer:

:lol: I know, right? Looking at the poll makes the decisions even tougher. I just knew this thread was going to give me some clear indication of which iron would be right for me, but um, I had no such luck. :lol:

Wow! I can't believe there aren't more Sedu lovers on the board. I voted for Sedu, the Revolution 1" to be specific. This is the REAL DEAL!!!

I had a serious setback recently. On Feb 23, I had my stylist color my hair with a caramel mix. My hair was absolutely GORGEOUS and had life! Prior to the color, I hadn't had a relaxer since Dec 12. My hair was in such good shape, and very manageable, so I considered stretching relaxers until July 1. When March came around, I decided to tag along with a friend to Los Angeles for about 5 days. I started thinking, hmmm, the weather will probably be much warmer than here in Detroit at that time. I figured I should get a relaxer to ensure my hair was manageable while on vacation. I got a touch-up on Mar 23, the day I flew to Cali, and exactly 4 weeks after the color treatment. As my stylist was shampooing my hair, she noticed a lot of strands in the bowl. Closer examination revealed a patch of my hair was missing! Thank God it was in the back where I could hide it. The rest of my hair was suspect as well. While I didn't go bald, I could instantly tell a difference in texture. My hair was severely damaged. It didn't want to respond to any corrective action. My color appeared dull and dark and my hair didn't move (it's shoulder length). Even with my weekly DC treatments and using my CHI, I was still getting serious breakage daily. I only used my CHI once a week and wrapped my hair every night, but I was still suffering. Additionally, the CHI seemed to make my hair stiff, hard and tired looking.I decided I needed to do SOMETHING, so I turned to the web again. I have been pondering the idea of getting an FHI for a while. But I recently came across a few sites that had rave reviews on the Sedu. So I dug deeper into it and signed up for e-mail updates. Lo and behold, last Tuesday I received an e-mail from Folica that they were running a special on the Sedu Revolution. It had a slightly reduced price, free gifts and free shipping. I jumped on it and never looked back! I got my Sedu on Friday. I already had Ojon RHT in hair overnight so I was planning to do my weekly wash/DC routine anyway by the time I got the package.

AMAZING RESULTS!!! My Sedu left my hair feeling extremely soft, silky and tangle-free. I can't stop running my fingers through it. It is an AWESOME product. My hair has been resurrected, it moves effortlessly again, and my color is in true form again. My friend that I accompanied to Cali asked me on Sunday if I lightened my hair. I said "No, it's my new flat iron". The BEST benefit: the breakage has significantly been reduced!!! I am in LOVE!!! This is the beginning of my hair recovery and I pray that it leads me to long, healthy tresses!!!

Next purchase: Sedu UltraSilent Blow Dryer

Last edited:
I bought a knockoff "Chi" from Sally's and it works just fine for me.

I used Silk Elements heat protectant, no burning hair or funny smell.

ETA if my "Chi" ever goes south on me, I'll be purchasing an FHI. SistaSlick's pics said it all.

Last edited:
:perplexed Now I'm super confused. I know the CHI worked really really well on my hair at the salon... but yall make the FHI sound really good! ughhhhhhhh.....

... They are probably pretty similar.. ahha eenie meenie minee MOE

I appreciate the reviews though...

Sally's Ion Conditioning Ionic Ceramic iron with Tourmaline power... got everything in one swipe and it felt pretty silky, but I think I may take it back and get the SEDU!!!

This is a good post. I have been thinking about upgrading and this saves me the trouble of googling for reviews. My friend just bought a FHI and has been raving about it. Some of my friends have Chi's and love it. I have heard of Sedu but did not know much about. So keep the reviews coming ladies.

another FHI lover here.

Used it today for the first time. I set it to 230 degrees (it heated up in less than 10 seconds) and it just glided through my hair and didn't burn my scalp at all. It added a lot of shine and made my hair really smooth and soft. My only complaint is that my hair got caught in it a few times and got pulled out but this is definitely the best iron I've ever used.

CHI is da truth! this iron is fire, I had a iron that i got from wal-mart and hated and didn't see the since in buying an expenseve flat iron, I even teased my sister in law when she bought hers- untill....... I got my hair done and the stylist used a CHI to do it, I had never seen my hair look that good-and it was on salt too! This thing is my new best friend;however,I am trying to stay away frow heat now:nono:

As much as I love my FHI Runway and believe that you can't go wrong with investing in a quality flat iron, I am thinking about buying a Maxiglide because of its steam properties and how it uses a different process to straighten hair.
:scratchch

I have a maxiglide (and no complaints... i love it)... but i've been wanting a sedu for a long time... but now the FHI is sounding good too...

I think i may have to save for a Sedu... and try to get someone to give me a FHI for christmas...

that way i can have my cake... and straight hair too!!!

Ok, I voted for Maxi Glide but I do have a FHI and honestly I like them both for different reasons and I use them in different ways:

I like the FHI because it it thin and I can do my roots after a rollerset, no problem, not tugging or pulling hair as I got with the Maxi. I have never tried to airdry my hair then flat iron with the FHI so I can't compare it to the Maxi in that sense.

I like the Maxi because I was able to air dry and flat iron and get incredible results at 8-9 weeks. I went out an purchased the MAXI when I was due for a touchup just to test it out....I wanted to extend and "save money" and the MAXI got my hair soooo straight/pin straight and it repelled humidity really nicely ( its actually one of the pic in my new album/ the Yellow dress I have on with blue writing on my face...this was a MAXI result) I was able to extend at 11 or 12 weeks I think

I am torn because I like the MAXI for the amazing results but I tend not to do this often to much direct heat I feel.......I don't like the "comb" attachment because I feel like I see too much hair on the iron......but I do understand its purpose especially when air drying....what I do to prevent alot of pullin I precomb the hair gently... I like the FHI because I can get very close and it feels easier to handle when doin roots.....Well I guess I don't have to choose ( since my greedy arse has both :) I'll just use them differently and see....

As a matter of fact, the MAXI is good to me when I don't feel like rollersetting and the FHI is good when I don't feel like blowdrying my roots and at 9 + weeks....

I voted for Maxiglide. I just purchased this a few weeks ago and I've used it on my daughter and boy did it get her hair straight! :grin: I only had to "pass" over it once and it took almost a week to start reverting. I had been using a conair ceramic and it did not compare to the maxiglide. I used the steam on one section of her hair but I find that it reverted almost instantly so I did the rest of her hair w/o steam and it came out beautifully. I think for naturals, the maxiglide is the way to go. There's definitely something to be said for those detangling pins.:yep:

I just purchased and used the Ion 1" conditioning Ionic-ceramic Digital Styling Iron from Sally's, for about 90 dollars. It is in a blue and silver package. It goes up to 450, I used 350.

After washing with Loreal unfrizz shampoo and conditioner, I used a little Keracare AND Star Lacio Lacio as leave in, with some IC heat protectant. I dried under my ION spaceman bonnet, and then proceeded to flat iron.

That think gets HOT!! And the plates are so good, and my hair prepared so well, there was hardly any friction at all so it was difficult to reposition my hands in time to get the curls I want - it will take practice. One pass straightening, lovely curls--- and a burnt finger tip! I like it.:yep:

:nono:Awww...mine is never on here!

I voted other.

My Jilbere flat iron is the best. I get smooth silky results on medium to low heat.
I'm so in love right now:rolleyes:

I still love the Maxiglide, it makes my hair very straight in one pass when using the plate withthe pins.

I just recently purchased the Chi, it's okay so I guess I like. I used it to curl my hair after straightening withthe Maxiglide and it didn't take long to curl and my hair came out even more silkier.

Solia all the way! I have a 1" Solia and I love it! My hair always feels soft and silky after I use it. It gets my hair silky straight with one swipe(I never do more than one), very easy to maneuver with, gets to my roots and also curls. I would definitely repurchase.

Corioliss Flat Iron is now my new favorite, I was reading a thread on flat irons and I went to ebay and did a search and got one for $29.99. I applied some Chi Silk Infussion and man...:look:

Back