Vote for YOUR flatiron and post a review!!!

Which flat iron has given you the BEST results?

• Maxiglide

Votes: 128 22.8%
  • CHI

Votes: 122 21.7%
  • FHI

Votes: 78 13.9%
  • T3

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Sedu

Votes: 88 15.7%
  • Other ceramic iron (please list)

Votes: 83 14.8%
  • Other tourmaline iron (please list)

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Other iron (please list)

Votes: 27 4.8%

• Total voters
I have a Rusk 1/2 inch and I LOVE IT! I looked into the Rusk products after HoneyDew talked about her blow dryer. I was going to purchase a FHI, but I am very happy with this little puppy. Since I am transitioning and it has been since May that I had any type of chemical, this one gets very close to my roots and straightens with the first pass. I use the Phyto heat protector, Shine and Nourish with a few drops of the Hair Serum both by Jane Carter.

i vote for the sedu... this is the only expensive flat iron i have ever gotten but it really does the job for me and i feel the damage to my hait is very minimal to none if done right. i have only used it a handful of times but it does the job and well. my hair comes out very silky it also doesnt revert easily if properly put up at night. also this stuff really does a great job heating up fast and its very lightweight. i thought about trying another one out but i have just gotten the hang of this, it straightens my hair wonderfuly and i only have it on a setting of about 320

I had to replace my chi flat iron recently (due to an electric converter outage) and replaced it with a no name brand (well it's not a popular brand anyway) that was made in asia. Here are some pics of how straight it gets my hair.

IMG_6140-vi.jpg

IMG_6151-vi.jpg

btw I love it!!! :love:

so i had been hearing way 2 much about this flat iron on lhcf
i finally broke down and cheated on my chi - lol!
the verdict: the maxiglide is the truth!!!!!it even gets the roots!
i didn't even want my hair this straight!!!

i love my chi but it never got my ends this str8!!!!
i will use my chi for touchups but i am sold on the maxiglide!

i set my maxiglide on 3-4 and used it on airdried braids
i think next time i may just dry in 2 ponytails
so i have less curls/waves to comb out

here is a pic
Picture018-vi.jpg

Maxiglide was great, BUT,

The coating on the plates is beginning to peel off. I've only had it for 1 year, and have used it less than 12 times. :mad: So, I will NOT be buying another one.

So after starting this thread and much deliberation, I decided to get Maxiglide. The first time I used it, it did an "ok" job nd the time after that, I blew my hair out with a comb attachment (:eek:) then I used the MG and my hair was very straight.

The problem is that I don't want nor need to be using that much heat on my hair whenever I want a straight style. It was just too much work & too much heat.

So, I tried to use it 3-4 more times, and I was always unhappy with how poofy & frizzy my hair turned out. So I decided to try the Jilbere de Paris Ceramic Tools iron, and I have been SO happy with it. I can airdry my hair, and quickly go through it with this iron...the whole process takes all of 20 minutes. With the MG, it took me over an hour!!! :nono:

So, the MG gets a :down: from me, but the Jilbere gets a :up: :lol:

I am so glad you posted this. Jilbere was the first iron I purchased, and it really worked very well, comparable to the more expensive irons I have tried, and it was aroiund $30 at Sally's.

Divine Inspiration said:
So after starting this thread and much deliberation, I decided to get Maxiglide. The first time I used it, it did an "ok" job nd the time after that, I blew my hair out with a comb attachment (:eek:) then I used the MG and my hair was very straight.

The problem is that I don't want nor need to be using that much heat on my hair whenever I want a straight style. It was just too much work & too much heat.

So, I tried to use it 3-4 more times, and I was always unhappy with how poofy & frizzy my hair turned out. So I decided to try the Jilbere de Paris Ceramic Tools iron, and I have been SO happy with it. I can airdry my hair, and quickly go through it with this iron...the whole process takes all of 20 minutes. With the MG, it took me over an hour!!! :nono:

CynamonKis said:
I am so glad you posted this. Jilbere was the first iron I purchased, and it really worked very well, comparable to the more expensive irons I have tried, and it was aroiund $30 at Sally's.

Yep. I get salon results with it, and it only cost me about $45. I'm very pleased with the purchase. :)

I have a FHI and love it dearly!!! I considered the CHI but I didnt want to take the risk without temperature control. How do you CHI owners manage?

For the FHI users, there is an FHI flatiron on the HSN (home shopping network) website but in the description it doesn't say if there is a temperature adjustment and really doesn't give tons of info. It is a FHI Heat Platform 1" Professional Styling Iron with Nano Technology , it has the red plates like Sistaslick mentioned. I want a flat iron and I've never used one so I want to get one that won't be a hassle and one that's best for relaxed (4a) hair. I was going to get the maxiglide but it looks like it might be difficult to use. They also have the maxiglide on the HSN. com website. the link below goes to the picture of the FHI iron if you can't open the link then just go to www.hsn.com then choose beauty/ then hair care/ then styling tools and you'll see a few flat irons. there's also a vidal sassoon flat iron that I'm eyeballing. please help me out ladies. http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default...bs&dept=bs0025&cat=bs0029&prev=hp!sf!dept!cat

For the Maxiglide users, do you think it;s a good took to use on relaxed hair and does it work well with the smooth plate that comes with it?

I also have a question, are the flatirons with gold plates better or worse than plates that are other colors (black, purple, red, etc.)? I have a co-worker who has a CHI with gold plates and she said it burns her hair so she got a new one with black plates (I don't remember the brand) and said it works better for her. Thanks in advance for your responses:)!

My CHI does not have temperature control but I think it may have an internal temperature set because it never over heats or burns my hair.

I was afraid to get anything with temperture control because I might set it too high. One time many years ago I flat ironed my sister's hair w/ a curling iron that had temperature control and I did not realize I set it too high and when I curled her hair which was only about 8 seconds, her hair was stuck to the curling iron and burned off :look:

Miosy I had this concern too, which is why I first purchased a T3. But although the T3 had temperature control, it DID NOT straighten my hair sufficiently, so I purchased a CHI. I am happy with the Chi but I am beginning to believe that WHAT I use as a heat protectant has a lot to do with my results as well as which flat iron.

Miosy said:
My CHI does not have temperature control but I think it may have an internal temperature set because it never over heats or burns my hair.

I was afraid to get anything with temperture control because I might set it too high. One time many years ago I flat ironed my sister's hair w/ a curling iron that had temperature control and I did not realize I set it too high and when I curled her hair which was only about 8 seconds, her hair was stuck to the curling iron and burned off :look:

I think the right products gives you straigher her too. When I use a bit of redken heat guide and qhemet olive oil detangler, I get bone straight hair as if I relaxed bone straight. I get better results when I mix these two as oppose to useing heat glide alone.

Divine Inspiration said:

Thank you for posting this (I saw some other ladies had purchased this as well)....my head was swimming, but I made it through the whole thread:lol:

The MG seems very intimidating (seems too big, dayum teeth) especially for someone who doesn't have a load of hair, such as myself.

This, both in make up and price, seems right up my line. I think this will be my purchase.

Good thread because I needed help. I didn't want to pay a lot as I don't use heat often but I wanted a quality product.

ETA: I copped the Jilbere on ebay for 21.98; can't wait to try out. I hope I will have great results as well. :D...

Last edited:
I don't know if I posted on this or not, but I have almost every flat iron out there. I have the maxiglide (not my favorite, but I did like it for a while). I love my Sedu. My hair gets very straight, and even if I airdry it (which I can't seem to do lately).

I have the jilbere de paris tourmaline and I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT it leaves my hair so Shiny and it gets it sooooooo straight. Salleys $60. and well worth it!

I love my new Solia!!!! It glides down my hair so easily and I don't even need to use a high temperature setting on my 6.5 month transitioning hair. I can use anywhere between 300 & 370 degrees and my hair straightens just fine! I just :love: it!

This it the flat iron I have. It regularly cost over $100 but I got it at the thrift store for a $1. It works perfectly but doesn't have temperature control. Which is fine because I really don't use direct heat anymore especially now that I am on the Boot camp challenge.

It's called the Gis Kenta.

Attachments

• kenta.gif
    kenta.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 7
I own a Sedu and I love it. The first time I used it I wasn't really conviced. The second time I turned up the heat and used CHI silk infusion and it was simply amazing. My hair was so silky and straight basicaly pin straight. I have very thick hair and altough it is fully relaxed it is curly. I haven't put up the pics in my album but I will soon. So my vote is for Sedu:yay:

TSUprincess04 said:
I love my new Solia!!!! It glides down my hair so easily and I don't even need to use a high temperature setting on my 6.5 month transitioning hair. I can use anywhere between 300 & 370 degrees and my hair straightens just fine! I just :love: it!

I just ordered this. Hopefully I get the same results.

Bluerhapzody said:
I have the jilbere de paris tourmaline and I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT it leaves my hair so Shiny and it gets it sooooooo straight. Salleys $60. and well worth it!

Okay, nice to see that this flat iron is getting good reviews -- I feel good about my purchase (that didn't break my wallet):)

Maxiglide hands down!!! I used last year to help streatch my relaxers and it gets my hair straight from new growth on down. It's the best. I even used it on my daughters hair, she has very wavy hair..2c/3a hair, not sure, anyway, her hair came out straight, bouncy and not fried. I love maxiglide, I think it is a good alternative to the Hot Comb...

I vote CHI. I have been doing really good with not using heat in my hair since I started relaxing. Heat was a part of my everyday routine in HS and first 2 years of college. So so so much damage. Now that I found this site I stay away from it as much as possible. However last night I was w/ some girlfriends and she had a CHI. I fell in love!!! I only did on little piece and I only had to go over it once. It made my hair feel so smooth. She used to work at a beauty store so she is going to get it for me for $80!!! But Im only going to whip it out on special occasions.

My Chi is now 3 years old. I haven't had any problems with it. In fact, last time I used it (3-4 months ago) I got the same silky results. I was looking to buy a new iron and was considering the Sedu, but it seems to me that it is only hyped on folica.com. So... I just bought a pink CHI on ebay for $74.50! I'm so excited.

Last edited:
Wow, the CHI and Maxiglide are neck and neck...interesting. Too bad the MG didn't work for me...others seem to have really great results with it.

Back