Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

I'm going to have to drop out of this challenge. My hair and regular twists just do not get along. My ends feel horrible. I didn't have these problems when I was much more low manipulation, so I'm going back to my wash-n-gos.

Good luck ladies!

Question from the sidelines:

Are you ladies stretching your hair for your twists by letting them air dry in chunky twists or blowing it out?

Retwisted my hair using the same methods and products. So happy this is working for me! I've decided to stick with 48 twists until next fall and then go down to 32. Hopefully my hair will be 6+ inches longer, and the bigger twists won't look bad.

Retwisted my hair using the same methods and products. So happy this is working for me! I've decided to stick with 48 twists until next fall and then go down to 32. Hopefully my hair will be 6+ inches longer, and the bigger twists won't look bad.

I think I am going to figure out how many twists look good and do what you are doing just stick with that number for a while. I have been doing mini twists but I know I can get by with bigger ones. Now just to figure out how many.

hmmm... I think I am going the braiding way...I think they will stay in longer and give me more length...I think I can still stay in this group though cuz it gives a braids alternative. Will wait for twists until in get more length :)

Are you ladies stretching your hair for your twists by letting them air dry in chunky twists or blowing it out?

I usually air dry & stretch my hair in 1 single pony. Sometimes I air dry in twists or braids if i'm going to wear it out.

Counting your twists? I can't. at any given moment portions of my hair will or won't cooperate. When I start twisting I never have a style, method or count of twists planned...I kind of just "let it happen" This week I started twisting and ended up with a head full of mini twists! DEFINITELY not planned...i'm scared about the takedown:drunk:

Last edited:
I think I am going to figure out how many twists look good and do what you are doing just stick with that number for a while. I have been doing mini twists but I know I can get by with bigger ones. Now just to figure out how many.

I had never done twists before so it helped me to start with a plan. I always do my hair in quarter sections, so I figured 12 per section would give me even twists. If I just grabbed sections and started twisting I'd probably have some chunky twists and some medium twists, depending on how I felt in that moment. Probably not a good look.

[USER=202140 said:
Poutchi[/USER];14503197]hmmm... I think I am going the braiding way...I think they will stay in longer and give me more length...I think I can still stay in this group though cuz it gives a braids alternative. Will wait for twists until in get more length :)

As long as the braids are all your hair you are good. I actually thought about braids last night but think they will look better on me when my hair is a few inches longer and I can pull them back.

I usually air dry & stretch my hair in 1 single pony. Sometimes I air dry in twists or braids if i'm going to wear it out.

Counting your twists? I can't. at any given moment portions of my hair will or won't cooperate. When I start twisting I never have a style, method or count of twists planned...I kind of just "let it happen" This week I started twisting and ended up with a head full of mini twists! DEFINITELY not planned...i'm scared about the takedown:drunk:
This my friend, is why I started counting my twists. I'm naturally inclined to make them smaller and if I'm not careful, I'll have 80-100 twists. Since I tend to leave my mini twists a little too long for take down to be a breeze, I had to cut that out.

These days, I'm trying not to exceed 50 twists and it takes me about 2-2.5 minutes per twist.

From peeking in this challenge so often, I'm going to attempt to do some twists this weekend. Wish me luck!

As long as the braids are all your hair you are good. I actually thought about braids last night but think they will look better on me when my hair is a few inches longer and I can pull them back.
Yes FaithVa, they will be all my hair because I kept kinky twists in for 4 months and my edges suffered from that...sooo no more extension hair , bein a good girl :). I did do a braid out and it is definitily more defined than my twist outs...and also the hair is more stretched so it gives me more length
Hope u re having a great day :)

Detangled and sealed with castor oil and twisted into chunky twists last night and stretched them in ponytails. Will probably go section by section and twist small ones later today.

I airdry in large twists and then create smaller sections of those and retwist. I do EVERYTHING in twists!

Side comment: I'm amazed by you ladies who know how many twists are on your head. I've never counted. Just grab and go.

True... I never count the braids or twists in my hair... I am too lazy for that lol. Btw...When is this challenge finishing? Just curious

Ladies we are half way through the challenge. Its time to take your update photo. Please take a progress photo between today and November 15th to capture your progress.

If you joined after October 15th please make sure you have a starting shot. You won't need a middle shot due to the timeframe.

Remember at the end of the challenge we will be posting our starting, mid-way and ending twist shots.

And if you haven't updated us in a while, since September, please give us an update on what's going on with your twists.

NappyNelle , Sesi, Sianna, Seamonster, youwillrise, judy4all, OndoGirl

sikora, PaigeJessica, Krystle~Hime, NaijaNaps, SouthernStunner,

Iluvsmuhgrass, 13StepsAhead, FroFab, MaraWithLove, catt86, LaBelleLL

ecadnacmc, PYT, lolascurls, LOVEs_Harmony, discodumpling, lovenharmony

pookaloo83, Imoan, Kenny-Ann, that1girl, SimJam, Bublin, Reminiscing

adamson, ladykpnyc, YoursTrulyRE, Ronnieaj, Poutchi, Tibbar

I think i'm going to try and do this challenge. I've never worn my twist out, and styled so i'm really excited

True... I never count the braids or twists in my hair... I am too lazy for that lol. Btw...When is this challenge finishing? Just curious

This challenge ends in December 31st. However, ladies that need to end it prior to the 31st just give us your end date when you post your progress picks. So feel free to post your progress pics and updates starting December 10th.

I know some ladies may need to end it early because of other challenges they are in.

1. Your go to twist style
-i usually just do individual twists and keep them under a bonnet and beret throughout the week

2. Your twist care regimen
-light spritz with water/aloe vera/castor oil mix, then moisturize with curl smoothie, baggie overnight, and seal with castor oil in the morning

3. What you hope to achieve by December
-Longer hair, slightly past armpit length, better twisting skills, softer healthier hair

Anything else you would like to share.
-I'm so excited to start this challenge!! i will probably continue it throughout the rest of the year

I will post a picture this weekend when i do my first set of twists!

tonight i'm rinsing & conditioning (ao white camellia). ends of twists still hidden. nothing too new to report. i'm re-doing my twists on october 31, so i'll post a picture on that day.

hmmm not sure how Im gonna do my comp pic, the pic I took sept 9 was on blown out hair and Ive stopped blowing out my hair for twists.

second pic was Oct 2 were done on wet hair, hmmmmm I may do another blow out for my twists at the end of the challenge so I can do an overall comparrison.

Today is my hair out day and I'm retwisting tomorrow; I will post an update pic then as well as previous pics for comparison! :)

In week 2 of my twist, moisturized today with Shea Moistures hold and shine spritz and sealed with my castor/almond oil mix.

Back