Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

Second day of my twistout. I had it in a puff then took it down Wasn't feeling it.

21129afe-1.jpg

adc887ad.jpg

e3d1015c.jpg

Your twistouts are cute Pooka!!!

Re-did my flat twists last night. Spritzed with water to dampen and then m&s sealing with castor oil. I feel like I look homely but my ends are put away and protected so i'm digging it. This should make for a beautiful twistout too.

IMAG0147.jpg

I’d like to join this challenge.
I’ve been twisting my hair since August and plan to continue through at least December, possibly longer. I have not worn my hair out since the summer. I’m doing 2 strand twists which I re-do at a minimum of once a week -- sometimes sooner if they start looking crazy. I usually pin and/or tuck them up for work and wear headbands and / or hair accessories for decoration. I don’t have an official hair care regimen yet (newbie!) so I’m using products I have on hand, and I’m washing once a week (in braids) followed by deep conditioning and I try to moisturize & seal my ends at least every other day. I finger detangle and try to keep my hands out of my hair the rest of the time. I have a patch in the front where my hair is very thin and I’m trying a variety of things just in that area (homemade sulfur mix, JBCO, AVG, homemade oil mix etc.) to thicken it up.

~~ Checking the posts of others in the challenge for inspiration and just hoping for healthier hair at the end.
Attached are photos of some of my ‘twist-dos’

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-09-28 at 15.36.jpg
    Photo on 2011-09-28 at 15.36.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010617.jpg
    P1010617.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010621-1.jpg
    P1010621-1.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010637.jpg
    P1010637.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010644.jpg
    P1010644.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 31
I’d like to join this challenge.
I’ve been twisting my hair since August and plan to continue through at least December, possibly longer. I have not worn my hair out since the summer. I’m doing 2 strand twists which I re-do at a minimum of once a week -- sometimes sooner if they start looking crazy. I usually pin and/or tuck them up for work and wear headbands and / or hair accessories for decoration. I don’t have an official hair care regimen yet (newbie!) so I’m using products I have on hand, and I’m washing once a week (in braids) followed by deep conditioning and I try to moisturize & seal my ends at least every other day. I finger detangle and try to keep my hands out of my hair the rest of the time. I have a patch in the front where my hair is very thin and I’m trying a variety of things just in that area (homemade sulfur mix, JBCO, AVG, homemade oil mix etc.) to thicken it up.

~~ Checking the posts of others in the challenge for inspiration and just hoping for healthier hair at the end.
Attached are photos of some of my ‘twist-dos’

Welcome Tibbar. We are glad to have you.

Now when I wear my out for those 2 days, I see the length that I'm retaining. It's definitely getting longer since I've started this challenge. Anyone else noticing a length change?

gotta update on my whole ends hiding deal.

so i had my ends hidden for 11 days straight. in those 11 days, i rinsed & conditioned twice, i think? and dc'ed once. i baggied pretty much every night minus 1 or 2. throughout all those processes, my ends remained hidden and untouched by my hands. i finally took them down on friday night to do a more thorough cleanse & dc...and when i took them down, my ends were well moisturized and lubricated. i'm still in the trial phase...trying it for another round to see if results are as desirable next time around. so far...so good. like i said, trying to drastically reduce manipulation to my ends. when i was doing my hair on friday, i didnt seem to "pull out" as much hair as i usually do on wash days...but i dunno if it was the ends hiding thing or not.

i will put new twists in my hair on october 31. probably try for a smaller size this time. so that will be the next time my ends come out of their hiding places.

Last edited:
Week three of these twists and they are ready to come down. I'm going to try washing with the twists in order to keep these partings. I'll redo the individual twists when my hair is dry.

I am going to wear my twists for another week but they are pretty fuzzy. My twists just don't last long. This week I will probably wear them down for the first two days, up for the last 3 days and then a twist out for 2 days.

Quick check-in. I had the chunky twists last week which I wore for a couple of days then did a twist-out for 2 days. I washed then pulled into a pony which I then twisted from the elastic on down in about 10 twists and bunned those. Just tied down and smoothed over for the week. I took down the twisted bun and cowashed yesterday and am debating which twist style to do. I really want to try that single head twist that longhairdontcare does on her youtube but I don't want to go through the hassle of blowdrying which is what I'd have to do.

Dc with yogurt acv and rhassoul yesterday. Airdried in a pony with 1 single twist as a bang so I could be truthful in this challenge! Dealing with a sick cranky baby today so who knows when ill have a chance to twist it all up...

Yes my hair is growing from my new regi and this challenge. I think I've spent a total of $30 to $40 on hair care since we started this challenge...its not only good for my hair but great for my wallet!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

I'm in the second week of these twists and they are starting to bug me :lol:. I'm having that desire to take them out but not giving into it. My scalp does need a good rinsing though so if I get home early enough I will rinse and then oil them up again. We will see.

I have my first set of twist on...But I just learn today that when done on wet hair, they sruncken too much...oh well...lesson learned :)... I twist with flax seed gel and it is awesome

I have my first set of twist on...But I just learn today that when done on wet hair, they sruncken too much...oh well...lesson learned :)... I twist with flax seed gel and it is awesome

Poutchi, You can still stretch your twist by either banding them, taking sections and corn rowing them or taking sections and making flat twists. Pulling them back into buns or ponytails also stretches them.

You will find what works for you over time.

I keep lurking in this thread. I'm just gonna go ahead and sub to see what great tips I can get from you ladies. KUTGW!!

Retwisted my hair last night, It looks pretty decent. I'll post pics later. But for some reason, I lost alot of hair when I was twisting. I believe because my hair was a really tangled mess from not taking down the shed hairs after I took my twists down. The shed hair got tangled into my own hair and I lost a little. It wasn't that much, but I was still a lil disappointed.

I've been following this thread for awhile, so I'll also join.

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style)

I normally wear my hair twisted loose or in a twisted bun

Your twist care regimen
My routine is wash, deep condition w/ Giovanni Deep Moisture Conditioner (I also use this as a leave in…Don't rinse out). Place hair into about 15 chunky twist and let hair air dry. I undo 1 dry twist at a time, apply heat protectant and blow dry. Once blow dried, apply Elasta Mango Butter and World of Curls jheri curl gel and twist. Cover w/bonnet at night and shower cap when taking a shower. Twist last for 17 days w/out needing to reapply product. No dryness or tangles.

What you hope to achieve by December.

I'm currently grazing BSL (stretched). Would like to be BSL by Dec.

Anything else you would like to share.

Looking forward to learning from fellow twisties :)

My current twist:

IMG_0562-1.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

I cowashed my twists and they seem to have survived. I never do this. But they were already fuzzy and my scalp needed some water. So going to let them drip dry a bit and then apply some oil and shea butter to seal. Hopefully they will look fine in the morning.

But if they don't :ohwell: they will just get pulled back into a bun. :yep:

hmmm I think these twists are not making the full week...However when they come appart the loom like comb coils...so I might just pull them appart tonight and cowash whithout detangling and rock a comb coils like style for the end of the week ... This morning was a hard one where i asked mysel why i am doing this to my hair...i just feel like i am not longer beautiful and look like a little boy :(...

Sorry for being M.I.A for a while, l have been :crazy: busy. BUT I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THE RULES: Here are some pictures of my shrunken twists, I did them on wet hair after dc w/ AG Rhassoul Bar in Banana. Then washed w/ Terressentials mud in sulty spice (all of them seem to work well for me). Moisturized w/ QB Burdock Root Butter Cream and Shea Butter. Then twisted. My hair is bsl, but my shrinkage is CRAZY!!

Here are some pictures:

185739_671525954530_8900199_35482462_4278742_n.jpg

I'll be taking my twists down, oiling, washing, dcing, and re-twisting tonight. It's going to be a long process but I've got some youtube videos to watch so I'm ready.

hmmm I think these twists are not making the full week...However when they come appart the loom like comb coils...so I might just pull them appart tonight and cowash whithout detangling and rock a comb coils like style for the end of the week ... This morning was a hard one where i asked mysel why i am doing this to my hair...i just feel like i am not longer beautiful and look like a little boy :(...

I think I understand where you are. I hope it was just a rough morning and that it will pass. Not sure what you are currently doing but make yourself feel like fiyah with some nice earrings, some lipstick and if you need some hair jewelry get some to give your twist some pizzazz. Sometimes just pinning a different way can make all the difference.

Hope it helps at least a little.

Sorry I've been MIA, but I've been doing well. I took my twists down last Friday after 3 weeks and THOROUGHLY detangled. That was not pretty :nono:. But for 3 weeks, I guess I lost the amount of hair I expected. I DC'd with AO GPB overnight on dry hair, washed the following morning and did an oil rinse for a more thorough detangle. I twisted on wet hair and then braided it to stretch them some. I also braided the top of each twist, so hopefully they won't get as absurdly fuzzy as they were the last time. Braiding gives the twists a nice curl, I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I plan to have these in for another 3 weeks.

I think I understand where you are. I hope it was just a rough morning and that it will pass. Not sure what you are currently doing but make yourself feel like fiyah with some nice earrings, some lipstick and if you need some hair jewelry get some to give your twist some pizzazz. Sometimes just pinning a different way can make all the difference.

Hope it helps at least a little.

Thanks bunches FaithVA... It is probably just a phase and will pass soon enough. At least I can always bun it up. I have been keeping my hair in braids ever since I BCed back in june and i think it took a toll on my edges...I am planing a trip to my home country in africa and was existed about getting some braids in again but now i am too afraid it is going to break my edges even more...we will see. How is your hair journey coming up?

Thanks bunches FaithVA... It is probably just a phase and will pass soon enough. At least I can always bun it up. I have been keeping my hair in braids ever since I BCed back in june and i think it took a toll on my edges...I am planing a trip to my home country in africa and was existed about getting some braids in again but now i am too afraid it is going to break my edges even more...we will see. How is your hair journey coming up?

I am glad you have some options. Definitely be gentle on those edges.

My hair journey is going very well. Much better than last year. I achieved a lot and learned a lot this year. So I am excited to have some length next year and to start wearing some new styles. :lol: Thanks for asking.

Looking good ladies... I retwisted my hair this weekend... I blow dried it last weekend for my wedding updo, and I lost enough hair for a small afro wig between washing and detangling. Setback... but Oh well.. I washed, conditioned and just applied oil to my wet hair... Hair never felt better!!

Back