Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

Will be doing a sort of mid-point check in sometime this week. Right now my 2.5 week old twists are cornrowed up for the weekend and I'm not taking these badboys down until tomorrow night to moisturize.

I did use a ruler to measure my hair and all around I'm 7 - 8 inches. I finally decided to use a ruler since I didn't know whether I was NL or CBL or what :look: But I pulled and measured on dry twists and so I'm thinking that if it was straightened it would be longer? I like the ruler technique instead of just eyeballling it especially since I don't straighten. But I'll still take pics for yall :yep:

[USER=334133 said:
Kn0ttyByNatur3[/USER];14527621]OOOOOO! OOOOOOOOO! CAN I JOIN THIS CHALLENGE? huh? huh? huh? :look:

Come on in here and join us and have some fun.

Just read the first post and post your specs and you are ready to go.

Took out my 2 week old twists. 2 weeks is max for me because the shed hairs start tanging about 1/3 down the twists. I can't even imagine 3 weeks.

I wore a twist out today since I was going to a party. My hair just moved into the cute stage in October. :yay: so my twist outs look good now. Although they look good I am ready to put it back up.

So today will be doing a long hair treatment. Rinse, detangle, mud wash, henna, DC, steam, twists. Going to put in larger twists this time.

Took out my 2 week old twists. 2 weeks is max for me because the shed hairs start tanging about 1/3 down the twists. I can't even imagine 3 weeks.

I wore a twist out today since I was going to a party. My hair just moved into the cute stage in October. :yay: so my twist outs look good now. Although they look good I am ready to put it back up.

So today will be doing a long hair treatment. Rinse, detangle, mud wash, henna, DC, steam, twists. Going to put in larger twists this time.

What is a mud wash?

Victoria44 You are too kind.

Checking in with latest twists. I washed and deep conditioned in three week old twists; when those were dry, I redid each twist:

DSC01772-vi.jpg

I don't think I'm balding, even though I look like it.

DSC01774-vi.jpg

From the side.

DSC01794-vi.jpg

Twisted bun.

Going to have a long hair day tomorrow. Time for a cassia treatment, but I'm looking forward to it. I hope my hair doesn't get too tangled!

Took out just the front today. The back still has the twists in. I'm gonna take the back out tonight for a twistout for a couple days.

3172dc6c.jpg

Going to have a long hair day tomorrow. Time for a cassia treatment, but I'm looking forward to it. I hope my hair doesn't get too tangled!

I'm having my long hair day today. Doing henna. DCing now. Only do 1 hour because I really need to start twisting it so I can get to bed at a decent time.

I am ready to be done :yep:

Since the weather in nyc was crazy on Saturday, I decided to make it a hair day. I dc'ed w/ coconut milk and molassas, mud wash, moisturized w/ QB Burdock root butter cream and shea butter, then twisted on wet hair.

My dead tired face must not be televised :nono:

Image5.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image.jpg

Last edited:
I did larger twists this time even though I realized they are still pretty small :lol: I have been doing mini twists for so long that I think small twists are large. I was going to do a certain number of twists but since I did small ones I didn't feel like trying to count them. I think I will leave the numbered twists until my hair is longer.

I DCd, applied Zuresh leave-in and put shea butter mix on my ends. I applied SM Mist and worked that in. I found that this is a good combination for my hair and keeps it moist.

I twisted small twists with my KCCC. I am just going to keep these up in a bun.

My camera is still broken but no pics. And I still need to take my own mid challenge pic.

Week 2 of my current twists. I was really frustrated with the frizziness this weekend and almost took them out but them I pinned them up into a cute side pony. I got a few compliments so I'll rock it like this till the end of the week. Saturday, I'm going to my stylist for a trim and twisted updo.

Update....still growing well in my twists :yep: I need to take them out soon since they're starting to get frizzy, but all in all I've had great retention.

Here'a couple of pics in October;

Attachments

• 304240_2422171307123_1036654805_32679477_1180051691_n.jpg
    304240_2422171307123_1036654805_32679477_1180051691_n.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 312774_2398651599145_1036654805_32660342_1297732799_n.jpg
    312774_2398651599145_1036654805_32660342_1297732799_n.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 38
The twists I put in last night are only my fourth set but I feel like my hair has grown so much since I started. I think this is my growing season though, I usually shed a lot in the summer, and then convince myself that my hair is not growing during the fall, but it always does.

Posting from my phone again. Hope it works. Wanted to upload a picture of my pre-twist twists. I detangle my hair and put it in 8 big twists. Once they're all done I turn each large twist into six smaller twists. Here is a side shot.
aefc0544-448b-3aa5.jpg

Had my hair out yesterday and today. My hair has grown alot but I also got spoiled. When I have my hair out now, I get impatient with taking the twists down in the morning etc. I'm so used to PS'ing now! :lol: I'm feeling really lazy today. I really don't feel like washing and retwisting today.

Posting from my phone again. Hope it works. Wanted to upload a picture of my pre-twist twists. I detangle my hair and put it in 8 big twists. Once they're all done I turn each large twist into six smaller twists. Here is a side shot.

Those things are huge :lol: Wow it seems like even the smaller twists will be big. sigh... Can't wait until I have all that hair.

Those things are huge :lol: Wow it seems like even the smaller twists will be big. sigh... Can't wait until I have all that hair.

They do look pretty monstrous. My hair is pretty dense, and my strands are fairly thick, but it's all an illusion. Once my 48 twists are dry they're about the size of a sharpie, maybe even a little smaller. And I can't wait to have more hair... :drunk:

I wish I could get away with your size twists cch24 Oh the joys of thick hair!

pookaloo83 I understand completely! I love loose hair, but not the daily maintenance; that's why I keep my twists in for weeks at a time. :look:

I with you ladies on the every day twisting. At the beginning of the summer I decided I was going to wear twists outs. By the 3rd day I was tired of all that retwisting. Then in the morning it wasn't quite right so I had to figure out how to make it right. Then I was late for work. That was the end of the twist outs for me.

So doing a twist out 2 days a week work for me. I take the twists out one day and wear it. I don't retwist it for the next day I just let it be. Then I wash it.

I don't know if it will be different when my hair is longer. I'm thinking not.

At the beginning of my hair journey my loose hair intimidated me...she still does! I rarely wear her out for more than 24 hrs...round 'bout hr #36 she starts to rebel!

I love PSing i'm not pressed to have out hair except for when i'm feeling fro-i-licious!

I've been doing some serious lurking..I really want to join this challenge. You ladies have some beautiful twists :lick::flowers:Is there a challenge for next year?

I've been doing some serious lurking..I really want to join this challenge. You ladies have some beautiful twists :lick::flowers:Is there a challenge for next year?

Hey Skiggle. You are welcome to join.

The jury is still out on whether I will restart the challenge for 2012. There has been some discussion about it though. I will make my decision by Dec 1st.

Hey Skiggle. You are welcome to join.

The jury is still out on whether I will restart the challenge for 2012. There has been some discussion about it though. I will make my decision by Dec 1st.

YAY!!! I'll be taking out my kinky twists during the Thanksgiving Holiday. After a prepoo, shampoo, henna a dc *probably will be done over severeal days* I wil wear my own hair in various twisted styles till the end of he year! :yep:

I washed, dc'd and lightly blew out my hair last night. I hate doing it because I always lose hair. Anyway it's in a twistout today and today will be my 3rd day having my hair out!:blush: so, since I'm here at work doing nothing, I'm going to retwist while I sit here on this couch. Will probably take me 1 1/2 hrs.

Back