Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

[USER=23876 said:
pookaloo83[/USER];14510697]I never took a beginning shot. :sad:

Sorry poookaloo. But you take a lot of pictures anyway. You have to have something that was close to September. You can use any of those. You seem to post a lot in the every day hair.

pookaloo83

Do you have a twisted style pic from around the beginning of the challenge that you posted in the Everday hair sticky that you may be able to use? Maybe do a similar style to compare the length of your twists.

180baec1-706f-f05b.jpg

My twists week 3. Taking down from braids overnight.

This is only my third week of doing twists so I don't really have any comparisons. Although I can say that my twists are getting neater...

Week 1-
IMG_0442.jpg

Week 2-
IMG_0478.jpg

Week 3-
photo-1.jpg

All of these were taken right after I finished twisting, hence the loads of conditioner you can see in my hair. I've found that not twisting the root makes my buns lay down more because there is hair before the twists instead of just having twists on my scalp.

I hope this can count as some sort of update. I also hope faithVA is planning on continuing this challenge through the new year, I'm loving it!

This is only my third week of doing twists so I don't really have any comparisons. Although I can say that my twists are getting neater...

All of these were taken right after I finished twisting, hence the loads of conditioner you can see in my hair. I've found that not twisting the root makes my buns lay down more because there is hair before the twists instead of just having twists on my scalp.

I hope this can count as some sort of update. I also hope @faithVA is planning on continuing this challenge through the new year, I'm loving it!

Thanks for your update cch24, even though you have only been with us a short time :yep:

As far as doing the challenge in 2012, I need some feedback. I have been in twists this entire year. And I don't want to wear my hair in twists entirely for 2012. So if you guys have any ideas about how to keep the challenge but altering it to have some flexibility let me know.

Did some rope twists last night. Seems like I can't twist without my hands automatically doing this method now. Damn you, Nonie !!!! :shakesfist:
Twisting and bunning may help my retention a lot through the rest of this challenge :)

IMAG0159-1.jpg

IMAG0163-1.jpg

-PYT and pray do tell, what's wrong with that???? :confused: It's how I do and I'd not change it for the world. Whazwrongwitchu?

What are rope twist? when you twist each component of the twist in the opposite direction of the actual direction of the twist?

faithVA Im curious as to how you're gonna wear your hair next year. Im definitely gonna be doing twists most of the time but I find I can keep my ends up and away from clothes etc while in a twistout puff or some other updo on loose/twistout hair.

Maybe we could have the rule relaxed to twists for 2 weeks/14 days for the month OR a protective styles for retention challenge (stylin for rentention challenge) so ladies can have more freedom in terms of PS options

@faithVA Im curious as to how you're gonna wear your hair next year. Im definitely gonna be doing twists most of the time but I find I can keep my ends up and away from clothes etc while in a twistout puff or some other updo on loose/twistout hair.

Maybe we could have the rule relaxed to twists for 2 weeks/14 days for the month OR a protective styles for retention challenge (stylin for rentention challenge) so ladies can have more freedom in terms of PS options

I want to try different things next year SimJam. I've worn twists for the majority of my natural journey. I want to try some rollersets, buns, twist outs. Next year will be the first time my hair is long enough to really try something new.

I agree with you I do want it to be less restrictive. 2 weeks sounds good.

I know I want start a challenge though unless I can commit to it. So I still need to think about it. A year for a style challenge may be too long for me.

What about just until the spring or summer? I'm hoping to get near hip length so there are some things I want to experiment with as well, but twists and buns will still be my default.

What about just until the spring or summer? I'm hoping to get near hip length so there are some things I want to experiment with as well, but twists and buns will still be my default.

:lol: That may work too. Y'all don't know I'm a commitment phobia. I can drag my feet until the last minute. I definitely will think about it. I probably won't decide until December.

I'm going to do a 2 day rollerset in November to see how my hair looks. That will probably greatly influence my decision.

If I do it, it will be a quarter at a time. So the challenge will only be 90 days long.

Oh yes I also have been a twister for I would say all my natural journey (once my hair was long enough to twist) and I also want to try new styles since Im GOING to reach APL by mid next year !!!

maybe the challenge could be broken up into it in 3 month stints, Im willing to take up a leg

Oh yes I also have been a twister for I would say all my natural journey (once my hair was long enough to twist) and I also want to try new styles since Im GOING to reach APL by mid next year !!!

maybe the challenge could be broken up into it in 3 month stints, Im willing to take up a leg

Sounds like we may be working up a plan SimJam.

I know I am going to want to straighten my hair in the spring.

But I may come to find that after I try those things that I don't feel like being bothered and I just go back to wearing twists. Who knows.

my picture isnt going to be a twist length comparison because it'll be done on wet hair (just washed)...but i'll post a picture anyway.

the length comparison will have to wait until the very end.

and since the first picture i provided here was one of me in braids, i think it's best for the last picture to be in braids, too...for a more accurate comparison. if that's okay!

Well I can't find my other pics at this moment, but here are my twists from today

Attachments

• 2011-10-27 21.13.31.jpg
    2011-10-27 21.13.31.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 2011-10-27 21.13.40.jpg
    2011-10-27 21.13.40.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 32
UPDATE: For the mid-challenge picture, you just need to take the picture before the 11/15, you don't need to post it. You can post your starting, mid-challenge, and final picture at the end.

I'm graduating in May so I'll be getting my hair straightened for graduation and probably in Feb/Mar for my graduation pictures. Other than those planned straightenings, the only other style I'll do other than twists/buns will be wash and go's. I've finally mastered them, and they do look better at this length, but they're still shoulder length. I started bunning in 2008 for protective style purposes, but now they're just easier and they're what I like.

I did get really excited when I was shampooing my hair on Tuesday. I was doing the back right quadrant and I turned around to get the shampoo and my hair slapped my back. I was so surprised. It was soaking wet, so it was just hanging there. It's always nice to feel growth.

-PYT - I really really like your twists!!! What's your hair type and texture. I'm 4a/b, my hair is soft and my strands are thick with medium density but my twists don't look as neat or as thick as yours. You have me :drool: over here. :lachen:

I am at the end of my 2nd week with these twists. I will be glad to take them out. But I have learned a lot by keeping them in for two weeks.
--I can cowash in twists but my roots are going to be tangled.
--Misting, applying oil and then butter is a good combination for me.
--Braiding my twists gives me a good stretch
--I can style my twists by misting my roots with water. Then I can place the twists in the direction I want even if I didn't braid them correctly.
--It doesn't take much water to rehydrate my twists.

I feel the last two weeks have been a success because I learned so much. But I will wait until my twists are much longer before I try another 2 week stretch.

-PYT - Aww dang that means my twists will never look as thick as yours. My hair isn't course and it's not super thick. :sad: Oh well I'll just have to keep :drool: over yours. Keep the pics coming!

hie everyone.
i have finally found a regimen that works for me and it involves keeping my hair in twists. i was plaiting with thread because that was quick and easy for me, but i was losing hair everytime i undid it.

anyway.
my go-to twist style is single twists.
i detangel, then wash and condition in twists. then spray each twist with my glycerin/water/coconut oil mix and run a comb-through the section. then apply either the herbal essences twist gel or the neutrogena leave-in and re-twist. i baggy every night with no product and my twists are always soft and moist.
i'll uplaod pics soon.
i do this every week but i'm thinking of going longer cos i'm really lazy and i think twist look good the older they are.

oh, my hair is about collar-bone length when stretched, i BC'd in august.

idk if this should be considered my starting pic, since i just joined the challenge, and its also my first time doing small twists in my hair. I lightly blew it out first

Snapshot_20111028_1.jpg

Snapshot_20111029_7.jpg

Snapshot_20111029_5.jpg

my ends are so straight from the blow out, i'm probably going to wet them a little

Snapshot_20111029_9.jpg

Back