Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (7/1/2012 - 9/30/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LuvlyRain3 I try to keep them in for at least 4 weeks given how long it took to put them in. hmm...I think my shedding is normal and there's a nice size hairball after I get all the shed hair out given that we supposedly lose 50-100 hairs a day. Take down IS annoying. My twists are super small this time too, but I'm going to take my time and conditioner and oil makes the process much easier. HTH.

Thanks PYT, how long did it take for You to but them in?

Hmm...I spread it out over like three days, but probably 15 hrs total maybe? My other sets usually took 11-12 hrs, but this set is smaller. Spreading it out over a few days definitely kept me from going insane lol

-PYT said:
Alright now for the pics!

Here's my mini twists from April:

And here's my current set :

Gorgeous twists! And great progress.

Le sigh. Idk what to do with my hair this week. I did a braidout for the weekend that actually still looks ok i may just pin it up this week. And cowash and bun when i get sweaty.

What are you ladies doing and using to keep your twists moisturized? I have baggied 2 nights in a row and my hair is still on the dry side.... Which is strange. Maybe I need to clarify?

LuvlyRain3 I keep mine in for 3-4 weeks. It takes about 8 hours to put them in at my current amount of hair...Takedown isn't too bad, but it does take longer than I would like so I have to stay patient and not try to go too fast. Otherwise i get unnecessary tangles. I would say the shedding is normal.

-PYT Awesome progress and beautiful, beautiful twists. *snaps in z formation*

What are you ladies doing and using to keep your twists moisturized? I have baggied 2 nights in a row and my hair is still on the dry side.... Which is strange. Maybe I need to clarify?

isawstars I like to use a water based moisturizer to refresh the cream that I used when installing the twists. Generally, I seal with oils, too.

LuvlyRain3 I keep mine in for 3-4 weeks. It takes about 8 hours to put them in at my current amount of hair...Takedown isn't too bad, but it does take longer than I would like so I have to stay patient and not try to go too fast. Otherwise i get unnecessary tangles. I would say the shedding is normal.

LuvlyRain3 Coincidentally, these answers are my exact experience. I am taking my twists down after 3.5 weeks and it is taking forever. :lol:

I did another flat twist updo, I'm really happy how it came out. Will post pics in a bit.

Encouraged by Ogoma I actually attempted a vid, just showing how I got started. I am editing now to post on my blog. This is way more work than I thought - I don't know how those youtubers do it!

All these lovely mini-twists inspired me to put in my own. I have about half my head done.

For those who do them, what do you put on your hair for hold? SO far I've just been using my flaxseed gel

Feeling 'some kinda way' with myself. I KNOW I shouldve taken my twists down, dc'd, moisturized, retwisted (yeah the whole 9) this weekend, but Noooooooo!!! I opted to relax, go get a pedicure, read, munch on junk food while I had the peace n quiet. TODAY I honestly feel like I'm rushing to do errrrthang that I didnt do this weekend (like laundry, wash my pooch-yeah that kinda stuff)

.........................................SIGH!!!!......................................

AND Ive noticed that here lately... I cant keep my friggin hands out of my hair :whyme:

NappyNelle yes! I had to split my takedown over 2 days...And then I just had to slap a bunch of conditioner in my hair overnight but didn't have time to rinse bc I had to work this morning. Soooo when I get off I'm gonna have to do protein...more moisture...shampoo...more moisture...THEN twist all over again. *sigh* This is why I get so lazy and just leave the twists as long as possible lol

I did another flat twist updo, I'm really happy how it came out. Will post pics in a bit.

Encouraged by @Ogoma I actually attempted a vid, just showing how I got started. I am editing now to post on my blog. This is way more work than I thought - I don't know how those youtubers do it!

Yay!! I am really trying to do more styles and I am so lost.

IsawstartsI use something water based and seal with oil. I use a shea butter base to twist and that seem to lock in moisture for a while so it stays moist as long as I dont let it get too dry. I kind of pat/squeeze the moisture in and the oil bc I notice rubbing encourages frizz/fuzziness.

Encouraged by @Ogoma I actually attempted a vid, just showing how I got started. I am editing now to post on my blog. This is way more work than I thought - I don't know how those youtubers do it!

bajandoc86 Cant wait to see it...its so funny how it seems like it was you ladies who have opened my mind to all this variety as far as twists and updo's. I didnt used to be a fan of those styles, but they look so beautiful on you all Im venturing out to experiment and am loving it. I live in a predominately white area and I thought twists,etc may cause me to get the side eye at work, but I actually get lots of compliments. Im more pumped than ever about going natural. Im finding people are more curious than anything and havent gotten any negative comments about my hair. Im so glad that I opened my own mind and stopped being paranoid about what others would think.

PYT love your twists and awesome progress! PS Why is it everytime I see your name I start singing Pretty Young Thing in my head lol?

Im back to my boring bun aka old faithful for now...I go back to work Wednesday thru Friday so tomorrow Ill probably do a little something...maybe attempt an updo to get through the rest of the week. If that fails, bun it is :)

Im thinking of keeping my hair twisted two weeks of the month...it could be my imagination, but my hair seems to be thriving since it has been twisted for probably 3 out of 5 weeks lately. Its very soft and seems to be getting thicker and stronger. Minimal manipulation is where its at!:grin:

bajandoc86 Cant wait to see it...its so funny how it seems like it was you ladies who have opened my mind to all this variety as far as twists and updo's. I didnt used to be a fan of those styles, but they look so beautiful on you all Im venturing out to experiment and am loving it. I live in a predominately white area and I thought twists,etc may cause me to get the side eye at work, but I actually get lots of compliments. Im more pumped than ever about going natural. Im finding people are more curious than anything and havent gotten any negative comments about my hair. Im so glad that I opened my own mind and stopped being paranoid about what others would think.

Leslie_C And THIS is why we're here! :clap: :woot: *stanky legg & dougie*

Hey ladies. Sorry I'm so spastic with posting, but I just took out my mini-twists from my previous post. Did an overnight DC with Infusium 23 then did a protein treatment (Aphogee 2 min w/ an egg mixed in) then shampoo'd with Dr. Bronner's castille soap (peppermint mmmmm :-)) THEN conditioned again w/ Infusium 23. Just installed about 14-16 "jumbo" twists and have them pinned up under a beanie. There's a pic in the protective styles sticky but I'm not on my computer so I can't post it here right now.

Hi ladies!! I stalk this thread all the time:). I wanted to join but I'm not good at bunning or twisting my hair:( last week I tried a high bun with braiding hair and this week I did a few flat twist and two strand twist updo. I'm attaching two pics (excuse my face in the bun pic).

Please give me tips and let me know what I can do better next time.

Thanks so much!!!

image-3503048637.jpg

:)

Just checking in...havent done my high bun yet. Currently in a roller set...all this to get my hair to a point that I can bun it smh lol

I just realized last night that I can now put my twists into a low pony tail without using a pack of pins to hold in the short twists.

only a few twists from the very front of my hair need to pinned down :yay:

5 head + fine hair = no bun.

Hi all,

Ok I tried that tutorial and this is what happened. Imma wear it for today but am going back to the braids.

IMG_0495.jpg

Leslie_C. I just love creative people. I would have never thought to figure out a bun. Even with instructions...oh well. BTW, your avi looks great. ps, stank leggin' for you to. Keep doing you!

ree.denise. Ok, just call me dense. What can't you do with your hair? I'm just not getting it. It looks gorgeous to me.:gorgeous:. You're jumping in here...right?

NappyNelle, you got Solange in your siggy. Girl, l love a rebel. How busy is the job?

Thanks for putting up with my randomness y'all:)

Last edited:
5 head + fine hair = no bun.

Hi all,

Ok I tried that tutorial and this is what happened. Imma wear it for today but am going back to the braids.

IMG_0495.jpg

@Leslie_C. I just love creative people. I would have never thought to figure out a bun. Even with instructions...oh well. BTW, your avi looks great. ps, stank leggin' for you to. Keep doing you!

@ree.denise. Ok, just call me dense. What can't you do with your hair? I'm just not getting it. It looks gorgeous to me.:gorgeous:. You're jumping in here...right?

@NappyNelle, you got Solange in your siggy. Girl, l love a rebel. How busy is the job?

Thanks for putting up with my randomness y'all:)

MeowMix LMAO I have a fivehead myself! You need to start with poofy hair from a bantu knot out or braidout or something and make the puff higher. You will get it, it took a lot of trial and error for me and finally got it...now Im even getting fancy and adding flat twists to the front, pompadour in the front, etc...so I wont put too much tension on my edges and to take away from the fivehead LOL :) What did you use to make your puff? Experiment til you find what works for your head...could be a ribbon, a cut up knee high, a stretched out headband,etc. Just keep playing with it!

PS I thoroughly enjoy randomness!:grin:

Yesterday I wore a really ugly banana clip bun with 1/3 of my hair still mini-twisted in the middle. :lol: I had to give the SO his glasses that he thought he lost, so I left the house looking a mess. SMH

MeowMix You do not have a five head at all. :lol: And I'm a Knolwes-clan-stan ('cept for Matthew :rolleyes:) so I had to represent! :giggle:

I haven't started the job yet because I have/want to do finish some medical testing beforehand. *sigh* But I am excited to start soon. :)

ETA: Dang, I use a lot of emoticons. :lol:

ETA Again: I've been deep conditioning since 1:00pm. Can you say L-A-Z-Y?

Hey ladies!

ree.denise it turned out lovely! your hair is sooo thick and puurrtyy :lick:

For the updo I did on Sunday (while watching olympics :grin:) I tried something new for the mohawk, and I love it!

TMsDee14 &-PYT hiya2. Hope all is well.

:bighug: to everyone in the challenge. I know I STAY in the smilies.:rolleyes:

Leslie_C. Thank you for the encouragement. You are just so inspiring. BTW, you have a real cute forehead...and a great style, still trying to figure out the scarf in your avi:)

NappyNelle, I'm just so happy for you that I jumped the gun:) You'll get through the test. LOL on the stan and emoticons.

bajandoc86...ok Olympics and mohawk. You KNOW we want to see this:)

checking in.
i've just been cowashing and bunning, not fancy.
i will be getting a weave next week for back to school (i need a hair break), so i guess that will make me ineligible to finish up the challenge.

So I've been putting in mini-braids for about a week now and I've only finished about half my head.

I need to stop messing around and put in the rest.

Washing my hair in these twists tonight, then taking them down and finger detangling once about 80% dry. Plan on doing a braid-n-curl for the weekend and going back in twists on Monday.

I've been wearing scarves all week since my twists are a mess, but I was too lazy to take them out.

MeowMix You look adorable in that pic.

Attachments

• photo (24).JPG
    photo (24).JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back