Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (7/1/2012 - 9/30/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NappyNelle Good luck! You go in that interview and be a blessing to those people! What's the job??

-PYT Thankssss! The director is making it up now. :giggle: I would be part of the marketing team and a liaison to hourly employees.

-PYT I am in lurve with ur big bad bun. :love: I want a bun like that when I grow up. You know I've never actually attempted a bun....EVER.

bajandoc86 Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt?!!!!! :shocked:

NappyNelle It's true...*hangs head in shame*. When I was younger my hair was literally too thick for my mother to wrangle in one. I broke many a pony comb. MANY.

Now I can get it on one...but not in a true pony without causing a massive headache.

You ladies look great!! :grin:
Rocky91 How do you sleep? Do the bumps just take getting used to? I've never seen a cuter photo of bantus. I'm too shy to rock a style like that.
Tomorrow I have a follow up from last week's interview, so I really hope it goes well. I think I'm going to wear my twists pinned up in the front and wavy toward the back. It's definitely time for me to take these twists down and shampoo.
NappyNelle, I think i'm just used to them.
this is a really common style for jamaican mothers to do on their kids, my mom used to do it all the time, so i guess my head has gotten used to that.
tying down a scarf on top takes down the bumpiness.
try them sometimes!!
and good luck on your interview, hun! all the best:yep:
Rocky91 You wear that style very well! Not that many people look good in them a a style, but it looks soooooo good on you! I wish I could wear them! My head is way too big lol.
Leslie_C, thank you! you never know till you try:grin:
this style seriously keeps me from just shaving my head sometimes:look: because it kinda mimics having short hair.

All these mini twist pictures have me so green with envy...

I'm going to try them on my hair tomorrow!!! No promises though. I say that and give up after three...

I've been bunning lately (again!!!). Oddly enough since I cut about 1.5 off my ends it was easier to do a sock bun. I understand the IDEA but the execution is shaky. I can not figure what they do with those ends. I just used the sock like a pony holder then stuck my finger in the middle to create a fan and put on a thin pony holder. I get the donut shape and my ends just blends when laying flat around my head.

Oh well. My sock bun with bangs is different from my clip with bangs. Lol. Now I have 5 different hair styles...

OMG, there is some GOODNESS going on here. What to do?? :scratchch I know. Hold this space for comments and copy a real cute bunning technique for shorter hair. I know I'm going to try this:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufgw1xGi4As

Update: Please forgive the lateness:)

isawstars, I do the same thing. Go on with your multitasking:)

Victoria44. Nice job on your friends hair. She has a great smile. Funny thing is I don't see relaxer in her hair. Is she still transitioning?

Rocky91. Very nice, your could be a model.

-PYT. Wow, just wow. Beautiful and inspiring, thank you:)

Caramelangel247. Is that 3rd snap from 7/31 2nd day hair? In my mind our hair is kind of similar and was just curious.

Totally Random thought, wouldn't it be funny if somebody broke out from this thread, there is all kinds of talent here.:yep:

Last edited:
Rocky91...OT but the food on your blog looks absolutely DELISH. :lick:

I love food and love me some Rocky... so I must check it out.

and good luck on your interview, hun! all the best:yep:

Rocky91 MeowMix Leslie_C -PYT Thank you so much ladies for your prayers, well wishes, and positive vibes. I got a job offer with health accommodations! :pray: I am so thankful. :pray: It's very difficult to work full time with a chronic illness.

I don't think I can do bantu knots on my whole head, but I will try a modified Scary Spice/Mel B version:

tumblr_m28h9yToQ21qagjqho1_400.jpg

I used to wear this style in elementary school. :lol: Let's see if it translates well into young adulthood.

OMG, there is some GOODNESS going on here. What to do?? :scratchch I know. Hold this space for comments and copy a real cute bunning technique for shorter hair. I know I'm going to try this:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufgw1xGi4As

@MeowMix That is exactly how I do my buns--see Avi! Ive been preaching this to anybody who will listen but usually nobody seems to understand what I mean lol. Works like a charm! I have to put a couple of pins around the base though so it doesnt fly off ...I think my head is shaped weird or something lol...if I move it like a tiny bit past the perfect spot, it flies off lol.

@Rocky91 @MeowMix @Leslie_C @-PYT Thank you so much ladies for your prayers, well wishes, and positive vibes. I got a job offer with health accommodations! :pray: I am so thankful. :pray: It's very difficult to work full time with a chronic illness.

I don't think I can do bantu knots on my whole head, but I will try a modified Scary Spice/Mel B version:

I used to wear this style in elementary school. :lol: Let's see if it translates well into young adulthood.

@NappyNelle CONGRATULATIONS chica!! So glad for you! :dance7:

@Rocky91 @MeowMix @Leslie_C @-PYT Thank you so much ladies for your prayers, well wishes, and positive vibes. I got a job offer with health accommodations! :pray: I am so thankful. :pray: It's very difficult to work full time with a chronic illness.

Congrats girly! Good luck in everything that you do:grin:

Ah the bantu knots.

Two more days until a wedding so I got excited and started on my hair early. I flexi rod my hair and it turned out soooo nice, but I did not know how to maintain it so I bantu knoted it to go to bed. I will see if the style can last the weekend. To be honest, I am very nervous about wearing my hair out. I bun 24/7 and I have been retaining length like a charm. So after Saturday, I will be running back to the bun :spinning:

How does one maint moisture in stretched out styles? What do you all do to your ends?

NappyNelle congrats sis!!!!! Thank God they are looking out for your well-being.

Sigh...I tried my hardest to finish but once 2 am hit I was like bump that!, lol front back and sides are done. Only the top middle remains. Bunned it up to disguise it for one more day :grin: I plan to bun like this once I'm all finished. Just rolled and tucked the ponytail with some good day hair pins. Loving this blow dried hair btw...

ForumRunner_20120803_022929.jpg
ForumRunner_20120803_022955.jpg

Two more days until a wedding so I got excited and started on my hair early. I flexi rod my hair and it turned out soooo nice, but I did not know how to maintain it so I bantu knoted it to go to bed. I will see if the style can last the weekend. To be honest, I am very nervous about wearing my hair out. I bun 24/7 and I have been retaining length like a charm. So after Saturday, I will be running back to the bun :spinning:

How does one maint moisture in stretched out styles? What do you all do to your ends?

RegaLady :lol: I have to remind myself that two days of out hair won't cause a setback. Hair paranoia is real! :lol:

I like to refresh my out styles at night with a light spritz, and I'll add a bit of oil/ pomade/ moisturizer on the ends. I try not to weigh my hair down unless I'm ready to bun or french roll.

-PYT Wow, such teeny tiny twists! I would take me two weeks to attempt that style. Your hair looks great and I love the bun. :lick:

:notworthy. Wow! You guys we have a STAR in our midst. Our friend has been profiled.

Ps, I posted a comment but for some reason its not showing. CONGRATULATIONS.

Thanks guys!! I was so stoked and humbled all at the same time. I'm always stalking the gorgeous heads of hair on that blog.

Hey y'all

I really have to go back to thread reading 101.

NappyNelle. Yay, yay, yay, I am SO happy to hear your good news, especially in this economy. Totally hear you about health issues and insurance. Your news is so inspiring, prayer works. BTW, I hear you about not wanting to let your hair out. I have 'hair paranoia' too

MsDee14. Thank you so much for jumping in here. I've been like a bad relay runner just dropping the baton.

-PYT. Ok, I was grinning over your other style and now your doing mini-twist? Are you still in school? Because if you are, I really have no excuse for those busted photos I post;)

MeowMix I just finished a summer class so I finally had some free time. I know I'm going to be busy with my job training for a couple weeks so I'm putting this hair away! :yep:

This thread has been so active lately!!! I had to catch up! Congrats NappyNelle on your new Job!!!

I bunned for the beginning of last week and wore a twist out for the last 3 days. I was trying to decide how to wear my hair for this week and decided on the high bun...

Awww, thanks everyone! *blushing* I've been having a hard time for the past year with my health and finances, so I hope this job goes well and turns things around for me. :grin:

I'll be taking my twists out tomorrow... this set is greasy, dry, and just yucky. :lol: It is definitely time to shampoo and deep condition under my steamer.

@RegaLady :lol: I have to remind myself that two days of out hair won't cause a setback. Hair paranoia is real! :lol:

I like to refresh my out styles at night with a light spritz, and I'll add a bit of oil/ pomade/ moisturizer on the ends. I try not to weigh my hair down unless I'm ready to bun or french roll.

@-PYT Wow, such teeny tiny twists! I would take me two weeks to attempt that style. Your hair looks great and I love the bun. :lick:

NappyNelle,

Yes it is!:lol: I went back to my dry bun right after the wedding, baggied last night with a curl activator and now my bun is happily back in its juicy wet bun:lick:. I will admit, with all the weather and high humidity, I was better off wearing a bun to the wedding anyway. I did notice some breakage while putting my hair back in the bun, but it wasn't alot.

LOTS of natural hair at the wedding. My cousin had a GORGEOUS blowout and flat iron and her hair length is very inspiring to me. No other major events coming up, so I will be bunning until December ( 4 month challenge):yep:

For you ladies that do many twists. How long do you keep them in and how bad is the shedding when you take them out? How hard is the take down process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back