Straighten hair the natural way!

Hi tasha,

Welcome to the board! It's nice to have you with us.
smile.gif

Hairyette-

Wow that is sooooome mixture!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I kinda went crazy with "milk" when I did my milk treatment. I used Soy Milk, Coconut Milk, condensed milk (non-sweetened), along with the lime Juice, and got excellent results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad it worked for you, too!!!!
grin.gif

I'm going to try condensed (non-sweetened) milk next time myself.

Funny you should mention that.....one of the many ingredients I added to my last henna mixture was heavy cream(whipping). The mixture totally made my hair "slicked" back, as if I was applying a relaxer. I said to myself, if my hair remains this texture as it dries I will have found my ultimate "mix". I can't wait for the weekends so I can test different ingredients/combinations and play with them and note the results on my hair.

My ultimate goal is to get to the point where I can make up my own natural products(shampoos,conditioners,oil blends) and not have to depend on name brands at all.
smile.gif

I save every hair that comes from my head to do strand tests with different henna mixtures/oil blends.
think.gif

So Hairyette,

How was your hair after it dried? Was the straightening noticible? How do you think it would act if you add the lime. I want to try mixing the coconutmilk/lime mixture with the henna or the hennalucent to see what type of results I get. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

I posted a method of maintaining your straight look between shampoos for an indefinite period of time on the Paging the Hennaphyliac gals thread. It works great. You do not want to have to much oil in your hair for this, because your hair is going to draw on the oil from your scalp and hair that is already there. Your hair should end up soft and swinging! Hope this helps anyone who is experiencing any dryness and wants to maintain the moisture levels in the hair without rinsing every day.
wink.gif
Bonjour.

Sadly, like I shared in a PM to another member, most (not all) of my natural texture returned when my hair air dried. The good thing is my hair looks relaxed when I flat iron (and it flat irons with ease...).

Mahalialee:(sorry for the spelling...) isn't the purpose of the lime juice to "mature" or sour the milk?? Plus I plan to check out your formula on the Henna thread for "swingin" hair (I know...I need to lay off the oils..). I did more experimentin last weekend....want to make sure the results "hold up" before I post.
smile.gif

smile.gif
I really thank you guys for all the natural haircare alternatives that you've got going here. Mahalia... love ya bunch for sharing. You don't know how close I was to mildly relaxing my 9 year old daughter's hair.
ohwell.gif
I plan to try the milk straightening during her next shampoo. Thanks so much guys!!!
wink.gif

Protein and acid. protein and acid
smile.gif
The purpose of the lime juice is to add a certain natural acid. You could sour the milk with vinegar, lemon juice, pickle juice, if souring is what you were wanting to accomplish. But the protein and acid combination thing....the synergistic effect...in other words, one assists the other. I assume you mean the coconut and lime thing. When I want sour milk, I use buttermilk or if I want rich sour milk, I use yogurt. Hope this makes sense
wink.gif
You might want to check out some information on what proteins actually are and what acids actually are and it will fall into place. If I come across any relevant posts soon, on the subject, I will be sure to post it.
blush.gif
oo:Bonjour.

Thanks to Mahailee for posting the link about black molasses and to all the ladies reviews about the milk.I have been trying the coconut milk/lime/yogurt spread and my hair just glistens curl is slightly looser but soooooooooooo conditioned.Last night I tried the black molasses with the milk hoping the molasses would help with the frizzies in humidity as I lightly texturise because the frizzies drive me crazy so any way i used about 2 tabsp of molasses to cup of milk and left it on for an hour washed of and then conditioned with aubrey's island spice creme rinse and molasses, clairol hydrating and keracare all mixed together for about 15 mins washed it off and air dried my hair in 2 pony tails and smoothed on carolyn's gray oil and today it' quite humid and no frizzies in sight just super shiny thick waves I love it.I will wait to see how this hold up in extreme humidity so far so good
wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Billygirl61 said:
Thanks to Mahailee for posting the link about black molasses and to all the ladies reviews about the milk.I have been trying the coconut milk/lime/yogurt spread and my hair just glistens curl is slightly looser but soooooooooooo conditioned.Last night I tried the black molasses with the milk hoping the molasses would help with the frizzies in humidity as I lightly texturise because the frizzies drive me crazy so any way i used about 2 tabsp of molasses to cup of milk and left it on for an hour washed of and then conditioned with aubrey's island spice creme rinse and molasses, clairol hydrating and keracare all mixed together for about 15 mins washed it off and air dried my hair in 2 pony tails and smoothed on carolyn's gray oil and today it' quite humid and no frizzies in sight just super shiny thick waves I love it.I will wait to see how this hold up in extreme humidity so far so good
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I like blackstrapp molasses also. I use it in my Hennalucent mix. I hope it helps with the frizzies also this summer...

I am really glad I read this thread...I was meaning to read it when it was first posted, but I forgot.
I am going to try this....does anyone use Henna and Placenta for a deep conditioner? I saw it at the store and I am considering getting a sample to try out!

I appreciate this thread more than I can say! Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for sharing this information!

I put whole milk on my dry hair, covered with a plastic cap and waited for 45 minutes. Shampooed (sp?) my hair and could immediately tell a difference -- my hair felt thicker, stronger and my natural curl was somewhat relaxed. Next I mixed 2T of black strap molasses with my conditioner, applied to hair, covered with plastic cap and waited 45 minutes.

My hair is fuller, bouncier and appears thicker and shinier!

I am completely amazed! Thanks, again! You all are the BEST!

LADIES, THE TIME HAS NOW COME:
Everyone who has been using the Henna, Lotus Powders, Homemade Herbal Henna relaxer, Coconut Lime and Yogurt etc etc. (picture Mahalialee with a top hat and a big ole megaphone!!!
laugh.gif
: PLEASE UPDATE US ON THE STATUS AND CONDITION AND STRAIGHTNESS, FULLNESS, STRENGTH AND HEALTH OF YOUR HAIR. I really want to hear about the chlidren especially who have benefitted from these treatments...eg. ArmyQ's daughter etc. Please be specific in the details and state the before and after results. Also state how long you have been doing your treatments and how many you have done. What did you find gave you the best results and how long did it last? I would so love to hear your results. How many are experiencing increased hair growth as well? Wiping forehead from all the shouting and exertion...(that megaphone was HEAVY!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Bonjour.

I have to tell you ladies, that I ordered some of HennaJoy's Henna and the texture and smoothness of the product really impressed me. I could tell when I was smoothing the mixture on...I did not add a bunch of stuff, just some lime juice, warm water, a tbl of EVO, let sit for 5 hours before applying...And when I rinsed it out in the shower.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
I was blown away by the results. My hair was already quite loose and felt okay, but after that last treatment, it relaxed about fifty per cent more and there was no after puffiness. I am so glad I tried this one. I used the Prabda Henna, because I did a two step process. It was obvious that it was a superior product. I would suggest that if you want to get the best results from henna try her product. yes, this is a product endorsement, in regard to the straightness I achieved and the feel of my hair. From now on, I am not willing to settle for any of the hybrid hennas.
wink.gif
As soon as I do the Lotus, I will be giving a review. Later....Bonjour.

I was wondering was it lemon or lime exactly, because although it is natural, it seems like the acid in a lemon may be a little harsh, if used frequently.

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering was it lemon or lime exactly, because although it is natural, it seems like the acid in a lemon may be a little harsh, if used frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it was the limes that dried my hair out.... I think I have better luck with lemons....

Im new to this site and Im interested in trying this natural straigtener. I have 4a hair and have not relaxed my hair in a month. I normally go 3 months without relaxing. My last relaxer was awful. I now have 3 inches of new growth in my hair. Question. Can I just use whole milk. Or do you use skim milk. sound silly. Has anyone tried the coconut milk. There are so many responses and Im not quite sure how to follow these post. Please someone tell me more.

Another newbie here and it was this thread that finally convinced me to join. I just tried this milk thing today. I was very skeptical and did it just to see how crazy it was, but you know what, it does work. I have very tightly coiled mostly 4B hair. I don't think there are any reviews by 4Bs in here so I thought I'd just add mine to this very long thread in case there are any others who are wondering if its worth trying.

I had already done an acv rinse. The milk was an after thought so I used it alone and I only left it on for 3-5 minutes. I used about 1/4 cup of 2 % milkfat because that's what I had and I rinsed it out with plain water. I suppose this could straighten someone's hair all the way out if the person had a gentle wave to their hair. For my texture of hair it isn't a straigtening per se. The results are like a mild blow out. I went from hair shrunken down to 1" or less to enough to pull into a teeny tiny bunny tail. Yaay!! This isn't long compared to a lot of the ladies in this forum, but it's a milestone for me and I didn't even know I had that much hair because of the shrinkage factor. I like my natural hair but I've been wishing there was something to help me to tame it just a little bit. I don't want to go back to relaxing and blow drying is not an option either because it takes too much heat to blow my hair out so this is a fantastic find. In the long run this may even promote hair growth because the milk has definitely made my hair easier to manipulate. To think I grew up on a dairy farm and we had milk coming out of our ears but never thought to use it this way. Anyway, thanks for passing on the tip!! Now to find out more about this lotus powder stuff ....

Hi, Mahalialee!

Updating:

1. Yes, I know of the Sapote (Mamey) fruit. The frozen pulp is sold here in NYC in Korean/Dominican markets. It's a Dominican/Puerto Rican product.

Never used it on my hair. Only drank in shakes.
smile.gif

2. Whole milk SPRAYED on my new growth and left on my hair for at least 1 hour with a plastic cap is now a normal part of my routine when I have the time and will be wearing my hair in a straight style (I'm transitioning). Nothing has worked better for me and I've tried Hennalucent, coconut cream, and condensed unsweetened milk.

The condensed unsweetened milk surprising did not work as well as the WHOLE MILK (in the container).

The coconut cream did not do much. (I used it alone, no lime/lemon.)

The Hennalucent, I'm still using every few weeks (mixed with Jojoba oil, avocado oil, conditioner, etc.), but I don't THINK I've really noticed any major de-bulking which is what I really wanted.

Hmmmm, might have to try HennaJoy's henna later on this summer.

I SPRAY the milk on because I don't want to over condition (too much protein) my relaxed hair. Spraying the milk on keeps it where I want it (only on my new growth). Of course it drips down, but not too much. [I use the milk alone, no lime/lemon added.]

I'm 5 months into transitioning and I do think that the whole milk "relaxing" helps a lot when I want to rollerset.

It works,It works,It works!

I just rinse the stuff out of my hair and I am so suprised that it worked. I have no chemicals in my hair and it usually takes me forever to comb my hair out. After I did this it took like a minute. I am definitely going to do this regularly. Here's what I did:
I used a glass of whole cow milk and I added the juice from half a lime(the freshest I could find from thriftway). I let it sit in the fridge for almost a week. I didn't have cream on the top. The lime juice seperated and that is what was on top. When I was ready to use it I poured off the lime juice and just used the creamy part. I parted my hair into 4 sections and detangled each section as I put the cream and then I braided the sections,covered it with a plastic cap and left it for one hour. After I rinsed off the milk mixture I did a deep conditioning treatment with Cholsesterol by applying it to each section, combing it through and rebraiding the section and then left it on under a conditioning cap for an hour and a half. I just rinsed about an hour ago and my hair is soooo soft. It kind of freaked me out that it worked but I am so glad it did because for a minute I was about to make a thread asking for support to keep me from relaxing and now I don't have to. This really gives me hope for managing my hair when it gets long. Hooray!!
dance7.gif

Re: It works,It works,It works!

Kathryn, I'm glad it worked for you. Isn't it amazing that the simple things can work so great on our hair!!! I love it!!

Back