Straighten hair the natural way!

Re: It works,It works,It works!

bumping for more NATURAL 4A's 4B's.

I used evaporated milk
smile.gif
with water added, no lime and it didn't really do anything.

Any 4A's/4B's have any success?

Lakinkyfemme

I tried this, twice, with whole cow's milk. Regular ol' milk. I basically poured a cup's worth over my hair, slowly, until my whole head of hair was saturated. Both times I wrapped seran wrap over my hair and put a plastic cap on it. After an hour, I would then wash it out in the shower, and let my hair dry. The first time I let my hair dry without doing much to my hair. The second time I combed my hair back and slicked it into a pony, with all my moisturizers in it, and put a scarf on it.

Both times I saw no difference.

It didn't work for me.

So I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe I should leave my milk-covered hair uncovered and just let all that milk drip all over me for an hour?

But anyways, I'm good without it. I don't want to straighten my curls and loose that wave definition I get when I'm wearing a ponytail.

hey I bought the coconut mlik and limes this weekend but I didn't hve the time to try it I just ixed it together and put in the fridge so I can try it tomorrow. The coconut milk is very thick, I can't wait to try this and see what happens. I'll be sure to post my results.

Ok after an hour and a half, I rinsed out the coconut milk and lime. My hair was very soft and moisturized. If anything my hair was much fuller without being thick. But I shampooed and my hair shrunk up again. It was still alot softer. Next time I won't shampoo afterward.

drunk.gif
Slowly, but surely

Acid is a chemical!

I'm new, but I have read this entire thread, and I am concerned. Rio & Copa used acids to straighten hair also, and were very damaging and drying.

Unlike almost all other parts of our body, our hair is "dead". Once it grows from the root, it is essentially a protein shaft, with NO living cells, and NO blood flow. When it is cut, we do not feel it. Only if it is pulled from the root. There is NO real way to "repair" our hair. Once damaged, that is it. Once the bonds are broken, or "loosened", that's all. Please research this, if it sounds difficult to believe. Check the web. All of the products, and conditioners out there are leading us on, all are temporary fixes. You can out a patch or band-aid on it, but it will not, and cannot "heal" like organs or skin. Simple biology.

Products can make the hair "feel" better, softer, smoother clarified, etc. But damage cannot be undone. It can be covered over, or "filled in" temporarily, but never permanantly. The cuticle opens and closes with heat (or chemicals ...lactic acid for example), but once split, its never made whole. Vitamins do their work at root level, below the skin. Past the scalp, what's done is done.

Some peoples' hair is stronger and more elastic than others, so they can use more chemicals without "apparent" damage. The cuticle layer can take more abuse on naturally straight hair, than the thinner-cuticled curly hair, before it finally breaks or splits.

All this is to say, be objective. Natural chemicals can be just as damaging as synthetic ones. If you have "natural" hair, with no relaxer, and you have been putting this lactic acid bath on your hair to "loosen" it, this is a natural, "gradual" (three times a week?) relaxer! Lactic acid does the straightening. Those who use lye/no lye relaxers are rolling the dice too. There is no way to regulate how acidic this lime or lemon versus that lime is, or how acidic this batch will be. Damaged hair can also be incredibly "soft", and "manageable".

It takes years to grow hair. It is precious. Be careful.

Re: Acid is a chemical!

Swayback, welcome to the forum!

You said that once the hair is damaged, there is no real way to repair it, and that the products are temporary fixes. I have read this before. There are a few products, such as Aphogee Treatment for Damaged hair and DRC-28 and others, which claim to "rebuild hair structure for six weeks", or "repair severly damaged or weakened hair to a stronger, healthier state". Are you saying that these products and others like them which have high concentrations of hydrolized animal protein, are really useless? In that case, are you suggesting it be better to simply cut off all damaged hair and start all over?

I also don't think you can repair damaged hair. I had to grow mine out and cut it off...first one big cut then several smaller trims to get rid of the damaged hair. I found even if I didn't cut if all(the damaged section) at one time...my hair did better. It's like a plant..when you cut out the damaged and dead parts...nurture what is left...the plant thrives. I think hair works the same way.

Well, if damaged hair can be soft, shiny, manageable, & feel better, then what's the problem with that? Over time as the hair gets longer, some amount of damage is inevitable. That's what regular trimming is for.

i dont really think you can keep damaged hair looking soft and shiny only for awhile because eventually, no matter what conditioners or treatments you use the damage is going to show eventually. alot of products claim to repair but they really dont. alot of them do make the hair "look" better but doesnt actually fix it because like the other girl said hair is dead you cant repair something thats dead. just like if you cut something that's dead, it is not going to heal up. but my question is "who wants damaged hair?"

also wanted to say that i have been doing the milk treatments but saw no straighting or loosening effect. it does make the hair soft though but so does my regular conditioner.

Re: It works

For me it didn't really straighten my hair but it made it easy to comb. The detangling is where I usually lose hair so if I can make the combout part easier with milk I am for it. I don't think I will do it 3 times a week but I will do it regularly. It will be a while before I determine how often. I have braids right now. My hair isn't damaged or anything I was using the milk to soften it some.

Did the milk do any damage to your hair? I have only done one treatment but it sounds like you've done more. Have you had any adverse long term effects?

This treatment made my hair very dry and brittle. There is a thread on this website that is called 'Milk treatment damaged my hair" I wished I would of read that one first before I read this one.

This is part of the original thread that Janice started:
Note that she referred to THE COCONUT AND LIME JUICE RECIPE )NOT MINE( but one that was on a website: There was also another recipe that said to just "SPRAY MILK ON THE HAIR." What I am quizzical about is the fact that posts are stating that "MILK" DAMAGED MY HAIR!!!! Then I read posts that say they added lime juice to milk. Are you talking about plain whole milk or coconut milk? Would not want there to be any confusion in people's minds. I personally would not add lime to anything on a too frequent basis, and put it on my hair. ( I sense that some are doing this, am I off base here? )I believe in moderation in all things. People have suffered damage from deep conditioning, from protein, relaxers, glycerine, apple cider vinegar, regular conditioners, certain shampoos, curling irons, brushing, combing when they did not use a balance in their applications of products to their hair or used things improperly. Further, I wonder how many are as committed to the moisturizing followups as recommended. How many actually omitted the deep moisturizing following or between these applications? How many actually did double applications (like back to back)? How many times are people actually repeatedly doing the "milk thing" for longer periods of time than recommended by the recipes? With or without heat? Even in a space of three days to push the "straight" button. I do know that cautions were posted on the board. I am not being oversensitive because it is not my recipes, but I know that some had excellent results. I wonder what really made the difference? I do know that if the hair was not moisturized, dry and brittle, before you combed your hair, it would certainly snap and break, but not everyone had the same problem. For those that did, we owe it to each other to investigate and clarify. I think that this is a logical approach to getting to the bottom of the real culprits.
confused.gif
Bonjour.

I must agree with you Mahalialee.

I had to have my own disaster to lean that all these treatments can be great but they <font color="red">Must be followed up by a moisturising treatment. </font> As well, the over processing can be so damaging to the hair.

I have read this post from the begining and it amazes me that althought it is so simple many of the users make such mistakes. It specifically states coconut milk with lime and whole milk by itself.

I am sorry that so many people got confused by that. I hope they come back and read your post about the importance of following up with moisture conditioners to bring a good balance to the hair.

I have not tried the milk myself but it's always nice to see read the various options we natural heads have.

For me the whole milk and the lime worked fine, but I did do a deep conditioning treatment right afterward.

Yes JazzAngel I agree with you -- the directions were very specific about COCONUT milk with lime, and when I saw that people were mixing lime with whole milk, instead of with coconut milk, I was wondering whether cottage cheese was going to develop on their heads afterwards. LOL!!

JazzAngel Said:
I have read this post from the begining and it amazes me that althought it is so simple many of the users make such mistakes. It specifically states coconut milk with lime and whole milk by itself.

I am very happy with the results of the milk conditioner (whole milk and nothing else). I have done it 3x. Each time my curls are looser and very shiny.

Okay, here's the reason I'm very happy. I like to do a light relaxer to loosen the curl (easy blow drying when I wear my hair straight). I tried using the Bodiphier for the second time (over a period of several months) and decided that it wasn't working out. I then tried to apply relaxer over those areas. AAAGH! It was as if my hair was locked in this frizzy state that not even the relaxer could penetrate (lye relaxer). It was very weird, it only happened on the sections of my hair where I used the Bodiphier for several months. My new growth was fine.

SO, enter the milk conditioner. I thought (after my second treatment), if my hair was this soft and shiny, perhaps my relaxer might penetrate. IT DID!! I know I overlapped those areas not treated with Bodiphier, but my frizzy sections are gone.

I would recommend this to anyone. It does not provide straight hair for me (3B and 4a), but softer, looser and shiny spirals. The relaxer gets the 4A sections straight enough to spiral, instead of kinking to the scalp.

Rainy

I'm not gonna lie, I thought this was CRAZY when I first heard, but then I realized I used to use H20 milk shampoo/conditioner and it used to make my curls extremely flat.

I tried the coconut milk and lime. 1 can coconut milk to 1 lime. I think perhaps I did not leave the mixture to set long enough. I'm not sure I got any curl loosening results. My hair is very soft though. I may try again in a few days.
Anyone else tried this recently?

Very interesting thread !!!

A special thanx goes out to Mahalialee4 for all the valuable information. I'm loving it!!!
grin.gif

Re:

I'm gonna try this on the weekend and I will post my results. Also do I need a hooded dryer for this? I hope someone can tell soon.

I still do. The coconut lime mixture about every 3-4 months. No breakage, very strong hair and very smooth textured with lots of wave when wet and when dry it is full. Very bouncy hair. Hair lays down nicely. It looks relaxed when rollerset or wrapped but shrinks when washed. Hair very shiny and keeps the ends smoothed down. Great for over porosity. If you go out in wet or damp or very damp climates, bun up or pony up because hair will shrink and wave up. (I'm 3b cottony fine strand) Definitely a semi permanent thing but its effects are extremely long termed. My hair shows the length fairly well with this when it is wrapped or ponytail wrapped and allowed to fully air dry. I rarely hood dry because I do not want it to be super straight. Hope this helps. Bonjour.

I cant believe I actually just read every single post in this thread....guess I was intrigued. First i was about to get the can of coconut milk out of my cupboard and pour it on my head, i was skeptical about the lime right away , too scared of any dryness, then as i read i was gonna skip the coconut milk and go get coconut cream, kept reading on, then somewhere in there i was eyeing the salad dressing in my fridge, then as i read i was like ahh fahget about it, im just gonna pour the whole milk in my fridge over my head. oh and I was a clicking fool on all the links, didnt even get to read them all, now my head is spinning, and after all that, the freakin jury is still out on what to do about the milk, after all that reading lol, I feel like i just been on the ride of my life, through evaporated milk, yogurt , heavy cream etc etc, whew wore me out. This was a very interesting , informative thread!!! but whew what a loooog read!!

guess it cant hurt to try it though, just dont want to end up smelling "sour" lol

Back