Straighten hair the natural way!

So.....

I did the experiment. Friday morning, I opened a can of coconut milk, and poured most of the 'watery' stuff out of it, leaving me with a thick cream that was on top. Put that in a bowl, added the juice of a whole lime (half didn't seem like enough) mixed it together, and stuck it in the fridge.

Friday night, I came home, pulled it out of the fridge, and found that it was - solid - like butter almost. I added a little water to it, and smushed it into my hair. That junk was COLD, I tell you that.

I left it in for about four hours, then rinsed it out, and started my usual weekend routine (henna & deep conditioning).

I'm done now.....and - I'm - AMAZED, to put it simply. My hair is - soft, soft, soft - but more interestingly - it's - definitely a looser curl pattern. I combed through my hair like it was silk - only hit TWO knots as I was combing it out, and it's soooooooo soft. SO soft and silky.

Does it definitely loosen tightly coiled, fine hair? Yes.
Does it definitely make my hair feel like silk? Yes.
Does it make my hair easier to comb through? Yes.
Will I be doing this on a regular basis? DEFINITELY!!

I feel like Prince Akeem in 'Coming to America' - using the natural juices and berries that our Creator gave us to make my hair beautiful.

Glad it worked for you. I would still in future use half a lime as it has a cumulative effect when used on a regular basis. I have not used it more than 3 times around a year ago and it really caused my hair to loosen it's curl. I no longer use it because my hair is already the texture I plan to stay with without any aids. But do not forget to add moisturizing conditioners or just use the coconut milk with conditioner to keep it from getting dry. bonjour

nappywomyn said:
So.....

I did the experiment. Friday morning, I opened a can of coconut milk, and poured most of the 'watery' stuff out of it, leaving me with a thick cream that was on top. Put that in a bowl, added the juice of a whole lime (half didn't seem like enough) mixed it together, and stuck it in the fridge.

Friday night, I came home, pulled it out of the fridge, and found that it was - solid - like butter almost. I added a little water to it, and smushed it into my hair. That junk was COLD, I tell you that.

I left it in for about four hours, then rinsed it out, and started my usual weekend routine (henna & deep conditioning).

I'm done now.....and - I'm - AMAZED, to put it simply. My hair is - soft, soft, soft - but more interestingly - it's - definitely a looser curl pattern. I combed through my hair like it was silk - only hit TWO knots as I was combing it out, and it's soooooooo soft. SO soft and silky.

I feel like Prince Akeem in 'Coming to America' - using the natural juices and berries that our Creator gave us to make my hair beautiful.

Woaaa I'm gonna try it definitely:up: !
Thank you nappywomyn.

nappywomyn said:
So.....

I will def. try this when I get really post relaxer!

I tried whole cow's milk and really liked the results. It did make my hair feel much silkier and my hair had good elasticity when it dried. You can read the details and see some pics in my hair journal here: Milk Experiment.
I'm definitely going to try it again. Maybe at some point in the future I'll try the coconut and lime mixture, but for now I'll stick with the regular milk and see what the cumulative effects are.

Mahalialee4: Oh, definitely - not only will I only use half a lime next time, I will also NOT pour the watery bits of the coconut milk off - I think that was why I needed to add water.

Jenell85: I used KAME brand - it was just some coconut milk I had in the cabinet, so I doubt that the brand makes much of a difference.

I changed from coconut milk to coconut creme a while ago it's less messy and I mix that in with my condish mixture to do a deep conditioning treatment and it works great. I don't use the lemons or limes anymore.

Last edited:
Last night, after I shampooed and rinsed in the shower, I poured warm coconut milk on my hair in the shower, and then rinsed it well. I have never had happier hair. Then braided it in 4 large braids. This morning I oiled it with EVO. It is thick and feels so strong and I love the feel of my hair. Best conditioner it has ever had. Talk about instant conditioning. bonjour

I thought this concoction wasn't working for me until I looked at some pictures and realized that indeed my curl pattern was looser. I'm going to start using it again.

I also used it on my mother's hair and she said she could tell a difference when she didn't use this.

OK I just did this and my combout was like a dream. I will be 10 weeks post texlax and it feels close to a fresh relaxer after combout. It's still wet, so as far as loosen to curl pattern I dunno. I used 2% lowfat milk and I cwed with condish and lemon juice. I gonna due it twice a week and will update. I'm drying my hair in a ponytail now. I am a 4a with coffee strirrer curls. Transitioning

How were conks made back in the day? Potatoes and lye? What were they concocting in the movie X? I would not be surprised if there were a natural way to mix a hair straightener.

OK I still seem to have my coils. The thing I notice about this is that it reduces shrinkage. I am 10weeks post wednesday and usually, by this time, my hair looks thin at the bottom,now its thicker and more consistant with the rest of my hair, like it is with a fresh texlax. I am really loving this alternative because I am approaching 12 weeks which is the time I usually texlax. This will give me the edge to press forward. I really love my curls so that fact that its temporary is great. Has anyone else transitioned using this method?

I am uppin this because I actually plan on doing this tomorrow night, I will also post the results.

I have read this entire thread and I have decided to do the traditional coconut milk can to ½ juice of 1 lime, I will also add 2 tablespoons of a deep conditioner to the mix I plan on letting it sit overnight tonight and then tomorrow night after a moisturizing shampoo I will put it on my hair and sit under a warm drier for 40 minutes then leave it on for another hour or so then shampoo it and deep condition for another 20 mins. This should keep me busy all night… hope it helps with those fairies

Qetesh said:
I am uppin this because I actually plan on doing this tomorrow night, I will also post the results.

I have read this entire thread and I have decided to do the traditional coconut milk can to ½ juice of 1 lime, I will also add 2 tablespoons of a deep conditioner to the mix I plan on letting it sit overnight tonight and then tomorrow night after a moisturizing shampoo I will put it on my hair and sit under a warm drier for 40 minutes then leave it on for another hour or so then shampoo it and deep condition for another 20 mins. This should keep me busy all night… hope it helps with those fairies

Hi Qetesh I'm waiting for your updates :babyg:
it gives me the same results as henna : my curl pattern was looser !

soun said:
Hi Qetesh I'm waiting for your updates :babyg:
it gives me the same results as henna : my curl pattern was looser !

so i did it last night, it was MESSY, i ended up just putting it on in the tub and letting it all run thro then once it was no longer dripping like crazy(i should have gotten the more expensive coconut milk prolly thicker) i got out put it up and sat under the drier for 20 mins then i jus let it sit for about 2 hours, after i rinced it out and co-washed with hello hydrations (it also contains coconut milk) then i did a quick 3 minute deep condish from aussie moist. my hair is completly dry now and i will admit that my curl pattern is slightly looser, nothing serious but about 1 1/2 inches longer in its natural dry state if that counts for anything i get MAJOR shrinkage anyway. i do love the smell of coconut and lime so it was fun for me anyway. what i like the most is my hair seems less tangled than normal. i will try this again in a month or so with a thicker coconut milk.

i am lazy with pics but my hair is laying down better than it was previously which is a good thing.

Qetesh said:
so i did it last night, it was MESSY, i ended up just putting it on in the tub and letting it all run thro then once it was no longer dripping like crazy(i should have gotten the more expensive coconut milk prolly thicker) i got out put it up and sat under the drier for 20 mins then i jus let it sit for about 2 hours, after i rinced it out and co-washed with hello hydrations (it also contains coconut milk) then i did a quick 3 minute deep condish from aussie moist. my hair is completly dry now and i will admit that my curl pattern is slightly looser, nothing serious but about 1 1/2 inches longer in its natural dry state if that counts for anything i get MAJOR shrinkage anyway. i do love the smell of coconut and lime so it was fun for me anyway. what i like the most is my hair seems less tangled than normal. i will try this again in a month or so with a thicker coconut milk.

i am lazy with pics but my hair is laying down better than it was previously which is a good thing.

I'm happy it has worked for you;)....I remember now....When i tried it I didn't use the lime juice :look: !

I just twisted my hair the other day but the next time I take my hair down completely (like in 2 to three weeks) I will give this a try. Heck next week I might even try it with my twists inplace. Anyhow, I will post an update.

I am going to do the lime and coconut thing.

First tonight, I am putting milk in my hair...i sprayed it on..went under my heating cap for about 30 minutes...right now I am goin to let it dry for about 45 minutes and then im going to continue my regimine.

i'll post an update

What a great thread!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Well I have 4b hair maybe a little 4a right in the middle, and my hair length with shrinkage (not stretching hair out) is about 6 inches.

I squeezed out the juice from two limes, and used 1/2 a pint of whole milk, whisked together with a fork and dipped my hair in the mixture. After making sure my head was covered in it, I placed a shower cap on my head, and then a swimming cap because my fro made the shower cap baggy:grin: I've also got a towel wrapped round it.

I've had the mixture on for an hour and will leave it on for a few more hours. I must say that when I combed my hair with the mixture on it was a lot easier to comb through. So I'm hoping it turns out ok. ...will keep you posted.

I just twisted my hair the other day but the next time I take my hair down completely (like in 2 to three weeks) I will give this a try. Heck next week I might even try it with my twists inplace. Anyhow, I will post an update.

Wow Ariel, what beautiful hair you have, I'm simply blown away. Your hair is lovely and thick and very healthy. Keep rockin that hair!

What a great thread!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Well I have 4b hair maybe a little 4a right in the middle, and my hair length with shrinkage (not stretching hair out) is about 6 inches.

I squeezed out the juice from two limes, and used 1/2 a pint of whole milk, whisked together with a fork and dipped my hair in the mixture. After making sure my head was covered in it, I placed a shower cap on my head, and then a swimming cap because my fro made the shower cap baggy:grin: I've also got a towel wrapped round it.

I've had the mixture on for an hour and will leave it on for a few more hours. I must say that when I combed my hair with the mixture on it was a lot easier to comb through. So I'm hoping it turns out ok. ...will keep you posted.

Not sure what type of milk you're using... but I used coconut milk/3 limes/honey/cholesterol conditioner. I use it 2xs a week and it made a big difference. I am able to detangle using my fingers. Its great!:grin:

Back