Stealthing: Men Who Secretly Remove Condoms During Sex

BrownBetty

My goodness... I am at a loss for words.

Source

SEXUAL ASSAULT
The Growing Movement of Men Who Secretly Remove Condoms During Sex

by Kimberly Lawson
APR 24 2017 6:20 PM
the-growing-movement-of-men-removing-condoms-during-sex-without-consent-1493057791.jpg

PHOTO BY JUAN MOYANO VIA STOCKSY

A new study takes an in-depth look at the practice of removing a condom during sex without a partner's knowledge or consent, also known as "stealthing."

Two years ago, a 19-year-old Florida teen posted a call for advice in the subreddit askgaybros. In the post, he said he met a guy on Grindr and went back to his place to hook up. When the guy asked to have sex without a condom, the teenager explicitly said no. But during the encounter, he discovered his partner had removed the condom. Panicking and unsure of what to do, the poster said he endured the experience, "already ****ing crying in my head."

It was only his sixth sexual encounter, he wrote, and he felt "ruined."

The reddit post sheds light on a common, although rarely discussed, form of gender-based violence: the practice of a man removing a condom during sex without his partner's knowledge or consent. A new study published in the Columbia Journal of Gender and Law last week goes more in-depth on this phenomenon, also known as "stealthing."

Alexandra Brodsky, a legal fellow at the National Women's Law Center and author of the study, spoke with a number of people, mostly women, who have experienced nonconsensual condom removal. While every survivor's experience is different, Brodsky pointed to two common themes that appeared in her conversations: "The first is that, unsurprisingly, survivors fear unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections," she writes. "The second is that, apart from these specific outcomes, survivors experienced nonconsensual condom removal as a clear violation of their bodily autonomy and the trust they had mistakenly placed in their sexual partner."

Read more: Man Convicted of Rape After Removing Condom During Sex Without Consent

One woman told Brodsky: "Obviously the part that really freaked me out . . . was that it was such a blatant violation of what we'd agreed to. I set a boundary. I was very explicit." Another, recognizing how similarly violating "stealthing" felt to other forms of sexual assault, called the practice "rape-adjacent."

In an interview with the Huffington Post, Brodsky says she became aware of the phenomenon during law school four years ago, when many of her friends were "struggling with forms of mistreatment by sexual partners that weren't considered part of the recognized repertoire of gender based violence ― but that seemed rooted in the same misogyny and lack of respect."

Those are some dark corners of the Internet that I would like to never visit again
For her study, she sought to find testimonies from victims online; instead, she came across the term "stealthing" and discovered narratives from actual perpetrators teaching others how to exercise their "natural male right."

"Those are some dark corners of the Internet that I would like to never visit again," she tells Broadly.

One instance she points to in her article was penned by someone who went by the username onesickmind. He documented "a comprehensive guide" to stealth sex on the website Experience Project, including suggestions on how to get away with condom removal, which he noted "should be reserved as a last resort or for the experienced pros at stealth sex."

"Of course," he writes, "you can always try the, 'what's wrong? I thought you knew it was off? You mean you didn't feel it? I thought you knew!!' approach which for me has had a surprisingly high success rate."

The study suggests the practice may violate a number of criminal and civil laws, but also admits many existing statutes may prove "insufficient for victims" who want to take legal recourse against a perpetrator for nonconsensual condom removal. (None of the survivors Brodksy interviewed took legal action, but it's worth noting that a man in Switzerland was convicted of rape earlier this year for secretly removing a condom during sex.) In order to really address victims' needs and help redefine sexual norms, the study states, a new law specific to condom removal might be the best path forward.

Brodsky says one of her goals with this research was to give language to a common experience. In the conversations she had with survivors, she found that "their struggle to name the practice felt really intertwined with the struggle to feel confident that it was a form of gender violence."

"Everyone knew that it felt like a serious violation," Brodsky says. "Everyone knew it was a betrayal of trust. A number of the people I talked to felt like because it wasn't something they'd heard discussed, because it wasn't something they had a name for, they struggled to know how to think about it in the context of other disrespectful and violent sexual experiences they'd had."

For More News Like This, Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Putting a name to a horrific act is the first step to condemning it, she says. "We can't have the conversations we need to have and we can't push back against something if we don't know what to call it."

Additionally, she says, she didn't want to give promoters of this practice control over how we understand it. "I think that term ["stealthing"] really trivializes the harm; it obscures the violence and makes it sound sneaky and maybe regrettable but ultimately an inevitable part of sex, and that's not true. We deserve better than that."

The last time I had sex I kept feeling it to make sure it was on and he hadn't removed it because I didn't know him well. It was nerve wracking and I never want to go through that ever again. I need a sense of security.

I had my then bf do this once. I told him I felt violated and to not do it again. He didnt take me seriously.

So the next time we had sex, I tried to stick a pencil up his behind.

No more issues.

An old gf sat in my face and told me her bf did this. I was so mad for her. She left him for a month them went back. A year later she had a recurring itch and she was pregnant. I wish she took a page from your book.

Good for you speaking up.

wait... huh?!

I had to teach him a lesson. He made me feel I was being irrational.

So to TEACH HIM, I place a pencil under my pillow. Let him ride me and I very casually place the erase end and the metal piece up his butt.

He asked me why would I do that and I said because I wanted to, like you removing the condom. He said it wasn't the same thing. I said true. But you feel pretty violated now don't you?

Excellent!

I had to teach him a lesson. He made me feel I was being irrational.

So to TEACH HIM, I place a pencil under my pillow. Let him ride me and I very casually place the erase end and the metal piece up his butt.

He asked me why would I do that and I said because I wanted to, like you removing the condom. He said it wasn't the same thing. I said true. But you feel pretty violated now don't you?

You'd have to not feel it come off to be in this situation. If you felt it come off and spoke on it then this wouldn't be a thing.

I have never been a situation where someone has taken off a condom or one came off. Had them burst one or twice when things got crazy but you can both feel that when it happens. You stop what you're doing, regroup and get back to it.

One of my married male friends said if a woman has to have sex with a condom then she shouldn't have sex with him. Means there's no trust or some ish. :rolleyes:

Wow . Guys I've been with are as deathly afraid of having random babies as I am. Therefore it when those 40 and no children because he's gay threads arise I always take a step back.

This is why I think safe sex is a misnomer. It is safer sex, but you're always at risk.

You can use condoms and hormonal birth control but you can still get an STI from kissing. I think people think doing the "right thing" is enough.

We are always at risk if we are sexually active so everyone needs to stay on top of testing.

One of my married male friends said if a woman has to have sex with a condom then she shouldn't have sex with him. or there's no trust or some ish. :rolleyes:

I'd have to agree with your friend. My logic is condoms break and have the ability to fail for different reasons. If the consequence of the condom breaking or failing for any reason outweighs the benefits of sharing my body the decision becomes an easy"Absolutely not. I can't do it."

That risk-benefit analysis doesn't work for me. I could never put more faith in the condom than I put in my ability to choose the right person share my body with.

This thread is mind blowing but choosing someone you trust and are on the same page with works so much better than risking this craziness. The topic itself is is crazy and it is wrong. But letting someone capable of this that close to you scares me more.

Last edited:
I've had someone do this to me before. I was 18. He was 26, I think? I asked him why he would go through the trouble of putting on a condom in front of my face and then later try to take it off? He just sat there looking at me blankly. He wasn't one for thinking much. Smh. Anyway, I did sleep with him again after that. I was young and stupid. He didn't do it again, but I should have been done then and there. I plan on letting my DD know to be aware that men do this ish.
Sometimes you question yourself when things seem off, but disregard your concerns because they seem so stupid. Because who does irrational mess like that, right? Well, some men are hella stupid. It's perfectly OK to call them out and make them uncomfortable and to keep it strolling.

I'd have to agree with your friend. My logic is condoms break and have the ability to fail for different reasons. If the consequence of the condom breaking or failing for any reason outweighs the benefits of sharing my body the decision becomes an easy"Absolutely not. I can't do it."

That risk-benefit analysis doesn't work for me. I could never put more faith in the condom than I put in my ability to choose the right person share my body with.

This thread is mind blowing but choosing someone you trust and are on the same page with works so much better than risking this craziness. The topic itself is is crazy and it is wrong. But letting someone capable of this that close to you scares me more.

See thats the thing. In idealistic fairy tale land, his logic makes sense. But he's not accounting for women having bad pickers and in that case, his logic is a slippery slope.

Back