Yeah no I won't be going out with this guy again. He seems very strange. He text me all day today which normally would be cute but I'm getting a weird feeling. He asked what I was doing this weekend and I told him it was kind of early to know but I may have plans with a work friend on Saturday. He says no no you'll be spending it with me. I'm like dude I haven't even let you know if I want to see you on Thursday.

So I just log onto okc and homeboy has disabled his profile. Another little red flag pops up on my radar. Then he asks me if I'm talking to anyone else on there I say not really and ask him the same. Even though I know he's disabled his profile. He says well I found you so I got rid of it. After one date??? I'm confused. Am I supposed to be flattered? My spidey senses are tingling. He's out.

Yeah no I won't be going out with this guy again. He seems very strange. He text me all day today which normally would be cute but I'm getting a weird feeling. He asked what I was doing this weekend and I told him it was kind of early to know but I may have plans with a work friend on Saturday. He says no no you'll be spending it with me. I'm like dude I haven't even let you know if I want to see you on Thursday.

So I just log onto okc and homeboy has disabled his profile. Another little red flag pops up on my radar. Then he asks me if I'm talking to anyone else on there I say not really and ask him the same. Even though I know he's disabled his profile. He says well I found you so I got rid of it. After one date??? I'm confused. Am I supposed to be flattered? My spidey senses are tingling. He's out.
Yeah, a little too much too soon.

He is definitely hiding a wife and 2 kids

Was suppose to meet up with a guy... someone I know, met a few times before.
He wants me to drive all the way to Tyson's Corner and I live in Silver Spring, closer to Laurel (if you live in the area).... so I told him no, that was like a 45 minute to an hour drive for me but I wouldn't mind meeting up in DC.
He pressed me coming out to VA then gave up. Like literally just gave up. So I asked again if he wanted to meet in DC. He claims he doesn't know any spots in DC (but he is from the area).
So I said ok and stopped replying. These men are too old for me to explain how they are messing up. At the very least be a gentleman and don't ask me to drive so far. Even if we aren't dating. Who does that.
I'm irritated for you. Tysons Corner is faaaaaar (I used to live in DC), and he can EASILY yelp/google/phone a friend about things to do in DC. I was overwhelmed with activities when I lived there.

He wants me to drive all the way to Tyson's Corner and I live in Silver Spring, closer to Laurel (if you live in the area).... so I told him no, that was like a 45 minute to an hour drive for me but I wouldn't mind meeting up in DC.
He pressed me coming out to VA then gave up. Like literally just gave up. So I asked again if he wanted to meet in DC. He claims he doesn't know any spots in DC (but he is from the area).
So I said ok and stopped replying. These men are too old for me to explain how they are messing up. At the very least be a gentleman and don't ask me to drive so far. Even if we aren't dating. Who does that.

How you don't know no spots in DC? :lachen:

:giveheart: don't give up. perhaps it's time for a break.

it's not just you. these men these days of any race are acting a fool.

I swear the advent of the internet has completely changed the way we court and romance and marry. too many damn choices. men have become more fickle than women.

I was an adult before the internet and watched the decline as the dating world slid more and more into hookup culture and this horrid blasé attitude towards marriage.

anyhoo... sorry for the rant!

youre not alone. we're here to listen. :grouphug:

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I just needed to vent. I'm feeling much better now. Just booked two international trips and I'm falling more in love with my career everyday.

But boy are you right. Things have changed so much. Back in college I was curving men left and right. I always had top notch guys chasing me and I didn't give any of them the time of day. Now the tables have turned! All I see around me are men having a blast and women sitting around waiting on them to settle down. I really wish single women had the same type of outlets.

OMG I texted back and forth with a guy who wanted me to meet at a Starbucks in Alexandria. No I am not going to VA for a first date and I'm definitely not going to VA for Starbucks.

It wasn't near a Metro. I said that I need somewhere in DC and near a Metro. I said that several times. He came up with another coffee place in Odenton MD (yes ODENTON!) and said there's a train stop across the street. Mind you I've repeated "DC" and "Metro" over and over. I guess he lives out there? So I said nope that's a commuter rail, not happening. I finally asked he if needed me to suggest a place, if he doesn't know the area well. Crickets.

I cannot believe someone thought I'd take the commuter rail on a first date. No thanks. How would I get home? It doesn't run that late in our area and I haven't met anyone that's worth going that far for a first meeting anyways.

I can't stand men who don't listen, I'm fine if I never hear from him again.

Frankly I don't even want to drive anywhere either for a first date. Better find somewhere convenient for me. This has never been an issue with other guys.

OMG I texted back and forth with a guy who wanted me to meet at a Starbucks in Alexandria. No I am not going to VA for a first date and I'm definitely not going to VA for Starbucks.

It wasn't near a Metro. I said that I need somewhere in DC and near a Metro. I said that several times. He came up with another coffee place in Odenton MD (yes ODENTON!) and said there's a train stop across the street. Mind you I've repeated "DC" and "Metro" over and over. I guess he lives out there? So I said nope that's a commuter rail, not happening. I finally asked he if needed me to suggest a place, if he doesn't know the area well. Crickets.

I cannot believe someone thought I'd take the commuter rail on a first date. No thanks. How would I get home? It doesn't run that late in our area and I haven't met anyone that's worth going that far for a first meeting anyways.

Frankly I don't even want to drive anywhere either for a first date. Better find somewhere convenient for me. This has never been an issue with other guys.

Mine wasn't even a date but he made it clear he would like to date me.... but he sure isn't starting off right.
I just don't understand why these men don't get they need to protect us. Dude you really want me to drive an hour to come see you because you are closer to your house and are more familiar. Who is the woman here?
These men didn't have fathers or male role models who taught them how to date and care for a woman.

So yea, a guy I am messaging on Match says he was a former trainer and would be interested in a workout date. I hit him with the can we see each other clothed before half naked, and he hits me with "lol pick a date, time and venue we can do lunch or dinner"...

Dudes really are on some lazy ish is all I am thinking. Eitherway, not pussyfooting it, my reply, ummm that feels too much like me taking you out. Lets see his response! :perplexed:

Last edited:
So yea, a guy I am messaging on Match says he was a former trainer and would be interested in a workout date. I hit him with the can we see each other clothed before half naked, and he hits me with "lol pick a date, time and venue we can do lunch or dinner"...

Dudes really are on some lazy ish is all I am thinking. Eitherway, not pussyfoot it, my reply, ummm that feels too much like me taking you out. Lets see his response! :perplexed:
Guys today are really so dayum lazy! Just no effort at all....I blame the Mango Mousellini! (Trump :lachen:)

Yea, this is long...

So last night I started reading this book-- well audio book, and I woke up with a smile on my face.

No, I'm not suggesting everyone go out and buy it. We've all purchased enough books. But for me, this book is exactly what I was looking for so just want to share my take on it.

It's called It's Not You: 27 (Wrong) Reasons You're Single

It doesn't tell you what you need to do to get a man, it doesn't talk about Law of Attraction, it doesn't suggest that you completely forget about love and spend thousands of dollars trying to keep up the facade of being a fabulous single woman ala SATC (it actually somewhat condemns this), it doesn't tell you to settle, or to stop looking and just let the universe take over, in fact, it isn't a relationship book at all. It really gives no relationship advice-- it just presents facts and provides ways to re-frame single hood after 30.

The author shares her own story, and that of other women who have dealt with being single at 35+ (most eventually found love, including the author), and presents a different take on why partnership is easier for some than others-- mainly pure luck and circumstance. She uses some psychological and sociological studies to challenge many of the reasons single women are given as to why they are still single.

It hasn't told me anything I don't know-- it is just a breath of fresh air. I love the logic and rational thought process behind it. I'm likely going to do away with many relationship books I have because I really don't need them. They've been a good source of self-improvement, but self-improvement for the sake of finding a relationship is a scam. Work on you for you. None of it guarantees anything.

Nobody is perfect, and most coupled people are no less flawed than the single crowd. If anything, as the book suggests, longtime single women represent some of the most high-quality women out there because they've spent years thriving in a career, creating a life for themselves, and picking apart every flaw in an attempt to be the perfect catch. Some are just single because it was someone else in that aisle of the grocery story with the eligible bachelor instead of them. 99% of love is pure luck. Someone who is single when they don't want to be isn't flawed, they have just been unlucky. But that could change tomorrow, or next week, or next year. Keep living.

I really enjoyed the chapter of the book about sadness and how feeling lonely as a single woman is normal. Society sends mixed messages by celebrating romance and family but then criticizing people for feeling negative emotions about their own lack of romantic love. The desire for companionship is natural. The author doesn't suggest you hide your feelings but just re-frame them. Being sad about being single and choosing to actively look for love doesn't make you pitiful or desperate. It makes you human. Just see the feeling of loneliness for what it is, and experience it, but don't add on to it feelings of guilt or self-loathing. That is what takes it to a dark place.

What many relationship books, articles, and gurus miss is the ability to explain why relationships still happen for the hundreds of thousands of people out there who have done no real self work-- and often times these relationships are still successful. Barring deep set issues like very low self-esteem, crippling mood disorders, or intimacy issues, there are no quirks or flaws that disqualify any single person from a relationship. The married crowd have no secret, they just have had luck in that department. And as the author suggests, until your married peeps are hitting the longtime, 20+ year married mark like our parents and grandparents, their success is still up in the air as well.

Some struck while the iron was hot in their teens and twenties. Others took a chance on rocky relationships that just so happened to improve once they both matured. Others are extreme extroverts and just knew a lot of the right people so the odds were in their favor. Some had supportive friends and family who introduced them to their spouse. And of course, in some cases, it was them instead of you at that concert, in that aisle, in that seat in lecture hall, at the park that morning, etc... As you get older the number of available partners decreases, and your standards get higher, so it takes a little more luck to happen upon the special one. It's musical chairs, and depending on where you are in your life, it might take time for things to realign in your favor-- folks to re-enter the market for example. That's life, and sometimes it is unfair, but there isn't anything wrong with you.

I'm in the last 2 chapters and will probably listen through it again while at work (it is only 4 hours). I feel at peace and like a weight is lifted off of my shoulders. I can let go and just be me. I don't need to fight the loneliness. It comes about once a month, I deal with it, and I feel great for the next 30 days. All of these other books and advice seem empowering in the beginning, but over time I start to feel like something is wrong with me when future boo still doesn't show up. It makes it seem like everyone else I know is part of a special club or has some secret power because they've found love without the aid of books or classes.

It isn't a feel good book but it works for my rational mind.

Just thought I'd share.

And in your case @prettyinpurple - if he was so adamant, he could have at least offer to pay your Uber.
What is it about D.C. these guys don't like?
Girl it is ridiculous.

If I say that I want to meet up in DC then they need to plan accordingly.

If you work in VA and live in MD, you might as well stop by DC on your way home. Hmph.

Now that I think about it, I tend to date guys that live in DC so this is a non-issue.

Yea, this is long...

So last night I started reading this book-- well audio book, and I woke up with a smile on my face.

No, I'm not suggesting everyone go out and buy it. We've all purchased enough books. But for me, this book is exactly what I was looking for so just want to share my take on it.

It's called It's Not You: 27 (Wrong) Reasons You're Single

It doesn't tell you what you need to do to get a man, it doesn't talk about Law of Attraction, it doesn't suggest that you completely forget about love and spend thousands of dollars trying to keep up the facade of being a fabulous single woman ala SATC (it actually somewhat condemns this), it doesn't tell you to settle, or to stop looking and just let the universe take over, in fact, it isn't a relationship book at all. It really gives no relationship advice-- it just presents facts and provides ways to re-frame single hood after 30.

The author shares her own story, and that of other women who have dealt with being single at 35+ (most eventually found love, including the author), and presents a different take on why partnership is easier for some than others-- mainly pure luck and circumstance. She uses some psychological and sociological studies to challenge many of the reasons single women are given as to why they are still single.

It hasn't told me anything I don't know-- it is just a breath of fresh air. I love the logic and rational thought process behind it. I'm likely going to do away with many relationship books I have because I really don't need them. They've been a good source of self-improvement, but self-improvement for the sake of finding a relationship is a scam. Work on you for you. None of it guarantees anything.

Nobody is perfect, and most coupled people are no less flawed than the single crowd. If anything, as the book suggests, longtime single women represent some of the most high-quality women out there because they've spent years thriving in a career, creating a life for themselves, and picking apart every flaw in an attempt to be the perfect catch. Some are just single because it was someone else in that aisle of the grocery story with the eligible bachelor instead of them. 99% of love is pure luck. Someone who is single when they don't want to be isn't flawed, they have just been unlucky. But that could change tomorrow, or next week, or next year. Keep living.

I really enjoyed the chapter of the book about sadness and how feeling lonely as a single woman is normal. Society sends mixed messages by celebrating romance and family but then criticizing people for feeling negative emotions about their own lack of romantic love. The desire for companionship is natural. The author doesn't suggest you hide your feelings but just re-frame them. Being sad about being single and choosing to actively look for love doesn't make you pitiful or desperate. It makes you human. Just see the feeling of loneliness for what it is, and experience it, but don't add on to it feelings of guilt or self-loathing. That is what takes it to a dark place.

What many relationship books, articles, and gurus miss is the ability to explain why relationships still happen for the hundreds of thousands of people out there who have done no real self work-- and often times these relationships are still successful. Barring deep set issues like very low self-esteem, crippling mood disorders, or intimacy issues, there are no quirks or flaws that disqualify any single person from a relationship. The married crowd have no secret, they just have had luck in that department. And as the author suggests, until your married peeps are hitting the longtime, 20+ year married mark like our parents and grandparents, their success is still up in the air as well.

Some struck while the iron was hot in their teens and twenties. Others took a chance on rocky relationships that just so happened to improve once they both matured. Others are extreme extroverts and just knew a lot of the right people so the odds were in their favor. Some had supportive friends and family who introduced them to their spouse. And of course, in some cases, it was them instead of you at that concert, in that aisle, in that seat in lecture hall, at the park that morning, etc... As you get older the number of available partners decreases, and your standards get higher, so it takes a little more luck to happen upon the special one. It's musical chairs, and depending on where you are in your life, it might take time for things to realign in your favor-- folks to re-enter the market for example. That's life, and sometimes it is unfair, but there isn't anything wrong with you.

I'm in the last 2 chapters and will probably listen through it again while at work (it is only 4 hours). I feel at peace and like a weight is lifted off of my shoulders. I can let go and just be me. I don't need to fight the loneliness. It comes about once a month, I deal with it, and I feel great for the next 30 days. All of these other books and advice seem empowering in the beginning, but over time I start to feel like something is wrong with me when future boo still doesn't show up. It makes it seem like everyone else I know is part of a special club or has some secret power because they've found love without the aid of books or classes.

It isn't a feel good book but it works for my rational mind.

Just thought I'd share.

Thanks for this!

Girl it is ridiculous.

If I say that I want to meet up in DC then they need to plan accordingly.

If you work in VA and live in MD, you might as well stop by DC on your way home. Hmph.

Now that I think about it, I tend to date guys that live in DC so this is a non-issue.
Last year, one guy had the nerve to ask me if I would drive to Baltimore... I was like you want me to drive 40 minutes on the road? What if something happened to me. Then he backtracked- no what I meant was, if things go well, will you also come to Baltimore to see me so I am not always driving out there. I just blocked as a response.

Sometimes I feel like women settle for these men that I'm saying no to and it works out for them in the end, because they get a ring.

The guy who lives in the building I work in started to text me again. I've seen you bring women home, then leave in the morning, and you try to convince me they are just friends. I also saw how you disrespected your ex. I just keep telling him to leave me alone to do my job.

The guy who "thinks I'm perfect but didn't plan on dating someone with a child" called me up after we haven't seen each other in a couple of months to ask me if I can meet up with him in 20 minutes. What woman of value would you ask out by saying "I'm already out but if you can be ready in 20 minutes we can meet up before I head home"?

F these n's.

Lee came over to telework and that led to coloring. Very nice. We had a great time hanging out then I dismissed him because I actually have work to do.

And I gave my number to a new guy on Tinder- cancer researcher, educated, nerdy, lanky... how I like them. Don't think it will go far- but he is my "type" and conversation has gone good the last few days.

W hit me up today----- asked me to go to dinner when he gets back from Groton in two weeks. Not sure why he is asking so early but whatever.

Had a good annual check up today. Black woman OB and when I went to draw my blood for my panel- the tech was skilled. The needle went in and out WITHOUT any pain. I get tested for everything every year during my annual so I can have the "clean bill of health".

I just am making sure to take a lot more pics everytime I go out. 20 instead of 2 or none. Also just put on makeup to take a picture to update my profile so my profile picture isn't up there for 3 years. I also take pictures of myself doing my hobbies like going to the gym or dancing or at church. It's annoying but I know several couples that meet over instagram or facebook so I figured I might as well join the social media age.

Monday I was hanging out with ballerbae and friends at a bar. I left before him because I was tired and he was supposed to come over after.

I get home and my "friend" hit me up because he locked himself out and needed a place to stay. If it was any other person I would have said no...but this dude always helps me out with out questions or hesitation.

Ballerbae is pissed at me and I'm pretty sure he won't talk to me for a couple of months....oh well.

And in your case @prettyinpurple - if he was so adamant, he could have at least offer to pay your Uber.
What is it about D.C. these guys don't like?

I hate going into DC. Driving there is terrible and I'm not a fan of the train as well. I'm guessing he didn't want to pay for a car ride either. (Potentially he's just cheap)
I guess I'm the complete opposite, I wouldn't go to DC on the first couple dates cause it's truly a hassle if you aren't being dropped off.

Back