SHOULDER LENGTH 2011 CHALLENGE!

I definitely understand. I want to reach APL and wear my hair down for 2 weeks. I haven't had hair in so long I don't even remember it. Maybe I had hair in 2002?

I remember the thread but I must have been bouncing around and didn't catch the final pictures. You have a nice loose curl pattern. Looks good in a WNG. I just have a big ol fro. :afro:

It only looks like that when I do a wash n go. Any other time, it's just fro'd out too lol. I bought a LF wig that looks like that but longer so I can wear it and get the people at work more used to my natural hair while hiding it and letting it grow out at the same time.

^^^ sorry havent been in this thread for a while. I would say most of my hair is now SL, but I am hoping to make full shoulder length by the end of the year :grin:

I installed kinky twists this weekend to give my hair a break and to stay out of my hair. :lol: I will be installing this more often to get me to APL and probably to BCB as well. I realized after putting these in, if my twists would hang this long I would feel like my hair is long. Not sure what length I would need to get my twists to hang this long.

Still have a lot of practice to do on my install. This is my 2nd. But I learned a lot more this time then I did last time.

KT072011P2.JPG

KT072011P4.JPG

KT072011P6.JPG

KT072011P9.JPG

KT072011P12.JPG

Looking good faithVA..
I installed kinky twists this weekend to give my hair a break and to stay out of my hair. :lol: I will be installing this more often to get me to APL and probably to BCB as well. I realized after putting these in, if my twists would hang this long I would feel like my hair is long. Not sure what length I would need to get my twists to hang this long.

Still have a lot of practice to do on my install. This is my 2nd. But I learned a lot more this time then I did last time.

View attachment 119223

View attachment 119225

View attachment 119227

View attachment 119229

View attachment 119231

faithVA -- I really like your twists. They look like something I can keep in and still have access to my scalp (which drives me crazy when I don't!)

I think I was reading in the APL thread (what I'm doing over there? lol!) that you learned to do your kinky twists from yt. Do you mind posting the link to those videos? Thanks

Loving them @faithVA!!! How long you gonna keep them in?

Thanks NikkiQ,

Not sure how long I will keep them. The original plan was 4 weeks but that's up in the air.

Going to play it week by week. I conditioned the hair before using it which made it really soft so it feels good, but the dang curls won't stay in :lol: I swear even though I bought it, it acts llike my own hair.

@faithVA -- I really like your twists. They look like something I can keep in and still have access to my scalp (which drives me crazy when I don't!)

I think I was reading in the APL thread (what I'm doing over there? lol!) that you learned to do your kinky twists from yt. Do you mind posting the link to those videos? Thanks

Thanks Charla. Even though I added to much hair, kinky twists are really light and you cna make them smaller. You definitely have access to your scalp and they don't itch as much as cornrows.

Honestly, I don't know which videos I watched. I just clicked around and did a search for kinky twists installs. That was last year sometime. I think there is another thread in this forum that talks about links that are helpful.

If I have some time tonight I will see if I can find the thread.

Your twists look great! Maybe I'll give kinky twist a go after this sew-in..

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm still hanging in there...

Hoping to be shoulder length in August when I touch up at 20 weeks, if I can go that long.. :)

I don't even know where else to go at this point...I don't know any of the people in the other challenge...plus I won't be APL til next yr im sure so I guess I'll just wait for the 2012 challenge.

I don't even know where else to go at this point...I don't know any of the people in the other challenge...plus I won't be APL til next yr im sure so I guess I'll just wait for the 2012 challenge.

:lol: I don't mean to laugh but you sound like a lost orphan. You can stick around in here w/us!

I didn't even realize there isn't a 2012 APL Challenge. Challenges have been popping up super early these days so I'm surprised. Maybe closer to yr end someone will start it up.

That's why I'm staying in here til I make APL. I'm in other APL threads but it's just not the same.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

How's it going ladies??

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

Been layin low n loving my sew in! It's been 1 1/2 weeks.. been moisturizing every other day, but haven't washed yet!! Think I'm going to try washing and DC tonight, but I'm a little scared since the hair is straight. Hoping it'll come out just as nice ::fingers crossed:: but if not imma go to the salon this weekend to have it bumped!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Nothing to report here. I'm already itching to take the kinky twists out. I will try to do a quick shampoo and oil rinse this weekend and see how it holds up. Even though I thought I had installed them ok, while on vacation I figured out a way to get them a little firmer so I redid most of them. However, I still have some lose ones. And the back doesn't stay no matter what I do. So i will have to remove those and redo them.

I really need to keep my hair tucked away as much as possible until my next length check at the end of August. My mother does nothing to her hair and it just grows. I do EVERYTHING I'm SUPPOSED to and my hair talks back to me. :tantrum:

I feel like my hair is at a stand still right now. Just blah. Big ball of hair on my head.

I know, right. I'm so bored and impatient. I think its bc I've been SL before in my life, so really its APL thats going to be the big milestone for me, and until I get there I'm going to be on edge wondering if its really going to happen. Once I get there, I will be like ok, now I know its possible for my hair to be long and all this work wasn't in vain.

Really I just need to not think about it at all until my next length check in Sept.

Nothing to report here. I'm already itching to take the kinky twists out. I will try to do a quick shampoo and oil rinse this weekend and see how it holds up. Even though I thought I had installed them ok, while on vacation I figured out a way to get them a little firmer so I redid most of them. However, I still have some lose ones. And the back doesn't stay no matter what I do. So i will have to remove those and redo them.

I really need to keep my hair tucked away as much as possible until my next length check at the end of August. My mother does nothing to her hair and it just grows. I do EVERYTHING I'm SUPPOSED to and my hair talks back to me. :tantrum:

Yup, some people just got it like that, can press it, relax it, color it, whatever and it just grows. I'm just not one of them:lol:

It is what it is, I'm just playing it by ear seeing what I can and cannot do to my hair. I want to at least be able to wear my hair straight about 5 or 6 times a year and do twists or some other protective style the rest of the time.

I'm just trying to keep very detailed notes and pics on what i'm doing and my progress so I can keep up with what is and is not working. (whenever I make my next length goal, I will be doing a very long and detailed thread:lol:)

I know, right. I'm so bored and impatient. I think its bc I've been SL before in my life, so really its APL thats going to be the big milestone for me, and until I get there I'm going to be on edge wondering if its really going to happen. Once I get there, I will be like ok, now I know its possible for my hair to be long and all this work wasn't in vain.

Really I just need to not think about it at all until my next length check in Sept.

I don't think I'm going to do another length check until December. I don't feel the urge to flat iron my hair anytime soon. I am interested in trying to band and do some fun twist and briad styles.

Hi ladies,

I've been MIA for a few weeks now, but here's my update.

So a year ago this july, i ended up cutting all my hair to get rid of damage from not taking good care of colored hair. most of the color was cut off. so i looked like this in july last year:

37.jpg

two months later:
short.jpg

in march i cut off the last inch of colored hair. in april i looked like this:

lengthapril.jpg

yesterday i went to the salon for the first time to get my hair straightened and trimmed properly because i started getting SSKs:

(i left the salon, with a sleek, coiffed looked. i was not outside for TWO MINUTES when the humidity poofed my hair up!)

13jultrim2.jpg

13jultrim.jpg

This is the LONGEST and HEALTHIEST my straight hair has ever looked (sad I know, but i looked a HOT MESS in my relaxed days!) it even makes a bigger ponytail than i had in all the years i was relaxed.

thanks for your support (just by being following your journeys i knew i could do it too) :D

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

I've been MIA for a few weeks now, but here's my update.

So a year ago this july, i ended up cutting all my hair to get rid of damage from not taking good care of colored hair. most of the color was cut off. so i looked like this in july last year:

37.jpg

two months later:
short.jpg

in march i cut off the last inch of colored hair. in april i looked like this:

lengthapril.jpg

yesterday i went to the salon for the first time to get my hair straightened and trimmed properly because i started getting SSKs:

(i left the salon, with a sleek, coiffed looked. i was not outside for TWO MINUTES when the humidity poofed my hair up!)

13jultrim2.jpg

13jultrim.jpg

This is the LONGEST and HEALTHIEST my straight hair has ever looked (sad I know, but i looked a HOT MESS in my relaxed days!) it even makes a bigger ponytail than i had in all the years i was relaxed.

thanks for your support (just by being following your journeys i knew i could do it too) :D
Congrats!!!! you will be SL before you know it.. cant wait to see ya progress..

Sorry its been a while but I was having some technical difficulties with my camera. Sorry the pics are blurry. This is my update.

Attachments

• natural hair 5.jpg
    natural hair 5.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 33
  • natural hair4.jpg
    natural hair4.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 31
Mini-Update pic:
IMAG0482.jpg

It is still growing...I guess, I need to straighten it to show the true length, but I'm lazy and scared and I promised myself I wouldn't do it before September, mt 1-year BC anniversary, and I won't. I guess these stretch length checks will have to do. Can you tell I'm over my hair these days? lol, but I'm going to keep on growing!!! HHJ ladies.

Back