Relaxed Hair Thread

I really liked Olaplex 9 Bond Protector.

I used only that when I did this (ETA - No, I used Pureology 21 leave-in too):

IMG_2401.jpeg

My hair was really soft, flowy, and shiny. I need to actually buy a bottle (I had a few deluxe samples), but I have so many heat protectants to use up and so many samples to try; plus, I rarely use heat.

My other favs are:
Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightner
Kerastase Nectar Thermique
L’anza Trauma Treatment

If I’m only blow drying, I just use Pureology 21 and Olaplex bonding oil.

@Theresamonet

Your Hair looks Amazing.:drool: Beautiful and Healthy.:love: Your current Regimen is really paying off :brainy:

Thank you! But unfortunately this was taken back before my hair started being a pain in the ass out the blue. The next time I will straighten my hair to this degree will be February 1st. I’ve started a personal 6 month challenge. Hopefully it will look as healthy then.

@MzSwift - Re Cholesterol DC + Braggs Amino Acids + baking soda + orange EO for scent:
Do you have measurements or a post with them listed? Or is this a 'pour til the ancestors say 'Stop'?

Also when I read baking soda, I immediately sang "You need to cut ittt..." like O.T. Genasis so thanks for that :lachen:

You nailed it! I don't measure. lol

I've estimated somewhere on here before so I'll rough it again if it helps :)

In an old cholesterol jar I fill it about 1/3 jar of Queen Helene cholesterol. I pour in the Braggs until it's a puddle about 1/4" high on top of the condish. Maybe that's about 5 tbsp or 1/3 cup. Add in 8-10 drops of sweet orange EO (or any EO or fragrance oil you like). Sometimes I even squeeze in 3-4 squirts of a moisturizing condish (Tressemme Moisture Rich) to help with the scent. Lastly, add the baking soda. You have to add it in last bc the baking soda will cause the mixture to get frothy and expand as you stir. I would start with 3 tbsp of baking soda and stir. If the combo isn't getting frothy, add 3 tbsp at a time until the mixture starts to get frothy and expands.

I apply it to my hair like a virgin relaxer in sections but starting at the roots. It's very messy and runny so I do it over the sink. Once every strand is covered, I put on a plastic cap (or two grocery bags) and bandana and then I use a thermal/heat conditioning cap for at least 20-30 minutes. You should feel the difference in your hair as soon as you rinse.

I also do it as my post-relaxer DC after every relaxer to help get rid of the chemical smell. My avi picture is post relaxer after Amino Acid tx.

Hair update:
I mentioned I was 5 weeks in these micro braids but I forgot to note that I will try to stretch even longer to only do one more refresh around 8/18. Then I'll rock them for 6 more weeks and take down to relax in October for my 2-year relaxer anniversary. It'll be nice to have a good comparison and to see if what I've been doing is actually working.

I have never left my braids in this long without refreshing and I hope I don't suffer bc of it. I'll have to take my time during the refresh. I have a TON of new growth so that's exciting. Also DH pulled the back down other day and I'm happy with my progress so far. My hair goal is to have WHIP-HL mini braids.

Your hair is beautiful @Theresamonet Don't worry it'll come back, hair is so resilient like that, the bounce/come back is always good.

I'm going through some challenges of my own, although some of that has been self-inflicted due to laziness. I'm getting back on track now so I'm pretty sure it will be back to where it should be within 6 months.

I love these too:-

Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightner
Kerastase Nectar Thermique

They make my hair very silky. But I'm using JVN Instant Recovery Serum currently, which is a little bit cheaper than the aforementioned and it enables that lovely silky sheen also.

Last edited:
I've not used protein in a long while, I assumed that I would be okay with bond builders, I'm not sure why I assumed that because I know full well that they do two different jobs. I know it's not the same with everyone, but my hair needs regular protein and I haven't really been doing it, so that's my bad really.

When I use a good protein it somehow makes my hair receive and retain moisture better and my hair styles better. I can't explain why and how but it just does. So from now on I will be back to incorporating a very regular protein cycle from now on.

I feel like dancing :poledancer::naughtycouch: after my washday today, like what is life. I used the sheer pureology hydrate. Hair is smooth using @MzSwift heat protector. My scalp feels like love it’s distinct. Y’all don’t judge me too harshly I’m doing a lot to stay on this earth so moments of joy I share me in full.

Good for you, it's great when you have nailed your washday and it just works effortlessly. I use Pureology too, well the leave in, it's very good!

When I use a good protein it somehow makes my hair receive and retain moisture better and my hair styles better.

Absolutely!!
This is one of the first "hair truths" the ladies taught me back in the day. Protein not only strengthens our hair but it also contributes to better moisture retention. I've also witnessed that protein is necessary for good retention and can even speed up growth.

The problem happens when ladies start overusing the protein, you know too much of a good thing.

I gotta find something that moisturises and soothes the itchiness without reversion. Y'all got any suggestions?
I thought about this too late but I probably could've bought some oil and put it in one of my moisturizers. Anywho, I bought this olive oil and aloe moisturizer from Originals by Africa's best. Or maybe I can mix this with something I have already

I think when I relax, imma skip this one section because my head is a bit sore in that spot. I think I have about 1/2 inch of new growth. So far so good, although this week was supposed to be a flat iron week it quickly turned into a braids week. I hate when it's too hot to wear a bun or ponytail.

I like to check in on my progress to help stay positive and on track. My hair is getting challenging as I get older, but I'll deal with it.

This is from August 2020. I captioned it in my Fotki: just can't get right! - I'm not giving up! I WILL get my hair back!
20200825_114105.jpg

This is from tonight:
20240807_190812.jpg

I went through a lot of stress and breakage after the first pic, but I'm happy that I predicted I'd get my hair back. It's slow going and I'm here for the long haul.

Happy hair growing!

Back