Relaxed Hair Thread

I don't think long term protective styles are for me. I have practically damaged my hair in the process. I always lose so much hair during the take down. I managed to avoid matting during this last take down by detangling section by section then cowashing first, comb, and then shampoo. But my hair feels so thin now. I lost so much hair. The goal was to relax only twice a year and get my hair fuller but now I can't even wear it out because it has become so thin. I don't know what to do with it now. I'm scared of braiding it and I'm tired of lace front wigs. Would have preferred a sew-in with leave out but leaving my hair long term in cornrows damages my hair. Feeling so frustrated.

I don't think long term protective styles are for me. I have practically damaged my hair in the process. I always lose so much hair during the take down. I managed to avoid matting during this last take down by detangling section by section then cowashing first, comb, and then shampoo. But my hair feels so thin now. I lost so much hair. The goal was to relax only twice a year and get my hair fuller but now I can't even wear it out because it has become so thin. I don't know what to do with it now. I'm scared of braiding it and I'm tired of lace front wigs. Would have preferred a sew-in with leave out but leaving my hair long term in cornrows damages my hair. Feeling so frustrated.
I'm so sorry you're discouraged. Maybe it's the combing that's eating up your thickness? That was my case. It was mini braids and my fingers for a good minute. Maybe a style that you can do for a week, then take down?

Just for giggles are there any heat protectants we are madly in love with? For research.

I still use cheap ole IC Fantasia heat protectant serum!!

1722346965895.png

I tried another spray heat protectant once, I think it was Tressemme or Paul Mitchell, years ago and hated it. It was sticky and I ended up washing my hair after having done everything.

I've tried using Aphogee Keratin Green Tea as a heat protectant bc it was reportedly lightweight and hated it. I think sprays are just too sticky for me.

Then I tried to stretch my relaxers using heat and bought this CHI Infra system.
1722347218123.png
Absolutely hated it! It was a waste of time to use this system. My roots reverted overnight! You're better off just using what you normally use.

1722348212325.png

But IC Fantasia serum has been good to me and my hair since 2010. I even used the same bottle for about 8 years before I finally threw it away and bought a new one. :look: I always straighten my hair at night after the kids are down and then wrap it up overnight. My hair is still straight then next morning. I've used a small amount (dime sized for the whole head) and even have been heavy handed (nickel or quarter size amount for each quadrant) with good results either way. It doesn't weigh down my hair when I'm heavy handed.

A trick I've learned for getting smooth results whenever I have a lot of new growth or texture is doing an amino acid tx as my DC after washing with a sulfate poo. I use Cholesterol DC + Braggs Amino Acids + baking soda + orange EO for scent. It gets my hair silky smooth and very soft.

This was 13 weeks post AND y'all know I texlax leaving a lot of texture. The results were silky and straight from root to tip and this was taken after having wrapped overnight. And I get these results consistently, every time I do the tx.

1722350501753.png

((BIG HUG))

I have lots of questions but my hunch is that long term PSing isn't the devil for you. So if you love doing it and it works for your lifestyle, let's figure out a way to make it healthier for your hair!

How long is long term?
What do you do to your hair while it's in the LT PS?

It sounds like take down is where you're experiencing issues.
What is your take down process?
How long are you giving yourself to complete your take down process?

You could also adjust the way you're styling your hair under your wigs. For instance, a lot of ladies can't cornrow and have had good experiences just plaiting or twisting their hair under wigs instead. I've seen someone do two low pigtail braids and then wrap them flat against the back of the head and pin them down under wigs. I think even two Dutch braids and then wrapping the tails flat against the head could be a good option too! Maybe you'd have to choose a wig with more texture for a little while to hide any lumps. Oh, are you wearing a wig cap underneath your wigs??

If you're tired of wigs, I think you could do a sew in in a way that allows you to care for your hair underneath.
I've personally witnessed A LOT of ladies grow out damage using sew ins and wigs. They have good growth and retention by using diluted poo and condish (like 80% water) in a pointed tipped bottle every 2 weeks to wash and DC their cornrows underneath. Granted, most of them were rocking curly or wet-n-wavy weave hair so it was conducive to that kind of care. But it's entirely possible to protect and care for your hair under the sew in if that's what you're feeling.

I think as long as we can get your hair some regular DCing (if that hasn't been happening), you can turn it around! :)

I fell off a little since life’s been so busy. I’m still washing weekly so it’s better than nothing but I really feel like twice a week has my hair in better condition.

I messed up cause I wrote down a hair routine on my notepad at some point but didn’t write down the date. Measured my hair today and the measurement is 3 inches longer. I’m pretty sure it was around when I was trying to do some testing for the extensioniste line which was ordered on May 20. I am writing it down with today’s date cause I’m not about to believe my hair grew 3x as fast all of a sudden. I haven’t even been as good with it as I planned to be (3x / week for shampoo, mask, scalp serum and leave in) but I have consistently used the shampoo. Also need to make sure I measure the same way ( forehead hair to ends).

Note to check in for October with revair blow dried hair.
Today (July 30) 24”

I must be doing better than I thought because I looked these up and wasn't bothered by the price. :lachen:

I just want something that works. :)

But, I also love when @MzSwift talks about those old school products that are still around and actually work.

Had a friend the other week talking about Blue Magic! :drunk:
Your def wealthy woman activities like your top of the line. And blue magic woo that’s a throwback.

giphy.gif
Now I have an account with Kérastase. Ulta and I already go steady often. It could be substance at least my hair will be ok.

These are wealthy woman activities.
Lolll I used to spend alot more when I was going to the salon 3x a month so in a sense I’m cutting back! I do really like my results though.
Kérastase thermique -> Kenra platinum blow dry spray-> revair or Dyson if I need extra smoothing-> Redken thermal low hold -> flat iron-> top with lightweight product like olaplex oil or Kérastase oil ->feel fabulous :gorgeous:

I don’t always flat iron but I feel decently protected when I do since I layer the heat protection on my hair. I have more heat protection products than anything else I think.

Lolll I used to spend alot more when I was going to the salon 3x a month so in a sense I’m cutting back! I do really like my results though.
Kérastase thermique -> Kenra platinum blow dry spray-> revair or Dyson if I need extra smoothing-> Redken thermal low hold -> flat iron-> top with lightweight product like olaplex oil or Kérastase oil ->feel fabulous :gorgeous:

I don’t always flat iron but I feel decently protected when I do since I layer the heat protection on my hair. I have more heat protection products than anything else I think.
I like this I only blow dry but I’m toying with the Kérastase because it’s extra fab. I was looking at the Kenra last night and the Redken. I just don’t want burned hair.

Back