Relaxed Hair Thread

OK, I've been sleeping on this and the Robitussin is wearing off.

I dunno if you asked me bc you were looking for a protein tx or more moisture but the recipe I gave you is my protein tx. I mentioned before that there are times when I add moisturizing condish to the mix for scent. Sometimes I'm a bit heavyhanded with that :look:. When I first started doing the mixture back in 2015, I actually just used a moisturizing condish like Aussie Moist 3 min or regular Aussie Moist as my base bc I've always had a healthy fear of protein overload. But the mixture expands and gets really messy after adding baking soda so I wanted to use a thicker base. I started using cholesterol as my DC base for all of my mixes. The mix worked well for me both ways so I just stuck w cholesterol and didn't think anything of it until your update.

So your update got me thinking, I wonder if you would benefit more from YOUR mix having a more moisturizing DC base, with the amino acids (lite protein) and then only a few tsp of baking soda (NOT TBSPs) start with like two tsp. The purpose of the baking soda in the mix is to raise the pH enough to open your cuticle to allow the nutrients of whatever you've mixed to penetrate into the hair shaft (since the cuticles are open). In this case, it would be the amino acids and whatever moisturizing DC you've chosen. And it sounds like your hair doesn't need much baking soda in order to lift your cuticles.

I know warm/hot water is supposed to lift our cuticles and cold water is supposed to close them on their own but I wonder if sometimes it's not enough for the purpose of the conditioners we're trying to use. Which is why we use heat to open the cuticles and bake in the nutrients. I still say following up or ending with a cold water rinse on the hair can be beneficial to help ensure that the cuticles are properly closed before moving on.

A lot of what you explained (sticky, velcro like hair that mats/locks up) sounded like hair acts when cuticles are left open. It's very similar to how the hair acts with too much protein but the brittleness isn't present right away.

Now, I'm only suggesting this in case you're still up for trying out things to find something - since you already have the ingredients. lol
I didn’t catch the part about this being a protein treatment at all! I thought this was a treatment to soften new growth. That’s totally on me! My hair twisting into mini dreads makes sense since it does that if I leave henna in too long. Henna is my usual ‘protein’ treatment. Thank you troubleshooting this for me! I was trying to soften my NG bc it’s been 8 months since my last relaxer when I usually relax at 3-4 mths. But I’m getting my hair done on Friday!!

Design Essentials relaxers are the one thing I miss about going to the salon. DE never let me down and relaxed perfectly each time.

I was able to find it online for a while, but stylists have the license to buy. Never heard of the Honey Shield version, but would love to try it.
Well I don't know if you want to take a chance on Ammyzon, but I saw it on there.

Design Essentials relaxers are the one thing I miss about going to the salon. DE never let me down and relaxed perfectly each time.

I was able to find it online for a while, but stylists have the license to buy. Never heard of the Honey Shield version, but would love to try it.
That left me under processed, but my new growth is feisty and likes to coil up.

Sounds like it's right up your alley too, honey queen! :)

@MzSwift How you doing Cuz?

Hey Cuz!:hugxplode:

Thanks for checking in. :)
Girl, I'm STILL holding on to this cough. I've always been like that though, it's why I hate getting sick. Takes me a couple of weeks to fully get over it.
Didn't stop our family trip though. We just got back. We had a great time! My little one was sick as well but we had a nice, private AirBnB cabin and just all had fun lazing around together NOT at home. lol We did let the owners know that we were sick so that they would do a better clean. I always travel with Lysol too anyway.

Cosmoprof doesn't have it and Ensley Beauty is sold out, but Idk for how long. I believe Ensley is Black-owned. They ship super fast. I've ordered from them several times. https://ensleybeautysupply.com/

I washed and conditioned my hair, then wet my hair 3 or 4 times. It's too hot for me outside.:couchfire:

I'm gonna have to do it again tomorrow. I have no idea what this means for my relaxed hair, but I cannot stand being hot. I'm glad I have these braids in.

giphy.gif

This is how my hair looks with a relaxer like I have never seen a relaxer in my life. I can tell tho when it was fresher relaxer ish it didn’t tangle much. Now it’s being a Velcro child.

The wild card for 2024 is really clocking into my hair needs/wants. She doesn’t like air drying much, she like deep luxe conditioning, she is bougie with niche taste, I guess she gets it from her momma.

I’m seeing my new growth is straight salt and pepper this is hitting me a bit more than I would like as it hits direct to my vanity. But grateful it seems my hair is filling in a bit.

@Plushottie we have to reign our bougie locks in!

Why come they only like the expensive stuff??? I've used up all the Redken leave-in. I loved that stuff! She wanted me to go back to Ulta to get more. I said no ma'am. We gon try out this 12 dolla bottle of Odele leave-in first! :lachen:

I'm airdrying with it now. I'll see how she likes it. Ulta has their 21 days of beauty going on, so I might have to give in and go get more Redken. :rolleyes:

I've been cruising along with GHEing and bun baggying. My hair has been loving it too! As a precaution, I decided to rub in a little protein. I do that to try to keep things balanced. However, instead of grabbing my trusty Infusium 23 as I usually do, I decided to try to find another use for this protein ayurvedic condish that I bought a while back.

1725893108446.png

Smells heavenly! And I usually only use it with its moisturizing Vatika olive oil counterpart. This time, since my hair was already so moisturized, I skipped that olive oil condish. I kept my hair scarfed up the next day and didn't touch it bc I was doing work around my mom's house. Yesterday, I went to M&S and my curly ends on my twists had all knotted up! smh.

I'm mad bc I'm typically super cautious about protein overload so I never add protein without moisture. I know better. AND, I'm so close to my hair reveal (to myself) in a couple of weeks after having it put away since December! :( So I spent last night trying to gently finger detangle the knots at the ends of my twists. And some I ripped out out of frustration. Then I doused my hair in this oil that I don't really want but need to use up.

1725893561235.png
And then applied Queen Helene Cholesterol and covered with a plastic cap and a grocery bag. Scarfed up and went to sleep.

I'll see the damage when I texlax and flat iron in a couple of weeks. sigh.

Positive: I'm able to bantu knot my hair again so I didn't need to use a ponytail holder to bun it away.

Last edited:
Here's the proof I needed that Odele is a keeper:

20240910_063944_resized.jpg

This is my hair this morning before moisturizing and bunning. When I airdry, my ends poof up (see my previous post). This is expected. I'm always trying to keep my ends most and smooth. Before bed, I put more Carrot Oil and a big dose of Odele on my ends and combed through with a fine- toothed comb. Only the last 2 inches! Not talking about all my hair. I'd break the comb! :lol: I sleep in a loose bun.

I love my ends looking like this without any oil added. Redken is still the bawse, but Odele is a good daily user. :up:

Here's the proof I needed that Odele is a keeper:

View attachment 498542

This is my hair this morning before moisturizing and bunning. When I airdry, my ends poof up (see my previous post). This is expected. I'm always trying to keep my ends most and smooth. Before bed, I put more Carrot Oil and a big dose of Odele on my ends and combed through with a fine- toothed comb. Only the last 2 inches! Not talking about all my hair. I'd break the comb! :lol: I sleep in a loose bun.

I love my ends looking like this without any oil added. Redken is still the bawse, but Odele is a good daily user. :up:
Welp...opens Odele site lol I pretty much follow you bc you've introduced me to good products. Neutrogena leave-in (I still have 4 bottles), Rusk Smoother, I ordered Redken bc I've missed it, and now this one lol Seems like we're both suckers for a good leave-in!

ETA: Do you recommend other products from the line?

Welp...opens Odele site lol I pretty much follow you bc you've introduced me to good products. Neutrogena leave-in (I still have 4 bottles), Rusk Smoother, I ordered Redken bc I've missed it, and now this one lol Seems like we're both suckers for a good leave-in!

ETA: Do you recommend other products from the line?

Lol! A good leave-in is my Boo!

I haven't tried anything else from Odele, but plan to. I still have to use the Redken heat protector whenever I decide to blowdry.

I have some Ulta coupons and rewards to use. These brands take all my lil discounts!

Another compare and contrast pic....

Here are my ends after drenching them with Pattern leave-in and letting them dry. Not bad and my hair is soft, but see how my ends are still poofed a little?

20240911_181304_resized.jpg

So here's what my hair is telling me about my leave-in experiment:

Pattern = Good

Odele = Better

Redken = Best

Back