Relaxed Hair Thread

I love a good protein treatment. They have saved my hair on more than one occasion. However, I also never do one without following up with a protein-free deep conditioner. I feel like I have more control over giving my hair exactly what it needs when I keep my moisture and protein products separate, rather than just using “balanced” products. They all have a place in my regimen though.
@Theresamonet
DITTO! :up:

I'm annoyed with my hair lol. I miss the styling options of my mini braids. Cornrows are just...there. I'm really annoyed because I want my ends and the rest of my hair to match. I look natural with heat damaged ends. It's too hot for me to wear my hair out. I'm tired of my hair looking natural, but it's too delicate to do anything else. I don't want to use heated appliances, I just want it to be as straight as possible with some thickness so I don't look bald and my scalp isn't hot. I can just finger detangle and go about my business. I need to do a hard protein treatment, and start doing deep conditioning again. I confess I haven't deep conditioned in a long time :laugh: :duck:I just been shampoo and conditioning. I think I'm just bored because my hair is in cornrows, but I don't want to take it down lol.

I'm annoyed with my hair lol. I miss the styling options of my mini braids. Cornrows are just...there. I'm really annoyed because I want my ends and the rest of my hair to match. I look natural with heat damaged ends. It's too hot for me to wear my hair out. I'm tired of my hair looking natural, but it's too delicate to do anything else. I don't want to use heated appliances, I just want it to be as straight as possible with some thickness so I don't look bald and my scalp isn't hot. I can just finger detangle and go about my business. I need to do a hard protein treatment, and start doing deep conditioning again. I confess I haven't deep conditioned in a long time :laugh: :duck:I just been shampoo and conditioning. I think I'm just bored because my hair is in cornrows, but I don't want to take it down lol.

You bet not take those cornrows down! :spank:
Lol

But seriously this can be the hard part of PSing for a lot of ladies. BUT when you consider that the cornrows not only protect your hair but they also allow for your scalp to breathe, thus giving you exactly what you were looking for, then there's a better case for keeping them in. You can focus on other things while your hair is protected. Like maybe do something special for your skincare or facial care. You can play with really pretty earrings or try something new with makeup. As for the cornrows, you could even play around with phony ponies and headbands. Maybe you can even do a little extra working out if you want to.

Also, you could do your protein and moisturizing DCs in the cornrows. I find it easier to do mine that way since I don't have to worry about detangling. I just tie them down after rinsing out my DC.

You bet not take those cornrows down! :spank:
Lol

But seriously this can be the hard part of PSing for a lot of ladies. BUT when you consider that the cornrows not only protect your hair but they also allow for your scalp to breathe, thus giving you exactly what you were looking for, then there's a better case for keeping them in. You can focus on other things while your hair is protected. Like maybe do something special for your skincare or facial care. You can play with really pretty earrings or try something new with makeup. As for the cornrows, you could even play around with phony ponies and headbands. Maybe you can even do a little extra working out if you want to.

Also, you could do your protein and moisturizing DCs in the cornrows. I find it easier to do mine that way since I don't have to worry about detangling. I just tie them down after rinsing out my DC.
Full confession: I did take three down, but I put them back up after I stopped tripping lol. I don't have much luck (for lack of a better word) at keeping the ponytails attached, but I will indulge in some headbands. You are so right about it being hard part of PSing. I'm used to doing styles, yet basically leaving it alone on my mini braids. The cornrows are a period of adjustment lol.

Full confession: I did take three down, but I put them back up after I stopped tripping lol. I don't have much luck (for lack of a better word) at keeping the ponytails attached, but I will indulge in some headbands. You are so right about it being hard part of PSing. I'm used to doing styles, yet basically leaving it alone on my mini braids. The cornrows are a period of adjustment lol.

Girl, I was almost gonna jump across Lake Michigan!! :lachen: I'm glad you're giving it a chance. I think you'll appreciate the break and the benefits!

Yes, it is definitely a bit of retraining the mind when you're used to mini braids. I treat cornrows like a HYH challenge. And it works bc the hair is more "out of sight, out of mind" than with mini braids where I can do random pull down tests like a maniac. lol

Maybe you make your own phony pony by putting some braiding hair through a ponytail holder so that it hangs in half on the holder. And then hold the braid hair out of the way and make a ponytail with your cornrow tails using that ponytail holder. The hair would be more securely attached to your cornrowed bun/ponytail. You could then do a big braid with the braid hair. Or if the hair is curly, you could fluff it around the bun or pin it? A long time ago, I used to do that on loose hair when my hair was shorter. I even rocked those butterfly clips with it like I was pinning up my own hair. :giggle:

@ItsMeLilLucky you about to have a women with a bun in the oven tap your legs. Leave that hair alone. I totally get the ps thing tho. I wanted to do phony pony and my hair might as well be natural because it’s a fro.

Relaxing for it to revert like this has me really wondering if in old age my hair is very resistant and I’m going to have to accept wigs are the only way for me to look together. It’s wild.

Why is my hair suddenly frizzy? Never in my life have I had to deal with frizz but now all of a sudden I wash and condition my hair, put some curls in and then it's frizzy. It's just like a big pouffball smh

I can only think that it's peri menopause doing a number on me because my technique hasn't changed.

Why is my hair suddenly frizzy? Never in my life have I had to deal with frizz but now all of a sudden I wash and condition my hair, put some curls in and then it's frizzy. It's just like a big pouffball smh

I can only think that it's peri menopause doing a number on me because my technique hasn't changed.
If the products, weather, or your health that you used haven't changed then it might be the peri menopause.

Thought I'd see if I finally have enough hair to do a braidout like I used to. My first attempt was a little bit of a 'fail', but I know what I did wrong and can fix it as my hair grows longer.

Here's how I went to bed Friday night:
20240719_221959.jpg

Fluffed out the next morning:
20240720_073950.jpg

Thought of wearing half up/half down, but those straight pieces wouldn't let me be great:
20240720_092223.jpg

Swooped up in a low bun and went on about my day:
20240720_074155.jpg

What I learned:

I braided my hair to soon. Need to let it airdry longer. The damp hair caused too much frizz and straight pieces.

Totally forgot to add more Rusk smoother before braiding. No smoother = frizz

Day 2 of the braidout looked a little better. Less waves, but a nice poof - no pics. I think I remember Sylver2 (remember her?) talking about that. The older the braidout, the better it looked. I used to use her method of a braidout refresh to make them last longer.

It's fun to see what I can do with my hair now that I'm retaining a little length. Can't wait to get back to BSL.... and beyond!

@LushLox OMG! Is frizz yet another crap thing I have to deal with in perimenopause???
LAWD! :thud:

My post above talked about frizz! I thought I've been dealing with more of it. Ugh!

Luckily, I already bun everyday!

I feel like we're e-cousins at a sleepover at Mrs. Peri's house!

I turned 45 in April and now I run hot all of the time - especially at night, always itchy, always tired, usually annoyed lol, my hair is acting like a toddler in its terrible 2s, and I have facial/chin hair sprouting like a Chia Pet. Sigh.

Okay, fuller confession, I took all my hair down, washed, conditioned, deep conditioned, cool blow dried and straightened it :duck: :laugh:
I couldn't resist lol I do feel tons better though lolol I sweated my scalp out at church though. Had too much fun praising the LORD.

Ms.Peri is a lot esp for those who are going through this before 40. @sunnieb I do believe the relaxer strength is weaker now then add a bit of the Peri two step and I’m under processed looking like a heat trained natural.

I took a page from you all and created a note in my phone of all hair care products mainly poo and conditioner to see if it’s about anything. So far only one that got trashed was joico it’s like that dude who talked mad game and then you try and it left much to be desired.

I’m on a if it’s not a hit it’s trash.

@Plushottie I'm right there with you!

I treat hair products like marriage. One and done!

I don't give something a second chance to mess me over. If a product didn't work the first time, that's it!

I still remember when LHCF was crazy for Aussie Moist. I tried that stuff once and my hair matted up like I was a year post relaxer! Threw that big bottle in the trash and never looked back.

Back